Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's the dumbest argument on all sides of the spectrum when you consider that multiple players both inside and outside the Premier League over the years have had terrible seasons of scoring little to no goals only for them to come good the next season

I'm just glad I only have to read your opinion on an internet forum and not have you as our manager or part of our recruitment and backroom staff, though you seem to think you know what we need more than them.
Exactly, made same point few days back, our rivals haven't signed some goal scoring machines as CF as they are not available and also there aren't many. It's better to take risk on unproven kid who might have lot of potential and also attributes to lead the line rather than proven average striker.

Face of the rebuild? Go one step and say he will be the face of the club and will be given 10% of the club's shares too.

Also which rivals will be pissing themselves? The Liverpool team that trusted CF who scored 10 and 11 league goals for them? Who also played key role in their CL and league campaigns.

Or Arsenal who signed CF who scored 8 and 9 league goals in last 2 seasons and then ended up scoring 11 league goals.

Or Newcastle who signed CF who scored 8, 14, 8, 6, 5 league goals before they signed him, signed CF for big fee who scored 6 league goals last season when they signed them and scored 6, 17, 9 league goals in la liga and 0 in Bundesliga.

It's not like our rival teams have signed CFs who scored shit loads of goals. There are only few CFs who scores lot of goals, few of them are not available to sign for us for various reasons and few of them are not good enough for various reasons like play style, age.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What point are you making? Half of the players you listed would score twice as many goals against Serie A's crap defending. Chris Smalling is one of the league's best defenders and he was embarrassing in the Premier League.
What? :lol:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Wait..you surely don't mean to tell me that the market fluctuates? That players prices rise and fall depending on supply and demand!? That inflation and other economic factors play a part in this!?

I can assure you nobody is crying, I know you obviously are because KaNe aNd OsImHeN, but what's actually going on is you're just getting pushback on your opinion because it's a very simple minded one and you're the one crying about that
If my opinion that a 20 year old with 20 appearances and 9 goals is not the best way to goal scoring problems is simple minded then I’ll happily remain simple minded

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Its harder to score in the Premier League than it is in Serie A. That's not a myth.
What is the base of that statement? Keeping in mind that statistically last season the PL registered more goals per game.

L1nk

If my opinion that a 20 year old with 20 appearances and 9 goals is not the best way to goal scoring problems is simple minded then I’ll happily remain simple minded
Then, as I said before, it's a good thing ETH and our recruitment team are not.

BuzzKillington

I think my logic is fairly explainable in that sometimes you have to overpay. All clubs overpay in some scenarios and get better deals in others. Context matters. There is a time to play hardball and I'm not sure it's when you have no strikers that are regularly available and you're telling the manager that his only play is to get a mediocre loan player or make do with what he's got. That is not what I'd call a plan worth the name, it looks more like self sabotage.

It's not great but sometimes you have to go above and beyond. The problem with Antony was he doesn't look especially good. As ever, if the assessment is correct the fee is largely rendered an insignificant detail. Of course 70 million euros is a lot for where Hojlund is at but I still think it's the preferable plan to what you're suggesting as ultimately it strengthens us in a key position according to the managers vision whereas you're simply telling him to get on with it and get any old rubbish in.

What would be a plan is to have alternative options that are actually wanted by the recruitment team and the manager. Then look at negotiating them and playing Atalanta against that. But eventually a judgment call has to be made as to whether you're really getting any better value than simply getting the prime target and it also has the potential to waste a shit load of time that would be valuable to bed a striker into our setup.
My question would be whether Hojlund actually strengthens us and what he’s actually strengthening.

If we stick him up top rather than Rashford is he likely to score more goals then Rashford? Personally I’d say no from what I’ve seen of him and his stats.

If that’s the case, he’s essentially going to be backup. €70m is a lot for a player that just provides strength in depth. City can afford to do that and we could probably do if we had new owners. But we don’t as per this moment and the way it’s currently looking it doesn’t look guaranteed that we will anytime soon, so you play the cards you currently have.

There’s a price point at which Hojlund makes sense, but overpaying to give the manager what he wants is exactly the logic that led to us paying €100m for Antony. A few extra week’s training with the team pre-season isn’t going to make him a significantly better player, or good value for the prices currently being quoted.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What is the base of that statement? Keeping in mind that statistically last season the PL registered more goals per game.
The style of football in the Premier League is going to be built for more goals, but the quality is the difference here. Serie A mid table and lower end quality isnt the same.

BuzzKillington

Ah yes, save money, get in a random striker on loan like Weghorst so you can whine two games into the season and all the way till it ends.

Or we could get in a highly rated young striker who has quickly adapted to every league he's moved to, is on a progressive trajectory, doing well for his country and is a United fan?

But nah, let's save €60m and pray a striker talent (ironically) show up in the next years.

What do you expect? A striker to appear out of nowhere and be Kane level? Where do you think these strikers come from?
I think new players arrive all the time. It’s kind of the nature of football. They didn’t stop making good strikers at some fixed point in time.

