View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Ramus Hojlund... the latest miracle. From wheelchair to walking and now running.

Last edited:

sglowrider

He was alright. Dodgy first touch at times but he didn't look out of his depth at least. Still find it incredible that we're relying on a raw youngster to lead the line for us this season.

Weren't you complaining that you can't believe how old our strikers were in the past -- Ibra, Ronaldo 2.0 etc?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Weren't you complaining that you can't believe how old our strikers were in the past -- Ibra, Ronaldo 2.0 etc?
To be honest you don’t have to go from one extreme to another and you can have more than one striker in your squad you can trust to be fit.

Chief123

Penalty shout:

Im struggling to see any arguments that suggests that’s not a penalty. A defender making zero effort whatsoever to get the ball. His sole objective is to stop the striker at all costs. He does so illegally by wrapping his arm around his waist to wrestle him to the ground.

Chief123

Meh, to be fair if that was given against us I'd be outraged. Not a pen for me.
Arsenal were literally given one in the same game for something where the defender didn’t even attempt any contact with the forward. VAR corrected the mistake but failed to correct the mistake on this wrestling move.

croadyman

To be honest you don’t have to go from one extreme to another and you can have more than one striker in your squad you can trust to be fit.
Yeah a properly run club who isn't drained to the max by leeching owners would have signed an experienced ST to back him up. Had a decent little cameo and can hopefully get some more mins under belt with Denmark.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Arsenal were literally given one in the same game for something where the defender didn’t even attempt any contact with the forward. VAR corrected the mistake but failed to correct the mistake on this wrestling move.
I guess I'm saying I don't think it was a cert. If it had been given I could see why but can also see why it wasn't.

SAFMUTD

I dont know why more players and Hojlund himself didnt made more of a fuss about that stonewall penalty. At the time it seemed like nothing because there wasnt a replay and no one but Hojlund, half hearted, argued to the referee. I feel if more fuss was done to it maybe VAR would have been forzed to look at it and ultimately give it as its clear as feck.

stoinz

I really like what I saw. Him backing into Arsenal defenders, outmuscling them is such a breath of fresh air compared to Martial. Have a quick turn of pace too. Case likes what he saw too, there was a point in the match and Case went up to him and 'rough' him up.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I really like what I saw. Him backing into Arsenal defenders, outmuscling them is such a breath of fresh air compared to Martial. Have a quick turn of pace too. Case likes what he saw too, there was a point in the match and Case went up to him and 'rough' him up.
Yeah I loved that too. It felt slightly nostalgic seeing that. We used to have Ruud and RVP and more recently Zlatan doing that. Then fecking Martial and Rashford happened.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Breathe of fresh air upfront.

Finally we have someone who actually wants to make things happen and is strong/good enough to make it happen.

Hope Rashford takes note because if he even puts in half the effort Holjund showed last night, Rashford would be a top 10 player in the world.

sglowrider

Of course, we need more balanced stable strikers. But we can't get rid of Martial. The only way is when his contract runs down. He has been 'conveniently' injured twice leading up to summer transfer windows in the past 4 years.

So we cant really afford to bring other strikers unless they are cheap.

sglowrider

I dont know why more players and Hojlund himself didnt made more of a fuss about that stonewall penalty. At the time it seemed like nothing because there wasnt a replay and no one but Hojlund, half hearted, argued to the referee. I feel if more fuss was done to it maybe VAR would have been forzed to look at it and ultimately give it as its clear as feck.
I think it was the guile of Gabriel that made it look like he fell too easily --- unsighted tugging of Hojlund's jersey.

Cassidy

Of course, we need more balanced stable strikers. But we can't get rid of Martial. The only way is when his contract runs down. He has been 'conveniently' injured twice leading up to summer transfer windows in the past 4 years.

So we cant really afford to bring other strikers unless they are cheap.
Why do we need to get rid of Martial to sign a striker on a free or on loan.

Cassidy

I think it was the guile of Gabriel that made it look like he fell too easily --- unsighted tugging of Hojlund's jersey.
Gabriel also fell into Hojlunds back to bring him down

moodyred

A striker that presses, wants to get into the 6 yard box, willing to make runs and strong enough to bully opposition defenders. A refreshing change after a few games with ballphobic Martial.

sglowrider

Gabriel also fell into Hojlunds back to bring him down
I know but Gabriel got more clever later. Timed the tugging just when Hojlund was about to turn and least balanced.

Ramus needs to learn and experience will teach him to do it dfferently.

Cassidy

I know but Gabriel got more clever later. Timed the tugging just when Hojlund was about to turn and least balanced.
Ramus needs to learn.
Needs to learn that refs won’t call a foul?
He was fine, I actually think what he needed to do was play the first time ball with his right foot across goal to Rashford. His take on of Gabriel for me was fine

Marcus

Looking good. Can hold up play, outpace defenders, bully defenders physically. Really adds a different dimension to our attack.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Hoijund looks good with just over 20 mins playing upfront. He already looks better than Martial in that 20+ mins then Martial looks in a few games. Lucky international break is here, I think our form will be much better after this break. I hope that our players doesn't suffer any injury and can kick off our campaign. Hoping to see Hoijund, Mainoo and Armabat incorporated to the XI and hopefully with Amad, Varane and Mount coming back soon.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Also loved how Casemiro clearly was so happy to see an attacker bullying a defender after seeing whatever Martial does, was hilarious Case grabbing Hojlund on that corner

Norris

Honestly, that was an impressive debut. Gave us more control the moment he came on. He was quite physical, rapid (Still surprised how quickly he got to that through ball from Cas) and should have been awarded a Pen. Ideally, Rashford should have played him through for that one chance (Just hope this doesn't become a thing)

The raw talent is definitely there. Hope he goes onto have a great career here.

meamth

Real worry is our build up play won't end up on our striker.

