Rashford must be dropped!

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I don't think he's fully fit, needs a rest badly and it doesn't help that Ole is running him into the ground because he is the managers favourite. Hopefully Martial is back soon and he can get some time on the bench.
This.

With Martial injured, Greenwood's the only alternative out there. It won't hurt to give him more minutes on the pitch.

Sylar

I really think Mason should have started over him. Its a similar situation to when Rashford broke through. If Rooney was half fit, he would have started that Arsenal game we won 3-2 and rashford wouldnt have scored two under LVG.
Same thing today, but Rashford looked half fit so was put on. If he wasnt cleared, we would have had Mason. I think Mason scores that first half chance Rashford has cos Rashford has no left foot.

mu4c_20le

Could Van Persie be coaxed out of retirement for one more season like Scholes? I'd take him back at this point if not just for rotation. Or Zlatan.

Alemar

As much as I like Greenwood, he's 17. We shouldn't be relying on him at this stage so, unfortunately, we're having to play Marcus through injury and poor form.
Why does his age matter? If he plays better football (and Mason does), he should be picked even at 16 (Barcelona plays a 16 year old player this season, and no one complains).

If Greenwood starts several games (EPL games I mean) as a CF and we all see that he performs badly - then rotate. Maybe Rashford finds his form by that time. But currently Rashford doesn’t deserve to play.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Why does his age matter? If he plays better football (and Mason does), he should be picked even at 16 (Barcelona plays a 16 year old player this season, and no one complains).

If Greenwood starts several games (EPL games I mean) as a CF and we all see that he performs badly - then rotate. Maybe Rashford finds his form by that time. But currently Rashford doesn’t deserve to play.
Don't get me wrong; I'd love to see Greenwood get a run as CF and smash it like Fati for Barca (or even like Rashford's debut season at the end of van Gaal's 2nd season), but in this team where we're devoid of quality and lack any sort of coaching, I'd rather not pin our hopes on a kid however good he may become.

I just think it's better for to play him alongside one of our only two somewhat experienced attackers in Rashford so that he has more leeway to play and make mistakes as if he's starting in place of Rashford, there'll be so much more expectancy on him to produce due to playing alongside lesser talents (some in the sense of quality, some lacking experience, too) which may negatively impact his performance.

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic here? Either way, I'd love to see him flourish during a run of games at CF - I just wish we had planned better so it wouldn't be as necessary.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If there's no one better then he shouldn't be dropped. I can't take you seriously if your answer is Rojo.

Obviously he needs to sit once Martial comes along. I don't think Greenwood is a better option, and there is no point throwing that guy into the firing line as our only hope. Especially when we are useless at chance creation.

And if he's injured... Take the hit and allow him to heal. If we finish 10th because both our strikers are out then fair enough.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He is just not a striker. Can't help it when Martial wants to be the next Phil Jones.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
You know times are bad when I find myself agreeing with BringNaniBack. God I feel dirty.

Mr. Ant

In my opinion and it's not just based on Rashford is that we don't develop youngsters. We just put them in the team and we rely on them to make something happen.

It happened with Januzaj, Rashford, now we rely on James and the same will happen with Greenwood.

We need to start develop our talented young players alongside good and stable starting 11. Play them when we feel they can make a difference but don't push them by giving them huge contracts and responsibilities. We need enough quality in the squad that one or two youngsters without form won't affect the whole team.

Asger

He's been bad. But he does have some good attributes. He definitely needs a rest.
So did Ravel, maybe we should try to get him in January.. What Rashford needed last year was a loan like Abraham. I really can't see what PL team would want to replace their striker for Rashford.

Asger

In my opinion and it's not just based on Rashford is that we don't develop youngsters. We just put them in the team and we rely on them to make something happen.

It happened with Januzaj, Rashford, now we rely on James and the same will happen with Greenwood.

