Rashford, our most exciting youth product since Ryan Giggs?

eggwithsideburns

I cant think of anyone else as exciting since Giggs. I love watching him play and its about time we produce a world class player again, I know its potential at the moment but he definitely has something special.

Jaybomb

He definitely wasn't rubbish, his link up play was excellent at times, and he had some really good games for us -- often against big sides (like Madrid).
He was rubbish and still is. Couldn't stand how he could get away with scoring 1 goal in an entire season and everyone would say "But his link up play was excellent!" - Load of bollocks. Just cause he was a local player, fans became delusional and attached to him for some reason.

Hernandez was miles better than him. And the stats prove it. We won the league and reached the UCL final with Chicha starting regularly in 10/11. "Replacing" him with Welbeck in 11/12 has got to be up there with one of Fergie's worst decisions for me.

At least Rashford is actually good.

khoazany

I meant the underage squads. If he was able to skip the reserve team then surely he must have been standing out for the underage teams.
Rashford was quite hot and cold for the U18s but to be fair to him he's learning the striker role at that time.Was always regarded as one of the best talents in the academy and that reflected on his first pro deal which has higher salary than most of the Reserves (even though he was still U18s) and a new house for his mum.Started for us in the FA Youth Cup as a schoolboy as well.

Was always going to be given a chance in the first team regardless of the manager if he progresses as expected but of course nobody expected it to come so soon especially since he still played most of his games for the U18s at that times and only made cameos from the bench for the U21s.

At those underage levels it's easy to see who're our "best talents" but it's impossible to predict whose career will turn out to be better among those "best talents".Wilson was more impressive for the U18s and U21s for example.There are some who rated Demetri Mitchell higher than Rashford (tbf Mitchell is a good talent but injuries put a dent on his development).

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I cant think of anyone else as exciting since Giggs. I love watching him play and its about time we produce a world class player again, I know its potential at the moment but he definitely has something special.
If it's up to me, I'd start him in every game. You can't help but just expect something exciting happened by him.

Hopefully he has better luck with injuries than Giggs.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
this is the Rashford thread but watch some of his highlights. As an 18 year old he was pulling off stuff half of our squad probably still can't do.
Like what? I've seen many yougsters over the last 20 years i swear i called most of them right. IMHO Obertan made a better first impression than Januzaj. I wish him well, hope Im wrong but i don't think he will cut it.

Re Rashford- IMHO he has a better chance. Looks a better prospect.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Like what? I've seen many yougsters over the last 20 years i swear i called most of them right. IMHO Obertan made a better first impression than Januzaj. I wish him well, hope Im wrong but i don't think he will cut it.

Re Rashford- IMHO he has a better chance. Looks a better prospect.
Come on man.. how can you even say that? The buzz generated by Adnan can't even be compared to what Obertan had.

Jironasaurus

I was more excited back then by Ben Thornley, as compared to now with Rashford. But then again, that's probably the result of seeing so many youth products come and go over the years without making an impact. Macheda scored on his debut, only to fade after that. I am just hoping Rashford doesn't go down that same path.

HumblePieEyed

I agree but isn't he a converted winger? If he was a geneuine ruthless finisher, why did he ever play on the wing? But then again so did C Ronaldo.
I still think its too early to judge his finishing. He has only scored 10 goals.

But I think he is very over rated. He loses the ball far too much and although his dribbling is good, its more down to speed and luck rather than actual ball control.
Speed and luck.
2 absolutely vital components that cannot be learned.
The other things can come with time.
Hopefully Mourinho will give him that time!

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
I'm with you on this. Putting Rashford in the same class as Giggs is silly. He might get there but he's not close to the young Giggs

Nucks

RT History Department
I think if Rashford can improve his second touch when he is dribbling to beat a man, he is going to be world-class.

He's already lightning quick. He has goal scoring instincts, something that cannot be taught, and his first movement with the ball is tidy and explosive. Right now what lets him down is that second or third touch which tends to be very heavy, and he shows too much ball.

If he improves that, and he is only 18 so there is no reason to think he can't, he's going to be a phenom.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Our quickest player surely and is a very good dribbler. Good off the ball too but has to work a lot on his finishing/composure in order to develop into a top player. Might very well become a new Welbeck but let's see

Moby

Dick
His pace alone is frightening, which should be great under Mourinho. Our defense is excellent and we shouldn't worry inviting teams in our half and then bursting forward with the likes of Rashford and Mkhi. Whenever there's any space behind a defender he's an absolutely different beast and combined with his ability and dribbling he's almost always away in a second. He struggles a bit against a crowded defense who are defending in numbers, so we should utilise him as a proper counter attacking player, in which role I think he can be one of the best in the world.

