Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyng

Even if Osimhen costs 130, I'd still go for him instead. Call me crazy but it's such a crucial position in a crucial moment (Casemiro and Varane are nearing their decline) that makes me rather spend stupid money on top player than half or less than half for a talent that needs a lot of time to bed in. Both are stupid spending in accordance to what you get anyway. Whoever you sign we'd be ripped off.

If Kane and Osimhen aren't available. Then I'd go for Jonathan David from Lille instead, 26 goals 4 assists last season. And he scored 3 in 8 in the Champions league the season prior. Even if he costs the same, he has proven to be a more productive player, which we should be really focusing on.. considering.. you know our CFs are absolutely pathetic last season and had they scored more we would have won more points, it's that simple.
I would love if we signed Jonathan. But he would also cost alot more. I know transfermarkt has him at 60 but that would never be our price. My guess would be about 90.
And the issue for me isnt that I want us to save money. I would prefer us to buy Osimhen just like you, but its pretty clear we have clear budget constraints this season.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I've no idea how good that is, to be honest. Do we know how quick any of our current squad can run it?
I think Rashford is that level. We had a couple of academy players who were proper rapid. But they never quite made it to the 1st team.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Even if Osimhen costs 130, I'd still go for him instead. Call me crazy but it's such a crucial position in a crucial moment (Casemiro and Varane are nearing their decline) that makes me rather spend stupid money on top player than half or less than half for a talent that needs a lot of time to bed in. Both are stupid spending in accordance to what you get anyway. Whoever you sign we'd be ripped off.

If Kane and Osimhen aren't available. Then I'd go for Jonathan David from Lille instead, 26 goals 4 assists last season. And he scored 3 in 8 in the Champions league the season prior. Even if he costs the same, he has proven to be a more productive player, which we should be really focusing on.. considering.. you know our CFs are absolutely pathetic last season and had they scored more we would have won more points, it's that simple.
Whatever the reason (ffp, stingy owners, the sale), the fact remains we don’t have the budget to spend 130m on one striker with a bunch of sales

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Whatever the reason (ffp, stingy owners, the sale), the fact remains we don’t have the budget to spend 130m on one striker with a bunch of sales
I have this tiny bit of hope that it can change if the club has a new owner. Although my point remains, if I need a PS5 but can't afford to buy one, doesn't mean I'll go around looking to buy a PS2. That just seems like a waste of money.

Brightonian

He looks fast against slow defenders.
He looks clinical if you only look at videos of him scoring goals.
He looks tenacious against players who are sleep walking.
And if you sign him he'd take a big burden larger than what Depay used to have (and we know how that end up)

And for those reasons, I'm out. Just because Haaland is successful doesn't mean Hojlund is going to be the same. On top of that we have players that are at their peak/near decline like Casemiro, Bruno, Varane. The new CF should be able to contribute a lot almost instantly (and Hojlund will need time, plenty of it), we don't have the luxury of waiting 2-3 years, if we want to challenge this and next year are the best time to do so before we have to replace Casemiro and Varane.

For 60 million, might as well add a bit more and get Osimhen.
No, you'd have to double it. Rumoured price at which Napoli might consider selling Osimhen is £120.

That's the point. You're right that a guaranteed 25-goal striker right now is what we need. But there isn't one out that that we can afford. Hojlund is a good option because he has world-class potential, he looks a good fit for Ten Hag's system, and he could go on and score 20 this season, if we're lucky. That's the best that we can afford.

Brightonian

I have this tiny bit of hope that it can change if the club has a new owner. Although my point remains, if I need a PS5 but can't afford to buy one, doesn't mean I'll go around looking to buy a PS2. That just seems like a waste of money.
But if you need a car to get to work (a better example because a games console is a luxury but a centre-forward is a necessity), and you can't afford a Ferrari, you'll get yourself a little run-around that will do the job.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
That's not what they're doing though. A ps2 would be keeping Weghorst. A better analogy would be investing in the next bit of technology instead.

golden_blunder

Staff
Even if the club got a new owner they still need to pass the PL owners test. You may as well forget this transfer window it is what it is.

your comparison doesn’t work for me. We have no striker and if the plan is Hojlund then I trust that ETH and the team have had enough looks at him to think that there is something there to work with.
have watched him a bit for Denmark and seems like a good choice outside of the elite level. He’s one who will explode and be worth more next season, so either we buy now like many of you have been bed wetting for, or we overpay next year

Alan Partridge

But if you need a car to get to work (a better example because a games console is a luxury but a centre-forward is a necessity), and you can't afford a Ferrari, you'll get yourself a little run-around that will do the job.
With the added chance that the little run-around will grow into a Ferrari. What’s not to like?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Hojlund may surprise us, he may get 20+ league goals. People are forgetting we have better players than Atalanta, we have Bruno, Eriksen, Rashford and now Mount who will all create tons of chances each game for the ST.

You're not going to win any races though are you.

I doubt many of us know Hojlund beyond highlights so I won't say much on him, but if Ten Hag wants him I'd trust that. So far all his signings have been decent and he fits the profile of the link up striker we need.

