g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

tidraKS

Guys expecting him to score 25-30 goals in his first Serie A on an Atalanta side, when he was only 19 for the majority of the season.

macheda14

No but they challenged and got close and a lack of experience lead them to bottle it.

We have come so far this season, 2 finals and 1 trophy & if it weren’t for utter captiulation against Seville who knows maybe a European final too.

I seriously believe (with a striker signing) we can do just as good, if not better this season.
Yes and we have that lack of experience as well. We won’t be winning a CL and/or Prem. But we can win a domestic trophy again and push City much closer. (That being said City only really found their groove later on in the season that I don’t think they’ll have as much of a stuttering start this season)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Just by looking at the names in that list, it's extremely unlikely he maintains the same rate. These are established and reliable PL goal scorers other than Gakpo.

Scoring double figures as a youngster in the PL is extremely hard.

As great as Martial was in his first season he only scored 11 in the league and 17 overall. Greenwood was similar with 10 and 17 overall too. If Hojlund is able to replicate either of these seasons we should be over the moon because that is the best case scenario.

I'd be expecting 10-14 goals in all comps as a solid but reasonable contribution to the team. We aren't in Europa so those extra goals might be hard to come by.
It’d be fecking amazing if he carried it over. But it’s a fecking big ‘if’, Sully.

Not impossible, but more likely that number drops down in a new league and a better league.
It's a completely different league and tempo mate. You really can't compare them without probably giving Højlund a notch down in non-penalty goals per 90 in Premier League.

From having watched him, it's clear to me that Watkins and Toney are better currently. Maybe not long-term but currently I find it hard to believe he'd have done better than any of them.
I get why you'd be cautious about the idea of him being able to translate from one league to the other, but in general terms it isn't so unlikely for a player to do so that we couldn't hope for it.

Looking at the other goalscorers who were topping the charts for npG per 90 last season and comparing the last season in another league versus their first in the PL...

Those who stepped up immediately:

Haaland - 0.75 to 0.94
Salah - 0.55 to 0.95.
Isak - 0.17 to 0.47
Firmino - 0.22 to 0.46
Awoniyi - 0.54 to 0.64
Rodrigo - 0.19 to 0.49
Jesus - 0.48 to 0.83

Those who didn't:

Alvarez - 1.02 to 0.49
Mitrovic - 0.57 to 0.30
Nunez - 1.00 to 0.48
Gakpo - 0.56 to 0.43

And given Alvarez and Nunez were returning over a goal a game previously, you might argue some drop off was inevitable in their cases regardless of the league.

Basically the strikers who are doing well at the moment having come from a foreign league tended to have hit the ground running when they first arrived. If you think Hojlund is talented enough to be a success here generally, it doesn't seem unreasonable to hope his current rate of returns might more or less survive the transfer from another league straight away.

Bertie Wooster

It's not controversial, but it's pointless to mention for several reasons.

1. Kane and Osimhen are unrealistic targets.
2. Every young player is a gamble.
3. We need a striker.
4. There's a huge lack of good strikers on the market, and generally in world football.

Either way, whoever we sign is going to be a gamble, but we absolutely need a striker, and Højlund is one of the highest rated young strikers in the world at the moment. We're not going to find a striker who will score 20+ PL goals in a season.
Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at as regards the new striker / Hojlund as an option.

Of course, if we could afford any of the few elite level strikers - or clubs were willing to sell them - then I'd much prefer that option, such as Kane or Osimhen.

But it looks like we can't fish in that very select pond and so we're looking at the much bigger amount of players in the tier below - that all come with the 'gamble / there's better options out there' label.

Of those, which it looks like we're going to have to select one of, then I'm perfectly happy with Hojlund if we can get him for a sensible price. Yes, there's 'better out there' than him, but none that we can realistically get this summer by the looks of it, so he's not much better or worse than most of the other attainable targets and should, hopefully, continue to improve.

redcucumber

I get why you'd be cautious about the idea of him being able to translate from one league to the other, but in general terms it isn't so unlikely for a player to do so that we couldn't hope for it.

Looking at the other goalscorers who were topping the charts for npG per 90 last season and comparing the last season in another league versus their first in the PL...

Those who stepped up immediately:

Haaland - 0.75 to 0.94
Salah - 0.55 to 0.95.
Isak - 0.17 to 0.47
Firmino - 0.22 to 0.46
Awoniyi - 0.54 to 0.64
Rodrigo - 0.19 to 0.49
Jesus - 0.48 to 0.83

Those who didn't:

Alvarez - 1.02 to 0.49
Mitrovic - 0.57 to 0.30
Nunez - 1.00 to 0.48
Gakpo - 0.56 to 0.43

And given Alvarez and Nunez were returning over a goal a game previously, you might argue some drop off was inevitable in their cases regardless of the league.

