Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraxas

Even if Osimhen costs 130, I'd still go for him instead. Call me crazy but it's such a crucial position in a crucial moment (Casemiro and Varane are nearing their decline) that makes me rather spend stupid money on top player than half or less than half for a talent that needs a lot of time to bed in. Both are stupid spending in accordance to what you get anyway. Whoever you sign we'd be ripped off.

If Kane and Osimhen aren't available. Then I'd go for Jonathan David from Lille instead, 26 goals 4 assists last season. And he scored 3 in 8 in the Champions league the season prior. Even if he costs the same, he has proven to be a more productive player, which we should be really focusing on.. considering.. you know our CFs are absolutely pathetic last season and had they scored more we would have won more points, it's that simple.
This is great in fantasy land, I don't think anyone would disagree that Kane and Osimhen would be more proven ready made options.

Unfortunately back on planet earth it's less to do with availability and more to do with the money isn't there. We have every indication that after a keeper, the budget for a striker is a pretty hard 50/60million. I think that's extremely obvious because firstly we have Hojlund top of the list which would be unusual with a more flexible budget, and secondly there are reports we have to sell to pursue other positions beyond this.

So really Kane, Osimhen, guys like Ramos are not even in the equation so it's largely irrelevant what the comparison is or what you think we should or shouldn't add to the Hojlund money. We're not even shopping in that store, we're in Lidl. Does Jonathan David fit into the budget? Maybe, maybe not. But he isn't an elite striker either so I don't think we'd be smashing a home run with that one. A lot of clubs seem to have looked at David and as yet he's gone nowhere...

croadyman

This is great in fantasy land, I don't think anyone would disagree that Kane and Osimhen would be more proven ready made options.

Unfortunately back on planet earth it's less to do with availability and more to do with the money isn't there. We have every indication that after a keeper, the budget for a striker is a pretty hard 50/60million. I think that's extremely obvious because firstly we have Hojlund top of the list which would be unusual with a more flexible budget, and secondly there are reports we have to sell to pursue other positions beyond this.

So really Kane, Osimhen, guys like Ramos are not even in the equation so it's largely irrelevant what the comparison is or what you think we should or shouldn't add to the Hojlund money. We're not even shopping in that store, we're in Lidl. Does Jonathan David fit into the budget? Maybe, maybe not. But he isn't an elite striker either so I don't think we'd be smashing a home run with that one. A lot of clubs seem to have looked at David and as yet he's gone nowhere...
Yeah of course we would prefer to get someone proven like one of those two,however we just aren't in a position to do that. I do have serious concerns about putting so much pressure on him though. Ideally we could do with signing an experienced option either on a free or cheap too.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I love how determined he is to join but who wouldn’t be at the age of 20? Getting a 50/60m move from Atalanta to us is such a big move and one that will surely give him confidence.

croadyman

I love how determined he is to join but who wouldn’t be at the age of 20? Getting a 50/60m move from Atalanta to us is such a big move and one that will surely give him confidence.
Yeah IF that's actually true about being willing to put in transfer request then that shows how much he wants to make it happen

Strelok

He had 3 bad matches at the World Cup so everyone thinks he's shite.
I see thanks for the info.

Anyway I haven't watched him but if 3 bad matches in a tournament where his team played 3 matches then my bet is everyone might be not wrong here.

Nero

Transfer requests are so overrated.

The club still has to be willing to sell them, and can still demand whatever fee they want, they just save a few million on a loyalty bonus.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Imo he's pretty decent but some poster here said he's far from that. Any idea?
Holjund was pretty much unknown here before this transfer window. Maybe that's why. It's very easy to get excited over a talent especially when he's very young and have the media constantly talk about him. I've read reports about Ten Hag preferring him, that can also play a big part. If you switch the reports around and say Ten Hag's preferred striker is David, people will flock to him and call Hojlund average. It's just how it is. The reality is none of them is a ready made product and success aren't guaranteed for them. Just that one is more experienced and mature while the other is your typical talent after his breakthrough season (more risks attached to him).

Strelok

Holjund was pretty much unknown here before this transfer window. Maybe that's why. It's very easy to get excited over a talent especially when he's very young and have the media constantly talk about him. I've read reports about Ten Hag preferring him, that can also play a part. If you switch the reports around and say Ten Hag's preferred striker is David, people will flock to him and call Hojlund average. It's just how it is.
Imo the thing is Hojlund is somewhat unknown but David is not. Unfortunately not in a very positive way.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
I’ve seen David more and I know I’d rather have Holjund for sure. The potential is obvious to see in my eyes.

