Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFMUTD

They have been saying the bid starts from 90mil north. It’s ridiculous amount but he is an interesting player I feel.
thing is with no suitors for him at that price chances are his price will only drop. To drive the price up he'd need to do something really impressive. That's the thing with promising players, they either move or have to fullfil their promise to keep their price which most never do.

SAFMUTD

I think Wilson has the potential to make it if not for a series of bad luck incl a string of injuries which hampered his development. He was fire at 16-18y.o
He was rated higher than Kane which tells about how highly rated he was as a youngster.

suheilsworld

If we get him, I fully believe the media and opposition fans mocking him based solely on his name and comparison to the name Haaland just like they had written off Licha. And just like Licha, he’ll take price then wrong

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Haaland isn’t that good of a good finisher, he just gets in the right positions, there’s a huge difference. He’s a freak of nature athletic wise.
Totally wrong. He is a monster in front of goal and his outperformance of XG is one of the largest in football.

Since moving to Dortmund he has scored 83 non-penalty league goals on a non penalty XG of 65.

croadyman

It's pretty obvious that Haaland is a 'generational talent', and that the likes of him, Kane, Mbappe are the kinds of top tier strikers that are completely unobtainable / out of our price range this summer.

But as we're not able to go for anyone of that calibre, then the discussion is just really about which of the tiers below is affordable, attainable, and would best suit us as a #9 in ETH's opinion.

From reports, he seems to be set on that being Hojlund. And, given the other affordable / attainable options, that seems a perfectly valid choice to me.

I like the look of him as already a pretty good all round #9, and given his age and current ability, he's definitely got the potential to continue to further improve over the next few years.

Would I have preferred Haaland or Kane? Definitely. But perfectly happy to back ETH's call for Hojlund when the other mooted options are the likes of Ramos, Muani, Taremi - not Kane, Haaland, Mbappe...
Kane could maybe still become a Utd player next summer IF he actually has the guts to run down deal instead of joining Bayern. Sadly the Haaland ship sailed when Jose,Butt and the rest of the people at Utd just didn't want to know when Ole told them. £4 fecking million he was available for at Molde which still sickens me to this day.

croadyman

I do wonder about the leadership at the club when Greenwood's return is even being considered. The squad is clearly clueless so it would be ridiculous from a PR standpoint to leave it in their hands in anyway as I'm sure he'd be back today if you did. Bruno's support of Mendy turned my stomach and made me realise that even the guys you think have a brain are corrupted by footballer privilege and don't see themselves as anything but victims in these incidents.

You have to take a broader outlook on this and consider the female fans, staff and players that you alienate when you make a decision to allow a violent woman abuser back into the club. I'm not a woman but I'm disgusted by the club's lack of leadership on this issue in recent years from Giggs being made to feel welcome in executive boxes after serious and credible allegations being made about him by his former partner, Ronaldo being brought back despite not being able to visit America due to a rape accusation, the ongoing allegations against Antony and how the United medical team may have even had to treat his ex-girlfriends injuries. Not one of these cases do I have any shred of doubt that the allegations being made were untruthful. I almost expect it from footballers but how is this behaviour in anyway palatable to the club's sponsors and by extension the executive team?
Yeah I was surprised to see Bruno’s support of Mendy too,one thing that makes Greenwood's case different to many other of these type cases is that horrendous audio recording. That alone is making it very hard to see how he can be brought back into this squad again.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Kane could maybe still become a Utd player next summer IF he actually has the guts to run down deal instead of joining Bayern. Sadly the Haaland ship sailed when Jose,Butt and the rest of the people at Utd just didn't want to know when Ole told them. £4 fecking million he was available for at Molde which still sickens me to this day.
Add Caicedo to that list.

Instead, now we have to pay for the sins of our past ie haggle like feck to make sure the United tax isnt as bad going forward.

croadyman

Instead, now we have to pay for the sins of our past ie haggle like feck to make sure the United tax isnt as bad going forward.
I see that one a little differently due to the complex ownership,however with such a small fee involved then should have made more effort

stoinz

Goldbridge is a spanner but to be fair to him he’s been saying for a few months now (whilst nobody else was mentioning Hojlund) that actually we’re very into him, and he’s been repeating this on his shows for a while, calling the transfer “hotter than the sun”. Hojlund has been following him and Harry Pinero on Instagram for months now cause he’s a United fan and he’s basically dm’d them stuff about what’s going on, for Goldbridge it was his hotter than the sun reference, basically letting him know he’s acknowledging that something is happening now.

