Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
But he'll be desperate to go to PSG who wait have won 0 CL trophies in their entire history.

Some of you lot can't even be consistent with what you bash Ole and United about ffs.
Indeed, it's poor little Ole we're out to get, the whole world is against him, just like poor little Rashford.

It's nothing to do with the fact Varane is French and might enjoy living in his home country or playing alongside his country's best player and potentially 2nd best player if Pogba joins next season.

It's a conspiracy, for sure. Just make sure you don't beat up those windmills, whilst you're at it.

zenith

He's 100% going to sign a new contract with real Madrid.

SinNombre

Indeed, it's poor little Ole we're out to get, the whole world is against him, just like poor little Rashford.

It's nothing to do with the fact Varane is French and might enjoy living in his home country or playing alongside his country's best player and potentially 2nd best player if Pogba joins next season.

It's a conspiracy, for sure. Just make sure you don't beat up those windmills, whilst you're at it.
Keep moving goalposts :lol:

SATA

I think Ancelotti will convince him to sign the new contract and we'll move on to Plan B, probably the Sevilla CB

OmarUnited4ever

I think Ancelotti will convince him to sign the new contract and we'll move on to Plan B, probably the Sevilla CB
That's possible, but if we go by reports, they've been trying to tie him down with a new contract since 12 months or so, and Zidane who was instrumental in bringing him to RM in 2011 and a manager he played for several years couldn't convince him, so this time he might be serious about leaving, this also an opportunity for him to get a big contract, he is only 28, and plenty of EPL clubs would want him (also PSG or Bayern might be interested if the reported fee of 35-40 m euros are true), so he will have great options, so this really up in the air, he might stay or leave

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I have my doubt whether Varane will be the right choice, I just don't really rate his style. I prefer Kounde personally and also much younger with top class potential. I rate Kimpembe better than Varane and also Marquinhos over Varane, I don't see Varane as world class CB honestly. But Varane is indeed still a big upgrade of Lindelof and the guy is proven not bottler with good concentration skill to defend as he proved himself won a World Cup playing next to Umtiti who is not really a leader and world class like Ramos.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I have my doubt whether Varane will be the right choice, I just don't really rate his style. I prefer Kounde personally and also much younger with top class potential. I rate Kimpembe better than Varane and also Marquinhos over Varane, I don't see Varane as world class CB honestly. But Varane is indeed still a big upgrade of Lindelof and the guy is proven not bottler with good concentration skill to defend as he proved himself won a World Cup playing next to Umtiti who is not really a leader and world class like Ramos.
Yeah I don’t think he is top level albeit he’s better than Lindelof of course. Would seem to be another case of signing someone who is a ‘big name’ who happens to be available on the cheap, rather than going for the right signing.

Can7onA

Theres no way Ramos and Varane are both leaving in the same window.

romufc

He's 100% going to sign a new contract with real Madrid.
Exactly. We should never get our hopes up for signing someone who is in contract negotiations at Madrid.

We have seen it with Ramos, Ronaldo over the years that they use Manutd as bait to get a better deal.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Indeed, what you state is exactly what'd appeal to Varane, a player with 3 consecutive CL wins.

He'll come here for the Ole vibes, not to join the current European champions. Some of lot, seriously.

Edit: I was wrong, he's got 4 CL trophies.
Shouldn’t you be busy planning our demise to league 2 and the devaluing of the club to force the Glazers out? Why the feck are you in the transfer forum craving world class players for - It’s the last thing you want surely?

The number of MikeLUHG Ole bashing shitehawks that are allowed to infect their inane fecking drivel onto every thread on this place is getting insanely tedious.

RedAlert7

Does anyone know when UEFA will make a decision about whether they are banning real, barca and juve from the champions league for not leaving the ESL? Could be a huge factor whether we sign varane or not.

peridigm

Does anyone know when UEFA will make a decision about whether they are banning real, barca and juve from the champions league for not leaving the ESL? Could be a huge factor whether we sign varane or not.
Do you really expect that to happen? Banning them would further water down the competition.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I can see why people think he might go to Chelsea. Hazard chose Chelsea purely because they won the CL after all, they finished fifth that year and one of the top talents in the world went to them solely because they won the CL.

However, we've been after Varane for a decade and that might make him feel more wanted here.

But the smart money is he renews at Real. Until he actually signs for another club, that's what I think will happen.

Redfrog

Indeed, what you state is exactly what'd appeal to Varane, a player with 3 consecutive CL wins.

