Rashford probably needs to leave - Jamie Redknapp

MrBest

So you say Ronaldo was super inconsistent till 21 and urge patience then say you don’t see what the coaching staff are doing with Rash now. So which is it? Were the coaching staff also mismanaging Ronaldo & Kane at samenz age as well?

Not trying to be pedantic, just want to understand where you are coming from or what you are trying to say.
So you basically twisted everything I said. Yes I said Ronaldo was inconsistent. Yes I suggested that coaching could be one of the reasons for why he is inconsistent but also mentioned he may have an attitude issue. The point you chose to disregard is I said rashford makes the same mistakes over and over. Ronaldo made mistakes but made obvious changes to his game, something Fergie also called out they were working on with him. The rest is history.

My point was very simple, rashford has all the talent in the world, it is fine to be inconsistent but he is turning into a one trick pony. Let that be the fault of the coaches or himself, who knows what goes on behind doors. One thing i didn't mentioned which a fellow poster pointed out was he was played up front at the start of his career where he brought home the goals. Perhaps shifting him to the wing has made him uncomfortable because some of his decision making has been horrendous at times.

Andersons Dietician

He's broadly right but what was Kane doing when he was 20?
Out on loan was he not, Norwich followed by Leicester. Think season after is when he started to start for Spurs and everyone was like who is this guy.
Edit- I was wrong that was the previous season, turns out he was at Spurs.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

No, at 20 (2013-14 season) he played 622 mins for Spurs in PL + Europa.
You’re right was just checking his birthday is July, my bad.

Still think it’s funny that Carragher has felt like he needs to come out and clarify what he meant when it was obvious what he was getting at the first time he said it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Still think it’s funny that Carragher has felt like he needs to come out and clarify what he meant when it was obvious what he was getting at the first time he said it.
I think they need to shut up about the position. It's not their problem or issue, if Jose think Rashford is better suited as winger then it's fine and good enough, after all he is the one who is in charge. There are so many players who have changed their position in their careers and went on to have better careers.

Micky Targaryen

From an LVG obsessive who is proud to admit that they hate Jose. Even if you don't believe in using the ignore feature, this one is a must.

Yes it is bizarre.
Exactly. It's known that the poster openly hates Jose so it's not even worth a response. What's even more bizarre is that he's obsessed over LVG's dull as feck possession football.

Nikelesh Reddy

He won’t displace Lukaku as the 9...If Alexis keeps playing well he won’t get a game on the left....He can’t play on the right...So he will have to be extremely patient over the next few seasons if he wants to make it at United.

Ultimately like Rio said yesterday,he won’t be happy with just getting minutes by playing 20 odd minutes every week...He needs to prepare himself mentally to be very patient if he wants to make it at United...

Fredo

You broke my heart!
It would be great if we can do with Rashford what we did with Cristiano, started as a winger then was transformed to a striker and we all know the result. Not saying that Rashford will be as good as Ronnie, but it would be probably the best chance to maximize his potential.

Acole9

Outstanding
This has got to be the most monotonous story/topic going.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No, at 20 (2013-14 season) he played 622 mins for Spurs in PL + Europa.
Cheers.

Yeah. I found that funny too but I sort of enjoyed it because it continues the discussion.

On Rashford and the CF role however, I don't think his all round play with his back to goal is good enough just yet. It's not as good as Lukaku often is, anyway. The decision to play Lukaku ahead of him is a no brainer.

Andersons Dietician

Cheers.

Yeah. I found that funny too but I sort of enjoyed it because it continues the discussion.

On Rashford and the CF role however, I don't think his all round play with his back to goal is good enough just yet. It's not as good as Lukaku often is, anyway. The decision to play Lukaku ahead of him is a no brainer.
Very true, hence why some people think he needs to leave as that will probably never be the way he plays. I don’t want him gone but I do think a loan deal somewhere where he could play as a Striker would really benefit him and us in the long run. We just don’t really have the bodies or players to fill his current role in the team or have the depth to cover it.

He just seems to have lost some of those natural instincts from when he first broke through and needs to find them again and hopefully playing a majority of his games as a striker he finds it.

UncleBob

It would be great if we can do with Rashford what we did with Cristiano, started as a winger then was transformed to a striker and we all know the result. Not saying that Rashford will be as good as Ronnie, but it would be probably the best chance to maximize his potential.
His transformation into more of a striker was at Real Madrid.

Hoof the ball

It's a poor argument from Carragher. Rashford wants to play as a striker, therefore, he has to play as CF in order to become a more productive player? He cites Mbappe as an example of a young player getting lots of minutes, yet, makes no mention that Mbappe is not playing as CF, but, on the side (like Rashford), and is making his contributions in terms of production. Playing wide forward is not a detriment. Playing centrally won't guarantee anything for Rashford.

