Rashford, our most exciting youth product since Ryan Giggs?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I was much more excited about Januzaj. He looked like a top talent from the moment I saw him in the pre-season. His dribbling, his passing, his vision, his maturity - all looked beyond his years. It's a shame how the last two years have panned out for him.

Before that, Ravel, though never with the first team, looked the most exciting talent to me in years. Amazingly, Pogba never vowed me playing for the U21's (In the few games I watched). His limited minutes for the first team were good but never very special.

Rashford has been amazing so far. Though, I cannot say with full conviction that he is going to make it at the very top.

The other one I have really liked from this season is BJ. Think he'll part of the squad for years to come.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I guess it's easy to say Becks and Scholes in retrospect, given what they accomplished. Neither were generating this kind of buzz at 18, though.
Yeah, in which case the OP should really say most exciting youth product to feature in the first team whilst still a teenager. In which case the answer would be yes. However if its just Youth product then I can only judge that based on my excitement when the player in question came to my notice, and I was more excited when Scholes and Becks first came to my notice than I am now that Rashford came to my notice.

I'm not really taking age into account with the question because its not been mentioned in the OP and because as with Adnan some teenage youth products can sometimes take a backward step after a forward one (I was still more excited by Adnan though despite his recent set backs).

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Pogba was so obviously a real talent, sadly saf didn't see it.

Rashford nothing like the 'obviousness' of Pogba but has massive potential, but very early days.

ottosec

Januzaj was much more exciting in his first year than Rashford.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Pogba was so obviously a real talent, sadly saf didn't see it.

Rashford nothing like the 'obviousness' of Pogba but has massive potential, but very early days.
Pogba wasnt good enough at that time, but SAF still kept including him in the squad and actually wanted him to stay, it's not as if SAF didnt see the talent , but Pogba wasnt ready at that time. He had injuries that season and wasnt even convincing in the u21, yet SAF promoted him to the first team.

Tiber

Pogba wasnt good enough at that time, but SAF still kept including him in the squad and actually wanted him to stay, it's not as if SAF didnt see the talent , but Pogba wasnt ready at that time. He had injuries that season and wasnt even convincing in the u21, yet SAF promoted him to the first team.
Nonsense. He was "more ready" than Park to play cm. Fergie badly mishandled Pogba. Fergie gave players much less ready than Pogba a chance, Pogba was mishandled because his agent and manager didn't get on.

Pogba wasnt what he is now, but you can't seriously say he was a lesser cm than Rafael?

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Nonsense. He was "more ready" than Park to play cm. Fergie badly mishandled Pogba. Fergie gave players much less ready than Pogba a chance, Pogba was mishandled because his agent and manager didn't get on.

Pogba wasnt what he is now, but you can't seriously say he was a lesser cm than Rafael?
It was one match, Pogba didnt even really deserve to be in the selection as his performances in the academy didnt warrant that at that specific moment. More ready than Park, no chance, he'd easily be our best midfielder currently. More ready than Rafael, probably yeah, but those things happen, Fergie thought that was the best decision, and if I recall, it even worked.

NinjaFletch

It was one match, Pogba didnt even really deserve to be in the selection as his performances in the academy didnt warrant that at that specific moment. More ready than Park, no chance, he'd easily be our best midfielder currently. More ready than Rafael, probably yeah, but those things happen, Fergie thought that was the best decision, and if I recall, it even worked.
:confused: We lost against Blackburn, who got relegated, and lost the league on goal difference. That game came as close to losing us the title as any one game can in a 38 game season.

Tiber

One match did wonders for Rashford when he was given a chance. Even at the time I thought that midfield selection was bizzare. You are right its very possible starting Pogba that day wouldn't have mattered, but just maybe, if he got that start Pogba could have had a run in the team and would be a United superstar today. I can only imagine that Fergie was blinded by the contract talks.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Yeah Pogba went because SAF didn't trust agents and didn't like players with ideas above their station.

If he wasn't advised by Raiola and actually showed some patience then he'd have been given a run in the first team in 2012/13 I reckon. Understandable that he'd be pissed off at the Blackburn game though in all fairness.

Anyway, back to Rashford, his rise reminds me of Michael Owen (albeit Owen really was THAT special at the same age) but we'll see next season just what happens. Second season syndrome and a new manager not known for giving youth a chance mean the odds are stacked against him continuing his remarkable form. Let's hope he gets a run out at the Euros and does something special so he's guaranteed a chance next year.