L1nk

For the people clamboring for Jonathan David I suspect it’s just because of his goal record? Granted I don’t know a whole lot about JD, his goal tally is pretty good by all accounts but the reason I think we don’t seem to be looking at him is because he seems to primarily be a second striker? Whilst we seem intent on wanting a lone striker?

“A versatile forward, David plays primarily as a second striker in a 4–4–2 formation or as an attacking midfielder;[46] he is also capable of playing as an out–and–out striker,[47] and is known for his goalscoring ability.[48] As a second striker, in a partnership he plays just behind the other primary striker.”

That doesn’t seem to describe what we are aiming for in our forward option, it’s just another suggestion based on pure numbers it seems?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

The club still has to be willing to sell them, and can still demand whatever fee they want, they just save a few million on a loyalty bonus.
It can actually lower a price because official transfer requests will void a lot of loyalty/signing bonuses meaning less to recoup.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Imo the thing is Hojlund is somewhat unknown but David is not. Unfortunately not in a very positive way.
Everything about Hojlund happens very quickly. In the last 2 weeks the news about him joining United only grows.
For the people clamboring for Jonathan David I suspect it’s just because of his goal record? Granted I don’t know a whole lot about JD, his goal tally is pretty good by all accounts but the reason I think we don’t seem to be looking at him is because he seems to primarily be a second striker? Whilst we seem intent on wanting a lone striker?

“A versatile forward, David plays primarily as a second striker in a 4–4–2 formation or as an attacking midfielder;[46] he is also capable of playing as an out–and–out striker,[47] and is known for his goalscoring ability.[48] As a second striker, in a partnership he plays just behind the other primary striker.”

That doesn’t seem to describe what we are aiming for in our forward option, it’s just another suggestion based on pure numbers it seems?
Do you consider Martial a lone striker? I dont, but Ten Hag seemed to like him when he was fit. I doubt any CF that joins us will play the classical lone striker role like Ronaldo of last season. His numbers are good but I mainly want him because of his experience and development in the past 2-3 years. Seems to be ready for the next step.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

But it does weaken the seller's position. They cant threaten to walk away from the negotiation this way.

Plus they cant force a player to stay after he hands in a transfer request unless they offer him some crazy financial incentive which could break their existing wage structure.

L1nk

Everything about Hojlund happens very quickly. In the last 2 weeks the news about him joining United only grows.

Do you consider Martial a lone striker? I dont, but Ten Hag seemed to like him when he was fit. I doubt any CF that joins us will play the classical lone striker role like Ronaldo of last season. His numbers are good but I mainly want him because of his experience and development in the past 2-3 years. Seems to be ready for the next step.
True but then Weghorst and Martial were vastly different from each other. He might prefer Hojlund because he plays a lot differently to Martial and/or David. In all likelyhood we're going to have to keep Martial for another season and perhaps he wants different kinds of options.

I'm not entirely opposed to David either, but a lot of people don't seem to rate him. I cannot comment on why because i've never really seen him.

OverratedOpinion

Do you consider Martial a lone striker? I dont, but Ten Hag seemed to like him when he was fit.
He's played as a lone striker for us for like 4 years. I actually can't remember him playing with another striker during that time. I'm sure he maybe played with Cavani a couple of times but very rarely.

L1nk

Di Marzio saying we probably need to pay 60 euros minimum, i would except a slightly lower base fee with addons up to that much

gajender

But it does weaken the seller's position. They cant force a player to stay after he hands in a transfer request unless they offer him some crazy financial incentive which could break their existing wage structure.
They are under no obligation to do such thing they already have player Under Valid contract , they might decide to do it anyway to placate the player but it's not given .

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
They are under no obligation to do such thing they already have player Under Valid contract , they might decide to do it anyway to placate the player but it's not given .
And keep an unhappy player? This is 2023. Player power is in full force.

Adamsk7

Di Marzio saying we probably need to pay 60 euros minimum, i would except a slightly lower base fee with addons up to that much
£51m then, which isn’t ridiculous. If that’s their demand then we should probably reach an agreement of about £40m + 5.

gajender

And keep an unhappy player? This is 2023. Player power is in full force.
If player is under long contract already what exactly he can do , can't go on strike indefinitely can he .
It might be 2023 but more than player power I see Clubs more and more determined to stick to their valuations and getting deals done at their own terms .

miked99

I can't get excited about this signing. Not right now. Nine goals last season doesn't suggest he's going to arrive here and make a significant contribution, and we desperately need someone who will do that. Another prospect, another gamble. It feels like for the last decade we've either signed prospects, or ageing strikers.

