Rashford probably needs to leave - Jamie Redknapp

flappyjay

Great, let's change formation, tactics, hindering the clubs balance or whatever they are trying to do these last few weeks just to try to fit Rashford to help him improve and be that main man for the club and England (where we know is impossible because guess-what he has Kain as the striker).

Why don't all the pundits tell Rashford to change his country to some other that can make him their only main striker rather than stay with England and hindering all his generational talents playing subs to Kain.

The player is 20 yrs old. We really can't provide every players all the playing times they desire then there would be no squad players as we know it. Lukaku is here to stay, he's ready to step into his peak in a year or two. Rashford is like most of the young players that are young, they become squad players in big club. They'll be that when they have chances to prove that they can make the step up and be that main man. To become that main man in a big club like United, really does need more that talents. You have to have perfect timing, confidences from the manager, players, fans, and the sheer confidence in yourself not to crumble upon pressure to score and win every game. He's not there yet as proving last season.

Just support the club as a whole rather than individual players.
It's not just rashford though. Sanchez, Lukaku, and Martial also play much better with another striker alongside them. I would go as far as saying that we don't really have a winger in our team just players who are capable in wing positions. Even Sanchez best season at Arsenal he was more central

Ram1fy

Apologies if posted somewhere else but quite an interesting article on F365 (spit) today:

https://www.football365.com/news/how-rashford-really-measures-up-to-ronaldo-and-kane
OMG. This is truly eye-opening if the whole thing is accurate. There is absolutely no rush to develop Rashford. He has plenty of time ahead of him. He needs to displaces Sanchez, Lukaku or Lingard if he wants to be a regular - simple as that. That is an absolutely fair challenge to give someone his age. Nothing else needs to be given on plate to anyone.

Rusholme Ruffian

OMG. This is truly eye-opening if the whole thing is accurate. There is absolutely no rush to develop Rashford. He has plenty of time ahead of him. He needs to displaces Sanchez, Lukaku or Lingard if he wants to be a regular - simple as that. That is an absolutely fair challenge to give someone his age. Nothing else needs to be given on plate to anyone.
Exactly my thoughts.

Coops73

Exactly, so the comments from the likes of Redknapp, Thompson and Carragher (there’s a common denominator here) are just a little embarrassing. Keep on keeping on I say and he’ll be right.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Might be an unpopular opinion on here, but I really don’t think he’s all that tbh. He’s a good player but I honestly struggle to see him becoming a really world class player.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Sounds like our current target man who is just on the verges of reaching his prime tbh.
This is an absurd claim. Lukaku's touch and finishing are probably questionable at clutch moments but his intelligence, passing and the ability to bring others into play around the box are amongst his great strengths.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I understand that most England fans would love to see Rashford play week in week out. However, if that means moving to a smaller club, would that really improve him? One of the major weaknesses of England's national team is that most of the players there have absolutely no idea what it means playing for a top club. The likes of Kane, Alli and Trippier has been as close to a major trophy as a common folk has been close to the moon. Its one thing playing week in week out for a team whose happy to do well in the EPL and its another fighting for the EPL title, with world class managers, mentality and coaching staff to match.

How many players has actually left United because of lack of opportunity, they moved to a smaller club and they became top top players? Welbeck, Rossi, Shawcross, Keane, Macheda and co had either stalled or regressed. So unless Rashford is wanted by lets say Barcelona, Bayern or Juventus then why the hell they want him to move? If he makes it then England would be able to rely on a top player with the talent and attitude to succeed at the top. If not, then do they really need another speed merchant with the talent of a mid tier EPL club level?

Mainoldo

He hasn’t developed under this coach, it’s that simple. I don’t care about minutes, trophies how he compares to man doing it big now. For his personal development he either needs to leave or hope we get a coach who’s good with the youth. Otherwise he’ll fizzle off into average.

Kostur

海尔的老板
He hasn’t developed under this coach, it’s that simple. I don’t care about minutes, trophies how he compares to man doing it big now. For his personal development he either needs to leave or hope we get a coach who’s good with the youth. Otherwise he’ll fizzle off into average.
And it's also pure bullshit.

Mainoldo

And it's also pure bullshit.
You blind? It’s only bullshit to those who just read the stats. The kid has improved not a thing about his game. Except for he runs about abit. Far different from the kid we seen break into the side who looked fearless and unpredictable.

