g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rashford vs Saka vs Foden: The English Starboy Trinity

FriedClams

Foden has the skill set to play false 9, with Rashford and saka either side I think would be England’s most dominant attacking outlet.

Varun

Staff
Starboy:lol:

All 3, thankfully for England, are at their best in different positions and can easily play together.

As far as who'll end up the most celebrated, impossible to say really. Rashford has the best suited attributes to rack up goals. Saka is fkin brilliant at RW and has numbers to go with it, Foden the best passer and close control.

Doracle

Foden has the skill set to play false 9, with Rashford and saka either side I think would be England’s most dominant attacking outlet.
Are you thinking after Kane retires? It would be absolutely ludicrous to play Foden as a false 9 if Kane is available.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Foden seems to be having his dip season at the moment. Thought he was poor before the derby and he did nothing in that game of note. Its understandable though given his age that he'll have ups and downs. If we're looking beyond the last 12 months I'd say he's probably had the highest peak skill level of all 3.

Vapor trail

Rashford is a bit too old to be considered a starboy now isn't he?
Not even worth a debate the only player at United who belongs in this category is Sancho and he's been the most disappointing thus far but hopefully will show promise in the near future.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
He's become a consistent performer in a good Arsenal team.

Foden is that bit better at everything and Rashford, when actually in form, is more direct and aggressive than him. Saka is one of the players that does everything well but never strikes fear into an opponent.
Absolute nonsense. Saka doesn't strike fear into an opponent? You clearly don't watch him at all. Like I said, there's a reason teams always stick 2 or 3 people on him.. because they are scared.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Absolute nonsense. Saka doesn't strike fear into an opponent? You clearly don't watch him at all. Like I said, there's a reason teams always stick 2 or 3 people on him.. because they are scared.
Yeah watching your games you can tell defences focus on his side way more than Martinelli, which is why Martinelli is usually able to ghost to the back post almost unimpeded sometimes or can go one on one almost every time he gets the ball.

dal

——————Grealish—————
Rashford——Foden——Saka

I really believe the next tournament we should be lining up like this.

I think Grealish could be tremendous in that position. His holdup would be incredible, he never loses the ball.

Southgate won’t play Foden there, I get why city don’t but Foden is the best option by a mile there.

Lee565

——————Grealish—————
Rashford——Foden——Saka

I think Grealish could be tremendous in that position. His holdup would be incredible, he never loses the ball.

Southgate won’t play Foden there, I get why city don’t but Foden is the best option by a mile there.
If maddison can get away from the sinking ship that is Leicester and become a regular starter for a side like Newcastle then you could see him in grealish's place if southgate could break free from playing it predictable and safe with line up

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Right winger,left winger and attacking midfielder.
Power, pace,creativity, hardworking and finishing. So balanced .

Feck it - Southgate will stick to Mount and Sterling behind Kane.

Doracle

——————Grealish—————
Rashford——Foden——Saka

You think that Grealish will be better than Kane as a number 9?

dal

You think that Grealish will be better than Kane as a number 9?
The way Kane plays for England in two years I think Grealish will be better than him and will definitely show more energy.

Regardless he won’t be playing how Kane plays however I can tell you his holdup lay will be second to none, it will be Rashford, Saka and Foden scoring the goals but I cant see this ever happening.

I’d love to see Grealish up front for City if Haaland was out, a similar but better version of Martial.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Said before the World Cup that Rashford is the ideal attacker you want in a frontline that features Kane as he needs Son-like runners to run in behind when he drops deep. All three could easily work together in the same set up.. Saka RW, Rashford LW and Foden in an Odegaard/Mezzala type role. Criminal that we haven't seen it used regularly.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Foden is the least special out of the three.
He's massively mismanaged IMO... used as a winger for club and country is a criminal use of him. He should be running the game as an attacking mid. I get that he's been criticised for lacking 'pausa' but he offers so much when in a centralish role.. and instead he's being used to be a pure match winner from a wide position - its not his natural game.

RunTheTrap

Supports
Arsenal
No offence but why is Rashford in the starboy debate? He’ll be 26 in October. He’s a great player, but let’s respect him and not give him the Jesse Lingard treatment.

I think Rashford should be taken out of this discussion and put Bellingham in place of him.

Last edited:

MiceOnMeth

A few years ago people were calling Foden a generational talent what happened? I guess it's hard to stand out in that city team with De Bruyne Silva etc

RunTheTrap

Supports
Arsenal
He's become a consistent performer in a good Arsenal team.

Foden is that bit better at everything and Rashford, when actually in form, is more direct and aggressive than him. Saka is one of the players that does everything well but never strikes fear into an opponent.
Being consistent is an underrated trait. Yes Rashford is more devastating on his day, but there are some games where he can be so frustrating. Saka never really drops below a 7/10 imo. And Saka definitely strikes fear into opponents. The French media were glad to see Saka come off against France in the World Cup. Foden not so much. Plus Saka wouldn’t get kicked about if people at least respect him. I don’t think Foden has Saka’s one v one ability or physicality.

