Votes: 48 15.1%

Votes: 19 6.0%

Votes: 4 1.3%

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 10 - OMG! OMG! OMG!

Votes: 5 1.6%

• Total voters

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Maguire - An above average player who offers nothing particularly special. Worse than that he thinks he is better than he actually is and it's a sad indictment on the current quality of the game's central defenders that the club somehow managed to break the transfer record for this player. We'll be lamenting these facts by the end of the season if not the following one.
How did it go so wrong so quick for you?

beingshe7don

If we take into consideration Jan & the Summer transfer window, I think we did good, NOT great but we did the bare minimum by getting Maguire and Wan Bassaka in and obviously Dan James was a bonus although he was not required. We also did well by the sale of Lukaku and Fellaini. However, we did lose Herrera on a free as well. Now, we still have players like Sanchez, Matic, Fred, Darmian, Young, Mata, Jones, Smalling, Rojo & Bailly who need to be sold and they are still here. We have a lot of deadwood in the team which could weigh us down as the season proceeds and fatigue sets in, suspensions and injuries. Also, with Fellaini, Herrera, and Lukaku out, we haven't got any replacements in, which may or may not be a crucial factor in determining our season. We started the season beating a depleted Chelsea 4-0 in which we played fairly poorly for the first 20 min and Chelsea had the upper hand for the first 60 min of the game. All we had going for us in that game was we were at home and backed by the fans, we had great stamina and energy and we were more importantly clinical in front of goal. So I wouldn't get too carried away. Wolves will be a real crunch tie for us as they would like to bounce back from a boring 0-0 draw at Leicester.

SCJY

The fact we got rid of Mark Henry makes it an automatic 10 in my book.

kthanksbye

Average, nothing more than that.
We bought 3 players from clubs that are smaller than us in stature, paid the asking price on all 3 occasions, and the players most likely more than doubled their salaries. None of those signings are a masterstroke, and it took us the entire window to do this.
Good thing is that at least we targeted the right players.
We've also failed to replace Lukaku and Herrera, and haven't been able to get rid of some of the deadwood yet.

Bestietom

Average, nothing more than that.
We bought 3 players from clubs that are smaller than us in stature, paid the asking price on all 3 occasions, and the players most likely more than doubled their salaries. None of those signings are a masterstroke, and it took us the entire window to do this.
Good thing is that at least we targeted the right players.
We've also failed to replace Lukaku and Herrera, and haven't been able to get rid of some of the deadwood yet.
It will be harder to get rid of the deadwood than to bring players in. But knowing that we were short in midfield, ( Herrera and Fellaini gone) and then selling Lukaku without replacing any of them, makes us weaker this year. If we get any injuries to our top players we are in trouble.

ExecutionerWasp001

I feel we've been shafted again by Ed & the Glazers. They recouped half the Summer outlay by selling Lukaku. They would have known the Lukaku transfer was going to get through & should have had a replacement lined up so we could act as soon as he'd signed his contract at Inter. They've instead decided to pocket the cash.

Tahith Chong on the Bong

The net result of the window is that we have a limted front 3 or 4 players that need to double the numbers of goals scored this season each for us to at least stay in and around 5th. To do better one of them needs to step up and get near 30 goals. Been a long time since we had a 30 goal season from a striker. Had a good start so no reason not too, if they dont then we could be in big trouble.

Ballist1x

Wow I hear Inter Milan are now interested in Alexis Sanchez and might offer cash for him!

If we can clear him out even for a low ish price and that allows us to bring in a midfielder in January then I say do it!