Kostur

海尔的老板
You blind? It’s only bullshit to those who just read the stats. The kid has improved not a thing about his game. Except for he runs about abit. Far different from the kid we seen break into the side who looked fearless and unpredictable.
Could ask you the same, I don't base anything off stats, if you cannot see that he developed his game then I feel for you. Just because he's seemingly failing to deliver it doesn't mean he's developed. The last bolded part could do something with him not being unknown to the other teams' analysts and so on but what do I know.

Mainoldo

Could ask you the same, I don't base anything off stats, if you cannot see that he developed his game then I feel for you. Just because he's seemingly failing to deliver it doesn't mean he's developed. The last bolded part could do something with him not being unknown to the other teams' analysts and so on but what do I know.
Not much by the sounds of it. What exactly has he improved on?

edgar allan

I understand that most England fans would love to see Rashford play week in week out. However, if that means moving to a smaller club, would that really improve him? One of the major weaknesses of England's national team is that most of the players there have absolutely no idea what it means playing for a top club. The likes of Kane, Alli and Trippier has been as close to a major trophy as a common folk has been close to the moon. Its one thing playing week in week out for a team whose happy to do well in the EPL and its another fighting for the EPL title, with world class managers, mentality and coaching staff to match.

How many players has actually left United because of lack of opportunity, they moved to a smaller club and they became top top players? Welbeck, Rossi, Shawcross, Keane, Macheda and co had either stalled or regressed. ?
The players you name were never going to be top players anywhere so moving on made no difference.
We also haven't been anywhere close to competing for the title since Ferguson left, the whole of Rashford's career.
It is hard to know what way Rashford's career will turn out and whether he will develop into a real top player, however it is a concern that he is another player that seems to perform much better for his national team than under Jose.

devilish

The players you name were never going to be top players anywhere so moving on made no difference.
We also haven't been anywhere close to competing for the title since Ferguson left, the whole of Rashford's career.
It is hard to know what way Rashford's career will turn out and whether he will develop into a real top player, however it is a concern that he is another player that seems to perform much better for his national team than under Jose.
I doubt you were here when the club dared selling the great Danny Welbeck. Redcafe went all the stages of mourning in full apocalyptic mode. That's how rated Danny Welbeck was by most of the members in here.

My point is that there's a reason why the likes of Shawcross, Keane and Danny ended up at small clubs while the likes of Pique and Pogba went to Barcelona and Juventus. Top young talent go to top clubs irrespective if they make it at their original club or not. Rashford might not be a first teamer with us but he's playing regularly with us. He's better off at United then at Everton.

Mainoldo

I doubt you were here when the club dared selling the great Danny Welbeck. Redcafe went all the stages of mourning in full apocalyptic mode. That's how rated Danny Welbeck was by most of the members in here.

My point is that there's a reason why the likes of Shawcross, Keane and Danny ended up at small clubs while the likes of Pique and Pogba went to Barcelona and Juventus. Top young talent go to top clubs irrespective if they make it at their original club or not. Rashford might not be a first teamer with us but he's playing regularly with us. He's better off at United then at Everton.
Danny Welbeck got sold to Arsenal having picked them over Spurs. You assume his loan would be at Everton and Bournemouth. I’m pretty sure like Martial there would be a lot of heavy hitters. Whether we send him out to one of them is another question. He’s better off playing week in week out, we are not the same Manchester United that got rid of those players you listed, in hindsight we are exactly the level of club where he should be playing and developing but we are currently faking the big time Charlie look.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Not much by the sounds of it. What exactly has he improved on?
Apart from his physique, off ball movement, crosses when played from the wing, adding more dribbling and skills, taking free-kicks/set pieces and shooting from distance? Apart from that probably not much. Just because you cannot see a difference between player's development and actually delivering it doesn't mean that a player has not developed.

