Rashford | takes on the government over free meals for kids - and wins

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Inappropriate joke
Perhaps he can concentrate a bit more on his football seeing as he’s struggled this season. Stay out of the politics.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Well done lad. The amount of families hes helped by being sensible and brave to speak out when he doesnt have to.
The only shame is a 22 year old has more sense than the old fogies in charge.

Rolaholic

The lad is on his way to knighthood at this rate!

Been incredibly impressed by all his work and efforts during the quarantine period, truly has been inspirational coming from a young lad in his position

Last edited:

Deery

Dreary
It’ll be some craic when he scores the winner against Spurs on Friday, what a guy!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Top guy. And no offence, and I may be judging him incorrectly, but he doesn't seem like the most intelligent guy around so if someone like him can realise this and try to do something it would be nice to see more players doing so, publically. They have a lot of power, even just to breakdown stigma, and would be nice to see them use it.

Anyway, if you haven't, RT his Tweet about this to your MP.
If I speak @Rozay

mav_9me

Anyway me in USA can support Rashford? Does he sell anything with his brand? Does he have somewhere one could donate?

Suv666

Wow, he actually pulled it off. Absolute legend. Daily Mail and The Sun are going to be fuming. I can already see the headlines whenever he has a bad game.

theklr

He can literally never play for United again and still be one of the greatest. What a man.

Sara125

To all the plonkers who have ever argued that footballers (and sportspeople, for that matter) should “stick to sports”, please refer to this: Marcus Rashford is (probably) about to impact upon national government policy. A policy u-turn that will positively benefit thousands of children. At the very least he - as well as those who have supported his mission - has ensured that the conversation is taking place on every news channel in the country. That’s power. That’s why these lads must be encouraged to use their platform for something more than football. What a brilliant lad.
Good post. We saw how footballers were hounded to donate to the NHS at the peak of the pandemic and now that a footballer is using his platform to address a social issue you get the odd few debby downers accusing him of being performative or saying that he should ‘focus on football’.

Fluctuation0161

Perhaps he can concentrate a bit more on his football seeing as he’s struggled this season. Stay out of the politics.
Perhaps you can pipe down considering the season has been on hold during a global pandemic which has also caused kids to go hungry.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Player uses platform to do social good. World wins.

What a lad. What he's done should transcend football, at least for a few weeks. With so little good news these days, just give us this one.

SuperiorXI

To all the plonkers who have ever argued that footballers (and sportspeople, for that matter) should “stick to sports”, please refer to this: Marcus Rashford is (probably) about to impact upon national government policy. A policy u-turn that will positively benefit thousands of children. At the very least he - as well as those who have supported his mission - has ensured that the conversation is taking place on every news channel in the country. That’s power. That’s why these lads must be encouraged to use their platform for something more than football. What a brilliant lad.
The idea that anyone should 'stay out of politics' is ludicrous in a democratic society where everyone is able to vote.

Fluctuation0161

Fair play to the lad he did it - great stuff.
Absolutely. Put himself out there for a worthy cause he obviously believes in.

The sad thing is, the government only listened because they couldn't claim Rashford was looking out for his own self interest. They don't listen to poorer voices!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Brilliant! He's dead right of course. I didn't need free school meals myself but did have a significant part of my childhood impacted by needing government help to pay for food and bills. I knew a lot of other kids who did get end up getting school meals and many went on to be upstanding, positive members of society - good jobs, etc. This whole initiative is brilliant because it's indicative of the fact that many children may grow up in less than ideal situations but that it shouldn't reflect on them or make them fall behind their peers (a sad fact we face in this class-ridden country).

Yagami

Good post resistant
I was thinking before that the next time we play at Old Trafford he'll get one hell of a reaction, but then I remembered there's no fans!

To be honest, considering what he's done, he may have got a nice reaction at Spurs on Friday had there been fans.

Rolaholic

The idea that anyone should 'stay out of politics' is ludicrous in a democratic society where everyone is able to vote.
The people who parrot crap like that sound like they'd prefer being in North Korea or somewhere you're not allowed to speak up for anything.

In a democracy everyone is entitled to an opinion along with sharing said opinion

siw2007

Well done to the lad, absolute hero for all those children. The u turn was inevitable after this caught so much traction.

Josep Dowling

Really? In terms of stats he’s having his best season and became an important player. And on top of that he’s done a fantastic thing for society. How can you find a negative?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Didn’t I fecking tell ye he’s better than Mbappe! The man is the greatest human being alive!

hehe

Sylar

Absolutely astounding work from him. Shaming and embarrassing the government into a u-turn (which they pretty much said was impossible yesterday). Great work from him and he deserves so much plaudits