Ray Wilkins passes away after suffering a heart attack

The Purley King

A very sad day. Really enjoyed listening to his commentary and analysis, always seemed spot on and very well considered, was obviously an intelligent bloke.
My brother and I used to call him Raggy Wilkins, because he always seemed to have his shirt untucked over his shorts when he played. Weirdly would be a player more appreciated in today's game than he was back at the time.
RIP

Infra-red

I don't think you get cardiac arrest just from drinking :confused:
Heart disease, blood pressure, stroke, liver disease, pancreatitis, numerous types of cancer - it's a killer. He had a double heart bypass last summer.

Pardon my ignorance, but since when did he have a drink problem?
He's talked openly about his alcoholism in the past.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ex-england-star-ray-wilkins-8487823

https://talksport.com/football/ray-wilkins-opens-about-his-battle-alcoholism-talksport-160825207677

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Heart disease, blood pressure, stroke, liver disease, pancreatitis, numerous types of cancer - it's a killer. He had a double heart bypass last summer.
You're making me want to maybe not have beers tonight :mad:

But I guess you're talking about hardcore alcoholism. A few beers a couple times per week can't hurt. :D

Moriarty

'Ray Wilkins king of all Cockneys...' Only Wilkins and Gordon Hill got that accolade, and deservedly so. He was a terrific player in his day. RIP Butch. Taken far too young.

Acole9

Outstanding
I've just heard the news, very sad R.I.P. Too young to remember him at United but I remember vaguely the latter part of his playing career at QPR. Always one of the more interesting pundits on tv as well.

Can't believe it was nearly a year ago he was winding Custis up on the radio.

black country red

i saw him make his debut for united away at southampton in 79 great player for us when he came to old trafford in 94 with qpr he was given a standing ovation and great rendition of ray wilkins king of all cockneys much loved and respected by all true unied fans rip ray

Revaulx

Him and Robbo were a great midfield combination for us and England.
England maybe, but as far as I remember they rarely hit it off for United; probably because one or other of them was out injured.

Ray’s best season for us was his first, when we played 4-3-3 with him just behind Macari and McIlroy. His best performances later on were probably when he was alongside Arnold Muhren

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I will never forget him scoring that glorious goal against Brighton in the 83 Cup Final.It deserved to be the winner it was that good.A gifted and underrated midfielder.
Rest in peace Ray.

Josep Dowling

Sad news. One of the few on talksport that actually talked sense. A true gent of the game.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
A real shame. Even before his exceptional quality as a player, he always came across as a real friendly, gentleman sort. He even spoke in that classy manner, refined, soothing, knowledgeable but barely any sort of smugness. Could listen to him talk about football for ages. Talksport today made it clear, how many people were fond of him, even far beyond his clubs, which is a measure of the man.

Loon

:lol:
That curler against Brighton is a wonderful childhood memory. Farewell, Butch. Godspeed.

Zoo

A wonderful story about what a good guy Wilkins was. So much affection for him from the football world today.

dogwithabone

Really sad news and I know it’s repeating a sometimes tired old phrase but it does seem that you will struggle to find anyone with a bad word about him. I hope football comes together and pays him the respect he deserves, no silliness from West Ham fans at Chelsea at the weekend.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
A wonderful story about what a good guy Wilkins was. So much affection for him from the football world today.

Wow. What a guy. In all honesty there's not too many 'celebrities' I would be genuinely sad about but Ray Wilkins just seemed like a really really REALLY great man. R.I.P Ray Wilkins :(

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Still hasn't completely sunken in that he's passed away. Was listening to him on talksport not long ago. Seemed like a truly genuine guy. Will be odd not hearing him on the radio, or as a pundit on Sky.

RIP.

gavdim2002

Ray Wilkins was a bíg - big part of my youth and football experience growing up - RIP my hero Ray.

reddaz71

As a kid growing up watching Utd under Sexton then Atkinson I remember Ray Wilkins as a great signing at the time,and so he proved,he was a class act and clearly a lovely bloke,such a sad loss.

Reactions: SteveJ
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
England maybe, but as far as I remember they rarely hit it off for United; probably because one or other of them was out injured.

Ray’s best season for us was his first, when we played 4-3-3 with him just behind Macari and McIlroy. His best performances later on were probably when he was alongside Arnold Muhren
They generally both played 25/30 games when here together (sometimes more) ... my memories are it worked well (Ray sitting, Robson driving forward) but as a team, we were just a bit short. The 433 towards the end of Ray's time here suited him.... he'd do well in the current game (a la Carrick).

If anything, it was Muhren who had injuries (off the top of my head, missed more than either of the other two), though when he did play (left side), the team balance was decent.

RIP Ray, good player (for us and other teams) and part of the early 80s sides I grew up with ..... from the great stories coming out today, a generally nice guy too.

DRM

Still hasn't completely sunken in that he's passed away. Was listening to him on talksport not long ago. Seemed like a truly genuine guy. Will be odd not hearing him on the radio, or as a pundit on Sky.

RIP.
Same, not quite sunk in with me too! I enjoyed listening to him on the radio and the TV on Sky. Can't believe he's gone, really sad news

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
That's great.

I'll probably mess this story up as I'm telling it third-hand from my mother who heard it on the radio (if anyone else heard it better than me and can elaborate please do):

A former youth player of our called from San Diego, where he now coaches, to tell a story about Ray when they were both at United in the mid-80s. Apparently the youngster lived in a bad area of Salford and, if he ever got a lift home off one of the seniors they'd drop him outside the estate and haul ass out of there as quickly as possible. Except one. Ray would drive him to his doorstep, where he'd then be mobbed by the local scamps and would happily sign autographs and have even have a kick-about in the street.

The youth player also mentioned a time when they went on a post-season tour to the far east, where seniors would be paid considerably more than juniors, and Ray demanded parity between all pay packets for that trip. He sounds like a real class act.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
RIP, a sad loss. Of many celebrity deaths in the last couple of years something about this feels more real. He seemed so lively, so passionate about football. He always had something to say and to lose him is major in terms of someone with a lot of recent screen and air time.

It just feels hard to believe and is another reminder that life really is too short.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
That's great.

I'll probably mess this story up as I'm telling it third-hand from my mother who heard it on the radio (if anyone else heard it better than me and can elaborate please do):

A former youth player of our called from San Diego, where he now coaches, to tell a story about Ray when they were both at United in the mid-80s. Apparently the youngster lived in a bad area of Salford and, if he ever got a lift home off one of the seniors they'd drop him outside the estate and haul ass out of there as quickly as possible. Except one. Ray would drive him to his doorstep, where he'd then be mobbed by the local scamps and would happily sign autographs and have even have a kick-about in the street.

The youth player also mentioned a time when they went on a post-season tour to the far east, where seniors would be paid considerably more than juniors, and Ray demanded parity between all pay packets for that trip. He sounds like a real class act.
Sounds like he was one hell of a gentleman and it says something that these stories are only heard now. One of those guys who just lived for football, but without the need for the spotlight for spotlights sake.

Mal donaghy

RIP Ray thanks for the pearler in 83 cup final V Brighton , magic moment in our clubs history , that will like you never be forgotten