If I were you I'd honestly reconsider asking people whether they are blind or suggest they are clueless, pot, kettle, black and all that.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
He's improved on certain aspects like long-range shooting and general play perhaps but his finishing seems rubbish compared to what it was when he broke through. Strange. Wouldn't put it all down to him being unknown seeing it's the case of finding the corner (which he could do with his eyes closed) or shooting down the middle.

devilish

Danny Welbeck got sold to Arsenal having picked them over Spurs. You assume his loan would be at Everton and Bournemouth. I’m pretty sure like Martial there would be a lot of heavy hitters. Whether we send him out to one of them is another question. He’s better off playing week in week out, we are not the same Manchester United that got rid of those players you listed, in hindsight we are exactly the level of club where he should be playing and developing but we are currently faking the big time Charlie look.
Neither of the two were real title contenders at that point and unlike us now they were quite happy with that. That creates a certain environment that as long as you make it to top 4 then everything is going to be ok. A defeat isn't that tragic and a draw against lets say Shitty at home might be considered as a success. There's no real urgency to go beyond one's limits week in week out.

In my opinion, British talent has it too easy, which might explain why their performance seem to collapse the moment things start going wrong. I remember Wayne Rooney coming up the ranks and after few goals he was already the 'white Pele' and 'England's darling'. People like myself who asked for caution and not to bid for him prior to the Euro were laughed at, only for SAF to come out that he would have preferred to keep Rooney at Everton for another year rather then sign him with us at that point. Meanwhile as everyone was busy praising the white Pele, a certain thin Portuguese was busy learning that unless he doesn't stop dribbling himself to the corner flag then he won't be playing in the next game. I wonder who had the best career out of the two.

You see, sometimes players are better off challenged then being handled things on a silver platter. Sure, Rashford can get more games at Bournemouth. But will they develop him his belief that anything but a win is a failure? Will he understand that at top clubs you simply had to keep playing top level football all the time? No wonder why the best talent of class 92 happens to be the one who faced the most competition for his first team place (Cantona and Sheringham in his early days, Veron in his prime, Gerrard and Lampard with England)

haram

Utter rubbish - not a single person with a head would sell a decent player like him because he is simply struggling under Jose. Notice what's happening with Martial who actually wants to get out of here?

Jose had 2 players to manage with just a 10% bit of extra care at the start of his tenure - Rashford & Martial and both are suddenly trash :lol:

I'm sorry - I don't believe it's their fault until they struggle under a technical tactical manager :D

You can tell me all you want how Rashford & Martial would not be under any other clubs first team - the fact is and is actually backed by what other ex football critics are saying - that if any other manager was at United; Rashford would be better off. God under Klopp or Guardiola - there would almost be no reason to buy sterling or mane because Rashford has the ability to play those roles down to an absolute tee - considering he is 20 and will grow over time.

Anyway no need to believe you - I will continue to listen to the ex professional footballing players & agree with them thinking that Rashford is being so so so so poorly managed by Jose.

Played him to compete as a LW with Martial to primarily cross balls in to Lukaku - the better Andy Carroll :D
State of this fecking post. Even managed to get a dig in on Lukaku for no reason at all.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Utter rubbish - not a single person with a head would sell a decent player like him because he is simply struggling under Jose. Notice what's happening with Martial who actually wants to get out of here?

Jose had 2 players to manage with just a 10% bit of extra care at the start of his tenure - Rashford & Martial and both are suddenly trash :lol:

I'm sorry - I don't believe it's their fault until they struggle under a technical tactical manager :D

You can tell me all you want how Rashford & Martial would not be under any other clubs first team - the fact is and is actually backed by what other ex football critics are saying - that if any other manager was at United; Rashford would be better off. God under Klopp or Guardiola - there would almost be no reason to buy sterling or mane because Rashford has the ability to play those roles down to an absolute tee - considering he is 20 and will grow over time.

Anyway no need to believe you - I will continue to listen to the ex professional footballing players & agree with them thinking that Rashford is being so so so so poorly managed by Jose.

Played him to compete as a LW with Martial to primarily cross balls in to Lukaku - the better Andy Carroll :D
:lol:

Needham

How many players has actually left United because of lack of opportunity, they moved to a smaller club and they became top top players? Welbeck, Rossi, Shawcross, Keane, Macheda and co had either stalled or regressed. So unless Rashford is wanted by lets say Barcelona, Bayern or Juventus then why the hell they want him to move? If he makes it then England would be able to rely on a top player with the talent and attitude to succeed at the top. If not, then do they really need another speed merchant with the talent of a mid tier EPL club level?
Exactly. He'll surely get more game time not playing for Jose but Redknapp, Keown and a couple of others opinions with regard to MUFC you cannot treat without suspicion. They don't have the club's interests at heart obviously and want to see division and disruption withi the team.

