Rate our Summer 2022 Transfer Window so far (Out of 10)

Kag

I'm not against Dalot getting a chance until at least January, however CM is huge issue
Wan-Bissaka isn’t fancied at all and needed to be replaced this window.

I’d like a player in the mould of De Jong and I suspect so would Ten Hag. Unfortunately, they’re hard to find. We have six first team options and Casemiro is finally the sort of quality we needed defensively, so I’d expect Ten Hag to find a combination that works.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
In terms of personnel it's been very good. The negotiation and planning side has been pretty terrible so I'm pretty amazed we've been able to bring the quality of players needed.

For instance:
  • Malacia - Hijacked from Lyon on the final day who agreed a fee.
  • Martínez - Timber fell through, we outbid Arsenal who showed interest must earlier than us and signed him.
  • Eriksen - Spurs dropped their interest so we beat Brentford to him.
  • Casemiro - Signed after deals for Frenkie and Rabiot fell through.
  • Antony - No complains with this one to be honest, dealing with Ajax was never going to be easy. Thank God we didn't sign Arnautović.

I'd say 7/10. We've some how managed to get a very good standard of players in despite all the hurdles. This style of recruitment can't go on long run but I'm glad it worked out at least.
Good summary and I agree. The players are great but the negotiation and business side could do with some improvement. I'd also add that with these 5 signings we are one signing away from having a majority new team from last season, a true ETH team that he picked. It'll probably be with a striker and keeper next year so exciting times.

Tony247

5 first teamers so far. That's half the squad rebuilt in one window.

Alemar

Now Antony is done, add Osimhen (disposing of Ronaldo) and it’s a solid 9/10 window.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Eriksen and Casemiro are practically OAPs
Malacia we didn’t need
Martinez he is an expensive garden gnome
Antony is too expensive

0/10

if we add another 6 this week then we can bump it up to 3/10

sack murtough
Sack Fletcher

Am I doing it right

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I would say that it’s an excellent window if we finish Antony deal. We are a long way away and you can’t solve everything in one window

Alemar

If we add Osimhen, it’s a 10/10, but definitely not happening this summer.
Not at all, 10 is better than that. Still many needs remaining, but for ONE window it would be a solid 9. If it’s Osimhen plus GK/RB then it’s a 10. With a CM on top we are entering 11/10 territory

Woziak

Two 30 year old midfielders, brilliant material for a left back and Lisandro after 6+ players leaving and main striker still doesn't know where he's gonna play if his agent won't tell him.

We're really lucky Eriksen was available for free. Negligence on the right side is burning a massive hole in United's football.

Not a one single striker after Cavani, Greenwood and possibly Ronaldo leaving is a f*ckin disgrace.

4/10
Totally agree don’t understand why you and I my friends are in the minority

Lecland07

8/10

Martinez (CB)
Casemiro (DM)
Malacia (LB)
Antony (RW)
Eriksen (AM/CM)

Good signings - it creates a lot of depth in squad and improves upon what we got rid of in the summer. We were never going to get everyone we need, but it is a very good summer transfer window.

People were jumping the gun with the criticism this window. It doesn't close until September.

Jacob

7/10. Let's be honest, nobody thought it would be this good. We plugged a lot of holes and it was always unlikely that we would fix everything in one window.

Jacob

The fact that we released/lost a lot of players has nothing to do with how well we bought this window. They were surplus to requirements.

Ricardo de la Vega

Think terrible is a bit harsh
We still need a goalkeeper, a right back, a striker, and a number 8. These are not "we could improve here" but absolutely vital, glaring holes in our team. We just got battered by Brentford and Brighton. Dont let two wins on the bounce fool you.

croadyman

We still need a goalkeeper, a right back, a striker, and a number 8. These are not "we could improve here" but absolutely vital, glaring holes in our team. We just got battered by Brentford and Brighton. Dont let two wins on the bounce fool you.
I am not fooled but like others have said here we couldn't do it all in one summer

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
7/10. Let's be honest, nobody thought it would be this good. We plugged a lot of holes and it was always unlikely that we would fix everything in one window.
5 starters in. Still need a Goalie, Right Back, striker and Midfielder. I agree 7/10.