He'll come here for the Ole vibes, not to join the current European champions. Some of lot, seriously.

Edit: I was wrong, he's got 4 CL trophies.
Why does it matter to join the current European champion ? It’s not as they are likely to win it next year. It is not a trophy you win every year unless you are called Real Madrid.
We finished ahead of Chelsea 2 times in a row and have a young team.
We are the biggest club in England with the biggest stadium in the country, and we were interested by him since he was 18 years old.
So there is no reason for Chelsea to be ahead of us. It can be possible but we have our chances too.

croadyman

is Ramos out of contract? With Varane only having a year left and who has the potential to command a decent fee - I can see it happening.
Quite honestly I would take Ramos if only one of them leaves but don't think Utd are interested at all, obviously prefer Raphael as have been a huge fan for years but we shouldn't be so dismissive of the impact an older head has had on the Chelsea backline

Redfrog

I can see why people think he might go to Chelsea. Hazard chose Chelsea purely because they won the CL after all, they finished fifth that year and one of the top talents in the world went to them purely because they won the CL.

However, we've been after Varane for a decade and that might make him feel more wanted here.

But the smart money is he renews at Real. Until he actually signs for another club, that's what I think will happen.
Nah, he came there because Fergie did not want to pay his agent.

Teja

I feel like the only reason they're still in it is so they can extract some money from all the clubs that ended up dropping out.

Given RM / Barca have a lot of connections at UEFA, they'll probably just ask them to delay the verdict until next season officially starts. RM can then claim ESL didn't work because the other clubs dropped out and so they're entitled to some compensation.

Jaxa

This transfer has Ruthless Chelsea written all over it,

They are in need of a new CB, there stock is also extremely high right now and have a young and exciting team with a great coach at the helm,

Must be nice

Redfrog

I prefer Varane then some youngster with potential who can turn to sh*t.
He is experienced, have won it all and probably want a new challenge, and still young enough.
Cavani, Maguire, Bruno…players with experience and at the right age (not Cavani obviously) have worked well for us recently. I am all for it. If we want to win we need more experience. Every great team has exeperienced players around.

Zlatattack

A defender in his prime years, experience at the top level, a good record, available at a reasonable price, would complement our current first choice CB nicely - seems too good to be a Manchester United transfer.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I prefer Varane then some youngster with potential who can turn to sh*t.
He is experienced, have won it all and probably want a new challenge, and still young enough.
Cavani, Maguire, Bruno…players with experience and at the right age (not Cavani obviously) have worked well for us recently. I am all for it. If we want to win we need more experience. Every great team has exeperienced players around.
Being an experienced winner counts the same for Giroud and Lloris, it doesn't make them the best in the game.

Worth noting that a limitation in Varane is apparently related to his passiveness in the game. That's quite a concern and I'd rather get someone who is on the cusp of being a very good defender for many years than one who looks like he might have peaked.

Kounde isn't just some defender who is completely unproven, he is highly rated in La Liga and has strong interest from multiple clubs for good reason.

Idxomer

35-40m isn't cheap, that's his worth. People are used to us overpaying for every transfer.

Redfrog

Being an experienced winner counts the same for Giroud and Lloris, it doesn't make them the best in the game.

Worth noting that a limitation in Varane is apparently related to his passiveness in the game. That's quite a concern and I'd rather get someone who is on the cusp of being a very good defender for many years than one who looks like he might have peaked.

Kounde isn't just some defender who is completely unproven, he is highly rated in La Liga and has strong interest from multiple clubs for good reason.
Thiago Silva looked done at PSG. Sometimes, players need a new challenge.
I am French and I always liked Varane, he is a very good player. I am sure he will be good.
Being on the cusp means nothing, it can go either way. I am always excited when we buy young players but I am not sure it is what we need right now in central defense.

RkkMan

This transfer has Ruthless Chelsea written all over it,

They are in need of a new CB, there stock is also extremely high right now and have a young and exciting team with a great coach at the helm,

Must be nice
These are their targets. Also need to mention that Judge(yes Matt Judge) and Varane's agent Trimboli are apparently close

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
These are their targets. Also need to mention that Judge(yes Matt Judge) and Varane's agent Trimboli are apparently
Are apparently what? C'mon RkkMan, don't leave us hanging!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Thiago Silva looked done at PSG. Sometimes, players need a new challenge.
I am French and I always liked Varane, he is a very good player. I am sure he will be good.
Being on the cusp means nothing, it can go either way. I am always excited when we buy young players but I am not sure it is what we need right now in central defense.
This is an odd parallel to me, because Thiago Silva was still a very good defender with PSG just had a injury issues which has evidently carried over to Chelsea.

