g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Rasmus Hojlund image 11

Rasmus Hojlund Denmark flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

GueRed

So far from what I've seen, I like him.

He always puts a shift in, he's quick, strong, got good feet and can finish..Still 20yrs old. Better service to him and the goals will come..

Doracle

A bit of a myth needs to be busted about his goal scoring record for us.

Yes, he hasn't got as many in the league as we would have liked and it took him a while to get off the mark. However his overall stats are below.

He has played 1744 Minute this season
Score 7 goals (5 in Cl and 2 in PL)
If we say an average game lasts 100 minutes that's a goal every every 2.49 games.

A goal every 2 and a half games is a decent return for a striker in his first season. It has always been said that top top class strikers aim for a 1 in 2 record.

Now factor in the injuries, stop start season, lack of service and how dreadful the team have been, it's actually a pretty good return.

If it was 5 goals in the PL and 2 in the CL we wouldn't be having these conversations.

Hojlund is the least of our worries IMO.
Marcus Rashford averages a goal or assist every 1.8 games this season on that basis. Not that I disagree with the view above on Hojlund but it’s instructive to see the different approach being taken to someone who has just come off a 40GA season. For him, we don’t get comments about how dreadful the team has been. Instead we have the view that:

He's just not a good player. Never has been and never will be. A 6 month purple patch doesn't change that. Look at players like Michu. We need to sell him while some people still think he's a good player and it's the club holding him back.

It really is astonishing how people will go out of their way to support the shiny new toy, whilst running down the players who have actually been our best performers over the past few years at every opportunity.

STYLOISRED

Marcus Rashford averages a goal or assist every 1.8 games this season on that basis. Not that I disagree with the view above on Hojlund but it’s instructive to see the different approach being taken to someone who has just come off a 40GA season. For him, we don’t get comments about how dreadful the team has been. Instead we have the view that:

He's just not a good player. Never has been and never will be. A 6 month purple patch doesn't change that. Look at players like Michu. We need to sell him while some people still think he's a good player and it's the club holding him back.

It really is astonishing how people will go out of their way to support the shiny new toy, whilst running down the players who have actually been our best performers over the past few years at every opportunity.
Marcus Rashford is 26 entering his prime and is meant to be the star of this team. It's not a fair comparison in a any way.

mctrials23

Rashford has been at the club for years, is entering his prime, is just coming off a great scoring season, mopes around the pitch pretending he is Mbappe and doesn't have to break into a trot unless he feels like it.

The other has just arrived at the club, has had injury issues, is still very young, has never played in the PL or with any of these guys before and busts his guts every game.

Yeah, I cannot fathom why the two of them would be treated any differently.

Hughes35

Firstly that doesn't add up. I used purely goals for Hojlund so why would you use both goals and assist for Rashford? Rashford's goals only for this season would be one every 4.55 games.

Then add in that Rashford has been here years so we have a much bigger sample of work to make our assessment off....... And also, just because I don't rate Rashford doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have different opinions of other players.

lex talionis

We all agree Rasmus been starved for service. But why? The finger has to be pointed directly at Bruno and Marcus, who refuse to abandon their gloryball instincts.

Marcus laid the ball off nicely for Rasmus early in the match and a glorious goal ensued. But after that Rasmus never saw the ball again.

It’s not all at his teammates as Rasmus does need to develop a better sense of where play is developing, but Bruno and Marcus have been fukking him over

next_number_seven

We all agree Rasmus been starved for service. But why? The finger has to be pointed directly at Bruno and Marcus, who refuse to abandon their gloryball instincts.

Marcus laid the ball off nicely for Rasmus early in the match and a glorious goal ensued. But after that Rasmus never saw the ball again.

It’s not all at his teammates as Rasmus does need to develop a better sense of where play is developing, but Bruno and Marcus have been fukking him over
Rashford didn't lay the ball off. He ran into traffic like he always does and got tackled and the ball broke to Rasmus.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Rashford has been here for 8 fecking years, is one of the top earners at the club, and again has been here for 8 years while having objectively 2 good seasons.

If you can't understand why Hojlund is given more slack currently than Rashford I don't know what to tell you. This isn't Ryan Giggs on the wing that people are slating while being the model of consistency

Winrar

I thought Bruno was one of the most creative players in the league according to statistics? What happened to that?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
If the most creative player in the league isn’t creating chances for one player, what do you think the most likely explanation is?
Probably that they are yet to form a connection playing in an overall terrible team which is struggling badly for game control. Given time Rasmus and Bruno will connect because as you right point out Bruno creates chances for fun and has connected well with previous strikers. I think at the moment it’s just instinct and forming relationships. Hojland has good sharp movement, but he isn’t really aware of what he teammates are going to do (to be fair in some cases thats because even they don’t know…). At some stage he will realise when Bruno gets the ball he needs to be moving quickly into half spaces and Bruno will pick him out. I’m confident it will click at some stage for him.

RatPack

If the most creative player in the league isn’t creating chances for one player, what do you think the most likely explanation is?
These stats include Bruno passing 5 yards to Rashford and Rashford shooting from 40 yards.
Need statistics looking at 100% chances created compared to the No. of tries.
Dont think Bruno will rank well.

