Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

acnumber9

How am I all over the place???
On one hand you’re saying somebody injured should be stretchered off and on the other you’re saying you could walk off with snapped Achilles. I’m not sure why I need to explain this.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
On one hand you’re saying somebody injured should be stretchered off and on the other you’re saying you could walk off with snapped Achilles. I’m not sure why I need to explain this.
That's how you twisted that? What I'm saying is that you don't lie there like you're dead with the play going on around you in our 18 only to walk off 2 minutes later. If he could walk off 2 minutes later he could have gotten up and at the very least hobbled to try and help out, not lie there like he's dead

Chief123

That's how you twisted that? What I'm saying is that you don't lie there like you're dead with the play going on around you in our 18 only to walk off 2 minutes later. If he could walk off 2 minutes later he could have gotten up and at the very least hobbled to try and help out, not lie there like he's dead
Have you ever rolled your ankle in a football match?

Chief123

Yes...and I didn't lie there like I've been shot while the opponent is attacking all around me. I got up, hobbled and tried to help my team. And as soon as the ball went out, then I went to the floor..
Then you’ve clearly not rolled your ankle badly. It’s extremely painful and not something anyone would get up within seconds and be back on their feet.

acnumber9

But how is walking around injured helping? Take the Maguire tinted specs off.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Think he's laughing at you missing context, Maguire sits deep and regularly waits for the ball to cut it out rather than be proactive and step in and tackle. You would expect Maguire to be higher on blocks and perhaps even aerial duels but you only need your eyes to realise that Varane has more chance of stopping 99% of defenders than Maguire on current form.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Then you’ve clearly not rolled your ankle badly. It’s extremely painful and not something anyone would get up within seconds and be back on their feet.
He was up walking moments after the whistle blew and tried to carry on. I'm not doubting that he was injured. I'm saying to be a warrior and try to carry on. Don't lie there like you've been shot while your opponent is deep in your 18. If this was Maguire you'd be all over him. Slag off players for what they did, not who they are. Enough with the agendas already...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Think he's laughing at you missing context, Maguire sits deep and regularly waits for the ball to cut it out rather than be proactive and step in and tackle. You would expect Maguire to be higher on blocks and perhaps even aerial duels but you only need your eyes to realise that Varane has more chance of stopping 99% of defenders than Maguire on current form.
Then why say Maguire wouldn't block it when he clearly has more blocks per 90 than Varane...

Chief123

He was up walking moments after the whistle blew and tried to carry on. I'm not doubting that he was injured. I'm saying to be a warrior and try to carry on. Don't lie there like you've been shot while your opponent is deep in your 18. If this was Maguire you'd be all over him. Slag off players for what they did, not who they are. Enough with the agendas already...
I’ve rolled my ankle many times and it’s incredibly painful for a good minute or so. After which I’ve been able to get up a few minutes later and even continue playing. There’s been absolutely no chance I’d be able to get up within seconds. To suggest he should have got up immediately is irrational as he was clearly hurt and wasn’t even able to continue through it.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
But how is walking around injured helping? Take the Maguire tinted specs off.
This has absolutely nothing to do with Maguire. I like Varane and have no problem at all with him starting over Maguire. This is about not being a pussy. Get up and try and help. Lying on the ground helps nobody. Especially if you are suddenly able to get up as soon as the play is over. Maybe if he tried we could have just cleared it and there wouldn't have been a corner kick. I can't believe others aren't having a problem with this. It reminded me of when De Gea lied on the ground last year and Arsenal scored. Get up and try to do whatever you can. Don't just lie there like you've been shot...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I’ve rolled my ankle many times and it’s incredibly painful for a good minute or so. After which I’ve been able to get up a few minutes later and even continue playing. There’s been absolutely no chance I’d be able to get up within seconds. To suggest he should have got up immediately is irrational as he was clearly hurt and wasn’t even able to continue through it.
Sometimes you have to wonder where posters takes come from. As you said what generally happens with this type of injuries is that it's very painful when it happens, then the pain reduces after a few minutes and as long as you are warm you are able to play with a bit of pain. Now when it gets cold you are going to feel it properly.

