Rashford and McTominay

Web of Bissaka

I’d be very surprised if Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe, Pereira, Chong and Gomes don’t all play a part in next season too so added to Rashford, McTominay and Lingard that’s a great endorsement to our academy and the coaching.
I think TFM and Pereira (RB and wings/attacker respectively) would be a lot more active with the first team then with at least 10 good minute appearances, while Chong and Gomes continue playing few odd bit-part games while mainly play with the youth/reserves. I can see Tuanzebe gettting a proper on loan full season in next season.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Very good first goal by the Rash.

McTominay had a decent game as well. I wouldn't overstate it at this stage but he deserves a lot of credit for stepping in as effectively as he has.

sincher

I think TFM and Pereira (RB and wings/attacker respectively) would be a lot more active with the first team then with at least 10 good minute appearances, while Chong and Gomes continue playing few odd bit-part games while mainly play with the youth/reserves. I can see Tuanzebe gettting a proper on loan full season in next season.
Yes very unlikely all 5 will play significant roles for us next season. But even if 2 do, that would be great.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yeah it's great to see the homegrown talents performing well, especially against our closest rivals.

I think Gomes will be the next academy graduate to breakthrough. He is a massive talent.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yeah.

Absolutely lovely to see 'em out there today.

Lukaku, for me, was man of the match overall - but those two followed closely.

And Rashford's first goal - forget about it. The header to bring it down, the confidence to turn like that - and the icy finish. Just lovely, and precisely what we needed.

Red Royal

along with Jesse that should convince young lads that Man Utd is and always has been the club to promote its own talent.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Can't wait for more and better talent coming through the academy. Gotta get back to building a team organically. Really stoked to see us play well at home.

Jaybomb

It’s great to see proper reds in the team again. Rashford, Lingard, McTominay... lets hope that extends with TFM, Tuanzebe and Gomes.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Great goals from Rashford. Happy for him to finally come good in what has been a rough period.

But Mctominay is the one who has exceeded all expectations. When Jose gave him an opportunity at the fag end of last season (?) I couldn't really understand what supposedly stood out about the kid. And I guess he's not one of those players in general who has a certain magical quality that is instantly noticeable. But his composure, decision making, focus, positional play etc. have been absolutely superb of late (Chelsea goal aside). I don't know how good he will end up or how far he will make it but he deserves all the credit for the way he has performed this season. Looks a great addition to the squad.

Lam

First goal was reminiscent of Ronaldo cutting in shooting. Mctominay is impressive in what he does. I understand why some people feel he's limited in terms of talent, but it's too early to judge. I think he'll end up a mix of Carrick and Matic - good passing range of Carrick + defensive qualities of Matic, but will probably take time like Lingard.

Deep lying central midfielders typically take time to peak (leaving the outliers aside) and we should be patient with him. He has a good head to become a very good footballer.

Reactions: Varun

Varun

Staff
Great goals from Rashford. Happy for him to finally come good in what has been a rough period.

But Mctominay is the one who has exceeded all expectations. When Jose gave him an opportunity at the fag end of last season (?) I couldn't really understand what supposedly stood out about the kid. And I guess he's not one of those players in general who has a certain magical quality that is instantly noticeable. But his composure, decision making, focus, positional play etc. have been absolutely superb of late (Chelsea goal aside). I don't know how good he will end up or how far he will make it but he deserves all the credit for the way he has performed this season. Looks a great addition to the squad.
Yeah, I said in his performance thread a while back that he seems to have the head of a 28yr old. Ridiculously mature in his game.

Red_Aaron

McTominay keeps things simple and tidy and because of this many fans are reluctant to give him too much credit, myself included up till now.

Yesterday however was a different kettle of fish, to keep calm and continually make the correct decision under the pressure of Liverpools pressing was exceptional. There were a number of occasions in the second half when he appeared to be surrounded and cornered but he managed to turn into space and find a pass, I was really impressed with him. Many far more experienced players resorted to hoofing it yesterday but he didn't.

Our third best player after rashers and young, great to see

yo@Kirk

Really excited that Rashford and McTominay have made good use of their first team opportunities. However, I'd give more credit for those opportunities to the first team players who suffered the injuries that allowed Rash and McT to receive those opportunities than to the managers who had little choice but to play them because of an injury crises.

TheReligion

Abusive
Great thread.

Out of all the top sides only United and Spurs are consistent at this.

We have a great crop at the moment and as already touched on with Fosu-Mensah coming back, along with Tuanzebe, we could have plenty of good options next season's all academy made.

High hopes for Gomes, Chong and possibly Lee O'Connor.

Eire Red United

Both superb from what I saw yesterday, also Lingard who has been brilliant this season. Rashfords turn for the first goal was unbelievable.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Both superb from what I saw yesterday, also Lingard who has been brilliant this season. Rashfords turn for the first goal was unbelievable.
Not to mention the shot at the end of it.