We need to start develop our talented young players alongside good and stable starting 11. Play them when we feel they can make a difference but don't push them by giving them huge contracts and responsibilities. We need enough quality in the squad that one or two youngsters without form won't affect the whole team.
I agree, why did we f.e. never loan Rashford, Pereira and those youngster to Championship clubs?? I even remember that Lingard was not even good in Championship but he is starting games for us. We see it now that it was a good decision from Chelsea to loan their youngsters.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We arent exactly stocked with options to be honest. However based on the last few weeks I don't see why Ole would start Rashford ahead of Greenwood. I think the team is more important than his reputation or ego. Besides, we could easily play Rashford as part of the attacking trio behind the CF given his confidence infront of goal looks shot.

It's really very strange. Most clubs play the inform striker up top. We continue to play the out of form one.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
His new contract is a joke, 200k+bonus, same as Kane, who regularly scores 25-40+ goals a season.

What has he done to justify that? Hardly score any goals except penalty, waste a lot of chances, made a lot of bad deciision, never score more than 13 goals a season. 48 goals in 178 games for a forward player is a pissed poor return. He is young and learning though.

IMO on current form he is only slightly better version of Lingard, runs alot, does abit of fancy stuffs, but fails alot of times, just a headless chicken.

Last edited:

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Yeah, I don’t see him being dropped anytime soon given our injuries and fixture list up ahead. Next 4 in PL are Newcastle (A), Liverpool (H), Norwich (A), and Bournemouth (A).

Martial is out until Int’l break so Newcastle is out of question, the other 3 are all potential banana skin and I can’t see him dropping one of his better players (at least in Ole’s mind).

No excuse to keep playing Lingard though, he’s a total fraud in every essence.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
That contract that pays him the same as Harry Kane is OGS version of the contract Moyes' gave to Rooney.

Ludicrous move - should be on 50-60k and fighting a place in the first 11.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Dropped for who?
And we get to the crux of the problem.

Ok Redrom wasnt the best striker out there. Granted he was pretty average in his time here, had his moments though, just few and far between. Buuuuuttt..... Average is better than no-one at all.

Rashford should be back up to a main striker, an understudy gaining experience and growing his game. Not the lead striker, he is still just a 21 y/o kid and not at that level yet.

I agree he should be on probably half what he is taking home. If he comes off the back of a 20+ goals season, by all means increase his contract. But until then why is he earning the same or more than say a Kane? Rashford atm frankly is not even close to Kane, sure he may end up a great goal scorer and if that happens, pay him the money, put in the graft/hard yards and possess the skills? Earn the rewards. Seems we hand out lucrative contracts just for turning up to training not hung over.

Kush

That contract that pays him the same as Harry Kane is OGS version of the contract Moyes' gave to Rooney.

Ludicrous move - should be on 50-60k and fighting a place in the first 11.
Anthony Martial is paid 25% more than Kane too. We just overpay all of our players, Rashford is no exception.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He’s becoming like Lukaku. Lack of movement. I have said this before that it was foolish to give him the contract that he wants when we shouldn’t be afraid of losing him.

meamth

Anthony Martial is paid 25% more than Kane too. We just overpay all of our players, Rashford is no exception.
That's the premium price you have to pay due to no CL. Players needs other assurances and attractions if there's no CL.

Blame the board, not Ole.

meamth

He's dangerously turning into the next Gabby Agbonlahor or Dwight Gayle at this rate.

Kush

That's the premium price you have to pay due to no CL. Players needs other assurances and attractions if there's no CL.

Blame the board, not Ole.
Where did I blame Ole for his wages? :houllier:

Tarrou

I’d give Greenwood a start up front, but hopefully Martial will come back soon anyway

steve.crowford

Can you really blame Pogba for wanting to leave?
Nope, I played in team sports, and players like Rashford, athletic, self-confident and talented, are always the leaders of their teams, but he doesn’t know how to score and it’s just a depressing fact, he won’t be the center forward with such realization of the moments, and left the winger seems to be also because James does a lot more useful than Rashford, but we need such players.

Wolf8312

He’s becoming like Lukaku. Lack of movement. I have said this before that it was foolish to give him the contract that he wants when we shouldn’t be afraid of losing him.
Yeah get rid of him as well!