Dr. StrangeHate

No, you'd have to double it. Rumoured price at which Napoli might consider selling Osimhen is £120.

That's the point. You're right that a guaranteed 25-goal striker right now is what we need. But there isn't one out that that we can afford. Hojlund is a good option because he has world-class potential, he looks a good fit for Ten Hag's system, and he could go on and score 20 this season, if we're lucky. That's the best that we can afford.
Considering Rice went for 105, 120 for Osimhen seems cheap. I know it sounds silly but in this market I expect Osimhen to be 140-150. Halaand and Mbappe are the 200 mark.

zaafi

You're saying this as if Osimhen in PL is some absolute sure case? It isn't, not even close. He is a more experienced and accomplished striker than Højlund, but for £130m, that'd be a huge gamble. He is not world class and has major flaws to his game.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
And if you sign him he'd take a big burden larger than what Depay used to have (and we know how that end up)

And for those reasons, I'm out. Just because Haaland is successful doesn't mean Hojlund is going to be the same. On top of that we have players that are at their peak/near decline like Casemiro, Bruno, Varane. The new CF should be able to contribute a lot almost instantly (and Hojlund will need time, plenty of it), we don't have the luxury of waiting 2-3 years, if we want to challenge this and next year are the best time to do so before we have to replace Casemiro and Varane.

Ask yourself honestly, who else could we really get this summer with “a bit more” than 60m?

What are the options?

tidraKS

The ones who say we should sign Osimhen even for 130 million pounds. You know that Osimhen also had only one really good season? The two season before he scored 14 and 10 league goals. It's not that Osimhen is in Benzema's or Lewa's league. He's not proven, has a lot of flaws in his game and he could fail same as Hojlund. He's also quite injury prone.

In my opinion, I see a higher bar on Hojlund. Many of you for sure will disagree, but he excites me more than Osimhen.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Hojlund returned 0.44 non-penalty goals per 90 last season. David returned 0.40. So Hojlund was in fact the slightly more productive goalscorer from open play. He also had slightly better underlying stats.

David just played more minutes and scored 10 penalties to boost his goals tally.

yamo123x

What the hell is going on?

Going into pre-season without a reocgnised GK and striker. The manager is being hung out to dry by this board.
Whilst Hojlund has potential he is not a starter, he wasnt a starter for Atalanta but we still seem to make everything so long winded.

sglowrider

Going into pre-season without a reocgnised GK and striker. The manager is being hung out to dry by this board.
Whilst Hojlund has potential he is not a starter, he wasnt a starter for Atalanta but we still seem to make everything so long winded.
There is a budget to work with. Each buy has a knock on effect. So we need to be prudent on how much we spend. Nothing to do with hanging out the manager. Crist how many here would have chosen Mount as the 1st buy? It's clearly the manager's choice.

Everyone brought in so far has been to his design with the exception of Casemiro instead of FdJ. I bet all previous united managers are envious of ETH for the level of support.

sglowrider

Who would you sign instead that is better and more ready for that price? And dont start with Osimhen again, he will be 130 minimum.
Tbf our amad scored more goals that hojlund as a RW.

Both are the same age?

But I still think we need to get him.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think they'll negotiate at 120m GBP, which is around 140m euros, i'd think. De Laurentiis is a tough negotiator, no doubt, but that 200m euro figure is unrealistic but either a negotiation tactic to scare off suitors or a ploy to start gathering interest. Not sure anyone would offer anywhere near 200m euros, but stranger things have happened. De Laurentiis have priced many players out of the market before (Koulibaly in his prime, etc).

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Does it really matter if it's a bit late if he gets Onana? He's worked directly with him before and plays exactly how he wants us to play, hardly going to take much bedding in.

He's also clearly sanctioned us focussing on the mount transfer first, so it's his own fault if anything.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
That's not what they're doing though. A ps2 would be keeping Weghorst. A better analogy would be investing in the next bit of technology instead.
Even if the club got a new owner they still need to pass the PL owners test. You may as well forget this transfer window it is what it is.

your comparison doesn’t work for me. We have no striker and if the plan is Hojlund then I trust that ETH and the team have had enough looks at him to think that there is something there to work with.
have watched him a bit for Denmark and seems like a good choice outside of the elite level. He’s one who will explode and be worth more next season, so either we buy now like many of you have been bed wetting for, or we overpay next year
Ask yourself honestly, who else could we really get this summer with “a bit more” than 60m?

What are the options?
Hojlund is obviously much much better than nothing, that is an extreme comparison. But personally if we're going this route, I'd go for Jonathan David first and make Hojlund 2nd or even 3rd behind Kolo Muani. Reading the papers Jonathan in the similar price range as Hojlund and have a bit more experience (been at Lille since 2020 while Hojlund is only 20 and been at Atlanta for 1 year). If players turn into a world beater and we're missing on them, that's life, you can't have all the talents. But this club cannot afford and should not overpay without too much considerations anymore, hence going for the safer route in picking players. Seeing the price tag for Hojlund makes Mount looks a very good deal to me, PL proven, CL winner, multiple PoTY for his club. And to think people were complaining when we signed him...

