Rashford - New contract or sell?

What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Rashford would be in a very different place if he'd had proper coaching across the first half of his pro career.
Coaching or not, that place should be a midtable PL club, at best.

fallengt

Rashford would be in a very different place if he'd had proper coaching across the first half of his pro career.
You could say the same about literally everyone.
Why stop there? Bring Welbeck back.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
I think ETG needs to send a message to the playing group by targeting a player. Perhaps showcasing with Rashford that United will not readily give money away for underperformance can be the message.

When Arteta exiled PEA he assumed control and Arsenal have been better for it. we even see in the amazon documentary the Arsenal hierarchy were wanting Arteta to reconcile with PEA but Arteta wouldn't budge. Im waiting for ETG to cut the shit and made an example out of one of the players to send a message. My candidates for the example would be one of Maguire, Rashford, Bruno, Shaw.

Ronaldo got away with going home at half time. Whats ETG doing? He has a shaved head and goatee, looks like a tough guy but he hasn't stamped his authority on the playing group.

Giving Rashford a pay rise would continue the spiral your in. Call his bluff, the next time his agent flouts PSG's apparent interest, say a sale wouldn't be out of the question. But apparently United have slapped a 120m price tag on him which only elevates Rashfords case for wanting a pay rise. If you value a player at 120m dont be surprised when he wants more than his present 200k a week.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Absolutely no way on earth that he should get a bumper contract. No way. Offer the same terms if necessary but no more. Totally unmerited. He’s looked as tired playing for us as I’ve got of watching him play for us.

T’is a shame. It only seems like 5 mins ago that I was telling my Liverpool supporting boss about this kid coming through the ranks. ‘He’ll be a superstar’. Now it feels like I’ve been watching him for 50 years! Plateaued very early.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
20 G&a in 20-21
27 g&a in 19-20
16 g&a in 18-19

What a young producing player he was. Shame that it seems to have changed post injury.

He will always have my respect because I always personally enjoyed him when he was producing.

fps

You could say the same about literally everyone.
Why stop there? Bring Welbeck back.
I don't think so, no. Rashford's stats before his injury were on trajectory towards being a very good player, he could make the difference and looked impressive taking players on. He was a very exciting young talent. His decision-making isn't very good, but in the modern game that is actually something that's taken out of a lot of top players' control by a strong managerial/coaching hand - at City for instance if you don't do what Pep wants positionally and tactically he drops you or moves you on. I don't see any technical reason Rashford couldn't be a much better player than he is. His physicality is a different matter.

Welbeck couldn't score enough goals, and he wasn't explosive enough, that didn't look like being an issue for Rashford.

stw2022

An injury that makes a player appear match fit and sharp in training and therefore selected by successive managers over a sustained period of time but leads to his fitness levels and decision making going to cock on match day is a cruel thing

Bless him, because in this case it seems to predominantly impact him when the other team have the ball, preventing him from tracking back and working hard that I know he's desperate to do.

It's so unfair. He trains well. Long days at Carrington. He's asking Ronaldo for tips on how to get even better, he's showing the world on Instagram proof he's the at his pique of physical fitness. He gets passed fit to play and the opposition start to press us down or our left side and WHAM - injured again. Or at least its the only scenario where his past injuries seem to impact him the most. You have to feel for the lad suffering this for so long

Life is so fecking cruel

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
He has obviously stall in development, i think something went wrong for him and i don't think he'll ever find it for us in such a pressure and toxic environment, for his good he needs to go.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’d love him to go to the Bundesliga.

Bundesliga has that high line where if you cut past it then it leads you to have a freedom to make a decision of running and taking shots or cutting back to a team mate with a relative freedom.

I feel that freedom in the Bundesliga would really help Rashford’s decision making.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Last year we were all over the place, the only player that stood up and gave something was Ronaldo, everyone else was just rubbish, some more than others.
We should see what happens with Rashford this season, I don't think he is finished yet, he is 24 and I still have hope he can give a lot more for us footballing wise. For that reason I wouldn't sell him now, we can offer him a new contract with normal wages this way we are protected in case his current deal runs out.
There's a lot of hatred towards him recently, probably because the hopes were high for him but his recent trajectory has been rather disappointing. He won't be a Ronaldo or a Neymar but he can still come good for us.

Bestietom

He was one of the reasons I left earlyfrom games last season. Just strolling around the pitch not even trying.
If we could fetch a decent price for him now, let him off and bring in Antony. We have plenty of cover on left side.

Zippycup

For me the relationship has turned sour and its a long way back, if not impossible.

I'd liken it to a husband and wife staying together for the sake of the kids. It just doesn't work

We need an rvn

We can’t offer a player a new contract who hasn’t performed to the standard we need for over two years now.