acnumber9

This has absolutely nothing to do with Maguire. I like Varane and have no problem at all with him starting over Maguire. This is about not being a pussy. Get up and try and help. Lying on the ground helps nobody. Especially if you are suddenly able to get up as soon as the play is over. Maybe if he tried we could have just cleared it and there wouldn't have been a corner kick. I can't believe others aren't having a problem with this. It reminded me of when De Gea lied on the ground last year and Arsenal scored. Get up and try to do whatever you can. Don't just lie there like you've been shot...
Playing injured helps nobody. And he wasn’t able to get straight up. He received treatment which meant he had to go off for the corner.

Skills

Snitch
Sometimes you have to wonder where posters takes come from. As you said what generally happens with this type of injuries is that it's very painful when it happens, then the pain reduces after a few minutes and as long as you are warm you are able to play with a bit of pain. Now when it gets cold you are going to feel it properly.
I did mine about a year ago. Rolled it, was down for a while. Was able to put enough pressure on it to play the rest of the game in goal, and then when I took my cleats off it looked like I had a tennis ball attached to my ankle.

Couldn't walk on it for 3 days after.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Playing injured helps nobody. And he wasn’t able to get straight up. He received treatment which meant he had to go off for the corner.
It's just bizarre people think that he should have hobbled around and tried to somehow influence the game.
Utterly different from De Gea lying in a heap when someone gently trod on him last year and didn't go off.

Foxbatt

I have a feeling that Maguire also has a PR Firm. It seems that a few are here too.

Strats

Good news I suppose, even if its a blow that he's absent for a while.

Based on the way his foot moved, I thought he was a bit lucky not landing with his foot on the grass where he could have potentially made it worse by getting stuck with his studs twisting it even further. Don't even want to phantom what damage that could have caused.

acnumber9

Had he got up and not lied like he'd been shot there may not have been a corner
They may have just scored instead. For somebody who says it’s not about him being a ‘pussy’ you’re using a lot of emotive wording. You have 14 posts in this thread and every single one has been since Sunday. You’re possibly the worst poster in this forum. Certainly one of the weirdest.

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
They may have just scored instead. For somebody who says it’s not about him being a ‘pussy’ you’re using a lot of emotive wording. You have 14 posts in this thread and every single one has been since Sunday. You’re possibly the worst poster in this forum. Certainly one of the weirdest.
I'm replying to people. Not making new posts. I'm just amazed that nobody else has a problem with one of our players lying there acting like he's shot. I'd just like people to make posts based on what our players do, not who did it. If that was Maguire the caf would be losing their shit

Doracle

It was weird how he stayed down motionless after the injury. I guess it was a gamble that the ref would think he was seriously injured and stop play but, after 30 seconds or so, it should have become apparent that wasn’t going to happen.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I did mine about a year ago. Rolled it, was down for a while. Was able to put enough pressure on it to play the rest of the game in goal, and then when I took my cleats off it looked like I had a tennis ball attached to my ankle.

Couldn't walk on it for 3 days after.
Done my right foot this way last year. Fecking agony when it happened, played on and then was out for 2 months.

InfiniteBoredom

I have never lied on the floor acting like I was dead only to get up 2 minutes later and try to play on. I can't believe people are actually defending this?
He was off the field getting treatment 2 minutes later, then tried to continue before it was evident he couldn’t when he lost Haaland for the 3rd, but don’t let facts get into the way of your agenda.

The first bad match/injury he’s had in a while and you are here piping up, while playing the missing act up til now, predictable.

Chief123

Varane needs to toughen up. Nothing worse than seeing a player lying on the ground while the opposition is attacking. Get up, show some balls and take one for the team. Sure, he was injured, but you still have to try.
So just lie on the ground acting like you're dead only to try and play on 3 minutes later? If he was really that hurt he'd be stretchered off, not walk off on his own. Get up and show some balls.
Yes...and I didn't lie there like I've been shot while the opponent is attacking all around me. I got up, hobbled and tried to help my team. And as soon as the ball went out, then I went to the floor..
He was up walking moments after the whistle blew and tried to carry on. I'm not doubting that he was injured. I'm saying to be a warrior and try to carry on. Don't lie there like you've been shot while your opponent is deep in your 18.
This is about not being a pussy. Get up and try and help. Lying on the ground helps nobody. Especially if you are suddenly able to get up as soon as the play is over.