Javi

Let's see next season what happens when opposition defenders will have more material to study him and act accordingly.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Have to admit I was more excited about Januzaj. The technical quality he showed when he broke was a joy to watch.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Most excited I have ever been about a youth player was Rossi. He was ridiculous in the reserves. Still think he could have made it here if played in the first team
This. Rossi was electric in youth/reserves teams. When he scored on his debut and Ruud lost it...oh good times.

Such a pity about his injuries.

togg

personally I think that even if Pogba had become a regular in the side he still would have left pretty soon after. His mafioso agent wouldn't have wanted him to stay long - not at his age.

Jev

januzaj didn't really do much that season.. people just got excited because the team was so bad. rashford out did januzaj whole united career in 2 games.
Sounds pretty much like this season. The last sentence is plain wrong in my opinion and easy to say in hindsight. Januzaj was hugely impressive all things considered.

Prodigal7

For me, Morrison, Rossi, Pogba, Giggs and Gribbin (in that order) are all bigger "talents", but time has shown (with albeit contrasting reasons for Morrison and Rossi) that natural footballing talent doesn't mean a huge amount in the long term. Rashford might have the right blend of skills and characteristics to go as far as Giggs and Pogba went/are heading.
I'm really looking forward to seeing Gribbin develop, hoping that he shows the same temperament and good work ethic that Rashford seems to have.

Reactions: Dr. Dwayne

Moonred

Wilson's gliding runs got me excited quite a bit. Not gonna repeat the same about Pogba, Adnan etc. as they obviously did. As for Rashford, think he will be top goalscorer but I would wait and give the kid time.

Dante

Average bang
Rashford's made the biggest, most immediate impact since Giggs.

Januzaj was exciting because of his potential, but his end product was (understandably) not great. The likes of Beckham and Scholes gradually grew into their roles. Pogba and Morrison never did anything in the first XI to warrant excitement.

Rashford went from u18 to key player in record time. I have doubts over his staying power, but that's for another thread.

mu4c_20le

Pogba was obviously talented but wasn't as exciting as Ravel or Adnan back then, no matter how hard some people want to revise history with the benefit of hindsight.

Prodigal7

Pogba was obviously talented but wasn't as exciting as Ravel or Adnan back then, no matter how hard some people want to revise history with the benefit of hindsight.
Exciting is subjective is it not? Ravel and Januzaj played in more attacking midfield/forward positions rather than as a deeper lying central midfielder. Pogba for me was at least as good a prospect for the first team as either of them, though his skills were a little different. Have to admit I did find Morrison the most exciting to watch when he played for the youth teams, he should have been our Iniesta/Zidane. Ridiculously gifted with the ball at his feet.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The trouble is that people get excited about potential when they should get excited the realisation of potential. People were swooning about Januzaj two years ago as if he was the 2nd coming of Ronaldo and now it looks like he may not make it here. We don't even need to talk about Morrison. Therefore maybe its wise to set moderate expectations on Rashford and watch in awe as he eclipses them.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
The trouble is that people get excited about potential when they should get excited the realisation of potential. People were swooning about Januzaj two years ago as if he was the 2nd coming of Ronaldo and now it looks like he may not make it here. We don't even need to talk about Morrison. Therefore maybe its wise to set moderate expectations on Rashford and watch in awe as he eclipses them.
Precisely this.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I haven't been this excited about a youth product since the class of 92 burst on to the scene. There were others who peaked my interest along the way, such as the ones already mentioned throughout the thread, but there is that extra something about Rashford. Dunno what it is, I can't quite put my finger on it, but his explosive turn of pace, highly competent technique, utterly fearless nature and his eye for goal probably have something to do with it. He has the potential to be the best striker to come through our youth system since, well, forever. United have produced tonnes of great players over the years, from keepers, defenders, midfielders and even wingers, but I cannot remember the last time we produced a world class striker.

Maybe Rashford is the one.

Tiber

I thought Pogba was the second coming of Patrick Vieira. I was plenty excited.

