Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
A few players will take the headlines but Varane was sensational tonight. Outstanding from the first minute to the last and pretty much kept Lewandowski in his pocket almost all of the game, even man handling him at points. I'm genuinely surprised how great he's been this season if I'm honest after a worrying start to his United career, really showing his class now and deserves massive credit for his performance tonight.
Form us temporary, class is permanent etc.

Rossa

On that turn on the half way circle, play Lindelof or Maguire in that exact same situation and it's either a goal or a straight red. He's showing great physicality and has that calmness about him that I really like. He's also a little more adventurous going forwards with the ball, although it is quite clear why he's not a midfielder. Lewandowski was tamed, and Varane also did a great job at covering for some of AWB's positional lapses down the flank.

Sylar

Eh..Varane is a good defender but he has never been a leader of defense. Always had one beside him doing such job (Ramos). Martinez was the main leader of defense. Things will improve once he's back and Varane becomes focused on what he does best.
Interesting theory.

ETH basically said Varane is the leader of the defence. And even recently Shaw complimented Varanes leadership and communication for helping him settle as CB.

OmarUnited4ever

Interesting theory.

ETH basically said Varane is the leader of the defence. And even recently Shaw complimented Varanes leadership and communication for helping him settle as CB.
With his quite and calm demeaner, he gives the impression of not being the leader, but I see him as the leader of the defense even when Licha is on the pitch, for example you can see it when the team is defending a set-piece.

Sylar

With his quite and calm demeaner, he gives the impression of not being the leader, but I see him as the leader of the defense even when Licha is on the pitch, for example you can see it when the team is defending a set-piece.
Well... added to this, at Etihad we fell apart completely at the back when Varane went off. Its those games we see the benefits.
Of course, for big games you really want all your best players (so thats Varane, Martinez and Casemiro as the trio)

gza the genius

He's been a revelation this season, which is sort of a funny thing to say given his entire career. I genuinely thought he was finished after last season, he only ever looked good in glimpses and could barely stay fit. We really need a good backup for him so we can manage his playing time a little better, we look so much better and calm when he plays.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He can be rested against Leicester. Lindelof is an able deputy to handle Leicester forwards.

We have a big final coming and really need this guy fit .

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He's a very good player and massive for us when fit. I will say though, anyone thinks he's better than Martinez at this stage clearly arent watching. Martinez has performed at a level I haven't seen at this club since Rio, at times he's a one man defender and fantastic playmaker all rolled into one. They compliment each other fantastically thankfully and are easily our best partnership since Rio and Vidic but I do think its pretty clear who is the better of the two.

jackal&hyde

On that turn on the half way circle, play Lindelof or Maguire in that exact same situation and it's either a goal or a straight red. He's showing great physicality and has that calmness about him that I really like. He's also a little more adventurous going forwards with the ball, although it is quite clear why he's not a midfielder. Lewandowski was tamed, and Varane also did a great job at covering for some of AWB's positional lapses down the flank.
He was a key player even though he tends to go under the radar.

If Martinez is our Ferrari, aggressive and assertive, Varane is the Rolls Royce. Understated while reliable and almost perfect.

saivet

Well deserved rest for him. Expect him to start the next two, rest for West Ham and back against Liverpool. I think ETH has managed him well as I can imagine under Ole or Jose he'd get run into the ground.

ti vu

A clearance as important as a goal here. With him, Barcelona almost has no threat running in behind even if we pushed the line high

Edwards6

Think that was Varane's best game for us so far, partnership with Martinez is the best in the league

Dominos

On the Talk of The Devils podcast someone said there’s concern in the club about Varane’s knees. That’s why he can only play one game/week. Not ideal, if true. Could this be a Lesley King scenario?
Has he actually had knee injuries since joining? I thought it was all pulled muscle. Or are they related?

GMoore23

Retired from International football now too. Hopefully that prolongs his career with us.

El Jefe

Europa League Varane. Such an excellent defender, just goes about his business quietly and gets shit done.

His experience and reading of the play is so important for us.

Chip

Beautiful man and player :devil: What a partnership to have in him and Licha (and Shaw).

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Him and Martinez are elite, what a CB pair we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.