We keep saying the board has to learn from previous mistakes (dog, shaw, Jones, martialetc)

I say activity the one year extension and if he doesn’t improve under eth then take what we can next summer

Last edited:

Polar

He's never come remotely close. This is the problem we have, much of the faith that remains in him is based on rose-tinted assessments of his previous ability and performance.
Depends on definition of world class, but to me a player is world class when he is a key player on United and regular starter on England, even captained the team once (youngest captain since Owen).

If you define world class as Ballon d'Or (Messi, Mbappe, Modric, Ronaldo), you are right, but to me it’s a way to strict definition.

Anyway.. Your wording like “rose-tinted assessment” and “not remotely close” tells me you are biased:lol:

avgp_1

Should sell if we get a decent offer, around 40m. Just doesn't seem like he has the confidence to influence things when the team isnt doing well.

If the ball doesn't get to him enough then drop down and try to get involved. He used to try and be the playmaker from LW in the past, see none of that anymore.

Pretty much goes through the motions. As an attacker entering his peak years that's just not good enough

ROFLUTION

We should sell given we actually have a buyer. He’s on way too high a wage and doesnt perform accordingly - time to stop being romantic and cut the chord while we can get a decent fee out of him. To me, Elanga will produce the same output this season and next if he had to replace him.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I wish we were in a position where selling was a no brainer. No one should be allowed to survive a season like he had last year. But we kind of have to put up with him making up the numbers because of the club’s uselessness.

Red Link

Think we should sell as I don't personally ever see him hitting his previous heights with us. Mentally there's something off with him everytime he steps onto the pitch.

Rather we cash in on him and sign a replacement.

Banana Republic

We should sell given we actually have a buyer……..
But we don’t have a buyer.
This has all been put out by Rashford’s PR via the French football media.
PSG have said that he was on their list of players they were interested in, a couple of seasons ago and he still remains of interest (probably like dozens of other players).
They have stated they are more interested in homegrown young talent, where possible.
Rashford’s agent is said to have made contact with them, but PSG have made no moves or approaches for the player.

Don’t get me wrong.
If anyone comes in with a bid, we should bite their hands off.
Even for a fire sale price.
That £200k pw should be buying the services of some top talent, not being spent on some gamble that isn’t paying off and with a hopeful wish it might do one day.

Last edited:

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I don’t believe Campos would be that interested in Rashford. Maybe at 18/19, but at 24/25 he’s a worse player and on a massive contract. I don’t think Marcus Thuram is that good either, but he’s about the same level as Rashford is now, cheaper and French. And Campos will know loads of better alternatives to Thuram. I can’t see why they’d bother with Rashford.

Lentwood

I tend to agree with those who believe that his loss of form isn't just that, but where his game is now. The problem is that Ten Hag may want to keep him, but the club have to make a decision to keep him, which means awarding him a new contract before next summer, or cashing in now.
If you look back at my post history, you'll see I have been very sceptical about Rashford since Jose's first season.

When he came into the team he had that little purple-patch where he scored a few goals and i feel because United fans and the club were desperate for something to be optimistic about, we hailed him as the second-coming. There were posters comparing him favourably to the likes of Mbappe, Ronaldo and Rooney at the same age!

The trouble for me was always that he was very raw, his touch and his passing ability were always very suspect, he was poor in the air, poor with his back to goal and a bit of a pace merchant. I will say he could always finish, had a good long-range shot and his directness caused problems for defenders.

You hoped he would kick-on...but by the time he hit 20/21, none of the technical aspects of his game had improved, he had become predictable, he had started complicating his game and I felt the odd goal or assist here or there were masking major flaws.

Over the last two seasons, we see what happens when his defenders can no longer point to his (arguably average anyway) goals and assist numbers. Without that, the tide is out and he is well and truly naked.

Unfortunately, the club failed again to properly assess one of our players, turned down supposed good offers and gave him a massive contract. It would have been far better to sell peak-hype for £100m+ and reinvest that money...although to be fair we'd have probably ballsed that up anyway!

Long story short...the takeaway is blind optimism and being a good, local lad dont make world-class. I can forgive fans for falling for hype because we all want to believe....but the supposed experts at the club should know better!

Doracle

The problem with posts like the above is they go too far in their desire to play down how difficult it is to replace the Rashford of 18-21. His numbers in 19-20 and 20-21 weren’t “arguably average”. He was up there with the best left wingers in Europe. Vinicius got rave reviews last year for putting up similar stats, in a much better team. It will cost us £100 million to replace that player - we’ve seen how even Sancho is nowhere near that level yet.