If Hojlund comes, I'd have no problem with that. However he can't be the only CF we put all our expectations into. 20 years old, after his first season ever at a high level. It just doesn't make sense to me. And for the price tag it's such a massive gamble.

golden_blunder

Staff
Haven’t they been having contract renewal talks anyway? I suspect he will sign a new contract there with a release clause

Oldyella

Tbf it does no players any good when we keep changing managers and their different philosophies. Hopefully, we will see a new stable, measured approach under Murtough -- and not for preserving asset values.
Also, I don't think we actively tried to sell him, he just asked wanted a move as he wanted game time and the club didn't stand in his way.

One of those transfers where it worked out for everyone, player and both clubs(although I think we would have got more out of him than Maguire personally)

golden_blunder

Staff
Hojlund is obviously much much better than nothing, that is an extreme comparison. But personally if we're going this route, I'd go for Jonathan David first and make Hojlund 2nd or even 3rd behind Kolo Muani. Reading the papers Jonathan in the similar price range as Hojlund and have a bit more experience (been at Lille since 2020 while Hojlund is only 20 and been at Atlanta for 1 year). If players turn into a world beater and we're missing on them, that's life, you can't have all the talents. But this club cannot afford and should not overpay without too much considerations anymore, hence going for the safer route in picking players. Seeing the price tag for Hojlund makes Mount looks a very good deal to me, PL proven, CL winner, multiple PoTY for his club. And to think people were complaining when we signed him...

If Hojlund comes, I'd have no problem with that. However if he can't be the only CF we rely all our expectations into. 20 years old, after his first season ever at a high level. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Whereas David to me doesn’t scream anything more than an average to good striker. I can’t see it with him. He would do well at Brentford or somewhere that could play to his strengths.

muani is more of a martial type. They seem like different profiles to me

Ish

Lights on for Luke

I think prices being quoted are just bobbins and tbf to the current board, I don't think it's all on them. They're paying the price for the idiocy of the previous board (trying to clear out deadwood on massive contracts and FFP restrictions due to "historic" purchases) and currently the uncertainty around the ownership.

Budgets are limited and we're going to have to start moving players on to bring in both a GK and a CF, as a minimum.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Whereas David to me doesn’t scream anything more than an average to good striker. I can’t see it with him. He would do well at Brentford or somewhere that could play to his strengths.
Same goes for me with Hojlund. I can be wrong of course. I didn't watch Atlanta but in the highlights I don't see anything special with him. Good talent, yes, but not very productive in a league where Lukaku thrive.
muani is more of a martial type. They seem like different profiles to me
Agreed. And Ten Hag has praised Martial multiple times when he was fit. Ten Hag has worked with different kind of CFs though. So I guess we'll see if he's really interested in Hojlund or is it just media riding on the back of Mr.Whatshisname going to the other side.

golden_blunder

Staff
Same goes for me with Hojlund. I can be wrong of course. I didn't watch Atlanta but in the highlights I don't see anything special with him. Good talent, yes, but not very productive in a league where Lukaku thrive.

Agreed. And Ten Hag has praised Martial multiple times when he was fit. Ten Hag has worked with different kind of CFs though. So I guess we'll see if he's really interested in Hojlund or is it just media riding on the back of Mr.Whatshisname going to the other side.
But also the league where Oshimen has thrived this year :p

Revan

Assumptionman
Why is Napoli president such an attention seeking loudmouth though.
Italian Levi.

I like Osimehn but he is not affordable, especially not right now. Like with Kane, we should look elsewhere (no idea if this kid is good enough to lead us though).

L1nk

Can't take posts like this seriously when you offer up no viable alternative and think we can get Osimhen for a little bit more han 60mill. Completely detached from reality.

Trex

Italian Levi.

I like Osimehn but he is not affordable, especially not right now. Like with Kane, we should look elsewhere (no idea if this kid is good enough to lead us though).
I love Osimhen but aside from the price he's very much like Haaland in that he's very much on the periphery most games.
Hojlund isn't any close to him currently but looks like he'll develop into an all rounder which I think suit our offensive line better.
Boehly will do well to throw money at Osimhen. He's the sort of signing that could bring life back to Chelsea.

Strelok

(no idea if this kid is good enough to lead us though).
Imo it's pretty safe to say he's not atm. But he might be. Let's trust ETH I think. Hope ETH doesn't think like better have someone than no one. And Atlanta would stop being too greedy.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Can't take posts like this seriously when you offer up no viable alternative and think we can get Osimhen for a little bit more han 60mill. Completely detached from reality.
I have offered alternatives but yeah in another post.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

If Hojlund comes, I'd have no problem with that. However he can't be the only CF we put all our expectations into. 20 years old, after his first season ever at a high level. It just doesn't make sense to me. And for the price tag it's such a massive gamble.
Well I am not against your suggestion, both Jonathan David and Muani look decent choice to me too. But from reports they would both cost 80m, and considering the fact we have been struggle abit to pay up 60m asking price for Hojlund (our current offer is around 45m according to report), they would be even harder for us to pursue.

Bottom line is, whoever ETH think suit us most, we should go for that player, given that he is within our budget. And sounds like Hojlund is the one ETH wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.