Doracle

Probably that they are yet to form a connection playing in an overall terrible team which is struggling badly for game control. Given time Rasmus and Bruno will connect because as you right point out Bruno creates chances for fun and has connected well with previous strikers. I think at the moment it’s just instinct and forming relationships. Hojland has good sharp movement, but he isn’t really aware of what he teammates are going to do (to be fair in some cases thats because even they don’t know…). At some stage he will realise when Bruno gets the ball he needs to be moving quickly into half spaces and Bruno will pick him out. I’m confident it will click at some stage for him.
Yeah, agree with all of that. Just felt it was a bit harsh to suggest Bruno wasn’t finding him because Bruno is “selfish”. My view is the main issue currently is Hojlund being a bit raw with his movement and sometimes being half a step behind the game. Agree though that there is definitely potential there so hopefully it will click soon.

I also think his role seems somewhat confused. Is his primary role to run in behind and try and stretch the game? Is he laying it off to get into the box and get on the end of non-existent crosses? He is dropping off and having a creative role? It kind of feels at the moment that no one is really sure what he’s primarily meant to be doing and it’s more a case of just throwing him in and hoping it all comes together.

Newport County 2:4 Man Utd

L1nk

Any point in being a striker in this team? Lead the line, created chances, only way he scores a goal is battling and scrapping because that's another goal he's scored himself with no pass from a team mate. Good to see him actually get angry and frustrated at the lack of service

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That's a 9/10 center forward performance. Scored a scrappy goal, and could have 3 assists if others were more clinical.

laughtersassassin

4 goals and assists in last 3 games I think.

Pretty decent that.

Should have had 1 or 2 assists today as well

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Scored despite no one being able or chosing to pass to him. Fair play to losing his shit with Garnacho.

Foolsgold21

8 goals now, in that team, is actually pretty good going.

Says it all that he scored with his only shot.

I think he has a chance of ‘actually’ being a good signing for a change.

Bobski

Dis some very good things and then moments when the ball was a stranger to him. That needs to improve but he has every right to be pissed at the decision making from Garnacho especially today.

Sylar

He's making less runs I see cos he knows he's not gonna get the ball. It's so weird that some of our players refuse to play it to him early. Why have him in the team if we aren't playing to have him score.

That one sequence where garnacho could have put him in one on one but instead held it then put it wide was maddening

Glad he scored and got a goal. Some of his hold up stuff and bringing a chance for others was good.
People are writing him off but he's 20. He shouldn't be our lead striker but he is, in this dysfunctional team

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It’s actually annoying to see that the wide players would rather try and work a chance for themselves than play it in to him

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He's making less runs I see cos he knows he's not gonna get the ball. It's so weird that some of our players refuse to play it to him early. Why have him in the team if we aren't playing to have him score.

That one sequence where garnacho could have put him in one on one but instead held it then put it wide was maddening

Glad he scored and got a goal. Some of his hold up stuff and bringing a chance for others was good.
People are writing him off but he's 20. He shouldn't be our lead striker but he is, in this dysfunctional team
I have noticed how Hojlund has basically given up on getting good balls into the channel as of late. A bit sad to see, honestly. Still, you can't blame him. May as well conserve his energy. He plays in a team where everyone else wants to make things for themselves not for him.

Glad he got a goal in the end. He deserved it after grafting up top without a prayer of getting the ball played into him, over and over and over.

It must feel like a punishment to play at centre forward in this team.

flameinthesun

Took his goal well. Outside of that he made good runs however, his hold up play has really been lacking lately. Fair enough he's not getting chances so I'm not expecting him to score loads of goals but the amount of times he just gets outmuscled or takes a heavy touch is not great. Effectively makes him invisible for large parts of the game.

mintyred

Rashford is as much a victim of how Hojlund plays as Hojlund is of how Rashford plays. The attack has fallen apart because the attackers are not compatible.

With a striker who is comfortable dropping deep and who knows how to bring other attackers into play, Rashford would be better.

Just as Hojlund might be better with a winger who's better at crossing or looks to play the striker in early.
Here we go, just as he was a victim of Ronaldo. Maybe he should play by himself if he’s not compatible with anyone.

Irwin99

Better second half and some good link up play. Feel for him sometimes when no one squares the ball to him for an easy tap in.

Also, we can update his goals tally on here. He has 8 goals not 5 :D

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
People are desperate to slate this kid because of the price tag.
He recieves nothing and is surrounded by morons on both wings. 5 of his 8 goals he had to create all by himself.

Really, the criticism he gets is frustrating and extremely annoying.

In a proper team he'd alrady have at least 15.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Don’t really understand the stick he gets. I just think there’s a good portion of people who don’t appreciate that a striker is only as good as the service into them. Kane would still play well as he gets on the ball more, but people who think Osimen would do well in this side are dreaming.

neon_badger

The fact that he receives such poor service might actually benefit him in the long run, he seems to be adapting and learning to fight for goals as apposed to those players who just tuck away tap ins put on a plate for them, we're unintentionally creating a player that finds goals from nowhere his goal today was very impressive due to it being his first shot on target and came from a nothing chance, whereas his teammates seem to require 5 to 10 opportunities per goal.

Last edited:

The Purley King

The 2nd goal that Newport scored, bread and butter for a centre forward.
When do we do that? First time cross along the 6 yard box?
He’ll score plenty but he gets next to no service at all…….

mu4c_20le

Said this before, but he's not the right kind of striker for ETH's system. We do not play to his strengths. Add to the fact that he's still young and technically very raw, trying to adapt to a much higher level at a big club, then it's understandable that he will struggle. He's not a back to goal type of striker, and probably never will be. We can only hope the next manager can utilize him to his best, or move him on.

RuudTom83

Shouldn't really take a full season for the penny to drop with the wide players...but while they are forever going it alone! we need to be patient with Hojlund.

He is doing very well for a 20 year old kid...8 goals now and if he can get to 15 by the end of the season it will be a minor miracle.

Keep going Hojlund!