Let’s keep our powder dry and use it when somebody good who actually fits the brief arrives/announces themselves. In the mean time we can sign any striker not called Wout Weghorst or Anthony Martial as a short term fix and we’ll be strengthened from where we were. WW was probably the worst number 9 in the premier league last season. Literally anybody else would have been an improvement.

JPRouve

Scout
The style of football in the Premier League is going to be built for more goals, but the quality is the difference here. Serie A mid table and lower end quality isnt the same.
Or it's easier for players to score goals in the PL due to higher overall quality or style? Because the point that you are trying to make is closer to a myth than the factual statement that teams have found scoring goals easier in the PL if we use the most recent season as an example.

Lyng

My question would be whether Hojlund actually strengthens us and what he’s actually strengthening.

If we stick him up top rather than Rashford is he likely to score more goals then Rashford?
I am quite certain he will. The one issue Rashford has is that he is almost never in the right spot in the box, which is also why he is so much more prolific on the wing. Højlunds strength is his runs into the box and being at the right spot.
The one thing we really lack is someone to receive the service into the box, and this is where Højlund is really good. He gets more service for Denmark then Atalanta which is also why he scores more per 90 for Denmark than Atalanta.

OsloRed

If we stick him up top rather than Rashford is he likely to score more goals then Rashford? Personally I’d say no from what I’ve seen of him and his stats.

If that’s the case, he’s essentially going to be backup. €70m is a lot for a player that just provides strength in depth. City can afford to do that and we could probably do if we had new owners. But we don’t as per this moment and the way it’s currently looking it doesn’t look guaranteed that we will anytime soon, so you play the cards you currently have.

There’s a price point at which Hojlund makes sense, but overpaying to give the manager what he wants is exactly the logic that led to us paying €100m for Antony. A few extra week’s training with the team pre-season isn’t going to make him a significantly better player, or good value for the prices currently being quoted.
We'd rather have Rashford on the left, hence why we're looking to sign a striker. Or do you think we'll play Rashford up top this season with Højlund as back-up for that position? I don't. Some games sure, when that suits the opposition, but part of why people are exited about Højlund is the lack of a player of his profile in our squad. Would it be better if he was a couple of years older and further along in his development? Yes, but then we probably wouldn't be able to afford him this summer.

I've said it before, as has several other people, but a player like him should help the team as a whole. Our other attackers, like Sancho and Antony, should see their numbers rise when they have a player of Højlund's profile to play off of. His numbers if we get him might not be the most impressive in his first season, but him along with the other signings we have done should se our general play improve a fair bit. And our numbers as a team.

Abraxas

He might not score more than Rashford would in a central position but I'm not sure that's the point because unless we clone Rashford he can only play in one position. The majority of his goals were scored from the left. When you move Rashford you're really just rearranging deck chairs in terms of our goalscoring composition, it's not going to necessarily add more goals to the team because then we have to turn to Sancho or Garnacho out wide who are not close to the same level of threat. Hojlund is by far a more noted goalscorer than those lads and he's also an out and out striker that offers something to our options.

I don't see him as a backup. He'd have to outcompete Martial, but that's only when he's actually available and only when he's actually playing well - two things that don't coincide particularly often. I'm not sure why you would be concerned about him being a backup when Wout Weghorst received notable game time. The manager sees a clear gap for a central striker.

It's pointless for me to argue 70 million wouldn't be expensive, it is. I still think sense will prevail and he'll end up here for less. But would I rather pay that then get someone mediocre on loan or get nobody? Absolutely I would. I don't know why you consider them to be palatable options. The loan market is inevitably very weak because we're not Burnley where there are players of the requisite standard, and nobody wants to loan us the ones that are. Getting nobody is just a bizarre suggestion, we have no strikers. What are we saving the money up for? One way or the other we need somebody, even if it does end up being a crappy loan. Or go for a different target on the shortlist. Saving for some unknown reason is not an option.

Conor

What point are you making? Half of the players you listed would score twice as many goals against Serie A's crap defending. Chris Smalling is one of the league's best defenders and he was embarrassing in the Premier League.
@Niall any chance we can start IQ testing for posting privileges?

r0663664

Worships Man City
I think Martial will start the season as main striker as long as he is fit. Hoijund will need to pounce when he gets the chance. If he can do that, I am sure Martial will be sitting on the bench most of the time. Hoijund is expensive but I think it is worth it for one being so young. As a Denmark International, he can't be that bad.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

He's 20. He will be depth/competition to start with. Rashford will rotate up top, martial will rotate as well. The idea is that he develops and turns into a world class CF, as he has all the necessary traits to turn into an all round top striker.

We have Rashford, Antony, Garnacho, Sancho, martial, Amad if he stays and then would add Hojlund to that group. He'll need time to develop - look at when guys like Dzeko, Lewandowski, Cavani etc (any bigger, technical striker not named Haaland) started doing anything relevant. The striker market is such that you have to spend 60m or so to get a big talent who isn't fully proven, before they are 120m+. And we are desperate for a CF, and can't afford any of the guys who are more proven, or they are just not at the right level but would cost too much anyway, or not the right type of CF. Hojlund fits the type of player and has big potential.

nainaisson

Some of the takes on here are insane. Are you seriously arguing that jesus would score twice as many goals playing for Atalanta than for Arsenal?
Serie A's minnows are terrible and would struggle to stay in England's League One. So, yes, even Jesus would look amazing in that league.