Think there is no doubt he wants to come and we wants him. The issue about pricing. Seems like he is being priced out of a move.

croadyman

Would be nice to get him on the tour so he can integrate with the rest of the squad. With Onana being wrapped up, maybe we can get this over the line by next week and he can join in later.
There is too much still to do with this deal in order for him to have played a part unfortunately

croadyman

Haaland is the benchmark striker everyone would like to be, but I really doubt Højlund will ever reach that level.

stats are stats but on the eyetest he’s just not as clinical, but I do think he has more vision and his off the ball movement and workrate is really impressive too.
I would never compare the two because you can't

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I see that one a little differently due to the complex ownership,however with such a small fee involved then should have made more effort
Matt Judge. Wasn't going to fly to some god-forsaken place unless it was for some big deals. Wasnt worth getting out of bed for some kid.

croadyman

Matt Judge. Wasn't going to fly to some god-forsaken place unless it was for some big deals. Wasnt worth getting out of bed for some kid.
Yeah him and the Toy Story puppet did love the razzmatazz shirt seller type deals

croadyman

We did not have competition for both Mount, Onana and seems to be the case with Hojlund too .. Last season too , we did not have much competition for the players we bought except may be Eriksen. Depending on how you look, either players we signed only wanted to play for us or we are buying players other clubs are not interested ( due to price or already loaded up in those positions etc) .
Personally it doesn't bother me that other teams aren't in for them,they have both already shown how much playing for this club means to them. Clearly Hojlund is pushing to sign as well but Atalanta certainly won't make it straight forward.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We did not have competition for both Mount, Onana and seems to be the case with Hojlund too .. Last season too , we did not have much competition for the players we bought except may be Eriksen. Depending on how you look, either players we signed only wanted to play for us or we are buying players other clubs are not interested ( due to price or already loaded up in those positions etc) .
There will rarely be a competition for any signings as clubs know player's preference. Liverpool ,Arsenal wanted Mount but his preference was ManUtd. It would have been madness from their end to bid for the player.

It's same for most players, very rarely you will see multiple clubs bidding for same player.

croadyman

Must say I'm slowly falling in love with this player. He has no fear. I'm confident he will justify whatever fee we willl pay for him. It's time to burn some cash. Hope we don't waste it on someone else.

Although I'm as guilty as anyone else when it comes to hyping new players who come to the club. Anyway I believe he will be at his best between October & April. After that he could be shot but likewise he could be still standing.

Rasmus - you've been in the shadows in Austria prior to your move to Atalanta, it feels like I've been living' in a world without you prior to this. It's like this is the first day of my life. This is my paradise. Never been happier in my life.

To be honest I'm a mess. Hope this opportunity doesn't sail away from us.

Let's see how many you get.
Just need someone to chip in with goals through Aug,Sept and May then if he is going to cover the rest of time then. Would be so ideal if we could get a cheap experienced backup 9 as well

Waynne

With this transfer seemingly done I think we've done well this window. Not as well as I hoped but a new Striker, Midfield and Goalkeeper is good progress.

Hopefully the owners can feck off so we can get more players in come the next transfer window.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I watched his all touches vs Inter and that was a mistake, I can't get on the hype train now. Anyway, I guess we're buying him for his potential so no issue with this transfer. However it's hard to imagine there are no better strikers out there that we can get for the money mentioned we are willing to pay.
The fans have unrealistic expectations for the players we buy, hope this guy is mentally strong to deal with it because it's a long way to go for Hojlund IMO.

zaafi

I watched his all touches vs Inter and that was a mistake, I can't get on the hype train now. Anyway, I guess we're buying him for his potential so no issue with this transfer. However it's hard to imagine there are no better strikers out there that we can get for the money mentioned we are willing to pay.
The fans have unrealistic expectations for the players we buy, hope this guy is mentally strong to deal with it because it's a long way to go for Hojlund IMO.
People keep looking at this the wrong way. No one is claiming there are no better alternatives. There quite clearly are.
However, do you really want us to spend £50m on Callum Wilson who is never going to be good enough anyway? Or another young striker who we're going to be stuck with for 5 years whose potential is piss poor and will take us absolutely nowhere, despite being currently slightly better than Højlund?