It doesn’t look like we are done just yet.

BaguetteBoy

5 starters in. Still need a Goalie, Right Back, striker and Midfielder. I agree 7/10.

It doesn’t look like we are done just yet.
I think it’s a bit naive to think ETH could fix everything in one window.

Overall considering we got rid of players who was here collecting a pay check and causing trouble etc… got mainly starting players would have love to have got FDJ too. I will give it 8/10. Bring on next window

AgentP

I think it’s been a good window so far with 5 starters coming in. If we manage to sell Ronaldo and get another striker in who will suit ETH’s style of play, I’ll give this window a 9/10.

I know we still need a GK, RB, CM and ST. But it’s unrealistic to think we can get all these signings in one window.

croadyman

I think it’s been a good window so far with 5 starters coming in. If we manage to sell Ronaldo and get another striker in who will suit ETH’s style of play, I’ll give this window a 9/10.

I know we still need a GK, RB, CM and ST. But it’s unrealistic to think we can get all these signings in one window.
Yeah we aren't bankrolled so very true, how about Memphis as someone to fit his style

redsunited

Incoming 5/10

Missed out on signing many young players with big potential(free & last year contract) who moved clubs in summer window.
Eriksen and Malacia are smart buys.
Casemiro is expensive but an essential buy. The window would have been a disaster 2/10 without it.
Antony fee is 40m extra. Martinez is 20m extra. It stopped us getting another player. The success/failure of both of them will be the difference between last season and this one.

I only rate it as 5/10 as it comes down to... Are we ready in the race to CL spots? It could have been 7/10 with FDJ. We have a lightweight replacement in Eriksen who is supposed to be a rotating squad player but now a starting XI player. Depending on whether he could perform as a deep lying player every week will determine how big a failure it is to miss on FDJ. Still FDJ in next 2 transfer windows is a must.

Outgoing 4/10

Not moving/getting decent money for fringe players.
Not selling AWB till now.
Not selling Ronaldo earlier in the window. Player like Depay would have been a decent replacement.

Last edited:

croadyman

Incoming 5/10

Missed out on signing many young players with big potential(free & last year contract) who moved clubs in summer window.
Eriksen and Malacia are smart buys.
Casemiro is expensive but an essential buy. The window would have been a disaster 2/10 without it.
Antony fee is 40m extra. Martinez is 20m extra. It stopped us getting another player. The success/failure of both of them will be the difference between last season and this one.
In race to CL spots, It could have been 7/10 with FDJ. We have a lightweight replacement in Eriksen who is supposed to be a rotating squad player but now a starting XI player. Depending on whether he could perform as a deep lying player every week will determine how big a failure it is to miss on FDJ. Still FDJ in next 2 transfer windows is a must.

Outgoing 4/10

Not moving/getting decent money for fringe players.
Not selling AWB till now.
Not selling Ronaldo earlier in the window. Player like Depay would have been a decent replacement.
Still time for Memphis

MrSingh2002

6/10 currently

For a 9 or 10/10 we would still need a ST, CM, RB if AWB leaves and a back up GK.

GK one point , CM one point, ST one point and RB one point.

See how close we can get to 10.

CM

Probably a 6 for me. I can't argue with any of the individual players we've signed, all of them are good players who I like. It's clear we still have an imperfect recruitment system though - we've been too slow getting players through the door and are still a couple of bodies short in a summer where we had it all to do. When the speed of business starts having a detrimental effect on results, that's a huge problem.

