Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
LvG never should have sold Welbeck.
Welbeck never knew how to pin back defenders and hold up the ball properly, he was a bit clumsy pretty often and would get shrugged off despite being a strong guy. And he had horrible ball striking technique. Nowhere near that level of prospect.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Makes me feel better thinking that after Osimhen and Kane, there isn't any striker out there who I would have preferred to go for over Hojlund. Says more about the striker market tbf, and yes it's a huge price and overpriced, but every striker is overpriced, and I'd have rather pay too much for a CF than not get one in at all. And he's importantly the right type of CF and has huge potential.
I’d have preferred Toney or Kane as I do like a PL proven striker having grown up through the the SAF era, but it’s done now.

Look forward to seeing what he can do in the PL. And I think he’ll be a popular player with other players and fans alike.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Welbeck never knew how to pin back defenders and hold up the ball properly, he was a bit clumsy pretty often and would get shrugged off despite being a strong guy. And he had horrible ball striking technique. Nowhere near that level of prospect.
He was also injured quite a lot as well.

Not his fault, obviously, but it didn’t really help his cause.

Still, LvG shouldn’t have sold him - we could’ve done with him last season!

LvG also shouldn’t have sold Rafael imo.

bringbackbebe

Fee looks similar to what Liverpool paid for Nunez last year, which is probably the market rate for up and coming strikers in Europe. Looking forward to seeing him play for United.

Chief123

As a Dane I am very confident about this guy. We haven’t produced a striker for ages, but I believe in this guy. He is fast as hell and he shoots like a horse. He is good with the head as well. Would recommend you guys to watch the highlights of Denmark-Finland and the away game in Kazakhstan. I believe this kid is what we need. Can’t wait to see him. As a Brondby fan I also enjoy the idea of FC Copenhagen doing such bad business. I’ve always seen some light in this guy, but his development is still out of this world.
No I’m very nervous about this signing. I’ve never seen a horse who’s great at shooting. This is huge. Worrying.

Shimo

Other than the clips, not seen him play, so no idea what to expect. However but, know other than Kane and Osimhen, not really any that would take us up levels immediately. So if paid this much, then have to believe that the view is this season will be one that helps a little fill the gaping hole we have in the #9 position but, ultimately there is a consensus that he will develop into a top player and will serve the club for years to come.

Very glad we got it done with 2 weeks still before the season starts, gives him at least a little bit of a pre-season with the squad and get accustomed to style of play. I suspect that he will be eased in much like Casemiro was, with Martial / Rashford taking the CF slot and him coming off the bench and will depend on him staking a claim to become a starter.

Now if we can maybe get some of the outgoings done, we can look at getting Amrabat in. Clearly not everyone is happy with the signing but, would be a fantastic window from the managers point of view.

mshnsh

We live in a world where you have to pay for potential and it is clear that Hojlund clearly has that in spades. I feel that the comparisons with Nunez are a little unfair - Nunez came from a weaker league and was always hoping to be compared to the goal scoring freak that is Haaland.

Nunez scored 15 in his first season, I’d take that for Hojlund first season as I can see Rashford, Mount, Et al all contributing from midfield.
Nunez was gobshite. I hope Hojlund does much much better.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Finally got round to watching some videos of him now that it's pretty much confirmed.
Watched a few all touch videos first as I always find them more useful than the highlight ones, but then obviously watched his highlights after.

He seems like he'll suit our needs really well, he's another player that likes to press from the front and seems to try a lot of nice link up play after holding the ball up. My main worry would be his first touch seems to get away from him a lot and he won't have the time and space for that in the PL. Overall though he looks like he could become a physical beast with his size already and his pace to match, combine that with some of the close control dribbling in his highlights and you can definitely see the potential.

mshnsh

All signings are gambles. I expected alot from Antony and Sancho but let's bo honest, so far, so mediocre. On the flip side, the likes of Licha, Casemiro and Varane really improved us last season. Let's hope all the signings this season improve us.

croadyman

I’d have preferred Toney or Kane as I do like a PL proven striker having grown up through the the SAF era, but it’s done now.

Look forward to seeing what he can do in the PL. And I think he’ll be a popular player with other players and fans alike.
Still think we might go for Toney whether that’s in January or next summer (if Kane as expected joins Bayern in next couple of weeks)

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
As a Dane I am very confident about this guy. We haven’t produced a striker for ages, but I believe in this guy. He is fast as hell and he shoots like a horse.
You calling him a donkey already? Horses are just big donkeys.

