Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Saw mention this morning that Real are resigned to losing Varane for around 40m euros. He's in the last year of his contract plus Varane and Ancelotti don't have the best working relationship from the previous time he was in charge of Madrid.
Get 'er done, Ed. Your last chance to sign one of your favourite targets.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I prefer Varane then some youngster with potential who can turn to sh*t.
He is experienced, have won it all and probably want a new challenge, and still young enough.
Cavani, Maguire, Bruno…players with experience and at the right age (not Cavani obviously) have worked well for us recently. I am all for it. If we want to win we need more experience. Every great team has exeperienced players around.
That probably new challenge is what you are wrong since Varane wants to leave because Real Madrid couldn't give him an improved contract.

Kounde has 2 years of La Liga experiences in top level club and UCL experience and also EL winner, he's really not youngster and unproven. So if we are making Maguire and Bruno's comparison then I must say Kounde is more identical to Maguire & Bruno signing. Moving to bigger club for new challenge with desire to win major trophy. Although, my problem with Varane is not his ambition, just his style of defending, not sure if he suits playing next to Maguire.

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Shouldn’t you be busy planning our demise to league 2 and the devaluing of the club to force the Glazers out? Why the feck are you in the transfer forum craving world class players for - It’s the last thing you want surely?

The number of MikeLUHG Ole bashing shitehawks that are allowed to infect their inane fecking drivel onto every thread on this place is getting insanely tedious.
Don't try to talk down to me because your intellectual ability extends to calling others names.

This is a discussion thread for the transfer and I gave my honest opinion. If you want to talk to other devotees of your cult (since other opinions are not allowed), go make a thread explicitly about it.

Sick of people like you who cannot make a cohesive point to save their life telling me what to think and how to act.

Scholsey2004

I have my doubt whether Varane will be the right choice, I just don't really rate his style. I prefer Kounde personally and also much younger with top class potential. I rate Kimpembe better than Varane and also Marquinhos over Varane, I don't see Varane as world class CB honestly. But Varane is indeed still a big upgrade of Lindelof and the guy is proven not bottler with good concentration skill to defend as he proved himself won a World Cup playing next to Umtiti who is not really a leader and world class like Ramos.
Yeah, it does look like a big name signing rather than an analytical target of what we could use (ie a ball-playing left footed centre half). That doesnt mean he'll automatically be a bad signing but our record with these kind of signings isnt great.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He is my preference, and it's almost starting to look like he could actually not be angling for a new deal (though I'm still forcing myself to believe that overall).

Aside from his experience, I think he's the best player we've been linked with. I'd rather not us sign a very young centre back unless we're signing two, because I a player in who immediately dislodges Lindelof and changes us tactically.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
How did he play tonight
Outside of one shaky close out in the first 15 minutes, he was fine and didn't have too much to deal with from what I saw.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Outside of one shaky close out in the first 15 minutes, he was fine and didn't have too much to deal with from what I saw.
And he's playing next to Kimpembe, so I guess this tournament will show people whether he needs a gladiator leader holding his hand to play well. Which he's already shown (played alongside Umtiti in the World Cup).

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
And he's playing next to Kimpembe, so I guess this tournament will show people whether he needs a gladiator leader holding his hand to play well. Which he's already shown (played alongside Umtiti in the World Cup).
Yeah, I read that narrative but I don't know how much stock I really put into it. I think Varane has a pretty decent base level regardless of who he's partnered with. Kimpembe himself is no slouch and while still raw at times in some of his decision-making, I think he's a really solid partner for Varane. We will see how they manage, but I think there's enough example of Varane managing to be a leader defensively without needing his hand held, I find that a bit disrespectful for a player of his pedigree.

Kostov

Oh come on, this is Varane, a multiple CL winning CB and a World Cup winner, give the guy some credit. Despite playing alongside Ramos, Varane is a ridiculously talented CB on his own.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah, I read that narrative but I don't know how much stock I really put into it. I think Varane has a pretty decent base level regardless of who he's partnered with. Kimpembe himself is no slouch and while still raw at times in some of his decision-making, I think he's a really solid partner for Varane. We will see how they manage, but I think there's enough example of Varane managing to be a leader defensively without needing his hand held, I find that a bit disrespectful for a player of his pedigree.
Oh come on, this is Varane, a multiple CL winning CB and a World Cup winner, give the guy some credit. Despite playing alongside Ramos, Varane is a ridiculously talented CB on his own.
Oh I'm not claiming he needs Ramos, I'm characterising what doubters say on here, scoffing at buying him because he might be costly.

MadMike

I put Varane into google and it seems people are asking the real deep questions about him...