rpg

I thought Pogba is our most exciting youth product since Giggs? Rashford is above average last game and the best player on the pitch. But I still dont like striker who misses 1 v 1 with keeper. But I think he should be given plenty of opportunities next season to see how he develop.

prtk0811

Let's not forget how we were raving about Januzaj two years ago. I'm excited by Rashford but it hasn't yet gotten to the point where I feel absolutely convinced he'll go on to become a star, or even a regular, for us, like I am with Martial for instance.
Mentality is the difference between januzaj and rashford.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Still a long way to go imo. He's doing some mistakes that are hard to understand, even for a young player. But his attitude is great, let's see where it will lead him

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I would like to say yes, but to me I just want him to develop in a good environment. Giggsy didn't had the burden of carrying the team until his mid 20s.

Rashford has already a lot of expectations around him so I don't want him to be burned in 6 months.

As for exciting talent, I'd say that Morrison was when he came, Januzaj also was, but definitely he's in the top 3 and is beginning to prove me wrong

Ainu

Still a long way to go imo. He's doing some mistakes that are hard to understand, even for a young player. But his attitude is great, let's see where it will lead him
I'm curious, what sort of mistakes are hard to understand for a young player?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He doesn't have a 100% conversion ratio. That's unacceptable and clearly can't be learned in future.

Web of Bissaka

Yes, ever since the class of 92, Marcus Rashford is the most exciting for me.

Two seasons now Rashford showing glimpse of capabilities in carrying the team as striker, plus his improvements and hence potential is scary. He have a good mentality too and shows fire in his play. Overall, very impressive and highly promising. Pogba too technically, but his education is more at Juventus, not here. After them, I suppose Andreas Pereira.

No offences, but I find the others to be exciting just temporarily; Macheda just for a few matches then he seems to be out of depth fading into non-existence, Januzaj just that one thrilling season after which then he suddenly becomes.. poor, Welbeck for a lot of matches then gradually his limitations becoming obvious.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
His ball control and touch is erratic, where he just runs into players or blind alleys. Part of it has to do with football intelligence and that part is harder to learn

prtk0811

His ball control and touch is erratic, where he just runs into players or blind alleys. Part of it has to do with football intelligence and that part is harder to learn
Is our grass root coaching not good enough because i remember welbeck had the same problem.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Is our grass root coaching not good enough because i remember welbeck had the same problem.
I dont know where the problem is but right now, these 2 points are my biggest concerns about Rashford. Let's wait and see, most important thing is that he gets Jose's support

lewwoo

His obvious skill aside he comes across as really grounded in interviews and devoid of any ego. Just a quiet, humble lad who loves playing football. I hope that continues as he matures.

Ainu

I do not think his control is more erratic or inconsistent than some of our more experienced players. I can't say I'm too concerned about it. That other part strikes me as a result of him being played out of position on the wing, where he's not at his best and sometimes out of ideas. He doesn't show that when playing in the middle.

Either way these things aren't hard to understand for a young player at all, and I'd still argue he gives evidence of being mature beyond his years on the pitch more often than he shows his inexperience. People expect too much from young players. Whether he'll turn into a star in the long run is anyone's guess but right now we can't be anything less than very happy with his development so far.

Mani

His intelligence is improving with every game,if you would have noticed his last night goal where he could have took a shot with his right foot instead he decided to cut there and took it with his left where he managed to divert two defender in process.I never remembered similar type of goal or action from him before.

Web of Bissaka

His obvious skill aside he comes across as really grounded in interviews and devoid of any ego. Just a quiet, humble lad who loves playing football. I hope that continues as he matures.
This. It makes Rashford even more exciting.

Finally, there is this kid who have all the attributes and can easily become the star - "The kid can play", and yet he's not that cocky and seems grounded, staying away from the celebrity limelight. This makes his growth and development now even more interesting. Hope he stays that way.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He is the first player to come through your youth ranks in many years that I think has the potential to go right to the very top of the game, not sure if I'd say he is on the same level as Giggs though but he could be a very big player for Utd in the future. Still a long way to go though.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Rushford has the making of a top class striker. I am very happy that we have a youth product that finally has everything to reach the very top. Hope of see a few more youth players adopting his mindset and attitude.

prtk0811

While at the opposite side of manchester , iilenacho is struggling to get game time :D

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is just honeymoon period for Jose, that's why Rashford is getting chances. At least that's what Chelsea fans said. Next season he will be loaned out.

PeteManic

From next season just give him No.10 and play him in every game. Through the middle.

Murray3007

Would say judging just on u18's/reserves Ravel Morrison was the most excited young player i have seen, always thought Rossi would be excellent for us as he was that good at those levels, sadly never worked out for those 2, but Rashford looks the real deal in the 1st team and is a very exciting prospect.