Rashford - New contract or sell?

What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It’s so alarming that 85% of the Caf believed we should sell him. I called those people idiots then and I’ll call them idiots now. People have the patience and attention span of insects, by and large.
It's slightly more complicated, though.

A fair number of those who voted "sell" may have been doing so because in their minds the alternative would have been "offer him a stupidly inflated, stupidly long-term contract". Which wouldn't have been an entirely unreasonable take at the time.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It's slightly more complicated, though.

A fair number of those who voted "sell" may have been doing so because in their minds the alternative would have been "offer him a stupidly inflated, stupidly long-term contract". Which wouldn't have been an entirely unreasonable take at the time.
The alternative was completely assumptive doom mongering then? I Can see your point and I’m not trying to be argumentative, but one can’t legislate for people externalising their fears. I think it’s a fair question to ask if we should sell him or extend him on a “stupidly long and exorbitant contract”, that said many of the responses wanted him gone because he was “shit” or a “total waste of space”. And that is clearly what I am railing against.

Threesus

This guy barely looked like a footballer last season and now that he has hit some form, apparently everyone who questioned him was wrong. I don’t see any need to constantly bump this thread. Let’s see if he can maintain this form for the rest of the season. If he can do that, then fair enough.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The alternative was completely assumptive doom mongering then? I Can see your point and I’m not trying to be argumentative, but one can’t legislate for people externalising their fears. I think it’s a fair question to ask if we should sell him or extend him on a “stupidly long and exorbitant contract”, that said many of the responses wanted him gone because he was “shit” or a “total waste of space”. And that is clearly what I am railing against.
I know what you're railing against - and I'm with you there. The anti-Rashford sentiment on here is something I've been railing against myself.

But this thread was made before ETH arrived, for one thing.

Rashford, at the time, was a pretty underwhelming player (like most, yes) - and it wouldn't have been entirely unreasonable to consider a new contract for him as just another stupid move on United's part.

What I said myself - at the time - was that United should not offer him a new long-term contract. (I don't think I actually voted in this poll). But that we should offer him a short-term extension on the same terms - and then make him prove himself worthy of an improved, long-term contract.

Gavinb33

2019/20 season?
out of 22 goals scored 16 came in 2019. As soon as 2020 started he went to shit and has just recently started showing the performances from back then.
He's been abysmal for almost 2 and a half years
Not for nothing but what happened in 20 was that the year he broke his bloody back maybe that had something to do with it maybe right?

FCAES_7

Sometimes we as fans jumps to conclusions, Rashford always showed he had the skills and a good goal scorer, the Euro finals miss didnt help in his advancement and we as United fans were quickly to jump against him! I alway remember Modric when fans right players off, after one season at Madrid, Real fans wanted him sold and saying he is not good enough, look at him now. Rashford given the right environment to grow I believe he can break Rooney's scoring record for us and I really hope he does it as it will benefit us and he seems like a really good person. I'm a big believer in him being a great Manchester United player if not one of the greatest, hope he doesn't disappoint me.

Doracle

Not for nothing but what happened in 20 was that the year he broke his bloody back maybe that had something to do with it maybe right?
He also contributed 27 GA in 34 matches in the remainder of 2020, after his back injury (despite the fact he seemed to still be being cautious with his movement a bit at times). His drop in form was in 2021, when he seemed to be really struggling with injury, culminating in his operation.

Anyone saying he was poor for 2.5 years is just trying to justify their poor judgement and lack of patience with him.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Who the feck are you exactly? My word, some of you belong in Musk's Twitter paradise.
I'm the guy who voted 'Ramp up the efforts to renew his contract.' The 14.8% who don't have to eat sh1t and sit in the corner.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
what happened in 2021? Because it was even worse than 2020.

edit:

EPL only - Whole year
2020 - 26games 12goals 9assists
2021 - 32games 6goals 7 assists
2022 - 30games 7goals 4asssts - 1 game left

last 3 seasons 88 games 25 goals 20assists
and some here are pretending criticism wasn't warranted.