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
My first post on the Cafe after 4 months therefore first of all i wanna laugh and cry about my transfer wish list in April (It was in a now closed thread) :lol::(

Therefore a 2 for our transfer window.
- I think a 100 million transfer budget is fair and realistic.
- I would buy at least 8 players (Maguire is 26...the other seven would be 22 or younger) because we need drastic changes in the current squad.....enough is enough with so many "deadwood players".....and with these 8 players you can play sexy attacking football :)

TRANSFERS
BUY (420m)
Havertz - 90
Alternatives would be Eriksen/Maddison/Bruno Fernandes.
Ruben Neves - 70
I want him so much at our club since i saw him at FC Porto........alternatives would be Rice/Ndidi/Roca.
Maguire - 70
Maguire is my realistic wish because i don't think we will get De Ligt, Koulibaly or Skriniar.....alternatives would be Alderweireld/Konate/Uppamecano.
Alena - 50
Barca could need a bit of money and with also new midfield arrivals we should get him like Bayern Munich have done it with Thiago.....alternatives would be Ndombele/Aouar/Pellegrini.
Hudson-Odoi - 50
I know he is now injured and his best position is as left winger but i would still sign him and would play him for one season on the right wing before Sancho will come ;).....alternatives would be Chiesa/Lozano/Pepe.
Wan-Bissaka - 45
Alternatives would be Aarons/James/Meunier
Sessegnon - 25
We should get him because he will be now not so expensive after Fulham's relegation....no alternatives because they would be so much more expensive :lol:
Tierney - 20
Shaw needs real competition....Chilwell would be my dream signing but i don't think we will get him because i think he will go to Manchester City :(...alternatives would be Grimaldo/Telles/Wendell.

SELL (320m)
Pogba - 150 (A shame it hasn't worked to 100% :( )
Lukaku - 70
Fred - 30
Jones - 25
Bailly - 20
Sanchez - 10 (A shame it hasn't worked because he was always one of my favourite players :( )
Rojo - 10
Darmian 5
Mata - 0
Herrera - 0
Valencia - 0
Young - 0
Wilson - 0
Borthwick-Jackson - 0
Gribbin - 0
O'Hara - 0
Whelan - 0
Warren - 0
Buffonge - 0
Baars - 0
Dearnley - 0
Poole - 0
Willock - 0
Olosunde - 0
Tanner - 0
Sang - 0
Thompson - 0

LOANS
Henderson
J.Pereira
Fojticek
Hamilton
Barlow
Loans for Fosu-Mensah/Mitchell/Gomes/Chong/Garner then possible in January

SQUAD
GOALKEEPERS
De Gea, Romero & Grant

DEFENDERS
Wan-Bissaka, Dalot, Lindelöf, Maguire, Tuanzebe, Smalling, Fosu-Mensah, Shaw, Tierney & Mitchell

MIDFIELDERS
Central
Ruben Neves, Alena, McTominay, Matic, A.Pereira & Garner
Attacking
Martial, Havertz, Hudson-Odoi, Lingard, Sessegnon, Gomes & Chong

STRIKERS
Rashford & Greenwood

BEST TEAM
Starting XI

De Gea - Wan-Bissaka, Lindelöf, Maguire, Shaw - Alena, Ruben Neves; Hudson-Odoi, Havertz, Martial - Rashford
Bench
Romero, Tuanzebe, Tierney, McTominay, Lingard, Sessegnon & Greenwood

NoPace

Really, really wish we'd bought a central midfielder or two and a creative, right-sided attacker.
Yeah, it was inexcusable not to come out of the summer with at least one of the #10 or RW positions filled, then at least you could hope that someone in the squad emerges to be the other first XI midfielder. Instead we have 9 first choice players (Martial, Rashford, Pogba, McTominay, Shaw, Lindelof, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, De Gea) and then 2 spots where it's tough to see anyone having a strong season, really, and at gunpoint the fact that I'd back a 17 year old first among them says it all.

I think if we'd pressed really hard for Ziyech and made him feel wanted we could have gotten him for a decent fee. Short of that, there were other possible solutions like topping PSG's salary offer for Sarabia (maybe risky on a 5 year deal at 27 though and also he probably would have just picked PSG), Ceballos or Perisic on loan.

Or of course we could be a well run club and have had a deal lined up for someone like Brandt or Aouar or short of that some balls and scouting and have found a good, productive midfielder ready to step up a level for 20-30M like Leicester did with Maddison. I know we signed James but he obviously was one for the future and can only be asked to provide legs and width, not the 8-10 goals and assists we need as a minimum from a guy starting 30 times in the Prem in an attacking position.