3KDré

The thing about youth is they will succeed if they are confident and hard working. Ravel was not focussed on his football and did not succeed. Pogba is succeeding because he had the determination to force a move. He has an arrogance around his play, because he believes in himself.
Rashford also seems to have great confidence. The way he isn't afraid to try flicks, skills or run at any defender is promising. He doesn't seem fazed by much at all. Look at his England goal, he struck it with ease and confidence- a youth player not full of confidence wouldn't have even tried that, they'd have taken a touch and then mess it up. Look at the way he squared up to Demichelis. He has the confidence, he works hard every game, he seems to have the determination to succeed. That's what has differentiated him from Januzaj and Ravel. I think he will succeed, but I am not sure to what level he will raise himself to.

Tiber

What actually happened to Ravel? Has he been any good in Italy?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Yes and no but then again it's all opinion. He's come in and done brilliant. No, that's an understatement. We can say that he's done better and looked better at full level then at under 21's. What's impressive is not only has he come in and done well from the get go - but also the fact that it's been such a fragmented team. One game looking good offensively, the next pathetic. To me he's our most exciting because he's not committed the sin of playing or being different to what he was in the youth side.

Kiko never really had it. Rossi was far better technically but injuries ruined him. Morrison was a lovely player but a complete numpty. Pogba was great and I know many weren't impressed by him but when you remove the hype and that prat of an agent - he's got a lot of quality. We've had quite a few. It's shocking. I mean When CBJ came into the team - a lad that was playing under 18's football not too long ago, he provided us with something fully grown men couldn't and initially when he came in, him and Verela made a difference. We looked 'lighter' and so that was impressive too. That kids could come in and we're seeing better football. We're seeing players putting good balls in the box.

I think we've got GREAT potential. Many people want to sell Keane. I don't because just before the injury - he was looking himself again. One of the reasons i'm happy with Zlatan as it gives these lads a chance. Not just rashford - Pereira, Wilson, Keane. We could list many - I think the spirit of the group we have is great. We can say Rashford right now! Why not? But I wouldn't write off anyone of our young players. You never know when they are about to explode. It's pissed me off down the years how we focus on other clubs kids. United don't just have technical ability - when they work hard- they have a lot of heart. It's very rare to watch a United youth game, feeling let down.

I think others have similar potential - but Morrison, Rossi, Pogba were as exciting. I also want to end by saying some lads never get mentioned but they deserve to be. Exciting times.

spacetoonlover

isn't the OP an indication of the "myth" of the Manchester united youth system? People kept talking about our pride for bringing in the youth into the first team.. and called "the united way".. but looking back since 2005 and till now and what talents have we produced?
1 world class player who we let go for free.. that's if you consider Pogba "our" product.
2 or 3 "good players" who can play for us but not a world-beaters.. Smalling, welbeck and maybe Januzaj
and then some player in the "lingard/Fabio/Rafael" level..
That's all!!
so in almost 12 years we arguably produced 2 or 3 good players at max!!
can this called "United way"? player every 3 or 4 years?? and not even world class?!
why don't you just accept that 1992 was the exception and not happen again? and we are liek any other club in the world buying players whenever we need..

so to answer the OP, yes i believe Rashford has the most flaring start since giggs maybe..

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I still have no idea how he's had the success he's had, for those unaware he never even played for the youth like Pogba or Januzaj etc, he was still in the u-18's, the bracket below, and when I watched him, he looked talented but not so much that you thought him a superstar in the making.
He's done incredible, but I would still be wary entering next season if he can keep this type of form/productivity up.

Januzaj, Morrison and Pogba were the three most talented I've seen, I still think Januzaj can make something of himself if he gets his head down and gets games.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I still have no idea how he's had the success he's had, for those unaware he never even played for the youth like Pogba or Januzaj etc, he was still in the u-18's, the bracket below, and when I watched him, he looked talented but not so much that you thought him a superstar in the making.
He's done incredible, but I would still be wary entering next season if he can keep this type of form/productivity up.

Januzaj, Morrison and Pogba were the three most talented I've seen, I still think Januzaj can make something of himself if he gets his head down and gets games.
I didn't know a great deal about Rashford prior to his emergence this year, I have to admit, but that speaks volumes about his potential in itself wouldn't you agree? To progress from your average run-of-the-mill youth team player to England International inside a year is nothing short of exceptional. Where he goes from here is entirely down to him, but I genuinely believe he has what it takes to succeed at United.