2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Chief123

On first view I thought it might be a penalty, but the fact Hojlund just picked himself up and got on with it made me think it wasn't. Watching this makes it clear it definitely should have been a penalty. I wonder if they would have looked more into it if he'd made a big deal of it?
His arm is wrapped around him so far that you can actually see Gabriel’s hand come out the other side when looking from behind. If that’s not hauling your player to the ground by illegal means then I’m not sure what is. Especially considering he’s not even making any intention to go for the ball. All focus was just bringing his man down.

Unfortunately it seems this is one of those stupid fouls which tend to get accepted as part of football. Similar to how dragging players to the ground during corners or defenders over excessively going out of their way to body block a forward from getting the ball when shepherding it out of play for a goal kick.

macheda14

Havertz clips AWBs leg not the other way round. AWB foot was planted before Havenrtz moved into that position, its not a foul
But AWB moves into that position to plant his foot, he wasn’t there before, he essentially blocks him off rather than it being a tackle. It would have been soft but I wouldn’t have been too pissed off.

Jack-C20

Even without goals he completely changes how we play. Defenders can’t relax with him about. I think that’s why yesterday hurt so much. I was absolutely buzzing after seeing how much better we were with him up front only to lose it like that. I’m definitely excited to see more of him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
But AWB moves into that position to plant his foot, he wasn’t there before, he essentially blocks him off rather than it being a tackle. It would have been soft but I wouldn’t have been too pissed off.
Yes but he didn't actually make contact with Havertz, you are allowed to block a player

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
It was so nice to see like five minutes after he had come on Casemiro encouraged him when we got a corner, almost ripped his shirt off. To me it read as Casemiro being so happy with RH's effort and how he bullied Gabriel. Can only imagine how much it helps the teammates when you have a fighter up top.

RobbieBerns

I think he’s going to smash it. Even if he only bags 10-15 in all comps I think he’s going to get a lot of love and respect for his efforts and the way he’ll change and impact our gameplay.

whitbyviking

No he wouldn't, he wouldn't have even got anywhere near the box
Agree, Rasmus started off behind Rashford and overtook him, Martial would have remained behind him, and the gap would have widened. Anthony also did well to be up with them too.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

On first view I thought it might be a penalty, but the fact Hojlund just picked himself up and got on with it made me think it wasn't. Watching this makes it clear it definitely should have been a penalty. I wonder if they would have looked more into it if he'd made a big deal of it?
That's a pen. No way Gabriel turns to get to the ball first and he knows it....hence he cuts across Hojlund's running line and pulls him back. Not a beep of it anywhere, not even a replay on it or a VAR check.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
It was so nice to see like five minutes after he had come on Casemiro encouraged him when we got a corner, almost ripped his shirt off. To me it read as Casemiro being so happy with RH's effort and how he bullied Gabriel. Can only imagine how much it helps the teammates when you have a fighter up top.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Agree, Rasmus started off behind Rashford and overtook him, Martial would have remained behind him, and the gap would have widened. Anthony also did well to be up with them too.
Antony always busts a gut to get into the box, never as issue with him

justsomebloke

That's a pen. No way Gabriel turns to get to the ball first and he knows it....hence he cuts across Hojlund's running line and pulls him back. Not a beep of it anywhere, not even a replay on it or a VAR check.
Didn't see it that way when it occurred, but you have a point there.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Didn't see it that way when it occurred, but you have a point there.
Yeah Gabriel opens his body to cover/anticipate/show Hojlund going on the outside and shoot across goal. Once Hojlund turns inside with the little dink Gabriel is essentially flat footed - hence even losing his balance attempting to turn with Hojlund. He then clearly cuts right across into Hojlunds running line and wraps his arms around him to further impede his run.

Promising first 35 minutes. No more, no less.
Yeah, this. Will be interesting to see how he adapts to low blocks, but against a high line and with space to run into, i can already see him being a nightmare to defend against. Promising indeed. Difference between him and Martial was night and day. Gabriel actually had some defending to do.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Lovely flick for Garnacho goal, great pace and should’ve won a pen. Imagine both of those things had happened. Looks a great prospect

Suv666

Fast and strong, very few strikers possess that combo, even if he hasn't developed that killer instinct yet, the movement alone would make us click

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Looks like he could have a transformative effect. Our entire midfield are rubbish on the half-turn and most of our attackers don’t like playing with their back to goal. Straight away he looked like he loved the physical battle, and he finally gave our midfielders a chance to get the ball with the play in front of them.
I’ve disliked this about our team for the longest time. They’re all frightened of a ball played to them with back to goal. Mount (pretty good on the turn) and Rasmus should he help in this regard.

twitter thread suggester
He makes me actually look forward to next round.