Reactions: oates

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He's massively mismanaged IMO... used as a winger for club and country is a criminal use of him. He should be running the game as an attacking mid. I get that he's been criticised for lacking 'pausa' but he offers so much when in a centralish role.. and instead he's being used to be a pure match winner from a wide position - its not his natural game.
Who does he displace out of B Silva/KDB?

I think he can be KDB's long term replacement.

DevTheRed

I think I still see Foden as the most talented of the 3.. although the other two are quickly catching up.

Foden’s future is in an attacking midfield position. I can only think of one time when he played there for England and he was class that day.

Rashford Kane Saka
Bellingham Foden
Rice
That’s how I see us going into the next tournament.. certainly been some exciting young talents come through in recent years.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Who does he displace out of B Silva/KDB?

I think he can be KDB's long term replacement.
Doesn’t necessarily need to be displace but rotation and if he’s in form pick him over Bilva. But to not even give him any game time there to let him learn that role and as for England - inexcusable.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Rashford for me should be a 20-30 goal a season player if he performed close to his potential regularly, or even (as he's starting to look like he might) figured out he's still good enough to score and slap teams about when he's not playing well.

Not sure the other two have that in their locker...although who knows with Saka. He has to go through the whole difficult period then develops into a more productive/complete player thing yet, and hes already pretty good.

Foden is at city so is cursed with the fact he'll never be that relevant since they'll score about 150 goals a season whether he plays or not, and no one will really care when they do. Also has an even more annoying face than the other two which in this case is an astonishing achievement.

All three are cursed by the fact Gareth Southgate exists and would still pick Sterling ahead of them if he retired from football to declare war on England.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Foden has 1 goal and 1 assist since his hat trick in October I think.

OverratedOpinion

This is disgusting behaviour from your ”Starboy”

He's such a nasty little chav. As much as I want England to do well I will always enjoy the memory of him desperately failing at his Gascoigne impression at the Euros before being dropped for better players.

BlueHaze

Foden one of most overhyped rubbish I've seen. He done okay for Pep Guardiolas City, oh how impressive to do well at that team. Whereas both Rashford and Saka have shown their true worth and talent in sides who has had struggles.

I didn't rate Saka that highly at first but more I see of him it's obvious there is big talent inside him. He is surprisingly strong. Very quick and technical. Always seems to be a threat. Rashford I think has to show from now on that he can consistently play well and not dissapear for another 6 months.

Foden on other hand I repeat, is shit. Bellingham looked twice the player in WC..

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
England's best front six should be pretty clear: Rice, Bellingham, Foden, Rashford, Saka, Kane.

We've had a great record of bringing young players through in the last decade, but can anyone elucidate me as to what emerging talents are on the horizon? Who are the next big things coming through? I worry at center forward, because after Kane, who is there? Callum Wilson? That's a pretty massive drop off. Do we have any exciting forwards coming through anywhere? Greenwood was the natural heir to Kane in the national team, but that's fecked now. Such a shame too, because he is one of the most two footed, calm under pressure players I have ever seen. Just a disgusting individual on a human level.

BlueHaze

England's best front six should be pretty clear: Rice, Bellingham, Foden, Rashford, Saka, Kane.

We've had a great record of bringing young players through in the last decade, but can anyone elucidate me as to what emerging talents are on the horizon? Who are the next big things coming through? I worry at center forward, because after Kane, who is there? Callum Wilson? That's a pretty massive drop off. Do we have any exciting forwards coming through anywhere? Greenwood was the natural heir to Kane in the national team, but that's fecked now. Such a shame too, because he is one of the most two footed, calm under pressure players I have ever seen. Just a disgusting individual on a human level.
Yeah Greencnut was the one for the future but now I don't know. Also an in form Sancho should be ahead of foden any day..

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
2 of them probably still won't start in the next euros with southgate's love for kane and sterling
Sterling's not the problem, he's already been displaced. The problem is Southgate won't play Foden anywhere other than the front 3 and 4 into 3 doesn't go

Saka plays RW better than anyone England have, Kane is obviously through the middle so that leaves Rashford v Foden for the left and despite Foden having never performed for England he'll always get the nod because ABU

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Same. Can't stand these terms. Clutch is another but thankfully people realised how idiotic it sounds.

feck off

I'm getting old
I'm surprised that older players aren't being called "starman"

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I think I still see Foden as the most talented of the 3.. although the other two are quickly catching up.

Foden’s future is in an attacking midfield position. I can only think of one time when he played there for England and he was class that day.

Rashford Kane Saka
Bellingham Foden
Rice
That’s how I see us going into the next tournament.. certainly been some exciting young talents come through in recent years.
Only gonna happen if we switch to 1 CDM and Southgate's track record says we won't

SAFMUTD

I dont think its fair to get Rashford in the same category as Foden and Saka. Foden and Saka are still youngsters while Rashford is a consolidated player.

After saying this I think Saka is clearly the one with the highest potential. Foden is an excelent promise player as well but Saka's pace and physicality are superior.

I see Foden clearly shinning under Pep's system but I'm not sure if he could/will be able to sustain the same level in another set up or with another coach. He's an hybrid between an 8 and a winger but he lacks explosiveness so he relies in a system like City's that allows him to be high up the pitch with possession rather than having to outpace his defender to get there.

While Saka ticks all the boxes, so he can pretty much shine under any system IMO.