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
How some of you manage to get any sunlight when you're so far up your behind is truly a marvel of nature.
You will actually find my only other post here is defending someone who's opinion I disagreed with from someone "in my camp" being a dick.

That's why I simply avoid these threads, full of dickheads regardless of their opinion.

glazed

You will actually find my only other post here is defending someone who's opinion I disagreed with from someone "in my camp" being a dick.

That's why I simply avoid these threads, full of dickheads regardless of their opinion.
And yet here you are.

I don't see why you feel the need to defend the 85%. The problem was never Rashford - it was the awful coaching of Ole followed by the dysfunctional interregnum of Ralf. Plus Ronaldo. Folks should just man up and admit they were talking out of their asses.

Posh Red

And yet here you are.

I don't see why you feel the need to defend the 85%. The problem was never Rashford - it was the awful coaching of Ole followed by the dysfunctional interregnum of Ralf. Plus Ronaldo. Folks should just man up and admit they were talking out of their asses.
It was very shortsighted to write him off in my opinion, and I think that goes for many United fans who saw the players true potential, in spite of his poor spell. History shows that it can take time for a player to put it all together, and Rashford has always had the attributes to be a top player. Add in all of the mitigating circumstances you reference, and it makes some of the posts in this thread look sillier still.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He’s on a good ascendancy, let him continue for 6 / 9 more months then his sour patch of 18 months will be forgotten.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

edit:

EPL only - Whole year

Fecking hell using calendar year to fit your narrative, god you're boring. Like I've said before stick to posting gifs

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
And yet here you are.
Replying, this being my last as there's nothing much to contribute.

I don't see why you feel the need to defend the 85%.
Is that a thing now? I just stuck up for someone who is quite clearly a committed supporter who was being told to get out and go support City by some top red randomer.

Eugenius

It’s so alarming that 85% of the Caf believed we should sell him. I called those people idiots then and I’ll call them idiots now. People have the patience and attention span of insects, by and large.
The caf has become ridiculous knee jerk, herd mentality revisionist over the years. Probably the social media influence. Sell him and buy who... Really?!

glazed

Replying, this being my last as there's nothing much to contribute.

Is that a thing now? I just stuck up for someone who is quite clearly a committed supporter who was being told to get out and go support City by some top red randomer.
Nah I just pointed out how wrong or late to the party about things most of the caf usually is. At least on the muppet transfer threads they know it's all rubbish. And I'm no top red. I never gave the Glazers a penny.

Doracle

edit:

EPL only - Whole year

Don’t double down on stupidity dude. You can’t post 21 GA in 26 games for the year you originally said he “went to shit” and then say the next year was “even worse”. I presume you understand that 21 GA in 26 games from left wing is world class?

Face the fact you got it wrong and move on. We all have to do it from time to time.

GifLord

Fecking hell using calendar year to fit your narrative, god you're boring. Like I've said before stick to posting gifs
Yeah because it looks way worse if i don't
This was last season

Don’t double down on stupidity dude. You can’t post 21 GA in 26 games for the year you originally said he “went to shit” and then say the next year was “even worse”. I presume you understand that 21 GA in 26 games from left wing is world class?

Face the fact you got it wrong and move on. We all have to do it from time to time.
No some of us have eyes. I still remember the idiots here praising his performances when he scored a tap in but before that was probably one of the worst player on the pitch...
And when some of us pointed out he was dogshit the defense was HE SCORED SO HE DOESN'T DESERVE THE CRITICISM.

El Jefe

The downfall of Greenwood and Sancho has strongly improved the bargaining position of Rashford.

All of a sudden he's our most important attacker, and its really crazy considering how things ended last season. I have to give him a lot of credit for turning things around but we're in big trouble if he's our most important attacker.

