Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrcaFat

Yep and I think to compare him to those guys is a bit unfair to him too. There's a clear risk but looking at Kane or Drogba's early years isn't an indication of future success.
Comparing his record to those guys, or anyone, is not going to be enlightening beyond the obvious point that top line stats tell you little about a player’s abilities and potential at this age.

Looking at the basic attributes and all round performances and trying to assess those as best we can is the way to go. Which is what the club has done. There is always risk but this kid seems to have all the raw materials and the chances of him developing into a high output CF look good imo.

saivet

Watching some of his games it seems to me pace and physicality is the thing he won't have an issue with.
From the clips I've watched an issue of his seems to be ariel duals, so perhaps that might be one area he may struggle with competing with long balls against PL CBs. Given his size and strength, that should be an area he can improve quickly on though.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The same people doubting this transfer are probably the same ones that doubted Martinez. No pleasing some people.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy he's here.

Just funny how we always start with a low bid only to eventually pay just a couple million below asking price, it's as if we have 0 negotiating power.
:lol:
We should check how much they are being paid and maybe it's cheaper to just let them go and just pay whatever the club wants, since that seems to be the case anyway!

Denis79

ETH does rate Martial.

"I want him to be because he’s a great player – he definitely has the qualities to play in top football – and when he is fit our team plays better"
He might very well rate him highly but this quote doesn't prove it, he said the same about De Gea.

gajender

I feel sorry for fans who complain we’re cash strapped when the window starts but ignore the money we have spent previously
But the amount we have spent this summer doesn't suggest we are struggling for cash which could be construed as Our earlier spending not being much of deterrent either .

All this talk about financial issues regarding transfers is bit of a grey area there are lot of inconsistencies in way things are reported in media and the actual reality reflected by our actions , trying to make sense of all this and incessant moaning and complaints about fees and what not is just an exercise in futility .

whitbyviking

Kolo Muani and Ramos who are more proven as goal scorers I would expect to command that sort of fee guaranteed.
A year ago this lad cost 19m euros
I wrote this earlier in this thread, maybe even in response to you.

Muani is 4yrs older than Højland as has had one season with goals better than 1 in 3.5-4, in weaker leagues. I also believe he is less versatile and last season was his peak. He’s likely costing more too.

Ramos will be £80m minimum, his release clause is over £100m, and he doesn’t want to come to England. He is waiting for Spain.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
The Lord bless whosoever gave the go ahead of this signing...

Welcome Rasmus, the sky is never the limit Kid.

El Jefe

Wrong. Everyone has the right to an opinion. But when it’s literally the same posters every single transfer window saying the same stuff over and over again it begins to grate.
I must have missed this then. In the Mount thread I definitely saw an irrational amount of negativity from some but in the Onana thread and this one I'll be honest I haven't really seen it. I've seen reservations based on a number of legitimate reasons but nothing over the top.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Hasn't even signed yet and he's being compared to Haaland to the nth degree FFS.

These comparisons will either motivate him or eat him alive.

Hughie77

Let see how he goes.. I just hope he can cope with the Premier league. As for the price tag sadly its how it is especially for Utd everyone knows the price goes up, and apparently the boy only wanted to move to Utd?

Martial has now got to stay fit to push this kid..

tomaldinho1

Its a different market. Go find me a back up striker you can get for less than 60? How much would Arsenal ask for Nketiah? How much would Man City demand for Alverez? In this market. Today? Liverpool spent 100 for Nunes and 40 for Gakpo. I bet Gakpo would be 50-60 in this market.
He’s (Gakpo) also not really a 9 and is more importantly average. CF is the hardest to find by far in my opinion.

Widow

Not really but ok.
Rashford and even Weghorst and Ronaldo. Martial was first above these
Martial was above WW and Ronaldo, shocker! One wasn't good enough and the other couldn't do what he wanted and wanted to leave.

Rashford plays wide left first and foremost. It's where he wants to play and where he plays best so of course TM plays through the middle with MR wide left. Martial was played out of necessity rather than preference.

This isn't really the thread for this discussion

klsv

Bunch of crybabies moaning about posters who have reservations about this signing or any signing so far are embarrassing tbh.