It would be interesting to know what the speed of the shot was. There's no keeper stopping that

ijc

I get to see why Mctominay is not as lauded as our other youngsters like Rashford and Gomes because he is not a flair player. But he's exactly what we wanted in midfield, good positioning and passing ability - think he will be like a hybrid of Matic and Carrick and he's quickly becoming one of my favourites in our team.

It was lovely to see 3 players from our academy all having a big part in the match vs Liverpool. We also need to add Pogba too he's also from our academy.

Maybe history (1992) is repeating itself with the next batch to come through added with Rashford, Jesse, Mctominay and Pogba. Next year I believe TFM will play a very good amount of games since it's his 3rd season under Mourinho - at that's what Jose had said when he arrived that he had a 3 year plan for TFM (bit part, full loan season, first team). Add to that Tuanzebe, Gomes and Chong and we might be in for another hugely talented batch.

Can't understand why the media "slates" Utd's academy when it's almost the only academy which produced first team players for a huge club like United. Must have been a proud day for Nicky Butt and the academy in general.

walkinhop

Shows that hard work trumps pure talent. Nothing new yet always surprising to see Mctominay type footballers.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Two United born and bred. Both have played all their football at United all life. Both in top 3 of our best players at Liverpool today.

Every Red should be proud of our academy.
Good thread.
The reason why they performed so well, is partly because they understand what it means to play for MUFC and also that for big games, they up their intensity.
Some of our mercenaries, treat games like Liverpool and MCFC, as if they were playing "just another match".

This is one of the reasons why, IMO, we should look to buy players from the EPL, rather than from abroad. The players who are already indoctrinated into the EPL, already understand the magnitude of playing certain teams.
SAF used to break British transfer records, not on foreign players, but on the best talent currently playing and doing well in the EPL. Andy Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Dwight Yorke, Wayne Rooney, etc. And I think it's no surprise that the last 2 attackers Jose has bought, have both been EPL veterans (Lukaku, Sanchez).

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Shows that hard work trumps pure talent. Nothing new yet always surprising to see Mctominay type footballers.
I'm actually not surprised that McT is doing well. Jose repeatedly says that this guy gets his head down and works hard.
He also said about Rashford that he stays behind after the others have gone home and train extra time (like C.Ronaldo did before him).
Jose absolutely loves players who work hard.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
McTominay had a decent game as well. I wouldn't overstate it at this stage but he deserves a lot of credit for stepping in as effectively as he has.
Effectively, since Pogba (the league's most expensive player) has gone AWOL (injury, poor form, etc), McT has replaced him and dare I say it, even if fit, Pogba may have to take a seat on the bench.
It'll be interesting to see if Pogba is available to play tonight and if so, does he start.

sincher

Effectively, since Pogba (the league's most expensive player) has gone AWOL (injury, poor form, etc), McT has replaced him and dare I say it, even if fit, Pogba may have to take a seat on the bench.
It'll be interesting to see if Pogba is available to play tonight and if so, does he start.
I would still be picking Pogba over McTominay, and comfortably. IMO Pogba didn't do badly in his last two outings.

ijc

This is one of the reasons why, IMO, we should look to buy players from the EPL, rather than from abroad. The players who are already indoctrinated into the EPL, already understand the magnitude of playing certain teams.
SAF used to break British transfer records, not on foreign players, but on the best talent currently playing and doing well in the EPL. Andy Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Dwight Yorke, Wayne Rooney, etc. And I think it's no surprise that the last 2 attackers Jose has bought, have both been EPL veterans (Lukaku, Sanchez).
That's what SAF was and Jose now is doing so well - weaken your direct opponents.

The Purley King

McTominay was outstanding. Very calm on the ball and a couple of times when we were under the cosh in the 2nd half, held it up in the midfield then bought a foul, or played a nice simple pass. Very very impressive.
Must admit I didn't understand why Jose bought him in as I struggled to see what he was really good at, but the Liverpool game showed that. He'll go on to become a regular I think, especially when Matic starts slowing up.

Cliche Guevara

Great thread.

Out of all the top sides only United and Spurs are consistent at this.

We have a great crop at the moment and as already touched on with Fosu-Mensah coming back, along with Tuanzebe, we could have plenty of good options next season's all academy made.

High hopes for Gomes, Chong and possibly Lee O'Connor.
Maybe it’s the popular narrative but I’ve no idea what Spurs have done to be compared in the same breath as United.

Nobody comes close to us in this regard, but you wouldn’t know it listening to the media.

Utd7

McTominay’s emergence and the pending return of Pierera leads me to believe we need to make just one class signing for a midfielder this summer.

Claudio Salinas Ruiz

Both are great, Lindgard is another player born in United, and when he had to show his football, he did well and scoring important goals.