We're obviously buying Højlund for the future because he is a very highly rated young striker. Remember he is only 20, while the likes of Kolo Muani will be 25 this year, isn't really a striker and occupies same space as Rashford.

It makes no sense to buy an experienced striker now just because he is a little bit better when we're going to replace him in a year or two simply because he isn't good enough. Because, let's be real, the only striker right now that is good enough is Kane. Maybe Osimhen because he is a goal threat, despite lacking in aspects of the game that Ten Hag wishes to implement in our play style.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Goldbridge is a spanner but to be fair to him he’s been saying for a few months now (whilst nobody else was mentioning Hojlund) that actually we’re very into him, and he’s been repeating this on his shows for a while, calling the transfer “hotter than the sun”. Hojlund has been following him and Harry Pinero on Instagram for months now cause he’s a United fan and he’s basically dm’d them stuff about what’s going on, for Goldbridge it was his hotter than the sun reference, basically letting him know he’s acknowledging that something is happening now.

Ah thank you!

Klean

I trust the manager who has our team playing the best football we have played since SAF with a proven track record of developing and nurturing young talent over a bunch of faceless people on a message board arguing from their basements.

Fox outside the box

I trust the manager who has our team playing the best football we have played since SAF with a proven track record of developing and nurturing young talent over a bunch of faceless people on a message board arguing from their basements.
This is my stance. Wish fans would acknowledge a little more that they actually know feck all. Even if someone has watched him in multiple full games this season, I think we see a different game to what the likes of ETH do. If it comes down to whether I trust my judgement more or the manager, I'll defer to the manager. I'm hindsight it may turn out to not work out but I trust his thought process at least more than my own dumbass opinion.

zenith

Yup, agree with this. ETH clearly has a very good idea of how he wants us to play and which specific attributes he wants in a striker. He clearly sees hojlund as having those.

I expect the goal scoring to be a shared responbility with the likes of rashford, bruno, as antony and Mount also taking up responsibility.

Strelok

This is my stance. Wish fans would acknowledge a little more that they actually know feck all. Even if someone has watched him in multiple full games this season, I think we see a different game to what the likes of ETH do. If it comes down to whether I trust my judgement more or the manager, I'll defer to the manager. I'm hindsight it may turn out to not work out but I trust his thought process at least more than my own dumbass opinion.
Tbh I'd agree with you both. I have huge trust in ETH as well. But I don't think it's a good idea just because of that we could look down to or reject any other opinion that disagree with you or ETH. Might better shut down the caf as well.

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
Supports
ETH's tricky reds
70 is too much for Hojlund, but he can do it here. He has the team around him to succeed if he is brought in. Still a huge gamble but we are literally built for someone like him since this dude is a big target body up front and we have all kinds of wingers to give him space and a midfield that is built to feed him. Bruno could have had 30+ assists last season if people could finish his link up plays.

Again, huge risk but it would be all on him to show up since all the pieces are there. If ETH wants him, then I can accept that he sees what he wants and he hasn’t been off (Erik) much at all since he came to us.

Bertie Wooster

I get a bit mixed up with all the different reported details from the ITK's rather than any official announcements.

I can't remember why we didn't buy Haaland when he left Molde. But when he left RB Salzburg a year later, we definitely did try but wasn't it meant to be something about us at that time beginning to want to lay down markers about not pandering to agents demands, etc? And so when Haaland's agent demanded big money, and that he had a release clause put in, we wouldn't do it but Dortmund would. I always thought that was the wrong deal to make a stance about as it was obvious back then that Haaland was something very special.

The Caicedo one was also a tricky deal with something like a number of agents involved, all wanting a piece of the money. And I guess he wasn't as obviously a 'generational talent' as Haaland. But, yeah, in hindsight two very poor transfers to make that stance about given those fees were pretty low and the players young and very talented.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
People keep looking at this the wrong way. No one is claiming there are no better alternatives. There quite clearly are.
However, do you really want us to spend £50m on Callum Wilson who is never going to be good enough anyway? Or another young striker who we're going to be stuck with for 5 years whose potential is piss poor and will take us absolutely nowhere, despite being currently slightly better than Højlund?