If Ole doesn't think Mata is a clear starter ahead of Lingard as a 10 against a side we know is going to play in a low block and on the counter in Wolves, then he should have been allowed to leave and his wages would have covered the wages of a new player or loanee.

Pavl3n

I rated it 7.
Might be a bit overrated, but I'm happy with the direction the team is going. It's not about splashing the cash, but it's about bringing in the right players.
This transfer window feels a bit as if we have a DoF in charge, who has planned the signings. A specific profile that rather fits the club than the manager. The club would rather sign the right player, instead of a stop gap player who we would most certainly overpay for and overpay his wages too. Such players were Rojo, Darmian, Fellaini, Blind, Valdes, Buttner, Schweinschteiger.
Disappointed, not to have replaced Herrera, but so happy we got rid of Fellaini and Lukaku. The fact we haven't replaced Herrera is that burning issue. Eriksen is a great player, but 2/3 season down the line and we'll be calling for his head and I bet we would have given him big wages, just because Sanchez is still in the squad. I'd be happier if we bring in next winter or summer someone like AWB or Maguire. Someone that you know would be here for at least the next 5 years and would fit in seamlessly and will improve the team right away. Just as we feel Sancho would.
I am looking forward to the remaining weeks of transfer window to trim down the squad even more. I think Rojo would definitely leave. Would be happy if we get rid of Sanchez, even if it means we'll be really thin up front. And hopefully Darmian leaves too. Then next summer, we could see one of Smalling, Jones and Bailly leave too and bring LB that not only will replace Young, but would be upgrade on Shaw too.

Fosu-Mens

3/10.

AWB: Positively surprised by him. Able to defend on his own against fast and technical players. If he can fix his passing and offensive part to make it not be an issue, then we have a really good player on our hands. Could also see him playing as a central defender in a three backline or potentially as a defensive midfielder if needed.

Maguire: Better than what we currently have, but that is not saying much. Would rather have seen the money being spent on central midfielders. His lack of mobility combined with little protection from the midfielders might cause serious issues this season.

Daniel James: Low cost, low-risk transfer. Got pace and effort, but lacks the technical ability to perform at this level when there is no or little space for him to run in. Could have got Pellegrini from Roma for around the same price and he would have started every game for us.

The biggest issue before the summer and the most crucial area in the team to have good players in was not addressed at all. If we had gotten one decent midfielder that was able to pass and help to play out of defense, we would have been a much better team compared to the improvements that acquiring AWB or Maguire made.

Angelinho

5 - Happy with the 3 players brought in and that Lukaku has gone for a reasonable price.

However, we've now sold/released Lukaku, Fellaini & Herrera & not replaced any of them. Sanchez may yet go, leaving a squad that is woefully thin in midfield and up front.

It was always going to be difficult to correct all the problems in one window, however it should have been possible to reinvest the Lukaku fee this window, to leave us a little less short than we are.

Craig Ward

It has to be classed as a very good window.

Its the first transfer window in YEARS where we look to have a clear transfer strategy instead of paying over the odds for someone City wants.

It just makes sense and sets a good tone. If we have 3/4 windows where we ship some players out who do not fit into Ole's plans and continue to sign the kind of players that DO fir into Ole's plans then that will make us better window by window.

We have am identity again now.

How people can rate this window as anything but a success is beyond me.

I agree, it wasn't PERFECT, but it was a step in the right direction. I think we should have signed a #10 - but think we have a capable squad for top 4 until that can be addressed in Jan/next summers window

Still time to sell Rojo/Darmian. More unwanted/not needed players to be sold the better

Yagami

Good post resistant
I wonder if those who classed this as a good window still think so?

We've got average players like McTominay, James and Lingard starting for us, and what makes it worse is they probably should as our bench options in Pereira, Mata and a 17 year old are atrocious.

Say what you want about Lukaku and Herrera but it's mental that we didn't replace either of them. Herrera was our 2nd best CM; miles ahead of Fred, Matic and McTominay, and Lukaku, for all his faults, would still be a decent bench option to have just for some depth.