Donut

We will get him even if we have to overpay by 30 million or so. When ETH starts obsessing about a player the club pays whatever is needed.

BuzzKillington

We'd rather have Rashford on the left, hence why we're looking to sign a striker. Or do you think we'll play Rashford up top this season with Højlund as back-up for that position? I don't. Some games sure, when that suits the opposition, but part of why people are exited about Højlund is the lack of a player of his profile in our squad. Would it be better if he was a couple of years older and further along in his development? Yes, but then we probably wouldn't be able to afford him this summer.

I've said it before, as has several other people, but a player like him should help the team as a whole. Our other attackers, like Sancho and Antony, should see their numbers rise when they have a player of Højlund's profile to play off of. His numbers if we get him might not be the most impressive in his first season, but him along with the other signings we have done should se our general play improve a fair bit. And our numbers as a team.
Assuming we’re playing three up front, Hojlund is coming in at the expense of somebody.

Garnacho - Rashford - Underwhelming RW

is preferable to

Rashford - Hojlund - Underwhelming RW

at least to me. He’s not improving that front line enough to justify >€50m in my opinion.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Or it's easier for players to score goals in the PL due to higher overall quality or style? Because the point that you are trying to make is closer to a myth than the factual statement that teams have found scoring goals easier in the PL if we use the most recent season as an example.
Its not a myth. Strikers in Serie A face poorer quality defenders. Hojlund said himself that Smalling was the toughest defender hes played in the league. Scammaca's recent struggles is a good case example too.

Its not a myth that Premier League is a higher quality than Serie A. It's harder to score goals in that league than it is in Serie A.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
What‘s the point agreeing terms with him long ago and not make an offer then? We better hurry before PSG offers oil money, whipping out his United love
We've made a few informal offers to Atalanta according to Alfredo Pedullà. An opening formal offer here means that we've come to an offer that Atalanta may entertain, which is a sign progress in the negotiations.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Okay, calling him one of the league's "best defenders" was too much. What I meant was, he's reached his level in the league, which is mediocre at best.
He was never an embarrassing defender in the premier league. Had his limitations, especially on the ball but he was definitely one of better players in his position.

JPRouve

Scout
Its not a myth. Strikers in Serie A face poorer quality defenders. Hojlund said himself that Smalling was the toughest defender hes played in the league. Scammaca's recent struggles is a good case example too.

Its not a myth that Premier League is a higher quality than Serie A. It's harder to score goals in that league than it is in Serie A.
And yet teams literally score more in the PL. And Scammaca isn't a good example, he has no history of high scoring whether we are talking about Serie B, Serie A or any other league, he has one decent goalscoring season which may or may not be an outlier, he is no different to Bamford.

CG1010

Assuming we’re playing three up front, Hojlund is coming in at the expense of somebody.

is preferable to

at least to me. He’s not improving that front line enough to justify >€50m in my opinion.
Garnacho isn't ready to be a 50-game player yet. Neither is it good for his development or for the club's ambition. The underwhelming RW part is worrying though. Hope Antony and or Sancho come good.

At ST I guess we would be hoping that it would be Martial, Hojland and Rashford(20%) rotating. But martial is very unreliable obviously. So the new guy may have to play a lot which isn't very good for him either.

OsloRed

is preferable to

50 million isn't that much these days, at least not for a striker with good potential. And again, we got to think about the team as a whole, not just the front line. For one Rashford is worse as a striker than a wide attacker cutting in. Should we limit him and his contributions? We've got no one making the types of runs Højlund makes - runs that Bruno should benefit from, as well as Sancho and Antony. Runs that stretch the defense, giving room to players that will benefit hugely from that as well as a bigger presence in the box than we have had in ages should give our team more than playing Rashford there, especially given what we loose from not playing him in his favoured position.

Lyng

Serie A's minnows are terrible and would struggle to stay in England's League One. So, yes, even Jesus would look amazing in that league.
So the defenders are worse yes...but so is the rest of the team. He will get far more service at United. He is great when given the right service, hence why his goals per 90 are better for the national team then Atalanta.
I honestly dont think Jesus would score more goals at Atalanta.

Also the league one comment is just absurd.

Abraxas

Hyperbole at best, disrespectful at worst. Just total nonsense. Any Serie A side would batter League One outfits.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

It depends on lot of factors, yes PL is better quality than Serie A but players adapt differently to different play styles.

I didn't do proper check, just looking at high level stats, Morata had better mins per G+A in PL than in Serie A or other leagues. Salah too. Lukaku scored bunch of penalties, his goals + assists was more or less same if you exclude penalties.

nainaisson

He was never an embarrassing defender in the premier league. Had his limitations, especially on the ball but he was definitely one of better players in his position.
He'd look okay in a Sean Dyche or Tuny Pulis team. So, yes, in that context he wouldn't be embarrassing. I stand corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.