Raul Meireles

Ace

I've always thought Lucas was shit, I don't see what some people see in him. And he is definitely no Fletcher.

Alex

That was a great goal by him, I think he has been pretty good on a pretty poor Liverpool team

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I'm happy for him, I feared he would flop due to physical issues but he seems to be doing ok when not played out of position.

mufcwarm92

His goal was disgracefully brilliant today.

Despite his petulent character, tendency to tumble and hideous tattoos, he's probably been Liverpool's best signing for a fair while.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
He and his wife (or girlfriend, no sure) are fanatical about tattoos. A lovely looking couple.

vuc

First Team Serb
Can't believe his goal hasn't got more attention.

What a brilliant strike. One of the camera views made it look ever better.

Goal of the season contender.

Neutral

BTV
Class goal, I think most knew he would prove to be a good signing, and he hasn't disappointed.

So much of their play went through him last night, I wonder he'll become less assertive, once Gerrard comes back.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
That was a brilliant goal. Like Scholes against Villa.
Scholes against Villa was a clean targeted hit that flew in(off the underside of the bar as I remember), Mereilles actually sliced the volley and it more like drifted in, he was clearly quite suprised when it hit the back of the net.

completely different strikes IMHO.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He did 'slice' it, technically, but to me it looked like he was aiming to hit across it to get the right connection on it to guide it carefully. If he was surprised at all maybe it was because he hit it so well.

He shoots a fair bit though doesn't he? Any time I see Liverpool live he's having 4/5/6 shots in a game and most of them are pretty wild.

Still a threat and he is a more forceful passer than most others in the team, even if he's not the best technically or vision-wise, and he's shown good versatility. Looks a good signing.

zub2007

he is a quality player and his goal yesterday was top notch. Reminded me of Rooney's goal against Newcastle.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
He's not petulant at all. He's too docile if anything. Terrible tattoos I'll agree with, at least he's given up on the comb-over.
He actually has much better tattoo's than the chavvy black & white shit you see most footballers having done. Makes a change....

..... I'm on a homo mission but he is surprisingly stylish for a footballer.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
I don't think he was a very good shooter. He tried very often, but the perception I have from is time at Porto was that he didn't connected it well enough to justify so many attempts. He scored every now and then, but more often from runs inside the box, deflected shots etc. I don't remember any "wow" goal from the 5 years he spent at Porto. Scored a couple of good ones in the National Team if I recall.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I don't think he was a very good shooter. He tried very often, but the perception I have from is time at Porto was that he didn't connected it well enough to justify so many attempts. He scored every now and then, but more often from runs inside the box, deflected shots etc. I don't remember any "wow" goal from the 5 years he spent at Porto. Scored a couple of good ones in the National Team if I recall.
Hi, were you the one I was having a conversation with when we signed Miereles? You mentioned his style and physique was not suited for prem football? Neither was he considered a technical player compared to others at Porto?

So far under a poor Roy regime he's been the stand out player of the season. Getting better now that Dalglish is getting us playing football again.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Hi, were you the one I was having a conversation with when we signed Miereles? You mentioned his style and physique was not suited for prem football? Neither was he considered a technical player compared to others at Porto?

So far under a poor Roy regime he's been the stand out player of the season. Getting better now that Dalglish is getting us playing football again.
Yes and yes I was a bit sceptic of his capability to adapt. I was judging him on what I've seen for 5 years. I'm happy for him that he proved me wrong. I knew he could potentially do a lot better than his final season at Porto but I thought the likelihood of that happening wasn't very high. I guess the new challenge brought back the best of him, a second peak.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Has just scored again today, he's in brilliant goal scoring form and IMO has looked a really good player all season, he was by far Liverpool's best player against us in the 3-2 earlier this season

What do we think, someone we should have been in for?

Scousers are looking much better in midfield these days with him, Lucas and Gerrard

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Wonderful form. I bumped into his father's facebook casually (friend of a friend) and it's so nice to see how within close families these moments are so appreciated. Top bloke as well, it seems.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Thanks Arruda, nice to hear. Everyone goes through good and bad patches, its the average of both that epitomises how good a footballer one is. Thankfully he has fantastic ball control which about 4 other midfielders in our squad don't have a clue.

Brophs

The One and Only
Liverpool midfielder Raul Meireles has been recognised for his impressive performances this season with the PFA Fans' Player of the Year award.

The 28-year-old arrived in late August from Porto in an £11.5million deal and took a while to settle after being played in a number of positions by then manager Roy Hodgson.

But he has played an increasingly influential role in his debut Premier League campaign, turning in a number of sparkling displays.
SKY SPORTS ON SKY

There's more live football on Sky Sports than ever before, including the Barclays Premier League, UEFA Champions League, Clydesdale Bank Premier League, England away Euro 2012 qualifiers and La Liga. With four live Sky Sports channels, as well as Sky Sports News, you'll never miss a moment on Sky. Click here for more.

The Portugal international started to find his best form after Kenny Dalglish replaced Hodgson in early January and he opened his goalscoring account in the Merseyside derby at Anfield.

The strike against Everton signalled a run of five goals in six matches, and he has now beaten off competition from the likes of likes of Arsenal's Samir Nasri, Dimitar Berbatov of Manchester United and Chelsea's David Luiz to claim the coveted PFA prize vote for by fans.

"Raul has always had the ability he has shown recently," said Dalglish.

"Maybe he's settled down a little bit and is more comfortable and confident because he is playing well but there's been nothing drastic [tactically] for any of the players really.

"It is fantastic to see Raul doing so well. He has always been a talented footballer, he's always had what we are seeing now but it's been trying to get it out and it is coming out now and he's scoring goals."
Meireles rewarded by fans | Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News

He did well and all but POTY? feckin' hell....

Redrage

Efforts of Nani, Vida and Berba totally overlooked this season, what bullshit!

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Probably performed quite above the expectations but nevertheless it's the overall final product by itself that should be rewarded.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Oh is this an internet poll sort of prize? Well, then it's probably all to do with the fans that mobilized themselves the most, and fans usually only do that to vote in one of their club. The award has the value it has.

We all saw how easily an online poll can be rigged with the Miss Albania contest so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
I'm assuming there was a campaign mounted on RAWK or something? How pathetic. Not exactly making up for a potless season is it?

wr8_utd

:'(
Luiz over Vidic? If Vidic had hair like Luiz he'd win FIFA Player of the Year