Get up and try to do whatever you can. Don't just lie there like you've been shot...
Had he got up and not lied like he'd been shot there may not have been a corner
I have never lied on the floor acting like I was dead only to get up 2 minutes later and try to play on. I can't believe people are actually defending this?
I'm replying to people. Not making new posts. I'm just amazed that nobody else has a problem with one of our players lying there acting like he's shot. I'd just like people to make posts based on what our players do, not who did it. If that was Maguire the caf would be losing their shit
I mean if you regurgitate the same nonsense enough times you’re bound to convince yourself you must be right.

A-man

That corner goal highlighted two things imo.
1. we only had two good aerial players on the pitch- Varane and McT. The rest are mediocre in that sense.
2. There is no organisation or leadership what so ever. How come Eriksen marked Haaland?

Chief123

1. we only had two good aerial players on the pitch- Varane and McT. The rest are mediocre in that sense.
2. There is no organisation or leadership what so ever. How come Eriksen marked Haaland?
It did seem strange at the time but like you said, when you go through the team there weren’t any alternatives.

Nowadays, the tall players tend to mark zones and attack the ball whereas the weaker players pick up men. We only had McTominay who had a presence.

The alternatives to pick up Haaland were Sancho, Antony, Bruno, Rashford, Malacia, Martinez, Dalot. None of them would give me confidence in marking him either.

acnumber9

If the mods take action against a member for sticking up for a player who is getting bullied then this place is right f***ed
We need to do better as a forum than to continue to bully one of our own players.
But because it's Maguire it's been blown way out of proportion because the muppets that are United "supporters" look for reasons to take the piss at and bully him.
The nerve of a person like me standing up for a United player on a United forum.
The classic Caf behaviour is the herd mentality of over reacting to something Maguire has done when he did nothing wrong.
Lies....he was never protected. Stand up for him and stop being his biggest bullies
Whatever you need to tell yourself to keep from feeling guilty about your online bullying
You really need to stop bullying Varane.

A-man

It did seem strange at the time but like you said, when you go through the team there weren’t any alternatives.

Nowadays, the tall players tend to mark zones and attack the ball whereas the weaker players pick up men. We only had McTominay who had a presence.

The alternatives to pick up Haaland were Sancho, Antony, Bruno, Rashford, Malacia, Martinez, Dalot. None of them would give me confidence in marking him either.
Yes I noticed that last season as well, the two CBs plus McT always marked zones. In this situation, with Varane out, the only reasonable thing would have been for McTominay to go for Haaland imo. It felt as this was a miss in communication.

We conceded 5 corner in total. 1 with Varane on the pitch, 1 when he was off injured and 3 when he was replaced by Lindeof. I don’t remember how we marked Haaland at those other occasions.

Lentwood

Zonal marking. The old 'big lads take big lads' man-for-man system was pretty easy to abuse because it was too easy to take the opposition's best defensive headers out of the game.

With zonal marking, the best headers of the ball are always in the positions which require the most defending.

Now, the obvious problem with that is that if you're marking an area, the attackers are going to be able to get a run on you and should have an advantage if the delivery is right.

So...what you do is, ask the players who are not good defensive headers/smaller to block the opponents runs.

What happened on Sunday was that McT was in the key defensive position and Haaland was the target. Eriksen should have been blocking Haaland but it was a pathetic attempt. Just as teams have blockers for attackers, teams have blockers/distracters for defenders...so Gundogan was occupying McT, Eriksen didn't do his job, the delivery was great and Haaland was able to get up high and score.

I played for many years at CB/CDM and was always the main (or one of the main) defenders/attackers of a set-piece. I hated man-for-man because it's nearly impossible to prevent a good header of the ball getting a run on you from a standing start. Plus, opponents would block you off. I would much rather be given an area to defend.

Status
Not open for further replies.