Sir Erik ten Hag

All signings are gambles. I expected alot from Antony and Sancho but let's bo honest, so far, so mediocre. On the flip side, the likes of Licha, Casemiro and Varane really improved us last season. Let's hope all the signings this season improve us.
Varane in his 1st season with us (Ole's last) was a bit mediocre too. So hopefully Antony can take a similar step-up.

whitbyviking

For this fee I actually would have preferred Ramos or Kolo Muani, lets hope ETH has got this one right
Kolo Muani is older, less versatile and has one season of “doing it” at an older age. Since we’re all in the realms of pure speculation I’d say his ceiling is lower and last season was his peak, he’ll have a drop off this season.

Ramos was not available for this money, he would be minimum £20m more, and he doesn’t want to come to England. This is from a Portuguese Benfica fan I work with. He’s holding out for Spain.

whitbyviking

If he scores 60/70% of the absolute sitters we put on a plate for Wout last year then that will be 12-15 goals when extrapolated over a whole season. As long as he is better than Wout we will give him goals.

Looking at his play he will also improve the front line as his ability to create space and move effectively into the channels will create chances for both wide forwards, plus Bruno and Mount, or whoever else plays furthest forward in midfield.

Based on what is available int be market I think it’s a good signing. We have a highly rated player, physically suited to the league who wants to play for us.

Confidence won’t be a problem, all Scandinavian kids are told they are right and the best thing in the world from the day they are born. Over confidence is a bigger problem over here :lol:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
People seriously need to stop dreaming about Kane. There is no chance to sign him, at least not within our budget

erikcred

Confidence won’t be a problem, all Scandinavian kids are told they are right and the best thing in the world from the day they are born. Over confidence is a bigger problem over here :lol:
Did not expect this kind of insight into our new signing! Love it. Bored of the usual xg stuff.

zaafi

Endrik is considered a generational talent, Hojlund is not. Can't compare the two. A better comparison would be the fee Madrid paid for Luka Jovic, even then he had a greater body of work than Hojlund. We definitely overpaid, look at PSG first and final offer of 50m. That should've been the benchmark of even the fee Chelsea paid for Nicolas Jackson but again we went above our own internal valuation of the player. Teams will continue to push us to overpay on transfers, because we give in eventually all the time.
Since when is Endrick considered a generational talent? What has he ever done for this to be true? It's fascinating how every Brazilian signing that Real Madrid or Barcelona make are considered generational talent.

We overpaid, but so what? What difference does 10-15 mill make? Is it worth whining over constantly?

If you think Højlund would ever go for €30m from Atalanta, you're having a laugh. They bought him for €20m from Sturm Graz.

Ronaldinho's snakebite

This is the acid test for our new scouting department? It has been over a decade since we signed an up and coming player before they turned into world class player. We used to do that all the time under SAF.

For the last decade we are doing the opposite. Sign world class player to be flop in united.
There's nothing to be scouted about this kid though. He's already well known as one of the best young strikers in the world.
12-15 goals in his first season will be a fantastic season for him

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Probably because it affects FFP and thus has ramifications for future transfer windows, and it also directly affects whether or not other players can be signed, and if so, what players can be signed.

That would be my guess.
So people here have more understanding than the people who run our finances and know our limitations and requirements?
Even going by their argument “we overpaid”, then how by much you think he should have gone for? 20m less? That seeing the market wont get you anything.

Maybe its just like some like to complain no matter what and create fictional scenarios to moan about it. Its just not confined to football threads.

We have just signed a player and people here before he has even kicked a ball, have declared he is overpriced and not worth it

Idxomer

It was worth it if true and his transfer was achievable. Was no punt, guaranteed 20 goals a season minimum. Should have invested Mount's money in him in that case. But I think most probably we hit the Levy wall of big No to PL rivals otherwise I don't believe United are that stupid not to go for him all out.
There was no investing Mount's money in Kane or anyone else. That money was always going for a midfielder. Ten Hag was simply not going next season with Eriksen as 1st choice and Fred as his backup.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
There was no investing Mount's money in Kane or anyone else. That money was always going for a midfielder. Ten Hag was simply not going next season with Eriksen as 1st choice with Fred as his backup.
And without a proper midfield, Kane would be waiting all day for a decent ball upfront or play in midfield himself to touch the ball

Becks00

I would hope fans don’t see it this way. That’s what adds to the pressure and writing off early. Hopefully we’ll spread the goals between him, Bruno, Rashford and Antony / Sancho stepping up.
I know some don't want to hear of him but we really do have to integrate MG back into the team.

He has made a terrible mistake and I am quite sure it won't happen again for his whole footballing career, at least if he has any brain.

But a fit and inform MG helps significantly in putting the ball in the net.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Fee looks similar to what Liverpool paid for Nunez last year, which is probably the market rate for up and coming strikers in Europe. Looking forward to seeing him play for United.
yes but Nunez was coming off a 30+ goal season In the Portuguese league and champs league for Benfica

Hojlund scored 9 last season.