We really need to buy in January.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Our transfer window isn’t any worse because Sanchez is going/gone.

Good riddance, glad to see the back of him.

Redcy

No way we are buying in January, so we better hope some of those players who are currently a pile of turd somehow improve in quality and output.

JK-27

Given that we lost to Palace with a team built on 'youth' who had no plan B, can't defend even against teams who otherwise struggle to score, sold our top scorer over 2 seasons to Inter, and if Rashford or Martial get injured our back-up is a 17 year old, it would seem to me that keeping Sanchez made football sense.

If you don't think that, then you're basically saying you're happy for another 'building year' - which will be the 6th year in a row we've been 'building'.

Yagami

Good post resistant

It definitely is for me because we have even less depth now. Plus, it's not even a transfer. We're still paying half his wages to play elsewhere, and there's not even an obligatory buy clause.

I mean, look at our bench against Palace...

starman

Interesting how some people reduced their scores because Sanchez is leaving. Lukaku & Sanchez out is a major win imo. Throw in Rojo, Darmian and Jones/Bailly before the European window closes and it would be one of the best clear outs we've ever had.

No doubt transfers ins we are missing a RW and CM but out is good so far...

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The issue isn't shipping out Sanchez and Lukaku, it's not replacing them properly. We've brought in a promising Championship winger and promoted a 17 year old with no senior goals in their place. It's nice to give youth a chance and all that but we're extremely light up top and now have almost no genuine leadership experience.

We could have brought in a world-class striker/winger and there still would have been room to develop Greenwood. As is, we're relying on him to hit the ground running.

LInkash

One more goal and James matches Sanchez' goals for last season. Wasn't hard to replace a nothing player.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Interesting how some people reduced their scores because Sanchez is leaving. Lukaku & Sanchez out is a major win imo. Throw in Rojo, Darmian and Jones/Bailly before the European window closes and it would be one of the best clear outs we've ever had.

No doubt transfers ins we are missing a RW and CM but out is good so far...
Great outs sure, but without ins (which is the main reason for a transfer window) it is pretty poor

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
One more goal and James matches Sanchez' goals for last season. Wasn't hard to replace a nothing player.
He will also match Sanchez's league tally of 3 goals in 18 months.

Eric7C

I was generous and gave 3/10 purely because the defense will be much stronger this year. But to sell midfield and forward players without adequate replacements for a club of United's size is criminally negligent and a disaster that we will see unfold this season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The issue isn't shipping out Sanchez and Lukaku, it's not replacing them properly. We've brought in a promising Championship winger and promoted a 17 year old with no senior goals in their place. It's nice to give youth a chance and all that but we're extremely light up top and now have almost no genuine leadership experience.

We could have brought in a world-class striker/winger and there still would have been room to develop Greenwood. As is, we're relying on him to hit the ground running.
this

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Maguire - 8/10, good CB, he is what we need, great ariel presence, good passer and leader, but overpriced and slow too.

AWB - 9/10, great young fullback, massively improve our right back instantly, one of our best signings in years

James - 8/10, he is not ready for starting lineup in our first team yet imo, but 2 goals in 3 games, only cost us 15m, couldn’t really ask for more.

Herrera - 2/10, losing Herrera on free and without replacement bought, is suicidal

Fellanin - 7/10, would be 9/10 if we get a replacement, understandably he is not the player we want to build in future, but losing Fellaini without replacement bought makes our midfield looks thinner

Lukaku - 6/10, would be 8/10 if we get a replacement, he is fat and does not looks part of our future, but still he guarantee us 15-20 goals a season, selling him without replacement is worrying, but we did manage to get a good deal from him

Sanchez (Loan) - 7/10, would be 10/10 if we manage to completely offload him and get another replacement. But given the current status of our club, loan him out while still contribute a large part of salary, when we only have 3 striker (1 injured 1 unproven) was not a very wise move. He is still useless though.

So overall 6.5/10

Thing is, if we have bought some good midfielder (ie Maddison) to replace Herrera, it would have been 8/10 season for us.

