Rashford considering his future...

SuperiorXI

No way should we be talking to any of the players about a contract extension... how can any extension be justified? The only two reasons would be either a protection of value (but then again who's buying *any* of these prima donnas on the wages they're on?) and/or a reduction in wage.

The power is with the club in this instance IMO.

CraftySoAndSo

I'm torn on this because on one hand he has been very poor for a while now and maybe a fresh start might do him good. But on the other hand if he can sort out whatever's going on there is a player who can be very useful to us. But surely the best thing to do is hold all contract talks until a new manager is appointed as the new manager might not fancy Rashford or Shaw. Either that or the candidates have been asked and they've given their approval, but if they haven't then what message does that send to the new manager that they've given new 4/5 year contracts to players they might not want.

Depending on Rashford's mindset giving him a new 4/5 year deal could either be a very good or very bad move. Good being giving him the deal could give him a boost showing the club believe in him and could motivate him to reward the faith shown in him and get his head straight. Bad being there's no motivation to improve knowing the club has no backbone to sell him regardless of how bad he plays. I hope he can sort it out but admittedly my patience is starting to wane and i think next season is make or break for me in weather or not he can recapture some of his form.

Preggy99

Mass clearout neded. Including Rashford, attitude seems all wrong. On the pitch (which is most important) his decision making is just shocking, he dribbles when he should pass, passes when he should dribble, movement off the ball is wrong. Loses the ball 99% of the time when he runs with it. He doesn't create anywhere near enough goals either, For someone who plays wide in the 3 behind he should be creating and making a lot more assists.

Jackal981

Well this is an British Club so maybe go support another club in another country if you cant stand the British core so much. PSG?

Absolute bell end and I hope you never become a proper member on this site.

I hate this hate people try to create by increasing a problem with the British players on our squad; acting like we never had success with them ever before.

Don't reply to me Jack'as*.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oops did I hurt your feeling my princess ?Maybe cause they are all shite innit (jury still out for Sancho) ? Would mind a british core at all if they consist of Kane, Trent, Foden, etc but we ended up with the whiniest ungrateful bunch. And you still havent refuted my point when you defended the british core to death and shit talking other underperformers in the club. Example: if its Rashford it is always injuries, mental health, etc etc why not the same with Pogba

Last edited:

mctrials23

I'm torn on this because on one hand he has been very poor for a while now and maybe a fresh start might do him good. But on the other hand if he can sort out whatever's going on there is a player who can be very useful to us. But surely the best thing to do is hold all contract talks until a new manager is appointed as the new manager might not fancy Rashford or Shaw. Either that or the candidates have been asked and they've given their approval, but if they haven't then what message does that send to the new manager that they've given new 4/5 year contracts to players they might not want.
Rashford has never come close to justifying his current wages and hes not going to agree to take a pay cut is he? Quite what the logic was in giving him obscene wages based on future trajectory was I would love to know. No other club seems to do this. You get a salary that reflects your current level and perhaps a tiny bit for your immediate potential. If you kick on and improve massively then the club will probably want to increase your wages and get you to sign a new contract asap anyway even if your last one was only a year or two earlier.

Depending on Rashford's mindset giving him a new 4/5 year deal could either be a very good or very bad move. Good being giving him the deal could give him a boost showing the club believe in him and could motivate him to reward the faith shown in him and get his head straight. Bad being there's no motivation to improve knowing the club has no backbone to sell him regardless of how bad he plays. I hope he can sort it out but admittedly my patience is starting to wane and i think next season is make or break for me in weather or not he can recapture some of his form.
Its an awful move. Simply from a perspective that its completely unnecessary. The club has fawned over him and bent over backwards for him for years. He has been picked repeatedly when he hasn't deserved it and hes on a salary befitting a player of twice his ability and application.

Nothing about Rashfords current situation screams "money will solve this". He should be given a chance with the new manager unless we get a really good offer for him in the summer (even then it should be down to the manager) and then if he sorts himself out we can talk about a new contract.

What will happen is that we give him a new contract at probably £250k/week for 5 years and we spend the next 5 years talking about how no one will buy him from us and hes a negative influence on the dressing room. Good times.