We're obviously buying Højlund for the future because he is a very highly rated young striker. Remember he is only 20, while the likes of Kolo Muani will be 25 this year, isn't really a striker and occupies same space as Rashford.

It makes no sense to buy an experienced striker now just because he is a little bit better when we're going to replace him in a year or two simply because he isn't good enough. Because, let's be real, the only striker right now that is good enough is Kane. Maybe Osimhen because he is a goal threat, despite lacking in aspects of the game that Ten Hag wishes to implement in our play style.
I agree with your reasoning, like I said I understand we're getting him for the future. I just find it hard to believe the bolded part is true.
If he's the one with the potential then fair enough.

Tbh I'd agree with you both. I have huge trust in ETH as well. But I don't think it's a good idea just because of that we could look down to or reject any other opinion that disagree with you or ETH. Might better shut down the caf as well.
Always makes me chuckle a bit when I see posters speaking with moral authority about others that they should keep quiet and trust the manager better than your own opinion. Like you said, discussing this stuff is what this board is made for.

70 is too much for Hojlund, but he can do it here. He has the team around him to succeed if he is brought in. Still a huge gamble but we are literally built for someone like him since this dude is a big target body up front and we have all kinds of wingers to give him space and a midfield that is built to feed him. Bruno could have had 30+ assists last season if people could finish his link up plays.

Again, huge risk but it would be all on him to show up since all the pieces are there. If ETH wants him, then I can accept that he sees what he wants and he hasn’t been off (Erik) much at all since he came to us.
Well that is an interesting point to discuss. He was spot on with Martinez, also did very well getting Eriksen on a free. Casemiro was a no brainer. Antony and Wout have not been far off from a failure. Sabitzer was a mistake but we were probably in panic mode so I wouldn't blame it on ETH. All in all his offensive choices have not been impressive so far.

Last edited:

Idxomer

But we're obviously also buying him for now, he can't be just for the future. This is the team that finished 3rd but had one of the worst striker options in the league for most of the season. We can't have a situation next season where this guy looking way off being ready for the PL while we're hoping for Martial to get fit.

Strelok

And so when Haaland's agent demanded big money, and that he had a release clause put in, we wouldn't do it but Dortmund would. I always thought that was the wrong deal to make a stance about as it was obvious back then that Haaland was something very special.
Back then most were happy with that decision, including me. Because we didn't want to be a stepping stone. In hindsight of course that's a bad decision but back then we still had Greenwood you know.

zaafi

I agree with your reasoning, like I said I understand we're getting him for the future. I just find it hard to believe the bolded part is true.
If he's the one with the potential then fair enough.
We should be aiming to get great strikers, or that will be great in the future. Who other than Kane and Osimhen are great that would realistically be available to us if we had the cash?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
But we're obviously also buying him for now, he can't be just for the future. This is the team that finished 3rd but had one of the worst striker options in the league for most of the season. We can't have a situation next season where this guy looking way off being ready for the PL while we're hoping for Martial to get fit.
That is my worry, he doesn't look ready and I fear we will be looking for a ready-made striker in next year anyway. Will we be hampered by this season spending again? Many questions mark here.
Hojlund looks like he could use another season or two in "favorable" environment (basically continue playing for Atalanta) if we want him to continue developing and current United will be just too much for him IMO.
In the end I will obviously back the manager but I have some doubts.

Abraxas

I don't think ETH would be going for him if he had no confidence he was ready to contribute in the PL. I'm not sure he'd want to place himself in that position.

I think all that is being said is we can't expect the ready made product with Hojlund. There is probably going to be a period of adjustment, and developing his game. But that doesn't mean he can't contribute over and above our striking options last season and make a difference. It's not a case of he will score 25 league goals or he'll be shite because he's not good enough. The reality might be a bit more mundane than either of those extremes.

zaafi

We are, but we can't expect him to come in and deliver right away. It doesn't work like that, and even if we want him to, we simply can't put that kind of pressure on him because it can affect his current trajectory in a negative way. I don't mind him playing every match as he's better than Weghorst anyway, but if he is going to get slaughtered like every young player that doesn't deliver immediately, it's likely going to end badly.

As you say, he is one for now, because he is an improvement on Weghorst, but primarily he is for the future.

As for the bolded part, I think that's exactly what's going to happen, but also with Rashford in the mix. Personally, I don't think we're going to get another striker, but it would absolutely be ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.