I feel more encouraged going into this season than I did last, but we still have problems to fix. That includes us putting the onus on the manager to bring the players in. It's all well and good putting faith in him but most of the players we've signed seem to have been personally identified by ten Hag. I'm not convinced that's the best way to proceed in the future.

croadyman

Probably a 6 for me. I can't argue with any of the individual players we've signed, all of them are good players who I like. It's clear we still have an imperfect recruitment system though - we've been too slow getting players through the door and are still a couple of bodies short in a summer where we had it all to do. When the speed of business starts having a detrimental effect on results, that's a huge problem.

I feel more encouraged going into this season than I did last, but we still have problems to fix. That includes us putting the onus on the manager to bring the players in. It's all well and good putting faith in him but most of the players we've signed seem to have been personally identified by ten Hag. I'm not convinced that's the best way to proceed in the future.
Expect a broader outlook next window now he has that core of players he trusts FDJ apart

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

It's always the case that when we start winning and especially winning silverwares, selling players then becomes much easier and more lucrative. Until then its always a struggle.

croadyman

It's always the case that when we start winning and especially winning silverwares, selling players then becomes much easier and more lucrative. Until then its always a struggle.
Yeah and not having an absolute clown in Matt Judge putting them on daft contracts

CM

I meant that in the sense of bringing players in. We've made a rod for our own backs when selling players by putting them on prohibitive contracts in the first instance. Teams can't afford the wages and the transfer fee so we usually end up having to compromise on one or the other. I would hope that's something we'll get better at too.

sglowrider

I meant that in the sense of bringing players in. We've made a rod for our own backs when selling players by putting them on prohibitive contracts in the first instance. Teams can't afford the wages and the transfer fee so we usually end up having to compromise on one or the other. I would hope that's something we'll get better at too.
That's nothing new tbf. United have always been one of the top-paying clubs in our history.

The only issue I have with the previous regime is their 'protecting their investment' philosophy by extending their contracts willy-nilly.

It's a financially driven approach rather than having a footballing prism when extending the contracts. The worst example has been Phil Jones. At this point, what investment is there left to protect and yet we had extended his contract? He has played 6 league games since we offered him a new contract three years ago. Now... that's embarassing.

Hopefully the pendulum has shifted to a more footballing approach rather than seeing players as investments only.

Dansk

8/10, now that we've seen most of the new players perform. As long as none of them turn out to be total duds, this has been a great window.

It was always wildly unrealistic to expect us to cover all our needs in one summer. For every position that we didn't strengthen, doing so would have come at the expense of one of the positions we did strengthen. We will want a new GK in the near future, for instance, but it's not truly urgent. DDG isn't so bad that we can't live with him another year, especially now that we appear to have a competent defense.

The club has spent as much as is feasible this summer, and I think it was spent very well. Antony will be an expensive purchase, but that's how it is when the selling club doesn't want to sell.

Krits

8/10.
Left it very late. But then everyone knew we were desperate and there for the taking. It also seems all the additions are grafters on top of their abilities. Hopefully this brings some steel in to our team and uplifts some of our other players.
If we upgrade the no.8 position, this would be the perfect window.

Suv666

5 players that slot into our starting 11 is obviously a successful window.

I'll give it a 6 purely due to the overspending and the late transfers.

Add a CM and a CF, it would be 10/10 then.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
8/10 for incomings. In their positions and factoring in availability and budget, I’m not sure we could have signed a better 5 players, realistically. Outgoings hasn’t been great, but it’s hard to shift deadwood. 2 points knocked off for not getting them in earlier.

Malacia - Great prospect, great start, improved LB a lot, cheap.
Martinez - Been amazing so far, just what we needed at the back.
Eriksen - Big upgrade on Pogba. Free.
Casemiro - Best DM in the World.
Antony - Best RW available.

We need a CF, RB, another cM and a GK but completely unrealistic expectations in one window.

sglowrider

7/10 only because we didn't get FdJ. Hopefully, ETH will groom someone from within.

Otherwise it is a good balance of experienced and up & coming players. The true judgement will be next season when they are more settled in.