UncleBob

It's a poor argument from Carragher. Rashford wants to play as a striker, therefore, he has to play as CF in order to become a more productive player? He cites Mbappe as an example of a young player getting lots of minutes, yet, makes no mention that Mbappe is not playing as CF, but, on the side (like Rashford), and is making his contributions in terms of production. Playing wide forward is not a detriment. Playing centrally won't guarantee anything for Rashford.
I'd say the main problem is that you've decided beforehand, without reading it and considering it, that Carraghers opinion is wrong, and you're arguing against something he's not really saying.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
If he leaves it will be because he wasn't good enough. Its far to early to conclude with anything of the sorts. People pissed their pants when he arrived at the scene, a new possible United hero was born, a young Manchester lad. It was a sign that United will keep on being United and since he was likeable they ignored that fear for the greater good of the English national team. Why else would anyone suggests "Rashford needs to leave to be great". Its the only explanation for this madness. Fear and bitterness

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Rashford is a CF because he played 15 games there under LVG and did alright and said he wants to be a CF? What the hell is that all about?

Absolutely nothing suggests that Rashford is destined to be a world class CF. He is not some Micheal Owen, Wayne Rooney, Kyllian Mbappe level of talent that is the finished product at 21 years old. The vast majority of top players chop and change positions to develop facets of their game.

Rashford is backup striker when Lukaku gets injured or is rested, backup LW when the same happens with Sanchez and a regular substitute off the bench.

If Rashford fancies himself as the big bad then get a loan move to another PL club. However, I doubt he is so arrogant, he is a talented, humble, hard worker. He has already won 3 trophies at United, and I think its safe to say that he wants to win the league and CL with Untied.

cyberman

Rashford is a CF because he played 15 games there under LVG and did alright and said he wants to be a CF? What the hell is that all about?

Absolutely nothing suggests that Rashford is destined to be a world class CF. He is not some Micheal Owen, Wayne Rooney, Kyllian Mbappe level of talent that is the finished product at 21 years old. The vast majority of top players chop and change positions to develop facets of their game.

Rashford is backup striker when Lukaku gets injured or is rested, backup LW when the same happens with Sanchez and a regular substitute off the bench.

If Rashford fancies himself as the big bad then get a loan move to another PL club. However, I doubt he is so arrogant, he is a talented, humble, hard worker. He has already won 3 trophies at United, and I think its safe to say that he wants to win the league and CL with Untied.
Thats a good point. Wasn't he played out wide for the underage sides as well?

68Guns

Rashers reminds me of a dig let off its lead in the park, all running but no end effort. Impact sub at best, a 20 minute player when we are up against it and panicking for a goal.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Thats a good point. Wasn't he played out wide for the underage sides as well?
He played as a support to the striker. Sometimes behind the striker and sometimes out wide. I can't remember one youth game where he played as a striker.

Stephen Howson who watches a lot more youth games than me said on youtube that his main position was a no.10.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I don't even think Rashford knows what he wants or is clear about what he expects from himself and where that will take him. I don't think its super important that he get games constantly in his favoured position, but it should be pretty beneficial for him if he finds out what he want to do.

He suddenly got tested as a striker right, and did well so i guess in that period he wanted to be that, then he did good on the wing for a period and probably figured he wanted to become like Ronaldo. But nowadays its not clear what he wants, he is largely more predictable and i don't think thats just to do with other teams defenders knowing him better now, even though that it may play some part in it. Too often he looks hesitant when taking on people and does that kick and run thing which is a copout tbf in regards to his talent. He can do more than that.

sosolid4u09

Here's the problem;

Rashford is getting plenty of minutes. Yet in the last two years has shown next to no signs of developing any consistency whatsoever. He isn't a talent like Ronaldo where you don't mind him taking a while to get there. He's had plenty of chances. The first half of last year Martial was by far the more consistent of the two. So Mourinho rightly prioritised him. As soon as Alexis joined in Jan, Martial fell off a cliff but that's another story.

As for those saying he's not starting up front, well starting out wide doesn't excuse his shocking decision making, which is his biggest problem.

if Rashford is good enough, he will come through, he is getting enough games for that. If he doesn't break through, it's only because he wasn't good enough, nothing to do with Mourinho

sosolid4u09

If Rashford wasn't english, the media wouldn't be bothering with him at all. We wouldn't hear any cries of him being potentially world class or that Mou is wasting him.
Case in point, Martial. More potential and is far more proven that Rashford, yet nobody in the media cares.

The lesson is, don't be swayed by the media

sosolid4u09

Would disagree with that.

...And would strongly disagree with that.
I've not seen anywhere near the outrage about Martial like there has been for Rashford.

Also Rashford really just has pace and a decent shot.
Martial has pace but is far more composed, is a good finisher and can beat a man far easier than Rashford. He's also more skilful

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I've not seen anywhere near the outrage about Martial like there has been for Rashford.

Also Rashford really just has pace and a decent shot.
Martial has pace but is far more composed, is a good finisher and can beat a man far easier than Rashford. He's also more skilful
You've not seen outrage about Martial? This place blew up about him not long ago, before most cottoned on that it's him who's the problem.

Also you missed a key attribute for Rashford - attitude.

sosolid4u09

You've not seen outrage about Martial? This place blew up about him not long ago, before most cottoned on that it's him who's the problem.