Sticking to the theme of the thread though, he should be given a new deal but we need to be careful not offering another DDG type deal.

glazed

Everyone is for sale for the right price, but I'd rather he stay than Martial.
Another player looking transformed by a decent coach. Sadly can't fix his glass muscles though

Mr PG

Rashford was a disaster for 2 seasons .. and was actually never that good fundamentally… meaning he couldn’t pass the ball and decision making was all over the place. Enter ETH… Rashford, Dalot, Bruno (remember he was occassional warming the bench for Portugal at the euros). Every player has improved a lot… because they’re finally receiving proper top level coaching. Even DeGea’s foot game has improved.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
This guy barely looked like a footballer last season and now that he has hit some form, apparently everyone who questioned him was wrong. I don’t see any need to constantly bump this thread. Let’s see if he can maintain this form for the rest of the season. If he can do that, then fair enough.
Most sensible post in a while.
I was one of the 85% who thought a player who basically couldn't kick his own arse and didn't try a leg should be sold.
Totally agree he is now playing much better but if we are honest, he is playing at the level we expect from a Utd player on £200k per week and has been doing it for a few months . No better, no worse. His bar was so low people are now thinking he is world level.
Before we start the Mbappe comparisons, lets hope it continues until the end of the season.
Only then should we talk about mega contracts.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Alarming is people not being able to afford their heating bills, not a fans opinion on a forum, you overreacting bellend. Only one idiot here

Doracle

And the two seasons before that? No one is denying he had a shocker last season but he wasn't alone
I suspect that he made an error and meant to say Rashford was poor from the start of 2021 (which would be a supportable argument - he was certainly struggling, probably through injury, towards the end of that season) but he’s so unwilling to admit he made an error that he’s doubling down on the argument Rashford was poor in 2020.

I do have sympathy for the 85% though. They are being made to look like fools now but that’s mainly because of the way the poll is written. It was perfectly valid to see how Rashford did this season before rushing to offer him a new contract (as the club has done) - only giving options of renew or sell left out the correct choice, leading to the high volume of votes to sell.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If you think Rashford had a good 2020/21 season then you're even more deluded than the CR fanboys on here.
his output considering his shoulder injury for most of that season was very good you're deluded if you turn a blind eye to the fact he was playing through an injury and that it didn't have an impact on his overall performances

GifLord

I suspect that he made an error and meant to say Rashford was poor from the start of 2021 (which would be a supportable argument - he was certainly struggling, probably through injury, towards the end of that season) but he’s so unwilling to admit he made an error that he’s doubling down on the argument Rashford was poor in 2020.

I do have sympathy for the 85% though. They are being made to look like fools now but that’s mainly because of the way the poll is written. It was perfectly valid to see how Rashford did this season before rushing to offer him a new contract (as the club has done) - only giving options of renew or sell left out the correct choice, leading to the high volume of votes to sell.
He was poor in 2020 aswell. He was crazy inconsistent. Then came that 2 month period between end of October to December where people started to compare him to Mbappe. Went downhill pretty fast

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Ah rashford... so cold and hot, inconsistent bastard

But hes our inconsistent bastard, unplayable from time to time

Id keep him in our club his entire career, but he has to accept he has to be benched when he is in the lows. If he has no problem with that, no problem with me, i like the guy

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
From now on, I am only going to comment on issues regarding players, managers, team selection etc long after the initial discussion.
I am also changing my name to Captain Hindsight.
I will obviously be 100% correct every time and will call everyone out as stupid, idiots, morons.
I expect to be acknowledged as the cleverest person ever on the CAF.
Thankyou

NLunited

I always believed in him, hopefully he won’t dip in form and prove me wrong again.

Posh Red

From now on, I am only going to comment on issues regarding players, managers, team selection etc long after the initial discussion.
I am also changing my name to Captain Hindsight.
I will obviously be 100% correct every time and will call everyone out as stupid, idiots, morons.
I expect to be acknowledged as the cleverest person ever on the CAF.
Thankyou
Are you aware of nuanced opinion? Not everything has to be to the extreme. You can say Rashford had a poor spell without advocating for selling the player and drawing a line under it.

Status
Not open for further replies.