Nothing wrong with signing prospects, we absolutely should be doing that and he may well turn out to be a great signing over the next few years. But right now we need someone who has the capacity to hit the ground running, and that need is urgent. If we don't get a goalscoring centre forward then the season will play out much like the last one.

It's probably the case that we don't have the budget to do any more than this in reality, especially with the future of the club up in the air. It's all a bit depressing really. I'm not too excited for the new season as things stand.

Still, a month to go yet so fingers crossed!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's played as a lone striker for us for like 4 years. I actually can't remember him playing with another striker during that time. I'm sure he maybe played with Cavani a couple of times but very rarely.
True. In formational sense. But he is far from your traditional, always stays up top alone to hold the ball and to score kind of CF. He is a dynamic forward and works best when he has wide players or attacking midfield linking up with him.

Strelok

I can't get excited about this signing. Not right now. Nine goals last season doesn't suggest he's going to arrive here and make a significant contribution, and we desperately need someone who will do that. Another prospect, another gamble. It feels like for the last decade we've either signed prospects, or ageing strikers.

Nothing wrong with signing prospects, we absolutely should be doing that and he may well turn out to be a great signing over the next few years. But right now we need someone who has the capacity to hit the ground running, and that need is urgent. If we don't get a goalscoring centre forward then the season will play out much like the last one.

It's probably the case that we don't have the budget to do any more than this in reality, especially with the future of the club up in the air. It's all a bit depressing really. I'm not too excited for the new season as things stand.

Pretty much how I feel. It's depressing really. Anyway better having someone than no one I guess.

miked99

Pretty much how I feel. It's depressing really. Anyway better having someone than no one I guess.
Absolutely. I'm normally pretty optimistic about all things United but it feels like there's a cloud over the whole club at the moment.

I'm not saying it's not a good signing, he might turn out amazing given time. And of course, it's better to have him than have no-one (or Wout :lol:). It's just hard to see how this coming season is going to be much different to the previous one, as things stand.

zaafi

Ah yes, let's create a goal scoring machine in our laboratory. There is only Kane. Maybe Osimhen. We're not getting either of them with their price tag, so maybe just accept the fact we're not getting them and instead going for a highly rated young striker. It may not be ideal, but it is what it is.

Yakuza_devils

By right we should be going for a proven top class striker because of our poor goals returns last season. However, I know that we are broke and having watched Weghorst played for us as ST for 6 months, this guy is a no brainer unless "the certain someone" is back to the team.

Strelok

Absolutely. I'm normally pretty optimistic about all things United but it feels like there's a cloud over the whole club at the moment.

I'm not saying it's not a good signing, he might turn out amazing given time. And of course, it's better to have him than have no-one (or Wout :lol:). It's just hard to see how this coming season is going to be much different to the previous one, as things stand.
Yeah not very bright atm but still we already have Onana and Mount who imo will help us to improve our ball progression which I'm looking forward to see. But it's true without a new good #9 we'll lack goals again and it'd be another top 4 fight at best again.

Anyway like you said there is plenty time left so fingers crossed :D

Crimson King

Yeah not very bright atm but still we already have Onana and Mount who imo will help us to improve our ball progression which I'm looking forward to see. But it's true without a new good #9 we'll lack goals again and it'd be another top 4 fight at best again.

Anyway like you said there is plenty time left so fingers crossed :D
Other than City, what other teams have a top #9 in the EPL? There's only really Keane amongst potential top 4 rivals, and there's a very good chance he won't be at Spurs come the start of the season.

Arsenal have Jesus, but not sure I'd count him as a WC #9. He's more of a forward than a striker, one that helps bring the best out of his teammates with his endeavour. They shared the goal scoring responsibility around last season.

That could all change depending on who teams bring in, but they're all shopping in the same pool that we are, and it isn't very deep at the moment.

Strelok

Other than City, what other teams have a top #9 in the EPL? There's only really Keane amongst potential top 4 rivals, and there's a very good chance he won't be at Spurs come the start of the season.

Arsenal have Jesus, but not sure I'd count him as a WC #9. He's more of a forward than a striker, one that helps bring the best out of his teammates with his endeavour. They shared the goal scoring responsibility around last season.