Basically the strikers who are doing well at the moment having come from a foreign league tended to have hit the ground running when they first arrived. If you think Hojlund is talented enough to be a success here generally, it doesn't seem unreasonable to hope his current rate of returns might more or less survive the transfer from another league straight away.
Isak's improvement in goalscoring is impressive. Really annoying he wasn't available this summer.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Isak's improvement in goalscoring is impressive. Really annoying he wasn't available this summer.
Tbf he was coming off a bad season for Sociedad, his previous ones had been better. Though that also kinda makes it a better buy on Newcastle's part as it was less of a sure thing than if he had been killing it the prior season.

Remember the geese

Every team know to reject our first order and second and we will eventualy cave in and give them an inflated fee because they can see our desperation
Barring release clauses, this is how every transfer works for every team. An offer or two rejected, then a third bid accepted.

redcucumber

Tbf he was coming off a bad season for Sociedad, his previous ones had been better. Though that also kinda makes it a better buy on Newcastle's part as it was less of a sure thing than if he had been killing it the prior season.
Yeah I remember Arsenal being pretty strongly linked at one point so he was obviously on the big club's radars. Newcastle are in that enviable position where they've got unlimited cash to take as many expensive punts as they like while expectations remain relatively low.

Suv666

Take a break, Arsenal just paid 100m for Rice. Chelsea did the same for Mudryk, Enzo and Brighton are demanding similar for Caicedo. Madrid did the same for Tchouameni and Bellingham.
Its the market. fact is if we really think he's got it in him to be a united level striker then 50-60 million will end up being a bargain. If we don't rate him that much then why bother.
Yeah but those are exceptional talents, except the Chelsea signings(Bohely is insanse) Rasmus is not in the same league

stw2022

I hope we're also in market for a more experienced forward to be honest

zaafi

Yeah but those are exceptional talents, except the Chelsea signings(Bohely is insanse) Rasmus is not in the same league
How could you possibly state that with such confidence? My bet is that you've never watched him, but seen a few highlights videos on YouTube.

Tchouameni is 3 years older and hasn't exactly been exceptional, has he? He's been good, but nothing extraordinary.

Enzo Fernandez has been great, but is also two years older and cost twice as much as Højlund will cost.

Bellingham, while he has been great in Bundesliga, hasn't even played a game for Real Madrid and we'll just have to see if he'll live up to his hype.

LordSpud

We cannot pay for this kid more than what City paid for Haaland (the figure that they put out anyway).

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Having our pants pulled down again over this fee.

All those raving about the lad need to realise he wasnt a regular starter for Atalanta.

Potential yes and plenty but we are so poor in our negotiation. Every team know to reject our first order and second and we will eventualy cave in and give them an inflated fee because they can see our desperation
But we haven’t had our pants pulled down for either Onana (paying less than ehat they want) or Mount. (Paid what we wanted £55M & they slapped on a £5M add on which we negotiated to, if achieved, we all would be happy. We paid £55M when chelsea wanted 70-80m!

Yes and we have that lack of experience as well. We won’t be winning a CL and/or Prem. But we can win a domestic trophy again and push City much closer. (That being said City only really found their groove later on in the season that I don’t think they’ll have as much of a stuttering start this season)
Varane, Martinez, Casemiro & to an extent Rashford & De Gea (played in very big games over the years) all have tons more experience than the majority of Arsenal’s side.

We cannot pay for this kid more than what City paid for Haaland (the figure that they put out anyway).
Haaland had a stupidly low release clause for Dortmund, which we famously agreed NOT to have. Hence why he went for so cheap. You can’t compare the Haaland price for that very reason.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
It's not controversial, but it's pointless to mention for several reasons.

1. Kane and Osimhen are unrealistic targets.
2. Every young player is a gamble.
3. We need a striker.
4. There's a huge lack of good strikers on the market, and generally in world football.

Either way, whoever we sign is going to be a gamble, but we absolutely need a striker, and Højlund is one of the highest rated young strikers in the world at the moment. We're not going to find a striker who will score 20+ PL goals in a season.
It's not pointless b/c you don't like the point made. For his output, paying that much money is an enormous risk, and nothing you pointed out negates that.

You also seem to be conflating price with availability. There are lots of good strikers available this summer that would fit the standard United are looking for, but for whatever reason United can't afford them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I really want him to be a hit for us but can't help but have lots of question marks here

Trex

The jury is out for most of them. And he wouldn't cost the same as them.

Alemar

For his output, paying that much money is an enormous risk, and nothing you pointed out negates that.
All he needs in his first season is to be better than last season’s Martial - it’s a very easy target to achieve. He can score 12-13 in EPL and 20 across all competitions and it will already be excellent upgrade

glasgow 21

It's not pointless b/c you don't like the point made. For his output, paying that much money is an enormous risk, and nothing you pointed out negates that.