It’s possible that the Rashford we’ve seen for the last year or so is what we are stuck with. We clearly can’t renew his contract currently - that would be madness. However, we also can’t let him go until we’ve seen what ETH can get out of him as there’s no doubt that it simply didn’t work with Ralf. Its a situation where we get behind him, hope he comes good but acknowledge this is a make or break season for him.

clarkydaz

The problem with posts like the above is they go too far in their desire to play down how difficult it is to replace the Rashford of 18-21. His numbers in 19-20 and 20-21 weren’t “arguably average”. He was up there with the best left wingers in Europe. Vinicius got rave reviews last year for putting up similar stats, in a much better team. It will cost us £100 million to replace that player - we’ve seen how even Sancho is nowhere near that level yet.

It’s possible that the Rashford we’ve seen for the last year or so is what we are stuck with. We clearly can’t renew his contract currently - that would be madness. However, we also can’t let him go until we’ve seen what ETH can get out of him as there’s no doubt that it simply didn’t work with Ralf. Its a situation where we get behind him, hope he comes good but acknowledge this is a make or break season for him.
reports pretty much suggest its already under discussion. Now you can play like shite, kick up a stink against the club yet still get a big contract renewal. Not one ounce of accountability throughout. Utter madness this is being pandered to

alexthelion

An injury that makes a player appear match fit and sharp in training and therefore selected by successive managers over a sustained period of time but leads to his fitness levels and decision making going to cock on match day is a cruel thing

Bless him, because in this case it seems to predominantly impact him when the other team have the ball, preventing him from tracking back and working hard that I know he's desperate to do.

It's so unfair. He trains well. Long days at Carrington. He's asking Ronaldo for tips on how to get even better, he's showing the world on Instagram proof he's the at his pique of physical fitness. He gets passed fit to play and the opposition start to press us down or our left side and WHAM - injured again. Or at least its the only scenario where his past injuries seem to impact him the most. You have to feel for the lad suffering this for so long

Life is so fecking cruel
Yep, it's a real shame.

Lecland07

Will it even be the club's choice? I wouldn't be surprised if Rashford refused any new contract, anyway. I think there are a few big clubs that will sign him up still.

Banana Republic

ETH will play him until he’s seen enough.
I think that’s the sensible thing to do, before passing judgement on the long term.

If we manage to get in another winger (LW or RW) before the window closes, Rashford will be dropped by the time the WC break comes, unless he shows the sort of improvement, we had glimpses of in pre-season.
A lot will depend on the Ronaldo situation, Martial being fit, any new arrivals and whether Garnacho can be slotted in for more than a few appearances.
Hopefully the club management are wiser than before and hold off on any contract talks, until ETH has decided where this is going.

Rightnr

Man I really hope we don't lose our superstar.

Don't be stupid sell this guy, he adds nothing.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We certainly shouldn't be giving him a new contract. However I find myself also loathe to sell him now that we finally have a manager and coaching staff that should , in theory at least, be finally providing a tactical set-up and training that should develop our players. Something we haven't had since LVG when he first broke into the team. I guess that means give him one more season even though I'm not particularly hopeful, and then if he continues to be poor then try to sell him next season. Sure we'll get much less money (both because of only one year on his contract and having now had three poor seasons), but it'd make me sick to the stomach if he did turn it back around at another team.

In saying that, it also depends on how much PSG did offer (even though I'm 98% certain this is just Rashford and his agent angling for a new contract).

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
We don't have to offer him a new contract.

If I were Murtough I'd tell Rashford that he is valued by United, but that we cannot possibly offer him a big extension/boost at this point in time: too many x-factors involved, including his own form (which was dreadful last season).

However, if he proves himself as a proper asset under ten Hag - sure, of course we'll offer an extension, and more money, etc.

If he doesn't like that and there actually is a decent offer from PSG on the table (I won't comment on how likely that is) - well, then! Pretty obvious what we should do.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
We don't have to offer him a new contract.

If I were Murtough I'd tell Rashford that he is valued by United, but that we cannot possibly offer him a big extension/boost at this point in time: too many x-factors involved, including his own form (which was dreadful last season).

However, if he proves himself as a proper asset under ten Hag - sure, of course we'll offer an extension, and more money, etc.

If he doesn't like that and there actually is a decent offer from PSG on the table (I won't comment on how likely that is) - well, then! Pretty obvious what we should do.
All of this.

Rash isn't in a good position to be pressuring us for a new contract based on his woeful performances so far. Needs to work hard and improve before any extension on better wages will even be discussed.

Rightnr

They better not even dream of this guy being here beyond next year.

slored1

Biggest scammer in football right now. Could not play in Slovenian league if he wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.