What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Here is my take on why 85% thought he should be sold.

His form was terrible for 18m . Was it some psychological barrier and bad coaching OR he couldn't arsed.
He wasn't trying . Was it some injury we were unaware of OR he couldn't be arsed.
He wasn't fit . Was the back operation taking a lot longer to rehab than medical professionals thought OR he couldn't be arsed.
His attitude seemed shocking . Was this just a misunderstanding and the fault of his advisers OR he couldn't be arsed.

I would suggest that the 85% reasonably thought that a homegrown UTD player loved by fans wouldn't think all the problems were HE COULDNT BE ARSED and that he was clearly in decline.
Obviously we were wrong but I think that says more about Rashford than the 85%.
Also if he can do it once, will it really take much for a repeat, especially with a big fat contract as insurance.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Are you aware of nuanced opinion? Not everything has to be to the extreme. You can say Rashford had a poor spell without advocating for selling the player and drawing a line under it.
The survey was literally sell or offer a new contact. Doesn't get more extreme than only 2 options :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's in good form = never had any doubt he should stay :lol:

See you in a few months.

Lynty

He's in good form = never had any doubt he should stay :lol:

See you in a few months.
I mean, you can literally check which posters voted to renew his contract after the worst season of his life.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Here is my take on why 85% thought he should be sold.

His form was terrible for 18m . Was it some psychological barrier and bad coaching OR he couldn't arsed.
He wasn't trying . Was it some injury we were unaware of OR he couldn't be arsed.
He wasn't fit . Was the back operation taking a lot longer to rehab than medical professionals thought OR he couldn't be arsed.
His attitude seemed shocking . Was this just a misunderstanding and the fault of his advisers OR he couldn't be arsed.

I would suggest that the 85% reasonably thought that a homegrown UTD player loved by fans wouldn't think all the problems were HE COULDNT BE ARSED and that he was clearly in decline.
Obviously we were wrong but I think that says more about Rashford than the 85%.
Also if he can do it once, will it really take much for a repeat, especially with a big fat contract as insurance.
He's come out and said his head wasn't in the right place and it's been obvious that he was carrying an injury hence him needing further surgery last summer.

I don't personally think he's deserving of some crazy contract, but losing him and replacing him will cost us more

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
I mean, you can literally check which posters voted to renew his contract after the worst season of his life.
Read that back and explain why that has has any logic to it and would be anything but blind faith.
Yes it seems to be working but there are always anomalies and it seems to have worked for us.
I would suggest though that if we apply the blind faith logic to all our decisions going forward, we might be in the shitter pretty fast.

redshaw

My stance posted here was lets see how he does under ETH and after the surgery, can he remain consistent, if so then offer a new contract. People argued he should be sold at the time but for me he had enough credit for his past performances to wait and see if he can get back. He was also ran into the ground in my view under Ole.

When on form he does look like an 80-100m player that many clubs would like to have and we should be holding on to our local lad, he's given his all in past, chasing down players and loose balls when his team mates weren't but yes he did hit a very rocky patch where he looked lost for 12-18 months. He's now looking very strong and quick with his feet from standstill with the ball, an extra level that you gain when physically right, his skills will shine. I hope he hasn't been tapped up by PSG during his bad spell, we need to hold on to him.

If the club was run properly we wouldn't be having such a drop off and bad atmosphere, a sense of going nowhere and lack of motivation creeping into players. ETH will be addressing that and we should be in the ascendancy.

matt10000

Alarming is people not being able to afford their heating bills, not a fans opinion on a forum, you overreacting bellend. Only one idiot here
To be fair the use of any word is dependent upon the context in which one uses it. For example “it is alarming that people resort to calling others a bellend while hiding behind a keyboard”.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Now make a Moyes thread with the same options and apply the same logic.

I don't expect you to get it but I thought I'd try.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
To be fair the use of any word is dependent upon the context in which one uses it. For example “it is alarming that people resort to calling others a bellend while hiding behind a keyboard”.
He literally called hundreds of people idiots for having a different opinion to himself. I'd say that qualifies. Its alarming you are so offended and mate we are all "hiding" by your definition

RuudTom83

The perfect player doesn't exist, even the monster at City will leave for another league after a few seasons...so with players like Rashford you need to be realistic. If he can contribute 15+ goals/assists a season for 10 years then he is a player worth fighting to keep.

