Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
We got our first real 9
Bought him in the Serie A
Played him til' his toenails bled
Was the summer of '55

@Plant0x84 and the muppets in the Caf
Had a thread and posted so hard.
Brownie quit and Berbaclass got banned
We should have known the Glazers wouldn't go far

Oh, when I look back now
The sale seemed to last forever
And if I had the choice
Yeah, Osimhen would be here
Those were the worst days of my life
We thought we were killing time but
We got tired and bitter as
We watched it all unwind.
Every transfer went on forever ....

noelyman

We got our first real 9
Bought him in the Serie A
Played him til' his toenails bled
Was the summer of '55

@Plant0x84 and the muppets in the Caf
Had a thread and posted so hard.
Brownie quit and Berbaclass got banned
We should have known the Glazers wouldn't go far

Oh, when I look back now
The sale seemed to last forever
And if I had the choice
Yeah, Osimhen would be here
Those were the worst days of my life
Played him till his toenails bled :lol::lol:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Keep seeing this thread at the top of the boards but nothing within to suggest this is at all a goer?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Keep seeing this thread at the top of the boards but nothing within to suggest this is at all a goer?
There’s plenty of reports to suggest it’s a goer

L1nk

He's the only striker we linked with and - from reliable reports - are in discussions with his club about. It seems quiet more than anything (for any striker) because we're trying to get Onana over the line I suspect.

Last edited:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He's the only striker we linked with and - from reliable reports - are in discussions with his club about. It seems quiet more than anything (for any striker) because we're trying to get Onana over the line I suspect.

Thanks

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Smalling has been one of the best defenders in Italy. From a purely physical defensive 1v1 point of view, there aren't many defenders as good as Smalling around. Van Djik yeah when he's fit, maybe Ruben Dias but there aren't many more.

Smalling has actually improved somewhat too at Roma, plays with more for freedom now.
Should have kept him over Maguire!
Mad how he doesn’t get picked for England

Jonty

This deal (and Onana) should have been wrapped up by now, really need these players to get a decent pre season to avoid the shit show we were served at the beginning of last season.

Adamsk7

It’ll be criminal if he doesn’t come in before the tour. He’ll be a young player with a lot on his shoulders so having a preseason with the team is critical.

which means we’ll buy him in August…..

L1nk

This deal (and Onana) should have been wrapped up by now, really need these players to get a decent pre season to avoid the shit show we were served at the beginning of last season.
I see Onana getting done by the end of the week maybe if Inter budges but I can’t see Hojlund being done for weeks, if it ever gets done. Nothing to suggest we won’t turn our attention elsewhere at this point. Hope we do sign him though

Strelok

Better idea we are going to start removing people until they have less and less forums to comment in or they find themselves banned.

NO MORE GREENWOOD TALK UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Tbh I don't have any issue with this but still find this a bit weird. I mean people discussing this all over the place and only here we can't talk about it. Till this day I still have no idea why.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Tbh I don't have any issue with this but still find this a bit weird. I mean people discussing this all over the place and only here we can't talk about it. Till this day I still have no idea why.
One word. LIBEL.

Jonty

I see Onana getting done by the end of the week maybe if Inter budges but I can’t see Hojlund being done for weeks, if it ever gets done. Nothing to suggest we won’t turn our attention elsewhere at this point. Hope we do sign him though
Same. I've only watched YouTube videos and a couple of his international games but I've been impressed with his physicality combined with his mobility, something we have been lacking. With Ten Hags and Benni McCarthy coaching him I can see him being a really asset for years to come.

The optimism is strong this time of year!

Strelok

One word. LIBEL.
I have to google for it :D

Got it but then I've seen people discussing this in many places. There're a ton of youtube clips on this matter. In Reddit, twitter, etc. you name it. Even in the comments section of some papers as well. Those are not subjected to LIBEL but an internet forum is? Still weird to me tbh.

mu4c_20le

I have to google for it :D

Got it but then I've seen people discussing this in many places. There're a ton of youtube clips on this matter. In Reddit, twitter, etc. you name it. Even in the comments section of some papers as well. Those are not subjected to LIBEL but an internet forum is? Still weird to me tbh.
Because discussing whether he should be allowed back isn't libel, it's the accusations that are the problem. I imagine the staff decided to just shut down all talk to avoid the fighting that usually results in libel.

OverratedOpinion

I'm now getting excited about this. I've been a little down on the idea as it's so much pressure for a young player who really hasn't shown much but I trust Ten Hag and it would be amazing if he is the player some smart people seem to think he will be. Having a top quality striker who is 21 or 22 would be nice after years of Van Persie, Ibra, Cavani ect where you knew they were at the tail end of their careers.

NLunited

Yeah the choice of striker is going to be a pretty big clue as to what he's thinking long term. Right now, we love our attacking transitions and putting Rashford in behind on transition is one of our biggest threats. When facing a settled defence, we're pretty shit in general. This was true under Ole and it's still true now.

Casemiro's passing is a great weapon on transitions but his radar is not accurate enough for a possession team and he's too good a player to ask him to keep it simple. Same with Bruno. Antony is the opposite - he retains possession in difficult situations, has good decision making but doesn't seem to have that attitude where he takes risks and wings it.

It seems like we want a traditional #9 - physical, good with link up, drags players around with his pace and power. We don't seem to want a pure poacher like Haaland or a technical link up player like Firmino. Maybe the dearth of these types of players plays into it too.

He seems like he's going for some sort of hybrid approach - play the ugly transition game against big sides and yet retain the technical quality to bypass most average sides?
We have created tons of chances, our finishing has been disappointing. There is a chasm between our expected goals and goals.