Frank White

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oops did I hurt your feeling my princess ?Maybe cause they are all shite innit (jury still out for Sancho) ? Would mind a british core at all if they consist of Kane, Trent, Foden, etc but we ended up with the whiniest ungrateful bunch. And you still havent refuted my point when you defended the british core to death and shit talking other underperformers in the club. Example: if its Rashford it is always injuries, mental health, etc etc why not the same with Pogba
I guess you see what you want to see because, especially for Pogba there is always 100 reasons for his failings. You've probably picked the worst player to try and make your point.

As for the rest it's not like are non British players are doing well is it? Think it's more of a United problem then where you're born tbh.

Dan_F

One could hazard a guess and argue that his debut came at a time when everybody in and around the club was desperately looking for a new hero. We had already gone through the Moyes debacle and it was starting to look that LvG would not be able to elevate the team to its previous heights. Rashford came on on that February Thursday night and he was a breath of fresh air, something to lift the hopes of a disheartened fanbase.

And, of course, Woodward and co. would not let the opportunity pass them by. After all, United are famous for their faith in their academy products. We were failing on the pitch and the high echelons at the club could not figure out why. But they could sell to the fans and to the rest of the world the face of a new era. Here's Marcus and he will lead us forward to new glories.

It doesn't help when the footballing people can't be heard or are non-existent in the club. Outside the United bubble, very few people could see MMM as a potent atracking trident that could spearhead the title hopes of any side in the toughest league in the world for a decade. Too many things lacking, talent wise. But here we were, being jolly and comparing Rashford to Mbappe and thinking Martial is some dribbling God.

The worst thing is the club believed the hype it had helped create. Now, we still don't know what's wrong, the fans have had enough of the owners and the players and some of the players believe that it's not their fault it's come to this. Overinflation due to lack of good judgement. And trust me they will keep feeding the bubble (new contracts) for as long as they can, because they know they can't deal with bursting it.
I think you’re rewriting history a bit there. That front three scored more than the Liverpool front three, under what most now accept was a tactically poor manager. Challenging for titles for a decade with the same front three is literally unheard of, so yes, not many people could see that :lol: :lol:

Chairman Steve

Contract negotiations doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll hand him 4 more years with higher wages off the bat anyway. They could just activate his optional one year and say ‘Shape up for a pay rise or get shipped out’

clarkydaz

Even if the angle is he could move away soon, the club will put him on a better contract to command a better fee. What could go wrong? At United you are here for life now

Frank White

Rashford has never come close to justifying his current wages and hes not going to agree to take a pay cut is he? Quite what the logic was in giving him obscene wages based on future trajectory was I would love to know. No other club seems to do this. You get a salary that reflects your current level and perhaps a tiny bit for your immediate potential. If you kick on and improve massively then the club will probably want to increase your wages and get you to sign a new contract asap anyway even if your last one was only a year or two earlier.
Who has at United? We're reportedly giving Sancho 350k a week, that's Salah and Mane salary rolled into one! You play for United, you get obscene wages the sooner people realise this the better and I don't think it's changing anytime soon. As sad as it is to say outside of this season Rashford has been arguably been one of are top performers for the last 2-3 seasons has he not?

Kaos

Who's deciding to renew these players? Woodward has fecked off, I can't imagine Rangnick has been begging to the board to do so considering he's rightly been less than impressed with players like him and Shaw. Are Murtough/Fletcher/Arnold deciding this? Or is Joel Glazer just deciding to renew every contract coming to an end?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Well this is an British Club so maybe go support another club in another country if you cant stand the British core so much. PSG?

Absolute bell end and I hope you never become a proper member on this site.

I hate this hate people try to create by increasing a problem with the British players on our squad; acting like we never had success with them ever before.

Don't reply to me Jack'as*.
I think you're being a tad harsh here. I'm British and I used to love when the majority of the squads we put out had a British core. I remember slating Arsenal for at times not putting out a single British player but that funnily enough came at a time when they were at their peak.

Would I love a British core? Of course I would but not to the extent of us falling further behind the pack. Supporting British players is a reasonable reaction but the question you should be asking yourself is can we do a lot better than Rashford (present form), Maquire, Shaw, AWB or McT. If your answer is yes then you're supporting them for the wrong reasons. Being British shouldn't give these players a free pass. Hopefully we can get back to having that core WHEN they're good enough but at this present moment in time I don't think they are.