Literally every team in the league would take him.

Lynty

Read that back and explain why that has has any logic to it and would be anything but blind faith.
Yes it seems to be working but there are always anomalies and it seems to have worked for us.
I would suggest though that if we apply the blind faith logic to all our decisions going forward, we might be in the shitter pretty fast.
I'm just pointing out that for those of us who chose to back Rashford and wanted to keep him (blind faith or not) are well within our rights to strut around the thread being smug nobheads. Don't get so uptight about it. I'll expect the same if Rashford from dips again, that's the best thing about thread revivals.

Realistcally, we were only ever going to get max £40m if we put him up for sale last year (taking his salary, form, possible destinations and intent to sell into consideration). More clubs would have opted to wait out a year low ball us summer 23 (which seems to be the case with PSG). Based on the qualities that Rashford had previously demonstrated (hard work, pace, shooting ability, running in behind) I had 100% confidence that a proper coach like Ten Hag could turn him into atleast a £40m player - and he'd be an asset to the squad. So no, I don't think it was blind faith, is was a calculated assumption.

If someone like Chelsea or PSG offered £80m+ for him last summer, my stance would likely have been different.

Lynty

Now make a Moyes thread with the same options and apply the same logic.

I don't expect you to get it but I thought I'd try.
You're right, I don't get your analogy.

I'm having 5minutes of smugness over a pointless internet poll I voted on 6 months ago, whilst you're trying to prove why my smugness over a pointless internet poll is irrational. We're both being immature and little bored, don't you think :lol: let us 182 voters bask in vindication and collect our imaginary interent points.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If the 85% figure shows anything, it's the amount of people that are too quick to write a player off.

He'd have been transferred out for £25m and showing this form elsewhere if the decision had rested with those people.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I think everyone in the 85% should be forced to post in comic sans font for a year so we know who they are. Not that they're hard to spot....

The survey was literally sell or offer a new contact. Doesn't get more extreme than only 2 options :lol:
No-one stuck a gun to your head and made you vote man. :lol:
You could, like myself, be a bit weary about a new deal due to his form, but also have a bit of fuxking nuance about you and understand that even his former manager had told us that he’d played him through injuries and some more nuance to understand that 99% of our players were shite last season as the squad was in freefall. Maybe, just maybe, last season wasn’t truly down to him but down to a squad that was absolutely shot, and all this coming off being completely thrown under the bus by Soutbgate in the Euro final, something that would knock anyone’s confidence/self belief.

In that situation, I simply didn’t vote, nor even bother with the thread, because the only really answer was “let’s see how he does with a new quality manager and then decide”. Just as Pep & Klopp have proven time & time again, a manager matters, alot, an incredible amount of players look much better under top managers and systems that get the best out of them.

It should come as no real surprise that an injury free, confident Rashford looks a top player under a competent attacking manager.

Last edited:

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
I think everyone in the 85% should be forced to post in comic sans font for a year so we know who they are. Not that they're hard to spot....
:lol: So the 182 could really keep a circle jerk going for a year. Fair play to your stamina

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
:lol: So the 182 could really keep a circle jerk going for a year. Fair play to your stamina
I would make it permanent. In fact I volunteer to manually write it in the descriptions of every poster that voted to sell. Like the mark of Cain.

Rolaholic

If the 85% figure shows anything, it's the amount of people that are too quick to write a player off.

He'd have been transferred out for £25m and showing this form elsewhere if the decision had rested with those people.
There's little patience in football these days, especially with fans. Players are called flops and written off immediately if they don't kick on right away or have top seasons from the offset.

The sums involved in transfers have only exacerbated that. The fact that these players are extremely young as well gets completely lost on people and they expect near the finished product from early 20 somethings when most players historically don't get there until their mid to late 20's. In no other profession in the world are young people expected to be fully formed and given all the responsibility by their early 20's.

Wish people could step back more and give players time to breathe, make mistakes and learn from them/develop more rather than expecting perfection and heaping enormous pressure on young lads right away then lashing out and resorting to abuse when they don't match or exceed those enormous expectations. It doesn't help the player or anyone at all.