People like you wanted Lukaku out without any inkling it seemed, that the result would be this. Now the solution is to get rid of yet more forwards! Are we planning to field the dinner ladies or something?

The solution to any given problem for you guys is always to do the opposite of whatever the manager/team is doing. Not winning? Bring on subs. Subs, not working? Brought on the wrong subs. Playing Rashford? Drop him, and play someone else (there is no-one else!). Got Lukaku, get rid of Lukaku! Got a bad team. Get rid of the whole team.

Rashford is not becoming like Lukaku. Lukaku is gone, so by default Rashford now becomes Lukaku the central focus point for fans to pile up all their frustration upon, and scapegoat.

It runs much deeper than any one player. I'm not saying I rate Rashford, but in this team right now, I think its very difficult to get a sense of the true calibre of many of the players.

This united team for whatever reason seems at the moment to be a curse for all those who put on the shirt. It takes good players and deforms them into shambling husks of their former selves! How long before just like Lukaku, they decide that united is the wrong career path, and that their collective and individual value is declining with every game?

Alot of it is the pressure and surrounding negativity of playing for a great dynasty in visible decline.

Hiring an unknown to reverse a problem that seems to transcend unlimited cash, and the potency of a powerhouse like united, was just the board pushing wildly at random buttons in the hope they would finally hit the right one. Tried famous successful manager? Try unknown unsuccessful manager! It's George Costanza do the opposite!

Lukaku was never the problem! He has incredible potential, who could and should have been devoloped from good into great.

He knew he couldn't progress as a player at united and under Ole and so left. You can act like united are better off without him, but the unfortunate truth is, he is better off without united.

Pogba and many others know this too.

Last edited:

norm87cro

A fan of his but yeah it will do him good at this point. Start Martial if fit or Greenwood and give Rashford a chance from the bench

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

People like you wanted Lukaku out without any inkling it seemed, that the result would be this. Now the solution is to get rid of yet more forwards! Are we planning to field the dinner ladies or something?

The solution to any given problem for you guys is always to do the opposite of whatever the manager/team is doing. Not winning? Bring on subs. Subs, not working? Brought on the wrong subs. Playing Rashford? Drop him, and play someone else (there is no-one else!). Got Lukaku, get rid of Lukaku! Got a bad team. Get rid of the whole team.

Rashford is not becoming like Lukaku. Lukaku is gone, so by default Rashford now becomes Lukaku the central focus point for fans to pile up all their frustration upon, and scapegoat.

It runs much deeper than any one player. I'm not saying I rate Rashford, but in this team right now, I think its very difficult to get a sense of the true calibre of many of the players.

This united team for whatever reason seems at the moment to be a curse for all those who put on the shirt. It takes good players and deforms them into shambling husks of their former selves! How long before the likes of Lukaku, they decide that united is the wrong career path, and that their collective and individual value is declining with every game?

Alot of it is the pressure and surrounding negativity of playing for a great dynasty in visible decline.

Hiring an unknown to reverse a problem that seems to transcend unlimited cash, and the potency of a powerhouse like united, was just the board pushing wildly at random buttons in the hope they would finally hit the right one. Tried famous successful manager? Try unknown unsuccessful manager! It's George Costanza do the opposite!

Lukaku was never the problem! He has incredible potential, who could and should have been devoloped from good into great.

He knew he couldn't progress as a player at united and under Ole and so left. You can act like united are better off without him, but the unfortunate truth is, he is better off without united.

Such a silly post I have ever read today.

I never said get rid of Rashford. I said that we shouldn’t be giving him whatever he wants in his contract. If rashford wants money then don’t stay in the club, move somewhere else. If he wants big money then he needs to prove himself first.

Lukaku was never United’s standard and doesn’t suit us, moving on from him was the right choice. Same with Veron who was a world class midfielder just doesn’t suit us.