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Well, that's his chant sorted. Michael Jackson - Black or White:
If you're thinking about Varane
It don't matter if he's black or white
Our ebony, ivory central defenders.

We all know that people are the same where ever you go
There is good and bad in ev'ryone

We learn to live, when we learn to give

Each other what we need to survive, together alive

Ebony and ivory working together in perfect harmony
Side by side in my central defence, oh Lord, why don't we?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is he faster than Harry though?

That's a fine demonstration of defending space in a high line. The question is, does he still have this type of recovery pace? Because if he does, then he's the correct profile of player to dominate defensive wide spaces without the aid of the midfield and fullback, and would allow us to sacrifice defensive stability for goals, especially against the so called lesser teams.

Last edited:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Is Varane our number 1 target for CB then? Are they reliable sources that are linking us with him?

MattofManchester

Oh I'm not claiming he needs Ramos, I'm characterising what doubters say on here, scoffing at buying him because he might be costly.
Or perhaps the doubters have been concerned with his steady decline over the last two seasons or so.

ti vu

That's a fine demonstration of defending space in a high line. The question is, does he still have this type of recovery pace? Because if he does, then he's the correct profile of player to dominate defensive wide spaces without the aid of the midfield and fullback, and would allow us to sacrifice defensive stability for goals, especially against the so called lesser teams.
Yes. Pace he still possess. It's no argument he has everything you can ask for a CB to allow tactical flexibility. The question is maximize his potential, which he seems like not realizing to the fullest.

Redfrog

That probably new challenge is what you are wrong since Varane wants to leave because Real Madrid couldn't give him an improved contract.

Kounde has 2 years of La Liga experiences in top level club and UCL experience and also EL winner, he's really not youngster and unproven. So if we are making Maguire and Bruno's comparison then I must say Kounde is more identical to Maguire & Bruno signing. Moving to bigger club for new challenge with desire to win major trophy. Although, my problem with Varane is not his ambition, just his style of defending, not sure if he suits playing next to Maguire.
About his contract, I don’t know as I just heard he did not want to sign one, nothing about the money. Maybe it is maybe it is not, maybe you are more informed then me.
I can see him wanting something else as this Madrid team is on its last leg.

As I said to someone else, I am not opposed to Koundé, he looks good from what I heard here. I just don’t want someone like Pau Torres.

But I think too that Varane won’t be a bad choice as he is good in the air, fast and won everything at club and national level. I like youngsters and all but we need experience as well and Varane has that plus he is just 28.

dinostar77

Is Varane our number 1 target for CB then? Are they reliable sources that are linking us with him?
When a player of Varane's quality comes on the market you gonna talk to his representatives to see what his plans are. I dont think madrid will allow him to run his contract down to a free so may reluctantly have to sell. However i think as usual for a Real player his camp are canvassing other offers before going back to madrid with what they can get elsewhere. Wouldn't suprise me if he renewed. Though if he left for the PL we have to get him over Chelsea.

Woodward offered €100mil for him a few years ago over breakfast to Perez when both Utd and Madrid were doin pre-season tour in USA. Wonder if woodward would like to get the deal done this time round before he leaves?

Noc-Z

ffs
This just feels like the usual script when a Real Madrid player is simply looking for a better deal from the club and has no intention of going anywhere. My prediction is he will be at Madrid next year. If he does leave, which I really doubt, PSG seems a more realistic destination doesn't it? I think there's barely an even slim chance he will come here.

SATA

I’m convinced we’ll get him. There will be a compromise there somewhere. Madrid won’t want him to go on a free next year and get nothing

Kostov

Doubters would make you believe we are talking about Sylvain Distin, not Varane. Varane is a quality CB, and as much as he benefited from Ramos's leadership and charisma, I rate him as the better defender all things considered. For the sums quoted of 40m i think he would be good for us.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
If we got him for 40 then that’s some good business there.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Whitwell is reporting that Madrid want significantly more than the reported £35m. The usual suspects among the Madrid camp have maintained that Madrid will demand €70m.

Drizzle

I’m convinced we’ll get him. There will be a compromise there somewhere. Madrid won’t want him to go on a free next year and get nothing
But you're not factoring in the possibility of other clubs buying him.

I honestly can see him leaving Real but going elsewhere.

Eddy_JukeZ

Whitwell is reporting that Madrid want significantly more than the reported £35m. The usual suspects among the Madrid camp have maintained that Madrid will demand €70m.
They've lost their minds if they're demanding 70m with a year left on his contract.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
They've lost their minds if they're demanding 70m with a year left on his contract.
It's a pretty normal and sensible stance for them to take when it comes to negotiations. They'll end up selling him for around £50m with several clubs interested.

Chief123

Brilliant player still.

Not a chance we are getting him. Close thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.