I think Kounde is more of a sure thing than Varane, because being passive for over a season after coming back from a long term injury is a far more uncertain and worrying prospect, when compared to a consistently good talent in La Liga.

Not sure what the French bit has to do with things - they're both French?

Redfrog

This is an odd parallel to me, because Thiago Silva was still a very good defender with PSG just had a injury issues which has evidently carried over to Chelsea.

I think Kounde is more of a sure thing than Varane, because being passive for over a season after coming back from a long term injury is a far more uncertain and worrying prospect, when compared to a consistently good talent in La Liga.

Not sure what the French bit has to do with things - they're both French?
About the French thing, I was just speaking about the fact I saw Varane play for a long time and I like him.
Doesn’t know about Koundé, never seen him so I don’t have an opinion but from what I heard, I would prefer him to Pau Torres, who is Lindelof 2 it seems.

Thiago Silva looked on his last leg and had some very bad games with bad mistakes for PSG so I don’t think it is a bad comparison…but you can think otherwise I get your concerns about Varane.

Now, if we buy Koundé, good, I’ll have a lot of hopes ! We need a center back. Varane or Koundé will be fine for me.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If it were up to me he'll be my #1 target and I'll be willing to pay up to 50m for him. No brainer signing that improves us instantly and won't cost arms and legs. A proven winner too.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
About the French thing, I was just speaking about the fact I saw Varane play for a long time and I like him.
Doesn’t know about Koundé, never seen him so I don’t have an opinion but from what I heard, I would prefer him to Pau Torres, who is Lindelof 2 it seems.

Thiago Silva looked on his last leg and had some very bad games with bad mistakes for PSG so I don’t think it is a bad comparison…but you can think otherwise I get your concerns about Varane.

Now, if we buy Koundé, good, I’ll have a lot of hopes ! We need a center back. Varane or Koundé will be fine for me.
Yeah fair enough! On my side I don't think Varane is a bad transfer especially for the quoted price. But hearing about his passiveness being a weakness to his game, whilst trying to upgrade on Lindelof, doesn't bode well for me!

croadyman

Yeah fair enough! On my side I don't think Varane is a bad transfer especially for the quoted price. But hearing about his passiveness being a weakness to his game, whilst trying to upgrade on Lindelof, doesn't bode well for me!
I am a massive fan of him so very biased but I think that is a very valid concern about his game, need to get this deal done (if wants to leave) before PSG get the chance to appoint Zidane. I am more worried about the threat of them than that of the new European champions (feels so weird saying that after the Lampard era)

Last edited:

Chairman Steve

I foresee either Chelsea buying him out of fecking nowhere with minimal fuss or he gets a new contract with Ancelotti back in charge.

RUCK4444

If it were up to me he'll be my #1 target and I'll be willing to pay up to 50m for him. No brainer signing that improves us instantly and won't cost arms and legs. A proven winner too.
Tend to agree with you. We need somebody ready to slot straight into the role next to Maguire, somebody who ticks all the boxes and is the right age to hit the ground running.

It's rare a player of his quality becomes available at this sort of price. I'm aware his form has been patchy but a new challenge could be good for him.

macheda14

I feel like the only reason they're still in it is so they can extract some money from all the clubs that ended up dropping out.

Given RM / Barca have a lot of connections at UEFA, they'll probably just ask them to delay the verdict until next season officially starts. RM can then claim ESL didn't work because the other clubs dropped out and so they're entitled to some compensation.
The lawyers of United, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Atletico, Inter, AC vs RM, Barca and Juve. Wonder who will win.

Teja

The lawyers of United, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Atletico, Inter, AC vs RM, Barca and Juve. Wonder who will win.
Cue champions league theme.

But seriously I wonder how much the legal costs + possibility of a large payment to RM / Barca / Juve will hang over the club's transfer dealings. I hope the Glazers pay out of their pockets (both lawyer fees + fines) but it seems unlikely.

bosskeano

Saw mention this morning that Real are resigned to losing Varane for around 40m euros. He's in the last year of his contract plus Varane and Ancelotti don't have the best working relationship from the previous time he was in charge of Madrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.