Strelok

feck him. No heart. He's stopped running which is his best quality.
Getting 250k a week (rising to 350k) at that age could do that to you.
I agree, why did we f.e. never loan Rashford, Pereira and those youngster to Championship clubs?? I even remember that Lingard was not even good in Championship but he is starting games for us. We see it now that it was a good decision from Chelsea to loan their youngsters.
His new contract is a joke, 200k+bonus, same as Kane, who regularly scores 25-40+ goals a season.

What has he done to justify that? Hardly score any goals except penalty, waste a lot of chances, made a lot of bad deciision, never score more than 13 goals a season. 48 goals in 178 games for a forward player is a pissed poor return. He is young and learning though.

IMO on current form he is only slightly better version of Lingard, runs alot, does abit of fancy stuffs, but fails alot of times, just a headless chicken.
I found it so ungrateful, unrealistic and pathetic when people talking like these about Rashford. And I see a lot of posters here seem to hate him.

He's having a bad run and suddenly he became shit. They seem to already forget the time he was our biggest hope and this very team, even under Mourinho was relying on him. Remember the last matches of the last Europa League for example? Or the first matches under Ole?

They seem to forget that this guy always run his socks off, give his all to the team. Always.

They seem to forget the amazing moments he gave us when he scored against Arsenal, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs.

They seem to forget he's currently evaluated at 80 £m by most transfer sites. Yeah he's a player at Championship level.

They seem to forget he was on a 25 £k a week deal while he was playing week in week out at the PL level, especially while some players like Sanchez or Lukaku was on ridiculous contracts doing and giving basically nothing.

They seem to forget that he is our only striker now and Greenwood, despite probably huge potential is only 17 and far from physically ready for the league. Especially speed.

This is pathetic.

Last edited:

UpWithRivers

Every man and his dog can see he isnt a striker...except Ole. Baffling since it is the one area of the pitch you think Ole would be good at.

markhrad

This united team for whatever reason seems at the moment to be a curse for all those who put on the shirt. It takes good players and deforms them into shambling husks of their former selves! How long before the likes of Lukaku, they decide that united is the wrong career path, and that their collective and individual value is declining with every game?

I totally agree with those statements. Those players are vilified and not allowed to be the main focus of the team, simply because fans look at them as competition to their favourites. After a while those players suffer from a lack of confidence. The only person who was not affected was Zlatan but in that regard he is exceptional.

Wolf8312

Such a silly post I have ever read today.

I never said get rid of Rashford. I said that we shouldn’t be giving him whatever he wants in his contract. If rashford wants money then don’t stay in the club, move somewhere else. If he wants big money then he needs to prove himself first.

Lukaku was never United’s standard and doesn’t suit us, moving on from him was the right choice. Same with Veron who was a world class midfielder just doesn’t suit us.
I know you never said that, but you did say united shouldn't fear losing him...

And this 'us' that you talk about is an ideal and imaginary construct or aspiration that you have built up in your mind, in the same way people harp on about 'the united way.' That team no longer exists...

To say that Lukaku is somehow below the standards of a team and forward line whose actual standards are clearly below his own is just bizarre IMO!

You're imaginarily dropping people from an imaginary team because said player doesen't meet the requirements or standards of a team that doesen't actually exist except in your own imagination.

And moving on is fine, but before any replacement, or back up has arrived, and no plan B?

It's like eagerly jumping onto a boat that hasn't even arrived yet...

Last edited:

Will Singh

I agree but if he’s getting dropped then JlingZ needs to be dropped also, I don’t know how this guy has blagged a career at United.

The Urban Goose

Every man and his dog can see he isnt a striker...except Ole. Baffling since it is the one area of the pitch you think Ole would be good at.
The problem is if he's not a striker, what is he? A worse version of Nani? Gareth Bale without the shooting ability? An overhyped Saha?

The Urban Goose

He's clearly not progressing. There needs to be more scrutiny of our coaching. Are McKenna and Carrick the world class coaches that a club like Utd needs?

We don't hear stories any more of coaches visiting other clubs and learning new or progressive coaching plays. Is Phelan still doing the same things as 10 years ago? What exactly do they spend the week doing?