Rashford vs Saka vs Foden: The English Starboy Trinity

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Saka is a traditional right winger who cuts inside - Southgate knows that player and knows how to use them.

He's not really sure what to do with a player like Foden, but it seems harsh to let that count against Foden.
I mean it's the one real difference between them

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I was thinking since Foden is likely to start in the Euros, and given that he's never really convinced for England out wide, I'd genuinely consider moving Bellingham back into midfield and playing Foden as the AM.

Something like
Rice - Bellingham
Foden
Saka - Kane - Grealish
Quite attacking but Grealish, Foden and Saka do work hard. Tons of ball control and should put most teams to the swords. Of course very unlikely to happen under Southgate.
Against good teams you're sacrificing Bellingham, which doesn't make any sense to me

Also, still nobody to control tempo and organize attacks. Not sure that's a good possession team

Pughnichi

Can we remove Rashford from the topic title?

it’s embarrassing at this point

reminds me of when scousers were comparing Skrtel to Vidic

spiriticon

Rashford belongs in the same kick and rush bracket as Sterling

The other two are proper footballers

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
I think Grealish could be that guy and I think he's wasted on the wing
I'm really not sure about this. Grealish loves to carry the ball and doesn't seem to be the type to control the tempo especially in the midfield position.
IMO, England just doesn't have that type of midfielder. What they do have however, are midfielders who are technically very good (who are also very capable goal scorers) and who are very hard workers. I think Southgate should go with the Rice/Bellingham/Foden midfield trio, with Grealish on the left wing. He can always move Foden to the left or right wing if need be, and bring in a player like Madison in the midfield.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think Foden is the most talented but I think Saka is the player that can be dropped into any side and maintain the same level.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'm really not sure about this. Grealish loves to carry the ball and doesn't seem to be the type to control the tempo especially in the midfield position.
IMO, England just doesn't have that type of midfielder. What they do have however, are midfielders who are technically very good (who are also very capable goal scorers) and who are very hard workers. I think Southgate should go with the Rice/Bellingham/Foden midfield trio, with Grealish on the left wing. He can always move Foden to the left or right wing if need be, and bring in a player like Madison in the midfield.
Ah, I'm thinking more of a David Silva that can set the tempo and coordinate in the attacking third, than a more withdrawn playmaker like Carrick.

Mainoo is that guy very obviously to me
Deeper, I agree.

marktan

Against good teams you're sacrificing Bellingham, which doesn't make any sense to me

Also, still nobody to control tempo and organize attacks. Not sure that's a good possession team
Yeah but the flip side is we play Foden as the LW and end up being toothless in attack and losing to Italy and France as we did in the last two tournaments. We played better and would probably have won if he had more than 2 out 3 attackers contributing, but Southgate in his wisdom brought on Grealish in the 93rd minute.

I think id rather try and score more than just playing it safe always and losing to the good teams

The Urban Goose

Even funnier if you've read my other rashford takes. I was admittedly being a bit of homer during rashfords great run of form last year. I maintain all three are very talented but unfortunately it's clear rashford is a bit or a lot behind the other two. The sad part for united fans is what he could be with the mentality or effort of a Saka.
To be fair, when you wrote it it was a relatively justifiable comment, no-one was to know how much he would decline again.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah but the flip side is we play Foden as the LW and end up being toothless in attack and losing to Italy and France as we did in the last two tournaments. We played better and would probably have won if he had more than 2 out 3 attackers contributing, but Southgate in his wisdom brought on Grealish in the 93rd minute.

I think id rather try and score more than just playing it safe always and losing to the good teams
Neither Bellingham nor Foden played against Italy and Foden had his best game for England against France. Also, why would England's attack be better with Foden in Bellingham's role?

lex talionis

Stating the obvious, but Rashford should never be in the same sentence as Foden and Saka. But between Foden and Saka, Foden all the way.

marktan

Neither Bellingham nor Foden played against Italy and Foden had his best game for England against France. Also, why would England's attack be better with Foden in Bellingham's role?
I'm not saying it would, I'm just saying we're going to start Foden and I'd rather it not be on the left. It completely kills that side of the attack. Hell I'd probably prefer to play Jude on the left.
Did Foden have his best game against France? I remember Saka was very good and Kane had some good link up. Don't remember anything Foden did but I probably need to rewatch the highlights.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Cole Palmer to replace Rashford in the title based on this season's performance.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Yeah it probably is harsh, but until either Pep leaves City or Southgate leaves England it's all we can judge on.
It doesn't take a crazy amount of imagination to just think of a world in which England is managed by a man with some semblance of courage.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No, it's not at all. There are many areas in which one is noticeably better than the other.
And on the whole they're performing at pretty much the same level, with similar production, even similar overall split between goalscoring and playmaking, and general impact

So yeah, if we're talking about who is better, the one noticeable difference is portability. One guy can give you that level of performance, production and impact, in different stylistic/tatical-technical contexts. The other needs a specific context

Luke1995

Does Foden reminds anyone of a young Rooney in a way ?

Just the sheer amount of natural talent there...the way he moves past players. He definitely has the potential to have a Wayne-type of career or better.

PoTMS

Rashford will walk into the England squad in the summer, but quite frankly it'll be a disgrace. He absolutely does not deserve to be there.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Does Foden reminds anyone of a young Rooney in a way ?

Just the sheer amount of natural talent there...the way he moves past players. He definitely has the potential to have a Wayne-type of career or better.
Funny you should say that, its the nickname Grealish has given him apparently. I see nothing similar in their play styles other than they are both really fecking good. But Rooney by age 20 was a better plyaer than Phil is now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Rashford will walk into the England squad in the summer, but quite frankly it'll be a disgrace. He absolutely does not deserve to be there.
Consistent with his playstyle.

Rashford is miles behind the other two and doesn’t deserve to be in any starboy trinity.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Not sure where the trinity is coming from. Rashford is midtable player

Luke1995

Funny you should say that, its the nickname Grealish has given him apparently. I see nothing similar in their play styles other than they are both really fecking good. But Rooney by age 20 was a better plyaer than Phil is now.
Well, Rooney peaked very early... wonder if Foden will be able to maintain this form longer than Wayne. It will also be interesting to see if Phil has a better international career.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I was thinking since Foden is likely to start in the Euros, and given that he's never really convinced for England out wide, I'd genuinely consider moving Bellingham back into midfield and playing Foden as the AM.

Something like
Rice - Bellingham
Foden
Saka - Kane - Grealish
Quite attacking but Grealish, Foden and Saka do work hard. Tons of ball control and should put most teams to the swords. Of course very unlikely to happen under Southgate.
I think you're trying to do the Gerrard/Lampard thing here shoehoring Bellingham and Foden both into the midfield in a conventional way.

Honestly fecking drop Kane and the team makes much more sense. He's never been anything but meh for England anyways performance wise. Scores pens and bullies Maldova. Team becomes way more interesting if you box the midfield with Rice and Mainoo behind Bellingham and Foden both in the half spaces while Saka/Rashford are wide. With Kane in there he just takes up the spaces you want to see Bellingham and Foden in while offering very little off the ball.

Something like

Rice- Mainoo

Bellingham------ Foden

Saka Rashford

Would be deadly because you're actually enabling your two best players to get into the pockets where they are most effective

Last edited:

Kwabs

Supports
Barcelona
Can we remove Rashford from the topic title?

it’s embarrassing at this point

reminds me of when scousers were comparing Skrtel to Vidic
Moreover, he's now 26 years old. Bit long in the tooth for 'starboy' status :lol: