View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

lsd

The Oracle
He has one less goal than Darwin Nunez this season in a dysfunctional team. Surround him with the right players and he'll come good.

Hopefully but comparing him to Nunez and saying he's only one goal behind him is not the greatest boost for our confidence in him

Bwuk

Hopefully but comparing him to Nunez and saying he's only one goal behind him is not the greatest boost for our confidence in him
Nunez would be superb and walk into our team. Very under rated.

RuudTom83

Hojlund 7 Goals and 1 Assist

Kid is progressing fine and should be protected from any criticism.

If he can get 10-15 goals in his first season then it has been a success, half way there!

mu4c_20le

Guys, nunez has 3 assists and is almost always dangerous even when he misses chances. Hohund would do well to compare with him

The Hilton

Well taken goal, smart assist, should have had another assist but for a very poor Rashford touch.

Hopefully he can keep it up, would make a big difference to our season.

laughtersassassin

Guys, nunez has 3 assists and is almost always dangerous even when he misses chances. Hohund would do well to compare with him
Yes Nunez is currently better than Hojlund. Especially overall involvement.

But put Hojlund into the Liverpool squad and he scores a lot more goals than what he does here and presumably more than Nunez considering his finishing appears to be better and their is currently a one goal difference between them in all comps

criticalanalysis

“Where was Hojlund”?…making a legitimate and typical front post run as any single striker would do. He can’t split himself in half and go front post and chase himself behind ffs
He was making the run that dragged McTominay's defender away from him thus leaving McTominay with a completely free header that he missed
Exactly this.

People keep saying 'if McTominay can find the space and get the chances, why can't Hojlund?' as a criticism, when it's usually because of his movement that creates the space for McTominay in the first place. The question everyone should have been asking is when has McTominay the midfielder ever found Hojlund regularly? Aside from that chance against Liverpool, I honestly can't remember anything useful from the Scotsman towards his forward and Hojlund is feeding off scraps. Other players are cannibalising his space because they can't play with any nuance other than just thundering into the box. Hojlund stills deserve his own criticism for not finishing off chances and he's far from perfect but the comments are so simplistic.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I didnt get to see the game, only highlights, loved his goal. Hope he is now on a run of goals, deserves to just for his attitude and effort.

DanishPastry

i think it is being a bit unfair, as stated he creates the space, he gets VERY little to work with.
what surprises me is how often he had to end on the wing, to kinda defend off Rashford or who ever else it was, that just took the striker position.. he had to run SO much to try and defend off these areas, i think it is his problem (also what Eriksen fights, and plays to what he CANNOT do. which is Defense.) he is just a striker, he just needs to be up there, if Rashford, or Garnacho or McT or whoever does not cover their position, he should still be the "front" guy.

Hope he gets so much more

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
“Where was Hojlund”?…making a legitimate and typical front post run as any single striker would do. He can’t split himself in half and go front post and chase himself behind ffs
He is always more than often in the wrong place

Lyng

The service is still woeful. He makes the right moves but our final third passing is not good enough. Which is why all our attackers are struggling for goals.

Cassidy

The service is still woeful. He makes the right moves but our final third passing is not good enough. Which is why all our attackers are struggling for goals.
He is often making the wrong runs and when crosses come in making his movement late. Im an not denying service could be better but when you watch him his anticipation isn’t very good yet.

Lyng

He is often making the wrong runs and when crosses come in making his movement late. Im an not denying service could be better but when you watch him his anticipation isn’t very good yet.
I have seen him time again be spot on for Denmark. If Mathias Jensen and Rasmus Wind can find him, I would hope our players can. Our attacking in general lacks clear patters of play and our passing is not good enough.

marktan

He was more expensive than he should've been but unlike with Antony, Sancho and Mount, he has enough there that he can eventually be worth the money.

Kostov

The kid is talented and has a good head on his shoulders, we need to be patient with him and surround him with better players and I think a better manager.

Cassidy

I have seen him time again be spot on for Denmark. If Mathias Jensen and Rasmus Wind can find him, I would hope our players can. Our attacking in general lacks clear patters of play and our passing is not good enough.
And hes been spot on for us at times too, the PL is not the same as playing against Finland

Lyng

And hes been spot on for us at times too, the PL is not the same as playing against Finland
The runs he needs to make are largely the same though, its about losing defenders and being at the right spot.

Cassidy

The runs he needs to make are largely the same though, its about losing defenders and being at the right spot.
And the game in the PL is many times faster than playing against Finland, when I said he is behind the pace of the game that was why. His anticipation is not there yet, he is at times behind the play by a few seconds. This is why at times just misses the crosses put in for him

Lyng

And the game in the PL is many times faster than playing against Finland, when I said he is behind the pace of the game that was why. His anticipation is not there yet, he is at times behind the play by a few seconds. This is why at times just misses the crosses put in for him
Absolutely. Though he has played against better teams than Finland and scored...
Champions league is also a higher level than Finland.
He is at times a few seconds behind, but mostly we are absolutely diabolical in attack and have a clear lack of patterns.

Paul778

Indeed. Generally when the ball goes wide noone in the middle properly knows when to make a run. Usually the wide player stands off for a bit and/or tries some tricks before recycling the ball.

When we played against West Ham the midfielder said after the game that both his two forwards knew what he was going to do and made the runs each time, making it much easier for him to find them.

MiracleInMadrid

Exactly this.

People keep saying 'if McTominay can find the space and get the chances, why can't Hojlund?' as a criticism, when it's usually because of his movement that creates the space for McTominay in the first place. The question everyone should have been asking is when has McTominay the midfielder ever found Hojlund regularly? Aside from that chance against Liverpool, I honestly can't remember anything useful from the Scotsman towards his forward and Hojlund is feeding off scraps. Other players are cannibalising his space because they can't play with any nuance other than just thundering into the box. Hojlund stills deserve his own criticism for not finishing off chances and he's far from perfect but the comments are so simplistic.
This has baffled me aswell. People have been calling McTominay to play as a striker as "he's more dangerous in the box than Højlund", and by that completely neglecting that Højlund drags a lot of attention with his presence in the box thus making space for his teammates. If McTominay were to play as a lone striker instead of Højlund, I bet you he would score even less than Højlund has so far.

We would really excel offensively, if we had a player behind Højlund, or a striker next to him, that could exploit the space he creates better than our current lot. And if our wingers had a better eye for their attacking partners in and around the box in terms of cutbacks and crosses.

Cassidy

Absolutely. Though he has played against better teams than Finland and scored...
He is at times a few seconds behind, but mostly we are absolutely diabolical in attack and have a clear lack of patterns.
No one is denying the team needs to play better and create more for him, however he also needs to improve. Since Garnacho has been moved to the RW I don't think the excuse of chance creating for him is valid.

Lyng

No one is denying the team needs to play better and create more for him, however he also needs to improve. Since Garnacho has been moved to the RW I don't think the excuse of chance creating for him is valid.
He does and he will. He is only 20 afterall. They are still valid. We still create way to little.

MiracleInMadrid

He surely has to work on his timing and finding the right spaces better than he has.

But he's also beeing judged on a very limited number of situations where he's actually getting the right service. If he more often than not had gotten the same amount of chances he got against Wigan, I would have found it easier to judge his ability to take chances.

It's also somewhat of a vicious circle in terms of his sharpness in front of goal. He hasn't got the chance to hone his scoring ability because of the lack of service. And when he then suddenly gets the chances he's not experienced and cultured enough as a striker to keep a higher conversion rate.

I don't want to make it all sound like it's everyone elses fault, but I believe it's more balanced than it's often put out on here. Kane was 22 before he started hitting 2-digit goal numbers. Before that he spent his time in the Championship and learning his trade without putting up anything special in terms of number of goals. Højlund is just now learning what it means to be the main source of goals in a dysfunctional team under immense pressure. He's doing fine under those circumstances and doesn't seem to shy away.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
In a team of brainless hit and hope footballers, indeed he is always more than often in the wrong place.

Hojlund’s inability to telepathically judge every single unmeasured ball into the box is a disgrace imo.

The fact Garnacho is now our main threat and very inconsistent in the quality of his final ball speaks volumes of where we are and why we rank so low in the goals and chances charts. Rashford and Bruno need to either cut out the brainlessness or learn how to develop a pattern with different players.

Cassidy

In a team of brainless hit and hope footballers, indeed he is always more than often in the wrong place.

Hojlund’s inability to telepathically judge every single unmeasured ball into the box is a disgrace imo.

The fact Garnacho is now our main threat and very inconsistent in the quality of his final ball speaks volumes of where we are and why we rank so low in the goals and chances charts. Rashford and Bruno need to either cut out the brainlessness or learn how to develop a pattern with different players.
A strikers job is not to just stand in the box and wait for crosses, but carry on. He needs to involve himself in the buildup and help link the play. Issue is he is often in the wrong place and not making the right runs or he does not hold the ball well. So too the other players also are not playing well. Its not a coincidence that we created more with Martial as the 9 even with him on one leg and not being arsed.

Hoijlund is developing and we can see that, so is Garnacho who by the way has been putting in good delivery from the RW since he moved there in every game he played

Rockets Redglare

The lad got a goal and an assist and he’s still criticised. Hojlund is the least of our worries at the minute, he’ll keep getting better and better.
It’s just a shame we don’t have another competent striker to share the burden with him.

Mike Smalling

Even ignoring the goal, he did quite well. Could have had another couple of assists with a bit more quality from Bruno and Rashford. Hopefully he can build on it.

Cassidy

Even ignoring the goal, he did quite well. Good have had another couple of assists with a bit more quality from Bruno and Rashford. Hopefully he can build on it.
Agree thought yesterday was one of his better games in a United shirt, excluding the goal

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Earlier in the season his movement was quite good. He was quite consistently making dangerous runs and getting into good positions but his teammates just weren't finding him. As time wore on his movement does seem to have declined, quite likely due to lacking some confidence. Hopefully these couple of goals lately will help him raise his game again.

afatzp

Whenever he got a half-decent ball , he can make something happen . The problem is he just rarely got any of such to perform , especially around Rashford .
I hope ETH can give direction to the team to play more balls through Hojlund and set gameplan and off-ball running around him. Yes he may not yet mature enough to carry us to top 4 , but at least we invest this time for his development and well worth it , instead of keep fancying Rashford who has not much potential to develop further.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I think we have a general issue amongst our attackers where noone really knows when the pass will be played. You always see someone starting a run, not getting the ball because the player with it took an extra touch, so they stop their run and then the pass is played. We really need our attackers to get on the same wavelength.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I think we have a general issue amongst our attackers where noone really knows when the pass will be played. You always see someone starting a run, not getting the ball because the player with it took an extra touch, so they stop their run and then the pass is played. We really need our attackers to get on the same wavelength.
it’s because they’re mostly trying to find the best option available for themselves and not the best option for the team.

RedIan

I feel in citys team he would now be on 20 goals this season. Our wingers and 10 seem incapable of supplying him.