It's a conundrum. British core fighting for top 6 or non British core fighting for titles? What would you prefer because right now we're not fighting for titles with the British core we have. We sign Rice (I know) and Kane then I'd be 100% behind it even if we have to pay through the nose because they are make a difference players but signing others just for the sake of signing British isn't the way to go if they're not good enough.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I think you’re rewriting history a bit there. That front three scored more than the Liverpool front three, under what most now accept was a tactically poor manager. Challenging for titles for a decade with the same front three is literally unheard of, so yes, not many people could see that :lol: :lol:
Laugh as much as you want. In the post-Ferguson, we have been constantly struggling with consistency in the attack. One might think that our choices up front may have been a bit guilty for that. Presenting one season is an outlier because, in the long run, their forwards have produced much more. And that what talent is all about: Mainting a high level of performance.

I stand by what i said: Very few people outside United (or England) think Rashford has world-class potential. Not strong enough to hassle CBs, not able to beat his marker when there's no space to run in-behind, poor decision making in tight areas, can't head the ball or play with his back to goal, and lately even his close control has gone missing.

Can he play a role in a well-functioning United unit? The answer is yes. But offering him a king's ransom on wages and try to build an attack around a hit n' run player? Only at United, where the fans need to believe in a good story and the board is always ready to sell them one.

Last edited:

Mwooyo

Giving Rashford a new deal is bad and is a continuation of the massive mistakes the manutd board keep making. They did the same thing when deciding to extend contracts for mata, phil jones and even smalling based on some crazy hope that they suddenly come good.

We can not waste more time keeping useless players. Rashford peaked, his time to shine is done. Same thing with lingard and matic. We need to be ruthless, we cant compete for the title next season, so lets clear all this deadwood, sign 4 players and promote kids from the Academy. We will then be ready to seriously compete long term, the season after next season.

Jackal981

I think you're being a tad harsh here. I'm British and I used to love when the majority of the squads we put out had a British core. I remember slating Arsenal for at times not putting out a single British player but that funnily enough came at a time when they were at their peak.

Would I love a British core? Of course I would but not to the extent of us falling further behind the pack. Supporting British players is a reasonable reaction but the question you should be asking yourself is can we do a lot better than Rashford (present form), Maquire, Shaw, AWB or McT. If your answer is yes then you're supporting them for the wrong reasons. Being British shouldn't give these players a free pass. Hopefully we can get back to having that core WHEN they're good enough but at this present moment in time I don't think they are.

It's a conundrum. British core fighting for top 6 or non British core fighting for titles? What would you prefer because right now we're not fighting for titles with the British core we have. We sign Rice (I know) and Kane then I'd be 100% behind it even if we have to pay through the nose because they are make a difference players but signing others just for the sake of signing British isn't the way to go if they're not good enough.
100%. He simply cant understand that our british core suck dog bollox so far. I would not mind if we had Kane, Rice, Foden, Trent, Walker etc as our core as long as they perform well on the pitch. Anyhow british players always come with additional tax too so if they suck and stink the club we are in deep trouble offloading them. And United has a hard time parting with massive flop so far.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I reckon he can be a great Blues Clues guy. Guaranteed to be a worldwide hit. With uncle Lingard sometimes coming into the show where he lose his trendy sunglasses and they find the clues for it together.

R'hllor

They giving away contracts like we gonna trade players on similar wages.

led_scholes

Renewing Rashford means throwing at least 100 millions to the bin. This will be 2 times worse than the Rooneys extension in 2013.

Frank White

70 million that's already been paid for, in the form of Sancho, Elanga and Garnacho.
72m was the Sancho fee + the 350k a week on a 5 year, potentially 6 you're talking upwards of 100m on wages too. There's no way we let Rashford go and go into the new season with a front line of Sancho, Ronaldo (maybe) and Elanga, unless we're content with another year of fighting for top 6.

Giggsy13

I can’t believe some of the shit being tossed Rashford’s way. It would be an absolute disgrace if we sold him to a rival like arsenal. You can’t ever make supporters happy. If we let him run down his contract, the club is incompetent for allowing that to happen. If we move to negotiate an extension for a player who has shown in the past could be very good and score us about 15 goals per season, we’re incompetent. If Ten Hag is truly the front runner, then let him coach Rashford out of this mess. Ten Hag has a proven track history of improving players who were deemed surplus or castaways by other clubs.