Josep Dowling

Madness at that fee. Will be too much pressure on him to succeed. The media will end up ripping him to pieces when he has a goalscoring drought. We should have stuck it out for Kane.

zaafi

yes but Nunez was coming off a 30+ goal season In the Portuguese league and champs league for Benfica

Hojlund scored 9 last season.
He scored 26 and he was their penalty taker. He also played in a weaker league than Serie A and cost up to €100m which is more than Højlund cost.
Not saying Nunez didn't look impressive, but I think your idea of "9 goals" is a bit ridiculous.

He scored 16 in 38 games in all competitions, and a lot of the games, he was either subbed in or subbed out.
However, it's not the goals you should be looking at, but his abilities and a combination of these to understand why he can be a great striker in no time.

IncyWincySpider

His fee is similar to the fees we paid for Sancho, Anthony and Maguire. I'm not sure how much pressure he'll feel in that company.

Anyway, hope he does well.

moodyred

I have said in my earlier post that Hojlund is more of high potential player than an established one which I feel we should try to sign.

Saying that, now that we have more or less signed Hojlund, I am looking forward to seeing him perform. He can become a very exciting no. 9 if it all clicks. It's now ETH's job to make it work!

UpWithRivers

He is a brilliant back up striker. That's how he should be.treated and it would be unfair and setting him up to fail if he is seen as a main striker. I fully expect Martial if fit and Rashford to play majority of the games as striker. Or we get another striker late in the window.

People think the fee indicates he must start but main strikers are 100 mill plus. Back up strikers around 60 by the look of it.

gajender

He scored 26 and he was their penalty taker. He also played in a weaker league than Serie A and cost up to €100m which is more than Højlund cost.
Not saying Nunez didn't look impressive, but I think your idea of "9 goals" is a bit ridiculous.

He scored 16 in 38 games in all competitions, and a lot of the games, he was either subbed in or subbed out.
However, it's not the goals you should be looking at, but his abilities and a combination of these to understand why he can be a great striker in no time.
He is pretty exciting Signing to be honest , If ignore the numbers for once even though they aren't shabby at all it's his all round attributes with no considerable weakness so to speak of which can't be worked upon makes him a pretty safe punt in my opinion .

If we nurture his talents well then I believe he has the ability to grow into almost a Complete forward capable of reaching real good level once he reaches his peak .

Last edited:

Idxomer

His fee is similar to the fees we paid for Sancho, Anthony and Maguire. I'm not sure how much pressure he'll feel in that company.

Anyway, hope he does well.
Those players aren't failing/underwhelming because of their fees or the pressure that follows. Maguire didn't even have much pressure for his first two seasons, and Antony never looks like a player bereft of confidence. Sancho's fee wasn't even seen as high at the time. A perceived player with a weak mentality like Martial had 28 goal contributions in his first season. He was actually someone when all the talk before he played was about his fee.

If Højlund has the quality and the manager's trust, he'll be fine.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
He is a brilliant back up striker. That's how he should be.treated and it would be unfair and setting him up to fail if he is seen as a main striker. I fully expect Martial if fit and Rashford to play majority of the games as striker. Or we get another striker late in the window.

People think the fee indicates he must start but main strikers are 100 mill plus. Back up strikers around 60 by the look of it.
Interesting thought process.

Welbeckham

I’ve been impressed when I’ve watched him. Quick feet, quick reactions, good movement, decent technique. Has some striker’s instinct too. Still has room to improve, but he’s very good already.

twitter thread suggester
Finally got round to watching some videos of him now that it's pretty much confirmed.
Watched a few all touch videos first as I always find them more useful than the highlight ones, but then obviously watched his highlights after.

He seems like he'll suit our needs really well, he's another player that likes to press from the front and seems to try a lot of nice link up play after holding the ball up. My main worry would be his first touch seems to get away from him a lot and he won't have the time and space for that in the PL. Overall though he looks like he could become a physical beast with his size already and his pace to match, combine that with some of the close control dribbling in his highlights and you can definitely see the potential.
Yeah his first touch is my biggest worry.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

In an ideal world Martial would start most games up top and Højlund and Rashford fill in when he's rested but I would be surprised if Martial can start 10 league games.

I'm somewhat ok with Rashford up top as Garnacho will keep developing on the wing. I think we'll see a lot of Højlund.

Paul778

Has anyone tweeted about when he gets to Manchester?

Ideally it would be great if everything would be wrapped up so he could join training the first day back from the tour. I would guess that would be Wednesday.

Judas

Open to offers

I can't believe how many times I've read this, this summer :lol: if I find a pot of gold at the end of the garden I'll be over the moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.