Not everyone has to like everything we do. There's a difference between negativity and giving an honest opinion. If we signed Mbappe and posters were moaning then the moaning about the moaners would make sense. This signing is far from an obvious slam dunk.

Mount and Højlund are very polarising deals and I can see why some may not be in favour of both. I personally liked the Mount signing but there were those who didn't like it that I understood where they were coming from. Its on Mount to prove himself now. Its the same with Højlund, I can't imagine any fan wants him to fail but the criticism of this move has its merits.

I often get the feeling some posters ideal setting of this forum is an eco chamber of being Tp reds.
Yes, because being content and happy with everything is a major issue on the Caf.

Seveneric

The United shirt can weigh heavy on some players, so it is up to the fans to get behind their players and not destroy them before they have even signed a contract.
Yes and in return, the players are being rewarded (and in some cases more than they actually deserve, going by that wage bill). So phrasing it as "you don't know why players would pick United" because fans are mean to them online, when an overwhelming majority of matchgoing fans get behind the player is bizarre. Not sure why so many of you enjoy kowtowing to multi-millionaries getting rich off you, weird stuff.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
But the amount we have spent this summer doesn't suggest we are struggling for cash which could be construed as Our earlier spending not being much of deterrent either .

All this talk about financial issues regarding transfers is bit of a grey area there are lot of inconsistencies in way things are reported in media and the actual reality reflected by our actions , trying to make sense of all this and incessant moaning and complaints about fees and what not is just an exercise in futility .
The fact we are signing Hojlund and not Kane /Osimhen when signing a world class no9 was ETH priority at the start of the window suggests we have financial issues.

The fact we didn’t put in a bid for Rice despite him reportedly being a priority target for ETH suggests we have financial issues.

The fact we didn’t even enter the conversation for Bellingham…

The fact we signed Weghorst on loan in Jan instead of spending money on a CF when we were clearly short points to financial issues

gajender

They genuinely have no shame. They can’t wait to do a 3 hour build up with this as the focus on the first derby
Comparisons are inevitable Let them do it , but it would be glorious if Hojlund can score the winning goal and Haaland is Kept quite in their First Derby we can hope can't we .

Withnail

All players are immediately divisive on the Caf, because the Caf always has that vocal element that are ready to have a moan about literally anything. There isn’t a single transfer in the last decade that didn’t come with a fair share of doomsayers. The list of what people get wound up about and the red flags they find is as interminable as it is often contradictory. And of course when someone complains about everything, they are going to sometimes be right; which just reinforces the self aggrandising rhetoric and deepens the nihilistic malaise.

The amount of premature ejaculation that will occur on here this season after a missed Hojlund chance or a poor Mount performance, is going to be almost as revolting as the inevitable “I told you so”s. Never mind the deafening silence after a good performance, because the resident quim burgers always have another target to move on to.

Let us never forget that this is the place that gave us the now infamous “Rashford, new contract or sell” thread, in which an unhealthy amount of posters insisted we should release him on a free due to his overwhelming and incurable shiteness. Those of us who pointed out the utter madness of this suggestion were mocked and vilified for extolling values such as patience and reason, because as Mark Twain said; “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.”

So no, the divisiveness of a signing is not indicative of anything to do with the quality of a signing. It’s just a by product of the enormous amounts of mouth frothing, knee jerking, miserable stupidity regularly on display here. I genuinely believe that there is a sizeable portion of this forum that actually want to see Hojlund fail so they think they can look good by predicting we overpaid. Of course they won’t look good, ever. Not now in moaning about the fee, or later doing their tribalistic “I knew better” song and dance. In both instances they will look like the embittered, toxic, hate-fans that they really are.
Well said!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
(a) He's 20, look at the goal records at that age of Ibra, Costa, Drogba, Kane (as mentioned) and lots more; (b) his goal/minutes and g/a/minutes record is actually pretty good, with half those appearances being 20 mins here and there; (c) for people claiming only we'd pay this kind of money, Napoli paid a similar price for Osimhen in the French league with a not especially spectacular scoring record, and in a slightly 'less inflated market; (d) related to that, it's not about current scoring rates, but about potential, which also relates to short and longer-term contribution - there are strikers with higher scoring numbers but whose physical attributes and general style means they have a lower ceiling of effectiveness...

