Rashford's red card - correct decision or badly done by VAR again?

youngrell

Pogba got done for similar a few years back but at least his foot was relatively high which made it more dangerous.

I’m not having that as a red card offence. Wouldn’t even be a yellow in an amateur game. In fact, ref was fine with it until his butty got involved.

kaku06

It’s a red. Intentional or not his studs are on the shin whilst taking a big step towards him.

Dansk

When a player literally inserts his ankle in the place where another player is in the process of stepping down, it isn't reckless or violent. The "offending" player can't do anything about it. No human being can react in a nanosecond. Rashford did nothing wrong, he was shielding the ball in a routine maneuver that players do dozens of times in every game. He can't help it if somebody inserts his fecking foot in the exact place that he's moving his. It's never a red card, and it's unbelievably idiotic that anyone could ever interpret that as reckless or violent. You legitimately have to be an imbecile to see it that way. It's like if somebody leaps out in front of your car while you're driving below the speed limit and somehow you're done in for reckless driving.

Dinghy

Clearly accidental, yet it's still a red. It's dangerous play.

tomaldinho1

Correct. It sucks but it has to be red, the penalty is the issue - surely proximity is a factor.

iHicksy

So now you have to LITERALLY look down at your feet and see where they're both going simultaneously in case someone else also puts their ankle/foot under it at the last second. Sorry but football has thrown common sense out the window and embraced insanity if you think that's a red.

TrailMonkey

At normal speed it looks like he's just trying to shield the ball, but slowed down it's easier to interpret the way he plants his offending leg as more aggressive. I don't believe he had any intent to catch the bloke - it's more bad timing than anything - but it's easy for the ref to look at it cynically and deem it a red.

Kopral Jono

Red card. I'm more pissed off by the fact that for whatever reason we just can't catch a fecking break at the moment.

El Zoido

When a player literally inserts his ankle in the place where another player is in the process of stepping down, it isn't reckless or violent. The "offending" player literally can't do anything about it. No human being can react in a nanosecond. Rashford did nothing wrong, he was shielding the ball in a routine maneuver that players do dozens of times in every game. He can't help it if somebody inserts his fecking foot in the exact place that he's moving his. It's never a red card, and it's unbelievably idiotic that anyone could ever interpret that as reckless or violent. You legitimately have to be an imbecile to see it that way.
It’s quite grim how many people can’t see this and actually think this deserves a red.

It's a red. Kidding ourselves to say otherwise. Usual suspects costing us with their stupidity again.

Devil81

If that happened to one of our players you'd demand a red. He's clearly not meant it but unfortunately you can not mean something and it can still be considered dangerous play and in this case it was that bad it was a red.

3KDré

It's not just this one. Every 50/50 goes against us. Every single one.

Oldham

If you ever played football you don't want this to be red card. Accidents happen in football and there was no intention what so ever. Ridiculous decision

cj_sparky

I think it is really unlucky as I think Rashford is simply looking to shield the ball and it is purely accidental.

I fully expected it to be a red after seeing the replay, especially seeing the point of contact and how Rashford's foot was positioned. It seemed like a red that would be given in Europe to be honest.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Scholes and Hargreaves both calling everyone who thinks it’s a red in here clueless.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Is that the barometer? A player can get badly injured without there even being a foul.
What? How can it NOT have been a foul? Intent has nothing to do with anything here.

fps

An obviously terrible decision. Ridiculous.

IRELANDUNITED

How many decisions need to go against us until we f*cking do something about it. Write a letter, go absolutely ape shite in a press conference. Something. The year 2023 I don’t think I’ve ever seen more decisions go against us and it’s never ending.

Liverpool have 1 decision go against them this season and they are asking for a replay of the match. Arsenal have a decision go against them are Arteta causes mayhem in the press conference.

At what point will our manager, players, or the club itself say enough is enough, and start DEMANDING answers for the amount of decisions that are constantly going against us. I’m sure someone somewhere has a list of all the decisions this year that has gone against us, it’s beyond absolutely ridiculous.

Dansk

It’s a red. Intentional or not his studs are on the shin whilst taking a big step towards him.
That's literally just not what happened.

Rashford is moving to shield the ball. The Copenhagen player then fecking inserts his ankle in the place where Rashford's step comes down. It's physically impossible for him to avoid stepping on the opponent's ankle. If this should always be a red card, you could get any player sent off anytime you want by just sticking your leg into the path of their feet while they run.

AndyMUFC

I don’t think the intent is there but you can see why it’s given. The impact is a potential ankle breaker.

RedDevilRoshi

It reminds me of the Maeda red card for Celtic last night. It looks worse when it’s slowed down. There was no intention to endanger the opponent from Marcus but can see why VAR gave it, especially when they slow replays down like that.

Pathetic.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If the rules are that any contact like that on the ankle is a red then obviously it’s correct but it would also mean the rules are bollocks.

Stepping across an opponent to protect the ball happens dozens of times every single game. So all of those players who do that should be sent off if a player sticks a leg under them during that movement?

Malone_Post

It’s the most obvious red card you could possibly see. How anyone is arguing against it is hilarious and shows how utterly deluded this fan base is.

Fr. Todd Unctious

I don’t think the intent is there but you can see why it’s given. The impact is a potential ankle breaker.

Yep. Have seen them given previously too. This isn't one of things were we've never really seen them given previously unlike some of the other decisions we've seen against us this season

Lentwood

Let me just explain something for the people who have never played the game.

When the ball breaks loose, as it did in that split second, you react to shield the ball.

In order to do that, you need to plant your foot and set yourself, so that you can withstand the contact/challenge from the opponent.

You are NOT making a tackle. You are planting your foot so you can use your bodyweight to shield the ball.

If an opponent HAPPENS to stick their foot/shin/leg in the way, as you go to put your foot on the ground, that is bad luck on their part. Nothing more. Its a run of the mill in-game incident that happens over and over and over and over again all over the country in games all across the weekend.

ONLY in top level football, where we slow everything down, use 20 angles and have games officiated by fat schoolmasters are they ever red cards

CallyRed

I can see why it was a red. Whether I agree or not is a different thing

Acquire Me

Wat a load of bull... Intention is irrelevant.. He had no intention whatsoever but his timing/judgement was awful, he was way too late and this foul because his leg is stretched and he puts his weight in it is a very unlucky, but very rightful red card..
This happens on a football field every fecking match. No, you have not played yourself. Not a red at all.