Antony‘s decision making needs work, but you are right about him retaining possession.

Our transition game is not ugly, it is a thing of beauty. A succesful counterattack is awesome.

Lost bear

He was never a bad defender anyway, and he's very experienced now. He'd give any young striker a hard time.

His main weakness was on the ball, not off it. He wasn't press resistant at all, and wasn't a ball playing CB in any way.
Having watched him at Roma, I’d say his passing is much better than it was alleged to be in the premiership. People tend to see what they expect to see.

dubplate warrior

I'm now getting excited about this. I've been a little down on the idea as it's so much pressure for a young player who really hasn't shown much but I trust Ten Hag and it would be amazing if he is the player some smart people seem to think he will be. Having a top quality striker who is 21 or 22 would be nice after years of Van Persie, Ibra, Cavani ect where you knew they were at the tail end of their careers.
Let's see, I think at the least we will have a structure and he'll link play well, whilst making those lung bursting runs to get a scruffy tap in.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He looks fast against slow defenders.
He looks clinical if you only look at videos of him scoring goals.
He looks tenacious against players who are sleep walking.
And if you sign him he'd take a big burden larger than what Depay used to have (and we know how that end up)

And for those reasons, I'm out. Just because Haaland is successful doesn't mean Hojlund is going to be the same. On top of that we have players that are at their peak/near decline like Casemiro, Bruno, Varane. The new CF should be able to contribute a lot almost instantly (and Hojlund will need time, plenty of it), we don't have the luxury of waiting 2-3 years, if we want to challenge this and next year are the best time to do so before we have to replace Casemiro and Varane.

For 60 million, might as well add a bit more and get Osimhen.

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Why we did we get rid of him if he’s so good? He’s suited more to a back 3 I think.
Tbf it does no players any good when we keep changing managers and their different philosophies. Hopefully, we will see a new stable, measured approach under Murtough -- and not for preserving asset values.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
And if you sign him he'd take a big burden larger than what Depay used to have (and we know how that end up)

And for those reasons, I'm out. Just because Haaland is successful doesn't mean Hojlund is going to be the same. On top of that we have players that are at their peak/near decline like Casemiro, Bruno, Varane. The new CF should be able to contribute a lot almost instantly (and Hojlund will need time, plenty of it), we don't have the luxury of waiting 2-3 years, if we want to challenge this and next year are the best time to do so before we have to replace Casemiro and Varane.

He does the 100 in 11sec. So he is pretty fast.

Mr Smith

Why we did we get rid of him if he’s so good? He’s suited more to a back 3 I think.
He's not good on the ball, which he gets away with a lot more in Italy, and especially under Mourinho. Same reason he's not picked for England.

noelyman

A bit more than 60 million might just get you Osimhen's left leg. We need a 2 legged player ideally.

Lyng

He is fast. Full stop.
He is clinical because he is (especially for his age) excellent at finding the right place to be. He is always searching for the right spot in the box, something we desperately lack.
He is tenacious. Full stop.

Bruno would love a Højlund given he would finally have someone at the end of his passes in the box.

The idea that we only need to add a bit more to get Osimhen is so incredibly daft its almost impressive. If that was possible we would be buying Osimhen. Ten Hag isnt stupid.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
A bit more than 60 million might just get you Osimhen's left leg.
I doubt it.
The idea that we only need to add a bit more to get Osimhen is so incredibly daft its almost impressive. If that was possible we would be buying Osimhen. Ten Hag isnt stupid.
60 million (a big part of our striker budget) for a kid and put a huge expectations on his shoulders is definitely daft. You lot will be calling for his head the moment he struggles in Premier League. Just like any other young talents we brought in. His output hasn't been impressive WHICH means this is the kind of player that needs time and development to even be considered a good CF in PL. Tell me what happened to Weghorst, people get excited over his workrate, etc, everyday you see a new chant for him until they find out he doesn't score goals (not saying Hojlund will be that bad but the point remains, it's easy to get excited over something but we really need to think it through) then they turn into hating him. We need a close to finished/finished product up front that can finish those chances.

Edit: just noticed you are from Denmark. Understandable.

Lyng

I doubt it.

60 million (a big part of our striker budget) for a kid and put a huge expectations on his shoulders is definitely daft. You lot will be calling for his head the moment he struggles in Premier League. Just like any other young talents we brought in. His output hasn't been impressive WHICH means this is the kind of player that needs time and development to even be considered a good CF in PL. Tell me what happened to Weghorst, people get excited over his hardwork, etc until they find out he doesn't score goals (not saying Hojlund will be that bad but the point remains) then they turn into hating him. We need a close to finished/finished product up front.
Who would you sign instead that is better and more ready for that price? And dont start with Osimhen again, he will be 130 minimum.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Who would you sign instead that is better and more ready for that price? And dont start with Osimhen again, he will be 130 minimum.
Even if Osimhen costs 130, I'd still go for him instead. Call me crazy but it's such a crucial position in a crucial moment (Casemiro and Varane are nearing their decline) that makes me rather spend stupid money on top player than half or less than half for a talent that needs a lot of time to bed in. Both are stupid spending in accordance to what you get anyway. Whoever you sign we'd be ripped off.

If Kane and Osimhen aren't available. Then I'd go for Jonathan David from Lille instead, 26 goals 4 assists last season. And he scored 3 in 8 in the Champions league the season prior. Even if he costs the same, he has proven to be a more productive player, which we should be really focusing on.. considering.. you know our CFs are absolutely pathetic last season and had they scored more we would have won more points, it's that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.