That could all change depending on who teams bring in, but they're all shopping in the same pool that we are, and it isn't very deep at the moment.
What those teams don't have a #9 have to do with us don't have a #9? Do you want us just to keep fighting for a top 4 this season or might have a chance at the title? Even a tiny one? Do you seriously think we'd have a chance at the title with that 19yo kid as our main #9??

Someone

Something
Feels like a bit of a risk waiting to finish the GK deal first before going for this one. We've seen before how other clubs can hijack deals like this easily. Also I still don't understand why can't we work on several deals at the same time.

L1nk

Feels like a bit of a risk waiting to finish the GK deal first before going for this one. We've seen before how other clubs can hijack deals like this easily. Also I still don't understand why can't we work on several deals at the same time.
I would agree - however i wouldn't be surprised if it's the case of getting the Onana deal over the line to know how much we then have to spend on a striker. Beyond that there's no doubt we've spoken to Hojlund a lot over the summer and let him know of our intentions, it's pretty much been reported on many times. He's a big United fan and i'm sure if we said hey look we're looking to negotiate with Atalanta for you but we just need a little more time - then he'd wait for us. However it's also been said by Romano that if United basically piss about or delay delay delay then he won't wait for United forever, which is fair. So if we want the deal we should get on it like asap, not even just from his perspective but from our perspective in getting him on the tour

Crimson King

What those teams don't have a #9 have to do with us don't have a #9? Do you want us just to keep fighting for a top 4 this season or might have a chance at the title? Even a tiny one? Do you seriously think we'd have a chance at the title with that 19yo kid as our main #9??
Højlund is 20, turning 21 in February 2024, and is a full international. He's not quite the inexperienced child you're making him out to be.

And no, I don't think we'd have a chance at the title, but then I don't think we'd have that much of a chance finishing above City with Kane up front either. A bigger chance, sure, but still an outside one. He's the only striker out there that would even bring us that close, and Levy just wouldn't let it happen, even if we had money to burn.

My actual point was that Arsenal nearly did it without a striker capable of scoring 30+ goals a season. They fell short, but nobody expected them to go that close at the start of the season. We can still improve in every area and as a team, and who knows, maybe we will come close at well. We came within touching distance of top spot for a very brief moment last season before it fell apart somewhat.

Strelok

Højlund is 20, turning 21 in February 2024, and is a full international. He's not quite the inexperienced child you're making him out to be.

And no, I don't think we'd have a chance at the title, but then I don't think we'd have that much of a chance finishing above City with Kane up front either. A bigger chance, sure, but still an outside one. He's the only striker out there that would even bring us that close, and Levy just wouldn't let it happen, even if we had money to burn.

My actual point was that Arsenal nearly did it without a striker capable of scoring 30+ goals a season. They fell short, but nobody expected them to go that close at the start of the season. We can still improve in every area and as a team, and who knows, maybe we will come close at well. We came within touching distance of top spot for a very brief moment last season before it fell apart somewhat.
Yeah you got a point here. Basically no chance we'd get Kane. It's depressing really. My little hope for a title challenge next season is simply gone.

Let's hope if we buy Hojlund he'd come good then.

FerociousCorgis

I feel like the same people who complain about us targeting players like this are the same ones who will complain if he hits it big and we were to buy for 100 plus. Yes the money is a bit more than a true punt but as a youngster if you got around 40-50 plus add ons that's a great price if you truly think that you are hitting on a top CF for the next 8 plus years

EisernSchild

Supports
Sturm Graz
Rasmus Höjlund was the fastest player in the Danish league in the autumn. Nobody sprinted like him with 36 measured kilometers per hour. This means that Sturm has a new centre-forward "rocket" who signed for the long term, until the summer of 2026.
Austrian Press in January 2022

He has incredible speed. I have seldom seen a player who regularly reaches such a top speed (36 km/h), physically he is an unbelievable player for his age, also in terms of his power.
Andreas Schicker, sporting director at Sturm Graz, spring 2022

He is a very fast player, he does the 100 meters in less than 11 seconds.
Gian Piero Gasperini, manager at Atalanta Bergamo, spring 2023

That (36 km/h) would put him in the Top10 of the fastest players in PL :

1Kyle Walker37.31 km/h
2Brennan Johnson36.70 km/h
3Mykhailo Mudryk36.63 km/h
4Anthony Gordon36.61 km/h
5Darwin Nunez36.53 km/h
6Arnaut Danjuma36.34 km/h
7Matheus Nunes36.32 km/h
8Erling Haaland36.22 km/h
9Denis Zakaria36.09 km/h
10Reiss Nelson36.07 km/h