Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why’s he retired from France at age 29? I mean it’s good for us. All his focus will now be on club football. France have decent young players coming through anyway.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
A few years ago it would have been seen as a very disrespectful move to retire from international football. It's now completely accepted as a normal thing to do and I I'm not sure I'm on board with that. Especially when Varane still has a clear role to play as a leader for the next generation.
I don't blame players at all, they are forced to make these decisions by greedy organizations stockpiling games at international and club levels to make as much money as they can.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He was with Lloris, Giroud, Griezman and Pogba the core of Deschamps team.

Now that all of them, except Griezman have retired for international, he just followed his group.

Varane is not really close with the new generation, the likes of Upamecano, Kounde, Konate, Hernandez, Tchouameni etc. Different ages so it s just having a new generation.

And I think he understood, since he came at United, that he s not capable anymore to play 60 games a year, so he made the right choice for his career and for us.

A-man

A few years ago it would have been seen as a very disrespectful move to retire from international football. It's now completely accepted as a normal thing to do and I I'm not sure I'm on board with that. Especially when Varane still has a clear role to play as a leader for the next generation.
I don't blame players at all, they are forced to make these decisions by greedy organizations stockpiling games at international and club levels to make as much money as they can.
Kind of agree with that. Wonder if that is part of some negotiation between the clubs and older players. Zlatan retired at the same time he signed for United (and then made a comeback some years later).

In the end the clubs pay them big money and want them to be fit for as many games as possible. The international football also seems extra risky for some reason. We have got back players injured from NT , Varane included, and the same for many other clubs. Isak got a pretty bad injurywith the Swedish NT just two matches after he signed for Newcastle.

Dannn411

Such a great player. Hopefully less injuries now with the France retirement. He can keep going till his mid 30s with his style.

Man Utd 2:1 Crystal Palace

Sylar

Martinez motm but varane did things so fantastically well next to him. Such a great partnership

Olecurls99

Incredibly knee-jerk. He gave us what we need when he came in, fair play to him.

We are equally crap with him though. He is poor on the ball, over commits a lot of the time. Can see him starting against Liverpool and making silly mistakes again, and get injured.
Aged like milk

Olecurls99

One thing I find interesting about Varane is the misconception that he's this rolls royce style defender when he's anything but. He's quick and calm and hence gives that impression. But he's actually really average on the ball by modern CB standards.
Some gold here :lol:

NoPace

Carried the ball more today than usual. Looked a bit more confident in his fitness in that regard.

KjaAnd

Did anyone else notice the way he was running at times today? He looked like he was limping and running half-speed when in fact sprinting. Got me seriously worried, but haven't seen anything about it.

criticalanalysis

Did anyone else notice the way he was running at times today? He looked like he was limping and running half-speed when in fact sprinting. Got me seriously worried, but haven't seen anything about it.
He does have a ungainly gait and posture, which probably doesn't help on the naked eye but yes he does seem to be moving a bit more cautiously imo. Not that he was all about high intensity sprints and getting touch tight anyways.

I think he's wisely playing within himself and luckily we can just about afford to do that. Not sure how sustainable it is though i.e him not firing on all cylinders physically (like earlier in the season) and his body. Him retiring from international football is a very good career move.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
With Casemiro missing now do we dare rest Varane in any of the upcoming games so he's fit for the cup final?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He doesn’t get much respect from the English football watching masses does he? Apart from United fans obviously. Be very interested to see if he makes any team of year lineups at the end, for me he’s easily a top 5 CB in the league and has as good a claim as anyone to be the best.

mu4c_20le

I think some unfairly hold him to much higher standards because of his achievements. He has been as solid as Rio ever was.

Lost bear

He doesn’t get much respect from the English football watching masses does he? Apart from United fans obviously. Be very interested to see if he makes any team of year lineups at the end, for me he’s easily a top 5 CB in the league and has as good a claim as anyone to be the best.
Yes, totally. He’s a wonderful player, such a smart defender. I’m so delighted when watching the partnership between him and Licha. What a transformation from last year!

Bert_

The best defenders often go unnoticed by the regular fan. Blood an thunder defender always make the highlight reels so get the most coverage. It was the reason you had loads of non-united fans saying Vidic (as good as he was) was better than Rio at the time. It was clear as day to anyone that watched united on the regular that Rio was the superior player. He shepherded attackers down blind alleys and broke down attacks before they even started.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He is the best in the league for my money, especially when you consider his pedigree.

A-man

Overall a poor game and looked a bit stressed by Leeds’ intense press.

He and Martinez looked exposed without Casemiro, in a similar way as last season.
On the positive side were his attempt in the opponents box where he was close to scoring a few times.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Probably his worst game all season. Had a horrid first half against Bamford and then the own goal.

-Supreme-

Leeds were happily give Varane time on the ball but his passing is fairly limited and he was exposed even more without our first choice CM.

Idxomer

He was a bit of a mess, would be tempted to start Lindelof or Maguire instead of him in the next game.

CloneMC16

Horrible, but the backline was very exposed. Worst game he's played this season easily.

footballbite

Where the hell was the going for their first goal? Obviously Gnonto went on to shoot through exactly where Varane should have been.

Topped it off with the OG as well.

It was a very odd showing from him as he'd been immense for the few games prior to this.

RuudTom83

Midfield was invisible tonight so he was left with the task of a CB and a CM.

Would of been pure drama if he headed the winner mind>

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Very much felt like Armas had seen something in his time at United with Varane and they set up to target him tonight. Varane look baffled as to where to pass the ball every time he received it. They stood off him, closed off his passing channels, and he looked to have no composure or vision to find a non-immediate pass.

ti vu

Very much felt like Armas had seen something in his time at United with Varane and they set up to target him tonight. Varane look baffled as to where to pass the ball every time he received it. They stood off him, closed off his passing channels, and he looked to have no composure or vision to find a non-immediate pass.
Or they're blocking passing lanes to any other rather than Fred. We all saw what happened when Fred received the ball, and in the midst of action this game...

It's no tactical masterclass. ETH messed up with Rashford position and starting Weghorst this game (we don't need him this game), compound with absence of multiple key players.

Had ETH played Rashford upfront. Even if we conceded the same early goal, I believe we might have equalized at 1-1 sooner, and prevented the second goal, while finding at least one winner goal.

Leeds capitalized mostly from us unable to quick counter through the middle, exploiting their high line when they press. If they're pinned back, they're shite at defending in the box even against the non traditional CF like Rashford. There is a reason, McTominay dominate with his physicality against Leeds, or how we had no issue playing Bruno as false #9, Pogba through ball against Leeds no long ago. Yet that same tactic failed miserably against most other teams.

Last edited:

criticalanalysis

Or they're blocking passing lanes to any other rather than Fred. We all saw what happened when Fred received the ball, and in the midst of action this game...
Agreed. I thought Varane was 'fine' on the ball; he could have been more adventurous but it's understandable as they were pressing almost one on one. It's more of a problem on ETH and the team set up because apart from Fred, Shaw and Dalot, no one else was dropping deep or fast enough for us to progress the ball. That improved in the 2nd half of course when we increased our tempo.

Status
Not open for further replies.