Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
In fairness - I think Ben White is going to be a really good defender. He is quick, athletic, good tackler and has a superb long-ball. He could easily be one of Arsenals best deals in the last 5-6 seasons
That's not saying much considering their transfer record during that duration

romufc

I don't buy it. We signed 2 kids on the cheap. That could've happened anyway.

But yes, from a future transfer perspective maybe it is good that clubs don't have us over a barrel. But the fact that we miss the deadline for Sancho and failed to negotiate the price down shows more ineptitude last year. He could've been the difference last season.

Anyway let's stop taking the thread off Varane. Hopefully the perfect partner for Maguire...
Dortmund were not going to negotiate, just like this year they are not negotiating the price for Haaland, its £150m or nothing. I don't see how hard that is to understand?

Instead a year later, we have signed Varane and Sancho for the same money they wanted for him last year.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I feel dirty for saying this it might be elsewhere but not seen it.

Anyone giving the Glazers a bit of goodwill for this and Sancho and whatever else comes this Summer?

Maybe it is shut everyone up for a bit or are they getting the understanding that more success = more profit?

Eeeerguuh.
They will be balancing the books with sales of Pogba and others yet. The summer spend will be nothing out of the ordinary for us.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
UnReal this actually!

Fecking Varane. In his prime.

Our back 4 is now looking as good as ever.
VDS, Rio-Vida-Evra-whoever is our no1 defence ever.
Big Pete-Stam, Johnsen(Berg), Gary and Irwin is 2nd.

This is 3rd for sure.

Last edited:
They will be balancing the books with sales of Pogba and others yet. The summer spend will be nothing out of the ordinary for us.
No-one should have a problem with that in fairness. Getting in two top players in positions you desperately need and getting rid of some that either want out or aren’t good enough is exactly how a club should be run.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

Anyone giving the Glazers a bit of goodwill for this and Sancho and whatever else comes this Summer?

Maybe it is shut everyone up for a bit or are they getting the understanding that more success = more profit?

Eeeerguuh.
You are dirty, shame on you!

Seriously, I think Woodward was compounding the Glazers negative hold on the club. Bad ownership was made to look worse by bad stewardship. Signs are there that we've changed for the better regardless of owners.

dalriada

Remember these fees aren’t apparently upfront. It’s over the 5 years of their contracts for both Sancho and Varane. So we still have money to spend and we don’t need Pogba to leave to offset the finances.
True, and I think there's a realisation that they need to spend to compete with City. The mood music around Pogba's contract isn't good, would be great if we did keep him for the right reasons though.

McTerminator

VVD, Rio-Vida-Evra-whoever is our no1 defence ever.

This is 3rd for sure.
bruce and pallister say hello.

It’s just potential for now with this back line, but it is exciting!

Andersons Dietician

You are dirty, shame on you!

Seriously, I think Woodward was compounding the Glazers negative hold on the club. Bad ownership was made to look worse by bad stewardship. Signs are there that we've changed for the better regardless of owners.
I think it’s more that we find ourselves in a purple patch with clubs needing to sell and we are able to exploit that. I think normal service will resume soon enough.

Leftback99

No-one should have a problem with that in fairness. Getting in two top players in positions you desperately need and getting rid of some that either want out or aren’t good enough is exactly how a club should be run.
I agree. I just think people are getting a bit carried away that this is something special from the Glazers. Better to assess at the end of the window.

DickDastardly

VDS, Rio-Vida-Evra-whoever is our no1 defence ever.

This is 3rd for sure.
Wholeheartedly agree.

But this back 4 has potential to be even better.

Evra Vidić Rio is a hard team to beat, but Shaw Maguire Varane is equally good.

All it remains is for them to stay fit for an extended periods of time and to gel properly.

KingCavani

Wholeheartedly agree.

But this back 4 has potential to be even better.

Evra Vidić Rio is a hard team to beat, but Shaw Maguire Varane is equally good.

All it remains is for them to stay fit for an extended periods of time and to gel properly.
Stop.

These players have a long, long way to go before being compared to one of the best defensive groups in league history. Let’s see them play together first.

Hughes35

Real steal to get him from Madrid and it sounds like he wanted it (Unlike Di Maria).

We must have a defence as good as any in the league now.

Two big holes in the starting 11 have been filled. Lets really kick on and get another 2 good signings so the rebuild is finally complete.

One big question though - Is the improved transfer window down to Woodward being useless, or is it due to the fan unrest and the board trying to stop an uprising?

TsuWave

I don't know why people are trying with chants. He already has a perfectly great one. "Champions league Varane"

just repeat this over and over:

:drool::drool:

Raphael Varane seems like a player that has been around forever, which makes it hard to believe that the French centre back is only 28. He has been in and around the French national team and Real Madrid first team since 2012, performing admirably over that period

Because of Varane's success with Real Madrid in the Champions League, he has picked up the (somewhat uninspired) nickname "Champions League Varane" with the French national team. With that same team he has won the 2018 World Cup and made 73 appearances for.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Great signing. Hopefully relieves the need for mcfred/matij and free up other areas on the pitch for us so the manager can be a bit more tactically expressive. Good depth at the back now. Let one of the mcfred play a bit deeper and let bruno/vdb roam free and pogba/mejbri/mata may stay fully up top left. Sancho/James/diallo can take right side fully. Rashy/martial can cut in side from left. Cavani/greenwood can focus on scoring. Good times ahead.

R'hllor

Dunno why potential leaving of Pogba is counted as minus in here, majority of this place cant wait to see back of him, not to mention fans outside this forum, if he leaves, guess same muppets will use it how ever it fits their narative and moving goal posts.

Regarding Varane, thats very solid price for defender of his calibre, hope he stays healthy.

flappyjay

True, and I think there's a realisation that they need to spend to compete with City. The mood music around Pogba's contract isn't good, would be great if we did keep him for the right reasons though.
Also this summer the best for buying outside England. A lot of the European clubs have financial problems which makes negotiations much easier for us.

TsuWave

What an odd thing to wish for. Have a feeling you will be disappointed.
Saw in your earlier posts that you don’t really have a clue what kind of player Varane is. Vidic??! Have you watched him play? More than YouTube clips?
You have poor reading comprehension. I never said Varane is like Vidic. Read again as many times as you need:

Maguire is closer to Ferdinand than Vidic. Like Maguire and Vidic don’t have any similarities in playstyles or attributes. Varane is a mixture of both but he’s closer to Vidic than Maguire
and make sure you take your time, so you don't make erroneous statements again.

Also, the prospect of Lindelof never being seen again in our starting 11 has me prepping the biggest post-covid jamboree :drool:

DickDastardly

Stop.

These players have a long, long way to go before being compared to one of the best defensive groups in league history. Let’s see them play together first.
I'm sure you missed the word - potential.

Shaw and Maguire just had a wonderful tournament.
Varane is a CL multiple winner.

The potential for them to shine is there.

Leftback99

Not yet, we all know it’s coming though if we’re some way off come December ;)

Considering how outrageously negative I found you last year regarding our squad, where would you place us with Varane & Sancho but minus Pogba?
Closer but still behind City, Chelsea and Liverpool for me, and they haven't done any business yet. Not saying we can't challenge.

TheLoveless

Eeeerguuh.
They deserve a lot of credit for how the club is run financially.

They are americans and, as was proven with the ESL, have no understanding of what football is about in Europe. But it's much better to be run by that than by oil billionares.

Status
Not open for further replies.