It didn't used to be like this but it's one of the things I hate the most about modern football. Perspective has been tossed completely out of the window in the face of the explosion of money in the sport and the cesspool of negativity known as social media.

TheReligion

Abusive
Seriously who advises this guy.

Hey Marcus, why dont you show your engagement by doing a photo shoot in a tacky Disney format. All your followers, especially the Utd fans will just love it.
It will really improve your image of being a man of the people and wont make you look like a faker who head is clearly up his own arse at all.

Honestly that is unbelievable :lol:
Rashford barely is anything these days.
If you were a top club, are you spending even £30 million to get what Rashford gives you.
Doesnt score
Doesnt assist
Doesnt press
Doesnt dribble
Doesnt pass
Doesnt head the ball
Doesnt track back

Take away the name and you dont have a player worth £10 million.
Not sure I’ve seen a lot of people praising Campos but I’ll stand corrected if that’s true. PSG are probably our only rivals in wasting money on players versus results so using them as an argument that this somehow means we are all wrong about Rashford is naive in the extreme. Let’s just pray the morons over there take him with a decent fee
If we give Rashford a big new spanking contract on the back of ETH's gushing appraisal of him today, then I truly give up.
I'm beginning to think we got duped into getting ETH's slightly defective clone.
Your mini meltdown, although amusing, prompted me to check why you were so uptight about what @simonhch posted.

Sadly I found this complete and utter guff.

Lesson here is quite simple. It’s perfectly fine to think he should not have a new deal. No problems at all. That said if you choose to do that AND double down on it with loud mouthed obnoxious posts like the above you should fully expect to get called out on it at a later date.

You should have kept quiet, took it on the chin and moved on.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Our patient with players don't get us anywhere. For every Rashford (the jury is still out, imho), there are the likes of Jones, Rojo, Baily, Martial, Pogba, Lingard, etc. Then you have managers like Ole and Mou which were here much longer than they should be.

It's just so silly to take any moral high ground when that patience policy is the big part of causing our slump in the last decade.

TheReligion

Abusive
Our patient with players don't get us anywhere. For every Rashford (the jury is still out, imho), there are the likes of Jones, Rojo, Baily, Martial, Pogba, Lingard, etc. Then you have managers like Ole and Mou which were here much longer than they should be.

It's just so silly to take any moral high ground when that patience policy is the big part of causing our slump in the last decade.
Meh. Yes and no. You can’t slag players to high heaven then not expect a comeback when they prove you wrong either. Works both ways. Dalot is another example. Balance is key.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Meh. Yes and no. You can’t slag players to high heaven then not expect a comeback when they prove you wrong either. Works both ways. Dalot is another example. Balance is key.
Sure, balance is key. That's why a few success (that still need longer duration as evidence) shouldn't be used to prove one thing above others, when the others have more supporting evidence.

Rightnr

I wonder since there's a lot of hindsight Einsteins on here if we can bump an Ole thread or three and see who's the one who should be keeping quiet in the end. Since, you know, so many of you Rashie fanboys like going back and quoting posts.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I suppose I was 'wrong', he's proved he was worth a new £250k+ a week contract at a time when he could barely make the starting line up. We'll done those that saw it.

It's funny reading others that we're also 'wrong' getting wound up by it though :lol: .

galwayfa

I think he comes across as really likeable in interviews, his form pre ETH has being poor a part from stint under Van Gaal and occasionally under the other managers, this is his best form at the longest streak of his best form, of course we shouldnt give him the highest amount but if ETH sees what he likes behind the scenes, give him what his worth

cyberman

Rashford out performed all of those though. Two twenty plus goal seasons with double digit assists in last three and in course for 3 in four. Before that regular double digit goals and assists as a kid.
people jumped on with confirmation bias last season, it’s ok to admit it

M Bison

Supports
York City
Staggering that some people who voted to sell him can’t admit that they got it wrong, just hold your hands up and say It, it’s not difficult.

It’s becoming worse than the “burst his bubble” thread!

Rightnr

Staggering that some people who voted to sell him can’t admit that they got it wrong, just hold your hands up and say It, it’s not difficult.

Maybe 'some people' like to see more than a 1/3 of a good season to say it? Love it how some of you go on about knee-jerking and then come up with these pathetic knee-jerk statements yourselves.