Obviously it's a risk, but working within the 'gravity' of our non-City budget, and Levy's attitude to sell Kane, who is this guaranteed finisher who can also play within PL's intensity and in ETH's style that we should have signed instead?
I don’t disagree with the rest of this post but I think we have to the notion of us having ‘nowhere near the budget of City’. We have been working with comparable resources for the last decade, it’s just that we have been using it very poorly.

This transfer window alone we are going to end up with close to £180m plus whatever we end up paying for Amrabat. Probably close to £400m since Ten Hag’s arrival.

With Hojlund it’s hard to tell how good he will be. He’s been on a pretty rapid development curve recently as he has gone from Copenhagen bench and a €1.8m transfer to Sturm Graz to a £60m+ transfer within 18 months, it is obviously a massive gamble but hopefully one that pays off.

SirAF

Ageist
Surprised at all the moaning in here. I'm pretty excited about this signing!

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
The fact we are signing Hojlund and not Kane /Osimhen when signing a world class no9 was ETH priority at the start of the window suggests we have financial issues.

The fact we didn’t put in a bid for Rice despite him reportedly being a priority target for ETH suggests we have financial issues.

The fact we didn’t even enter the conversation for Bellingham…
Osimhen is valued at 200m euros by Napoli. They rejected 130m bid from Saudi and close to 120m from PSG earlier.
These deals are no comparable anymore.

Just FYI you guys have now spend 400m+ (all in) since ETH joined. And would still buy a midfielder yet. So he is getting all the backing from the club.

OrcaFat

We should just buy Haaland from City
Yeah. Better make sure we get Kane and Osimhen as “backup” while we’re at it. And by the way, we can get all three for half what we’re paying for this Hojlund bloke.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Good post, but the question is weather we'll actually have the patience to develop him or he'll stagnate here once we decide we need a more experienced striker.

Contrary to a popular belief around here, players don't develop off the bench.
I have bored people to death with this idea. If we sign a young player that has a high potential then we need to play him. There is no ifs and buts, there is no what about the pressure or anything, the most recent good example of that is Vinicius people seem to forget that Vinicius wasn't ready, he struggled for a while which culminated with the infamous clip of Benzema allegedly telling other teammates to stop giving him the ball during a game. They kept playing him and he rewarded them.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Osimhen is valued at 200m euros by Napoli. They rejected 130m bid from Saudi and close to 120m from PSG earlier.
These deals are no comparable anymore.

Just FYI you guys have now spend 400m+ (all in) since ETH joined. And would still buy a midfielder yet. So he is getting all the backing from the club.
Napoli actually valued him at 150m euros. He didnt want to go to Saudi.

Id rather Osimhen than Mount + Hojlund. However the point clearly is that we cannot afford to sign the world class no9 ETH demanded start of the window. Even ETH himself this summer said sometimes you can’t get what you want and you have to compromise. He is clearly compromising on the no9 because of finance

He compromised last summer on the GK also due to finance and it cost us in 2 cups

Hoof the ball

It's not speed in this league, although I'd say on average the defenders are quicker here but it's the speed of transition and the lack of time, meaning your technique and awareness need to be too notch. Quick players come to the league and are made to look ponderous etc.
Oh! That reminds me, I'm about to start a new thread on something in a moment related to that! I'll link it there.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Kolo Muani and Ramos who are more proven as goal scorers I would expect to command that sort of fee guaranteed.
A year ago Kolo Muani was free, with an average Bundesliga club the best interst he could muster

How to contradict yourself in so few words

Remember the geese

I'm not so sure that Muani fits the profile of centre forward we were looking for. Ramos does, but perhaps we view Højlund as the bigger talent or deem Ramos to be too expensive.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Is he fast? We need proper pace up front. Not just for long sprints from balls over the top but quick acceleration in the box to get to balls first.

Status
Not open for further replies.