Even more so, if we have bought some good forward (ie Sancho) to replace Lukaku/Sancho, it would have been 10/10

Last edited:

Mark Pawelek

6 / 10 - Like Gary Neville says - 1st do no harm. Don't make any mistakes. The only mistake United really made was not giving Herrera a new contract but giving Mata one. I'd like to see Angel Gomes or Andreas given Mata's minutes.

About the lack of spending. Ole and the board get as much money as the owners allow.

Bestietom

Maguire and Wan Bissaka were good buys. James gives us another option on the right wing, but he is not the finished product.
Delighted that we have moved on Lukaku and Sanchez ( loan) but should have been replaced.
We did not replace Herrera or Fellaini in Midfield and with Matic, Fred, and Pereira as the only ones to fall back on if Pogba or McTominay get injured, we will be down in midtable. I'm waiting to see what and who we can get in January, Yes January.
Prommises, Prommises, and never fulfilled. REBUILD my ass. 5/10

starman

Great outs sure, but without ins (which is the main reason for a transfer window) it is pretty poor
Disagree, Maguire, AWB and James are all very good signings.
I considering James a Sanchez replacement, he will give the team far more in his first 18 months than Sanchez ever did.
Martial is a Lukaku replacement. Greenwood will in theory be Martial's replacement.

Any talking of not replacing Sanchez or Lukaku is simply not true, anyone that says it, in their world it means replacing expensive disappointments should be done with more expensive players

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Disagree, Maguire, AWB and James are all very good signings.
I considering James a Sanchez replacement, he will give the team far more in his first 18 months than Sanchez ever did.
Martial is a Lukaku replacement. Greenwood will in theory be Martial's replacement.

Any talking of not replacing Sanchez or Lukaku is simply not true, anyone that says it, in their world it means replacing expensive disappointments should be done with more expensive players
You are aware how many players left and for which positions we bought?

starman

You are aware how many players left and for which positions we bought?
You are aware how bloated the squad was/is?

A high quality RW and CM is needed, but that was needed before any player left under Ole.

Sanchez, Rojo, Darmian and Bailly/Jones all can leave and we dont need to replace them from whats already available in the squad

Last edited:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

A high quality RW and CM is needed, but that was needed before any player left under Ole.

Sanchez, Rojo, Darmian and Bailly/Jones all can leave and we dont need to replace them from whats already available in the squad
Where except CB is it bloated? We will be in trouble if 2 players get injured and we missed an opportunity to add further quality to the team. Big issue which will show during the season

Siorac

Given that we lost to Palace with a team built on 'youth' who had no plan B, can't defend even against teams who otherwise struggle to score, sold our top scorer over 2 seasons to Inter, and if Rashford or Martial get injured our back-up is a 17 year old, it would seem to me that keeping Sanchez made football sense.

If you don't think that, then you're basically saying you're happy for another 'building year' - which will be the 6th year in a row we've been 'building'.
Yes, IF Sanchez could be expected to actually contribute in a meaningful way. In reality, a training cone would provide similar depth and options.

Redcy

Of which we have neither, and wont be buying until next year, as has been said we are literally an injury away in Midfield or Attack from fielding 17/18 yo or players who are shite as permanent players. If Martial is out for 3 months say, we are then going 3 months with Greenwood/Mata in the team

starman

Of which we have neither, and wont be buying until next year, as has been said we are literally an injury away in Midfield or Attack from fielding 17/18 yo or players who are shite as permanent players. If Martial is out for 3 months say, we are then going 3 months with Greenwood/Mata in the team
As opposed to Lukaku & Sanchez being the previous alternatives. I prefer Greenwood and James over those two...

starman

Where except CB is it bloated? We will be in trouble if 2 players get injured and we missed an opportunity to add further quality to the team. Big issue which will show during the season
But the players that have left are Lukaku and Sanchez, two forward players. If there is a issue it will be addressed in January. Herrera is the only player I was disappointed that left previously

As I said, Greenwood/Gomes/Chong & James > Sanchez & Lukaku.

When people say we never replaced Lukaku & Sanchez, we never replaced their reputation. In time it will be proved what they offered the team will be more than replaced