Do you think we should be giving this guy 300k+/week given the club's current financial state? Because that is the question that's being asked and the fact we're so reliant on him is just a consequence of awful management over 5 years, including giving out stupid wages for a good spell, not even half a season.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

He maintains this form for six more months, say til the end of the season, & I’ll definitely raise my hand & admit I got it wrong.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Maybe 'some people' like to see more than a 1/3 of a good season to say it? Love it how some of you go on about knee-jerking and then come up with these pathetic knee-jerk statements yourselves.

Do you think we should be giving this guy 300k+/week given the club's current financial state? Because that is the question that's being asked and the fact we're so reliant on him is just a consequence of awful management over 5 years, including giving out stupid wages for a good spell, not even half a season.
Maybe these people shouldn't have written him off after 1 bad season and the circumstances around it;

Coming off a long term injury and then surgery with no pre-season
Coming off being blamed for England's defeat in the Euro final
Being managed by a genuine PE teacher in Ragnick where no one thrived and Rashford himself barely even played

Ah but I guess your argument now is 1 season is more than enough time to write someone off

AnotherLondonManc

He maintains this form for six more months, say til the end of the season, & I’ll definitely raise my hand & admit I got it wrong.
So at this point, you still think selling him is the best thing to do?

I'm pretty confident you wouldn't be saying that if not for your vote in the above poll. We're in no position to let him go, that much is obvious.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So at this point, you still think selling him is the best thing to do?

I'm pretty confident you wouldn't be saying that if not for your vote in the above poll. We're in no position to let him go, that much is obvious.
On current form, no, we should not be selling him. Hopefully it maintains or even improves.

MrSingh2002

I'm glad he's starting to play well for United, it's the best he's played for 18-24 months.

I don't think anyone who voted to sell was wrong in the sense they have looked at how Rashford has performed over the last 2 seasons and he was miles away from the level required and with having a year left we will get something for him.

What has happened since then is Rashford went on a fitness training regime on the off season, put the effort in in training and is following ETHs instructions and now he's getting a run of good form and hopefully we'll see this consistency for years to come.

Hindsight is 20/20 so it's easy to say the 85% where wrong and 15% would have given a contract, they where using blind faith because there where no signs he was going to get back to his best.

Ultimately though any United fan worth their salt are just happy we're seeing a resurgence of Rashford and long may it continue
Glad he's back on some decent form too. It just would have been pointless to sell him when his stock had no value.

He had injuries under Ole with his back and a long standing shoulder injury which he only had surgery on last season. I always thought once he took time out and addressed the injuries he'd be fine.

Ten Hag is making all the players accountable for their performances it seems. Any weak mentalities will be sifted out or called out and made to prove they deserve the shirt. He's done it with a few players and it's led to Shaw losing bodyfat that he was always stubborn in not bothering to be in shape, Rashford looking much more focused and Sancho being called out for his shape and mentality too.

He's close to having a good squad now. One CB to replace Maguire, hopefully one of the 3 young CMs in De Jong/Bellingham/Fernandez and a striker and we could do something of note next season for sure.

Hopefully Rashford signs an extension and is a part of a bright future under new owners.

M Bison

Supports
York City

As I said in my initial post, staggering.

Longshanks

Still amazes me how people viewed Rashfords dip in form.

He was in very good form for most of 20/21, fell away in the last third but we know he was carrying a pretty debliatating injury an injury that required major surgery and a fairly long lay off to resolve.

Surgery that was delayed by his desire to play in what was essentially a home international tournament. Where his only contribution was to miss a penalty in the shoot out in the final. He then went ahead and had the major surgery and didn't return to play until October 2021 just as the wheels were coming off at the end of Ole's reign.

He got back toward full fitness while playing for one of the worst managers in the clubs history, playing in a united side playing some of the worst football iv seen from a united side in and out of the team playing in different posistions in different formations, playing in a team where noone played well, not one player came out of the rangnick reign with any real credit.

His '18 months of poor form is more like 6 months carrying an injury, 3 months where he was injured and 3 months where he was playing at an international tournament and the close season.

So really it was more like 6 months of poor form,. Playing in the worst, most toxic side of recent history under an awful manager while trying to come back from major surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.