Kaos

72m was the Sancho fee + the 350k a week on a 5 year, potentially 6 you're talking upwards of 100m on wages too. There's no way we let Rashford go and go into the new season with a front line of Sancho, Ronaldo (maybe) and Elanga, unless we're content with another year of fighting for top 6.
I mean based on his current form, that's going to be our frontline next season irrespective of whether Rashford stays or goes. If he stays and continues to put on those stinker of performances, then he'll be continuing to warm the bench, albeit with a fatter paycheck.

The best solution here is to cash in on him while his stock is still relatively high, and invest that in bolstering our attacking options. It makes no sense giving him a contract that makes him a better paid player than the likes of Salah and Kane (which he pretty much already is) while he does nothing but hamper us when on the pitch.

luke511

Slightly pedantic but okay, you get the point.. We would have Sancho, Elanga, Pellistri, Amad and Garnacho as options for the wing. Rashford sale could help fund a much needed CF, or even two if Ronaldo leaves. Rashford on current form combined with his awful work rate and constant PR drama isn't worth the hassle.

Frank White

Slightly pedantic but okay, you get the point.. We would have Sancho, Elanga, Pellistri, Amad and Garnacho as options for the wing. Rashford sale could help fund a much needed CF, or even two if Ronaldo leaves. Rashford on current form combined with his awful work rate and constant PR drama isn't worth the hassle.
How much do you reckon Rashford would go for? As for the rest I'm sorry but it's more than likely 3 of the players you listed there won't see much game time never mind being 1st team players.

RedDevil@84

I can’t believe some of the shit being tossed Rashford’s way. It would be an absolute disgrace if we sold him to a rival like arsenal. You can’t ever make supporters happy. If we let him run down his contract, the club is incompetent for allowing that to happen. If we move to negotiate an extension for a player who has shown in the past could be very good and score us about 15 goals per season, we’re incompetent. If Ten Hag is truly the front runner, then let him coach Rashford out of this mess. Ten Hag has a proven track history of improving players who were deemed surplus or castaways by other clubs.
Rashford is a Manchester lad. We are and will be his first choice.
No one is going to pay Rashford more wages than what we are giving him now or in the new contract.

Rashford is on a 4+1 year contract. Trigger his extension and he has > 2 years left on his contract.

There is absolutely no reason to open a contract extension talk and give him a higher salary. We can get Ten Hag, see what happens and revisit Rashford extension one year from now. There is almost zero chance that he will say no.

luke511

How much do you reckon Rashford would go for? As for the rest I'm sorry but it's more than likely 3 of the players you listed there won't see much game time never mind being 1st team players.
50/60 mil, that'll get us the much needed CF I'd like to think. Those 3 players have great potential, I'd rather us play Amad or Pellistri on the right wing (along with Sancho or Elanga) over Rashford, and having Sancho, Elanga and Garnacho as options on the left wing is more than adequate for next season.

Kaos

Rashford is a Manchester lad. We are and will be his first choice.
No one is going to pay Rashford more wages than what we are giving him now or in the new contract.

Rashford is on a 4+1 year contract. Trigger his extension and he has > 2 years left on his contract.

There is absolutely no reason to open a contract extension talk and give him a higher salary. We can get Ten Hag, see what happens and revisit Rashford extension one year from now. There is almost zero chance that he will say no.
This is the key thing here. If anything it might give him the kick up the arse, knowing he has to prove himself to warrant a new deal, or to impress his potential suitors. Give him a new bumper deal after a dreadful 18 months and you've basically disincentivised him from even bothering.

PieCrust

Re-signing Rashford already kills any excitement for next season. It means nothing has nor will change. Reward poor performance for an already astronomically over-priced player by upping his wages even more.

Any new manager has zero chance to motivate this club with a squad of players that know they can just continue to down tools if they don't like being asked to work hard and wait the manger out until he's scapegoated and fired. With a good chance of also getting a new contract.

RuudTom83

Rashford seems to think his standing in the team/world football is a lot higher than his actually current ability. Not bashing him but he needs to bin the off field stuff and focus on his day job.

Ghostrider318

United fans are so far from reality. Never in a million years would we sell rashford this summer. Not only would he not find a lot of suitors, we would not be in a position to command any sort of 'decent' fee. A renewal was always going to happen.

I only hope that we dont throw crazy wages at him ( hes already on a lot ). Add performance bonuses into the contract which ups his pay but keep the base low for gods sake.