Most of the times when we're in good position for final third passes or early crosses, we fecking waste it.
It's nice to see we can absorb pressing from the back now, but deary me, if we keep hoofing the ball to force defenders or 2nd ball mistakes we're in big trouble going into the season.

Rashfrod and Antony always have a go themselves, that's a massive problem. Our strikers looks disappointed everytime!

Maybe the squad isn't used to a good striker anymore, but here's hoping Haaland would change that, good debut.

NoPace

Im struggling to see any arguments that suggests that’s not a penalty. A defender making zero effort whatsoever to get the ball. His sole objective is to stop the striker at all costs. He does so illegally by wrapping his arm around his waist to wrestle him to the ground.
Only explanation is that VAR thought Saliba had the ball, or they bottled it.

NoPace

Promising debut. Created a few 2nd balls just by being strong, looked reasonably quick.

Real Name

Real worry is our build up play won't end up on our striker.

Most of the times when we're in good position for final third passes or early crosses, we fecking waste it.
It's nice to see we can absorb pressing from the back now, but deary me, if we keep hoofing the ball to force defenders or 2nd ball mistakes we're in big trouble going into the season.

Rashfrod and Antony always have a go themselves, that's a massive problem. Our strikers looks disappointed everytime!

Maybe the squad isn't used to a good striker anymore, but here's hoping Haaland would change that, good debut.
Good thing we weren't doing that once he came in.

eire-red

Also loved how Casemiro clearly was so happy to see an attacker bullying a defender after seeing whatever Martial does, was hilarious Case grabbing Hojlund on that corner
I loved that moment too. He brought a presence up front, and we looked so much more balanced as a team for it. I think everyone got a lift when he started fighting for those balls and bringing others into play.

Lyng

Great debut by Rasmus. Stonewall penalty by the way. If that was Varane on Jesus we would be hearing nothing else from the media today.

adkb

So excited to see him play. Promising signs.

If this signing works out, please throw the bank at more such player. Please please please.

There was literally nothing "raw" about him. Looked like an experienced pro.
Was my thought too, no idea what @Doracle saw as ”raw” in that performance. Looked like a seasoned pro up top in the way he bullied Gabriel, chose the perfect time to play his one flick, and really should have had a penalty.
Everything about his game yesterday would have you believe he was 28 years old in his 5th season in England.

Grande

Really annoying when Marcus didn’t play his run through the middle. On the other hand, he did score our only goal from a similar choice, and also did play Højlund up in the five yard box another time, when he heel kicked it. It’s a promising partnership.

Really feels like VAR decided this game. They have centimetre-eyes for Garnacho’s run, but says nothing about Gabriel straight-arming Højlund down or wrestling Evans away from the goal scorer. It is a real shower of bad luck to turn a brilliant away steal against a rival into a second straight away loss.

Cassidy

Really annoying when Marcus didn’t play his run through the middle. On the other hand, he did score our only goal from a similar choice, and also did play Højlund up in the five yard box another time, when he heel kicked it. It’s a promising partnership.

Really feels like VAR decided this game. They have centimetre-eyes for Garnacho’s run, but says nothing about Gabriel straight-arming Højlund down or wrestling Evans away from the goal scorer. It is a real shower of bad luck to turn a brilliant away steal against a rival into a second straight away loss.
I think the run was poor, when he actually got into the box and Rashford was waiting to pass. Which is why Rashford in the end, ended up doing nothing

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Love him already. Massive difference to our play having a guy who can actually bully strikers and compete for the ball at 9. Looks fast AF too. Can't wait to see more.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Looks like he could have a transformative effect. Our entire midfield are rubbish on the half-turn and most of our attackers don’t like playing with their back to goal. Straight away he looked like he loved the physical battle, and he finally gave our midfielders a chance to get the ball with the play in front of them.
He really does. Considering that our personnel (midfield + Rashford/Garnacho) likes to go 100 mph and direct, while, as you say, all are pretty rubbish on half-turn, the whole team to properly function heavily relies on a striker. Which at first thought probably puts too much pressure on a 20-year old kid, but it is what it is.

I even wouldn't judge him based on goals so much (definitely not in this phase of his development). If he has the ability to bring others into play, he can be an instant massive upgrade for the team as seen yesterday because just by having that focal point of attack finally, the team started to breath and push forward.
What is the most exciting thing about him is that some strikers thrive in link up play (Kane, Benzema), while others thrive in running the channels which also can provide massive space for others to exploit behind (Drogba, Osimhen, Vardy). People will laugh, but last time Chelsea played good football, Timo Werner was a huge part of it. Just his ability to drag the defence all around the pitch was hugely beneficial with Mount out of all people absolutely thriving behind him. Rasmus has that rare potential to mix both to a very good degree while being a nuisance to opposition defensive line. And while he will, almost certainly, never have that silky touch of Kane or Benzema, he looks surprisingly agile for such a big man. And if we (or he) manage to develop his all around game in such, multifaceted way, yeah, he is truly gonna be transformative for this team.

Patience needed of course (especially in terms of his link up play/creativity and goals), but one thing is certain. I will never berate the club for going with this route in terms of signing. Bringing young, highly motivated player with bags of potential.

Chief123

It’s exciting to make a forward signing who has serious pace, strength and link up ability all in one.

As fantastic as Kane is and would give you guaranteed goals, I can see the thinking behind ETH wanting to pursue this kid.

Yes it’s a big risk to see if he actually becomes a success but if he does, he’s got every attribute you would want to play the style ETH wants to. This kid looks like a pressing machine who will press with intensity and not half heartedly. He’s rapid, got a great touch and link up ability with team mates. You could see our other players come alive when they realised they can play off him.

Looks a real prospect. Excited to see him play more.