You also seem to be conflating price with availability. There are lots of good strikers available this summer that would fit the standard United are looking for, but for whatever reason United can't afford them.
So what's you call then ? how much and on who ? and please, please don't give me the Kane/Osimhen that is/was never happening from day One.

zaafi

He is in the 84th percentile for expected non-penalty goals, and I'd say that's absolutely fine. For actual goals he's in the 71th percentile, so it doesn't only indicate that he has been unlucky with his finishing, but also let down by his team mates.

Osimhen at 21, in his first season for Napoli, scored 10 goals, although he did it in slightly fewer minutes, but he also played in a more attacking team.
His second season he scored 14 goals. It really isn't that much more than Højlund.

You're making it look like Højlund's stats are trash. They're not great, but they're fine. I agree that he's a gamble, but one worth taking, imo.

That's what I meant. They're available on the market for the right price, but it's irrelevant to us as we can't afford them. And who are the other "lots of strikers" other than Kane and Osimhen that are available?

Dannn411

Having our pants pulled down again over this fee.

All those raving about the lad need to realise he wasnt a regular starter for Atalanta.

Potential yes and plenty but we are so poor in our negotiation. Every team know to reject our first order and second and we will eventualy cave in and give them an inflated fee because they can see our desperation
Suggest a viable alternative.

We have no striker and we have been the lowest scoring side in the top 6 two years in a row.

The guy who was supposed to be the long term solution at CF went and abused his partner.

We are in a tight financial position this window due to gross financial mismanagement in the past.

No single club in this situation would not be screwed over by other clubs in the window.

Its either we persist with what we have, bring back Greenwood or we go and sign a promising to good centre forward somewhere.

Suv666

How could you possibly state that with such confidence? My bet is that you've never watched him, but seen a few highlights videos on YouTube.

Tchouameni is 3 years older and hasn't exactly been exceptional, has he? He's been good, but nothing extraordinary.

Enzo Fernandez has been great, but is also two years older and cost twice as much as Højlund will cost.

Bellingham, while he has been great in Bundesliga, hasn't even played a game for Real Madrid and we'll just have to see if he'll live up to his hype.
Come on man no need to be obtuse you’re really gonna come here and claim Rasmus is on the same level of potential as Bellingham and Tchouameni thats just daft

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I'd honestly be shocked if Atalanta settle for anything below £70m for him. He's a young striker and I don't believe they're cash strapped. If a club like United comes in for a player his age at a relatively decent sized club, then they will be daft not to. Alternatively they would surely just wait until he grows in reputation and sell when other big clubs are interested also, rather than accepting a cut price deal now.

MileStolar

I'd honestly be shocked if Atalanta settle for anything below £70m for him. He's a young striker and I don't believe they're cash strapped. If a club like United comes in for a player his age at a relatively decent sized club, then they will be daft not to. Alternatively they would surely just wait until he grows in reputation and sell when other big clubs are interested also, rather than accepting a cut price deal now.
Wouldn't be the first nor last to be hyped up for sale to then slowly die down... Milinković Savić never got sold for big money and they tried to big him up summer after summer. Then there's Belotti who was also the next big thing, Kasper Dolberg, hell even Zaha never got sold because of the asking price.

Gamble goes both ways, they could also miss out on cashing in and see his value potentially drop.

astracrazy

Feels a bit underwhelming after months of speculation we would be signing a ready made striker one way or another, especially after a season of having score shy strikers. I can't help but feel next season will be a repeat of the last. This guy isn't going to walk in and transform our scoring record.

Guys expecting him to score 25-30 goals in his first Serie A on an Atalanta side, when he was only 19 for the majority of the season.
So what's he going to bring to us, when goals is exactly what we need?

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Wouldn't be the first nor last to be hyped up for sale to then slowly die down... Milinković Savić never got sold for big money and they tried to big him up summer after summer. Then there's Belotti who was also the next big thing, Kasper Dolberg, hell even Zaha never got sold because of the asking price.

Gamble goes both ways, they could also miss out on cashing in and see his value potentially drop.
The question with all of those players is whether there were clubs even trying to sign them. I don't remember a club of our stature ever trying to sign Belotti or Dolberg. Zaha was signed for us and flopped. With SMS it felt like Lazio were trying to entice us and others to bid rather than there actually being genuine interest. If we are keen on Hojlund then they will demand big money I expect. Not only that but I reckon they'll sense desperation from us given that Kane and Osimhen are off the table. Whether we'll pay up is a different matter, but this talk of 35-45m euros just seems too good to be true. I reckon the reports of 100m euros is probably closer to the mark.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
The striker market is so dead.. this guy seems pretty average to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.