Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RuudtheRed

Oh for sure. The amount of people who tried to claim Maguire provided more on the ball and made Varane out to be Smalling-esque on the ball was crazy.
To be fair I always felt Smalling was always overly criticised for his passing and Maguire was overrated for his passing. One of the posters said above that Varane is like peak Smalling without the weaknesses and I can certainly understand that. Not so much a Rio but more of a polished Vidic to me

I don't think Varane plays midfield splitting passes often like Martinez does, but with either Shaw or Martinez partnering him it makes a great centerback pairing

NoPace

I mean plus he’s just much better on the ball in general.
England is just overly obsessed with the diagonal ball because they hate risking losing possession in the midfield, which is why they can't produce a #8 (Bellingham is an 8/10, he's Modric at Madrid, not Kroos). They could have won the World Cup if a decent but not elite #8 like Lobotka, Mac Allister or even Douglas Luiz was English.

Valencia Shin Crosses

England is just overly obsessed with the diagonal ball because they hate risking losing possession in the midfield, which is why they can't produce a #8 (Bellingham is an 8/10, he's Modric at Madrid, not Kroos). They could have won the World Cup if a decent but not elite #8 like Lobotka, Mac Allister or even Douglas Luiz was English.
Yeah I genuinely can't think of the last good true 8 England has produced. Carrick I guess? Wilshere probably should have been that had he not gotten hurt either, but those two are the only ones I can think of

Chairman Steve

Just remember Ferguson was very keen to sign him like 12 years ago, before Zidane came in at the 11th hour. I believe he’s the closest thing we’ve had to Rio since he left 10 years ago. A silky, stylish centreback who is comfortable with the ball at his feet.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Said it before but he'll be getting my vote for our player of the season, just an incredible player. Really embraced the leadership role this season.

Rossa

Said it before but he'll be getting my vote for our player of the season, just an incredible player. Really embraced the leadership role this season.
It might just be the least controversial opinion in here, mate. He's been utterly brilliant this season. For me, it's between him and Casemiro with Rashford on the fringes. Then there are other good alternatives such as Shaw and Martinez, but for me, Varane and Casemiro.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It might just be the least controversial opinion in here, mate. He's been utterly brilliant this season. For me, it's between him and Casemiro with Rashford on the fringes. Then there are other good alternatives such as Shaw and Martinez, but for me, Varane and Casemiro.
How nice is it to have multiple candidates for a change? :lol:

Man Utd 2:0 Nottingham Forest

Sylar

Jeez, when he went down from that late challenge, i was a little worried. Thankfully nothing much and he continued, then was subbed.
Hes class. Him and Martinez together are great.

Samoerai Jack

I've been paying a bit more attention to him and he really is so good at his role. Just flawless performances which makes the game so much more comfortable for his teammates. Not the one for the spectacular, like his partner Martinez, but silently getting everything right. Like an elementary school teacher quietly cleaning up the mess the kids are making without them even noticing. My man of the match today, and retrospectively, of many more.

Shai-Hulud

Might not be "great news" for us... If he's retiring from the NT before age 30 there's probably a reason for it beyond just wanting to focus on club + family. We'll see.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Good to see a player able to see reality and act in the best interests of those that pay his wages.

Great player as he is, he is brittle as feck and any move to lessen the strains on his body should be applauded. I doubt he’s going to have a mega long career and play into his late 30’s as he’s already so prone to injury.

Good move dude!

MUFC OK

Definitely good for us. If he stays injury free there's no reason he cant play for another 5-6 years. Do we have an extra year option on him?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Might not be "great news" for us... If he's retiring from the NT before age 30 there's probably a reason for it beyond just wanting to focus on club + family. We'll see.
The reason seems somewhat obvious. He's won the world cup and the nations league, and in insanely dramatic standards lost a second world cup final. There's nothing more for him to prove or do for France. Maybe he could've gone for 100 caps but that would've been another year or so of NT football, so meh.

romufc

Great news for us, a bit surprising but probably feels he's done as much as he could at international level.
Got to multiple finals, won a WC and lost another in the final.

Will he be about for the next WC, probably not.

A-man

It’s good considering the circumstances, but you are probably right. His decision means he has come to the conclusion that he doesn’t have good enough physique despite only being 29.

RuudTom83

Probably just wants an easier life with his family...I hope that's the main reason.

He is in Year 2 of a possible 5 Year deal at United so its a plus for his club career.

AdNani

It’s good considering the circumstances, but you are probably right. His decision means he has come to the conclusion that he doesn’t have good enough physique despite only being 29.
Didn't Scholes retire early? Plenty of players do it, Doesn't mean he's not got the body for it, bit of an assumption

MUFC OK

Probably just wants an easier life with his family...I hope that's the main reason.

He is in Year 2 of a possible 5 Year deal at United so its a plus for his club career.
Exactly. Living in Manchester and travelling to France/all over Europe, in addition to United commitments is a lot with a young family.

Djemba-Djemba

Scholes retired from international football in 2004 and was still playing for Utd 9 years later.

A-man

Scholes retired from international football in 2004 and was still playing for Utd 9 years later.
It’s however hardly a good thing if a 29 year old player thinks his body can’t take it. The decision is good however.
Didn't Scholes retire early? Plenty of players do it, Doesn't mean he's not got the body for it, bit of an assumption
Yes it’s a bit of an assumption, but it’s not a wild guess. He has been injured a lot since he came here and ETH has talked about how Varane’s fitness must be managed.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It’s however hardly a good thing if a 29 year old player thinks his body can’t take it. The decision is good however.
If you have been coping with injuries as a footballer since a young age and still play at the highest level at 29, with 4-5 competitions each season it's beneficial for your pay-check to get the free rest when you can. International football is just that, a good weeks rest.

Also, this guy is mint. Looks so assured and confident. I didn't know he was going to be such a leader but he is reminding me of Rio in his latter years.

Status
Not open for further replies.