Ashley R1+O

State of this fecking post. Even managed to get a dig in on Lukaku for no reason at all.
From an LVG obsessive who is proud to admit that they hate Jose. Even if you don't believe in using the ignore feature, this one is a must.

Just some perspective

Mourinho is right when some people have agendas, double salaries, etc.

And the idiots who lap it up just make things worse.
Yes it is bizarre.

chisnall_red

Supports
Citeh
Might be an unpopular opinion on here, but I really don’t think he’s all that tbh. He’s a good player but I honestly struggle to see him becoming a really world class player.
I agree. Cool head in front of goal (occasionally) but doesn’t bring much more and here’s better players out there even at his age earning lots less
Like, er, you know...

Silver

I don't know why any United supporter should even pay attention to this kind of tripe. The conversation from the media these days seems to be focused on finding things to pick apart about United. Every month there's a new issue about United that needs to be scrutinized. It's ridiculous. Where was this narrative when Walcott was underperforming at Arsenal? Or even now with Sturridge... once a heralded striker and now barely plays yet we don't see the Scouser pundits demanding a move away to be the best he can be. Everyone needs to have an opinion about United these days and it seems there'll be an endless number of topics they can find. They tried this same narrative with Luke Shaw as well but with Rashford it's even more intense especially since he's a United academy player and that really irks so many of them.

pacifictheme

He's improved on certain aspects like long-range shooting and general play perhaps but his finishing seems rubbish compared to what it was when he broke through. Strange. Wouldn't put it all down to him being unknown seeing it's the case of finding the corner (which he could do with his eyes closed) or shooting down the middle.
If you rewatch his early goals i bet a few surprise you. The city goal away wasn't a great finish, but it was enough. Could easily have been saved.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Redknapp always seems to end his analytical comments with "wasn't it, Gary?" or "what do you think, Graham?" He's clearly insecure about his consistently atrocious opinions.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Leon Osman on Football Focus finally highlighting actual stats that goes against the nonsense that Rashford isn't playing enough, and that Mourinho has managed him well. Will probably be ignored and the agenda will continue with the Sky hacks.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Rashford is a good player for his age.

I think people struggle for perspective because they've been watching him for a while already. Still has years of development ahead and the attitude to do it.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
If you rewatch his early goals i bet a few surprise you. The city goal away wasn't a great finish, but it was enough. Could easily have been saved.
There's delicate matter to finishing so either we claim he's been unlucky cause the GKs decided to stop letting the saveable shots in or, in fact, he's lost a bit of edge which sometimes happen when you play young strikers on the wings. Not a dig at Mourinho whatsoever but surely he's had different aspects to focus on in training since he was first tried as a winger. Fingers crossed his finishing is back and with the other areas of his game visibly improved, we're going to have a heck of a player.

EDIT: I did check his finish vs City and there's no comparison with the one against De Gea last time for starters. It's low and awkward to save. Not ideal as it's not exactly in the corner but it doesn't have to be.

Last edited:

An Irish Red

I really don't rate Rashford, as I'm sure will be obvious to anyone who has seen me post before, but the idea that he's being mismanaged by Mourinho is laughable.

He's got fifty appearances each in the last two seasons. No other club of our stature would have given him that. The complaints are nonsense.

crossy1686

career ending
Does Redknapp ever get tired of opening his mouth and being wrong about stuff? I get that he's there to give his opinions on matters but when someones insight is so off the mark it's laughable. It must run in the family

breakout67

Supports
Man City
20 year old has 87 appearances for Manchester United...needs to leave for the sake of his career.

Decomposing In Paris

The element of surprise plays a bigger role in finishing than it does in any other aspect of the game.

Give a team of professionals the tapes of every attempt made by a young striker over the course of a year and the striker will need to evolve to keep them guessing. The need to change things up can get into a young player's head and make him doubt his instincts... this is a period that young forwards need support... and some of the pressure taken off them. That's exactly what Marcus has been getting by getting plenty of minutes from the wing.

The idea that the coaching has made him a lesser finisher isn't looking at the bigger picture.