Also you missed a key attribute for Rashford - attitude.
I clearly said the Media hasn't made a big deal about it. Of course I didn't mean Utd fans.

Attitude only takes you so far. His lack of football brain and horrific decision making will forever hold him back

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The silliest thing about this is the nerve to bring up Rashford's playing time for United as an issue in regards to the England team. As if somehow England are making the most out of him and United aren't.

He's played in multiple cup finals for United. Europa League, FA Cup. He's played in every competition in the most important games. He's started and scored winning goals against Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Liverpool. United under two managers have shown faith in him despite having plenty of more experienced options.

When did England start him in the world cup again? In the two completely meaningless games. The rest of the time he was left on the bench in favour of someone who was playing poorly and hasn't scored for England in about 3 years. Presumably for no other reason than because they are more experienced than him.

finneh

I clearly said the Media hasn't made a big deal about it. Of course I didn't mean Utd fans.

Attitude only takes you so far. His lack of football brain and horrific decision making will forever hold him back
On the contrary... Attitude and mentality is exactly what sets apart the good from the great. The attitude and hard work required to learn, grow and evolve; rather than to rely on natural talent which only takes you so far.

A football brain is refined by experience, training and effort. Poor decision making is ironed out likewise. Both have the natural talent and tools to be great... I would bet out of both Rashford is the one you realise it.

Great players can have less talent than good players (Roy Keane vs Morrison). Great players never have a poor mentality in leading up to the realisation of that talent.

Kaizane

Problem with Rashford is he can't play the lone Striker role, he doesn't have the physical attributes and to some degree, the ability; he'd be brilliant in a two up top formation, but those formations are a thing of the past.

Had he played in an era when two strikers was the norm, he'd have excelled, just like Cole and Yorkie did playing off each other and scoring for fun. Now that the game has changed - a good striker has to be strong, quick, good header of the ball, able to hold the ball up, play within half an inch of the last defender to beat offside and most importantly clinical. Rashford can do many things well but is only one of those aforementioned qualities. Lukaku is most of those, hence why he's our CF and Rashford isn't.

Anyway, I'm just stating the obvious but unless he's playing with someone in the hole behind him, he'll never play CF so he might as well work hard at making the LW his own because he'll never have a team built around him. Martial also fits the category of failed lone forward but would be brilliant in a striking partnership. It's unfortunate, but it's just the way the modern game is.

A season long loan where he'll start every game in the PL would be his best option right now. It did wonders for Lingard and Kane, as someone pointed out above. Martial and Sanchez may have moved on by next year or the year after and it may open up for him. To sell him? I'd be devastated.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's a good player & I'd be happier if we kept him around due to him being a local lad. Can't see him ever being world class though, which is what you need to be if you want to be a long term starter for United. Persist with him, start him for the next 2 seasons. If he doesn't develop into world class, and still demands a starting place, let him go & upgrade.

Really needs work on his pitch awareness, he doesn't seem to have any idea how long/wide the pitch is, constantly runs the ball out of play. Needs serious work on his selfishness too. I still cannot believe Brighton away last season, all the time in the world to slip the ball to Martial for an open goal, shoots at the keeper from a tight angle...

Rusholme Ruffian

The silliest thing about this is the nerve to bring up Rashford's playing time for United as an issue in regards to the England team. As if somehow England are making the most out of him and United aren't.

He's played in multiple cup finals for United. Europa League, FA Cup. He's played in every competition in the most important games. He's started and scored winning goals against Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Liverpool. United under two managers have shown faith in him despite having plenty of more experienced options.

When did England start him in the world cup again? In the two completely meaningless games. The rest of the time he was left on the bench in favour of someone who was playing poorly and hasn't scored for England in about 3 years. Presumably for no other reason than because they are more experienced than him.
bang on the nail

Josep Dowling

It was mentioned again on Talksport yesterday. With Alan Brazil saying Mourinho doesn't like him.

Why do they never mention any of Chelsea's English players and their lack of playing time? Loftus-Cheek surely needs to move. As does Barkley and Drinkwater.

What about Foden at City?

No just keep talking about a player who is having significant minutes for his age.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Aside from one mazy run, he was absolute shite last night. Just looks like he can't be arsed all the time, like he's too good to even share the pitch with the other 21 players. He went to PSG to be the main man, with Mbappe being a Parisian, leading France to a World Cup & having an arguably even higher potential ceiling than Neymar, he won't be the main man there for much longer. I wouldn't be surprised if he fecked off soon. Madrid have a "superstar" spot open right now, can see him going there.

EDIT - Ooops. Erm.. Rashford, yeah.. Not quite as good as Neymar is he... Ah well. At least he looks like he gives a shit..

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't know if some in the media are on a wind up or genuinely very thick.

Snash93

Supports
Liverpool
To be fair, Rashford has his whole career ahead of him. As long as he's playing, he'll always be considered for England. If he's still in the same situation in a few years time and with a new manager, then he should look to leave and see if her can be the main number 9 elsewhere.

sosolid4u09

Another stellar gane from rashford.

After three years and over 100 games, his decision making has got to improve. Hes showb absolutely no signs of development