Trex

I said he'll be loved for his attitude. No one likes to play a Fernandes, Casemiro, Martinez type of player. His first action after coming on was him pressing Gabriel for a ball he wasn't really going to win but it automatically put Gabriel under pressure and led to a hurried pass. He'll be a handful to opponent defenders and it would create much room for other players to operate.
When we have all the players available (at least the majority). There's a lot of ingredient now to become a really good team. I'm calm about our start of the season.

eire-red

Yeah I think it was a clear run where neither of them knew each others tendencies. If you look at Hojlund's highlights, he's made that run multiple times where the attacker on the ball should keep going hard and stay wide and play it across low to the far post. Rashford obviously doesn't have much of a left foot and was looking for an overlapping run to slip him in as that's the sort of pass he always does in that scenario, or drag the defender away.

Purely something that comes with training, neither is the wrong option you just need to both be on the same page about what you want or understand what the player is capable of doing.
We haven't had a striker in so long who'll make those hard runs into the opposition box.

On chance where Rashford dribbled past White on the byline, we're so used not to seeing any striker there as well. If not for brilliant defending from the Arsenal defender who was touch tight, could have easily been a goal.

Those scrappy ones are worth 5/10 goals a season, and we haven't been scoring them. The fact that Hojlund was there brings in an entirely new dynamic to our attack.

Von Mistelroum

He looks good so far. Full of running and adventure. Hopefully we don't train that out of him or bring him down to the level of the likes of Rashford and Martial.

BlahRules

I understand the dislike for the Mount purchase but it will be a different kettle of fish when he returns with the pressing level being upped. I am hoping players like Rashford start to press as well then just wait for the moment to attack.

tomaldinho1

Yep it's really bad defending. I actually think the covering defender probably stops Rasmus getting the shot off but Gabriel gets his positioning wrong and literally wraps his whole arm around Rasmus whilst simultaneously just falling across him. The latter part is always a bit murky in football as you can kind of claim shoulder to shoulder type contact and 'putting your body in the way' but the arm is indefensible and yet the refs are saying it's fine.

Chairman Steve

I understand the dislike for the Mount purchase but it will be a different kettle of fish when he returns with the pressing level being upped. I am hoping players like Rashford start to press as well then just wait for the moment to attack.
I can see Mount and Hojlund being a frequent goal/assist collaboration once everything clicks.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yep it's really bad defending. I actually think the covering defender probably stops Rasmus getting the shot off but Gabriel gets his positioning wrong and literally wraps his whole arm around Rasmus whilst simultaneously just falling across him. The latter part is always a bit murky in football as you can kind of claim shoulder to shoulder type contact and 'putting your body in the way' but the arm is indefensible and yet the refs are saying it's fine.
Yeah, i think Saliba comes across and probably blocks/intercepts, but again, it's such fine margins and with Hojlund not impeded....who knows, right? But you're spot on, the arms wrapped around the waist is essentially a rugby tackle. No 2 ways about it.

justsomebloke

I said he'll be loved for his attitude. No one likes to play a Fernandes, Casemiro, Martinez type of player. His first action after coming on was him pressing Gabriel for a ball he wasn't really going to win but it automatically put Gabriel under pressure and led to a hurried pass. He'll be a handful to opponent defenders and it would create much room for other players to operate.
When we have all the players available (at least the majority). There's a lot of ingredient now to become a really good team. I'm calm about our start of the season.
And that was possibly the best CB pairing in the league he was up against there.

lex talionis

A clear pen, on top of the clearly horror offside call. But that’s how it goes.

Rasmus looked really good. More to come from the boy.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Funny how nobody is mentioning the price now after he closed down a few players and threw his body around and made a couple of nice runs...

Said it all along, it's just important to get a player like him in, ignore the price. We were desperate for somebody like him.

r0663664

Worships Man City
He is just different player then Martial, we had a throw-in, Bruno told AWB to throw it forward as Hoijund has the strength to hold off the defender. If it is Martial, we would throw the ball back to defenders. I actually think we may have bought our striker for the next 10 years. We need an adequate back-up as Martial leaves next season.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He’s a massive presence up front. I like how he puts his body about and lets defenders know he’s there.

Red-17

We haven't had a striker in so long who'll make those hard runs into the opposition box.

On chance where Rashford dribbled past White on the byline, we're so used not to seeing any striker there as well. If not for brilliant defending from the Arsenal defender who was touch tight, could have easily been a goal.

Those scrappy ones are worth 5/10 goals a season, and we haven't been scoring them. The fact that Hojlund was there brings in an entirely new dynamic to our attack.
And he has scored a good few goals, based on his highlights, from those hard driven balls across the box where we seem to never have anyone making that full sprint run in on goal. Really seems to have the drive/determination needed of a top player in addition to the obviously huge physical potential with his size/speed.

Red-17

Also having a striker who can stretch the backline in behind will be a huge bonus again. Apart from when Rashford plays there, we have not had someone who could do that since Martial's early days prior to him losing 2 yards of pace with all his injuries

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He has everything I'd like see in a CF - fast, powerful, aggressive, nice flicks/touch, constant threat and movement up front.

I think he will become huge huge player or us.