RB or RW

croadyman

Which would you choose as personally can only see us signing one of these this summer?

romufc

RB. Neither AWB or Dalot are good enough in any aspect.

We thought AWB was good defensively and Dalot offensively but this season has shown their equally as bad at all aspects of the game.

They lack the basic principles of being a defender, positionally they are really poor and going forward, they are exceptionally terrible.

We have Sancho, Elanga and Diallo who can play RW, if coached well I think we will be fine in that area.

croadyman

RB looks the favourite in this thread and I would tend to agree as really lacking there

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Someone suggested in a different thread that Bruno could be used as a wide attacker with VDB coming in as a #10.

No idea if that's either viable or plausible but it would also help alleviate the need for a wide attacker to be signed this summer.

And our right-backs really are appalling.

NickSantigo

A RB all day long. There was a great article in the Athletic a couple of weeks back showing why Sancho plays better on the left for United than the right.

Because Dalot and more so AWB are so poor, all our RW have to pick up the ball much deeper than when they are playing on the left.
When he had Hakimi playing behind him at Dortmund he was so much more effective

croadyman

A RB all day long. There was a great article in the Athletic a couple of weeks back showing why Sancho plays better on the left for United than the right.

Because Dalot and more so AWB are so poor, all our RW have to pick up the ball much deeper than when they are playing on the left.
When he had Hakimi playing behind him at Dortmund he was so much more effective
Yeah that is very valid point

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
RB. Neither AWB or Dalot are good enough in any aspect.

We thought AWB was good defensively and Dalot offensively but this season has shown their equally as bad at all aspects of the game.

They lack the basic principles of being a defender, positionally they are really poor and going forward, they are exceptionally terrible.

We have Sancho, Elanga and Diallo who can play RW, if coached well I think we will be fine in that area.
This is the correct answer if we were forced to choose. RB has been so insanely poor going forward, but with a competent RB, I think our RW play would improve tremendously.

zenith

Right back for sure. Sell both AWB and Dalot and use the funds for a proper RB. it'll transform our game

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
RB is worse, but I think it depends on the quality of the potential signing.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Full back is of far more concern. ETH can still play inverted wingers and have players like Donny or Bruno in these attacking spaces.

Our fullbacks are mostly atrocious, it's quite hilarious how much we've ignored the problems there.

Bwuk

RB.

I think if we gave Amad a run similar to what we've given Elanga he'd be able to cement that spot anyway.

amolbhatia50k

I personally see us signing both so
We absolutely should. A big club cannot go into the season with our options. This time last year we still have a decent awb who suited Oles style and Greenwood.

amolbhatia50k

RB.

I think if we gave Amad a run similar to what we've given Elanga he'd be able to cement that spot anyway.
If his mentality is right I don't see why not. He is technical ability is already very good. He just has to prove his football intelligence and ethic.

Edit - having said that neither should he starters right now.

laughtersassassin

I'd rather buy a RB between adding a striker and keeping Amad around I'd be willing to risk it on hoping Rashford and Sancho actually contribute

Skills

Snitch
Always depends on how good the available options are in each position.

ShinjiNinja26

Some paper talk linking us to RB Leipzig right back Mukiele, nothing concrete though. Probably just lazy journalism using the Rangnick connection.

RVN1991

Our RB options are as pitiful as it gets, Sancho might be better suited to the left but at least he can do a decent job on the right.

saivet

Right back for me. AWB isn't good enough and not convinced with Dalot either.

As much as people like to say Sancho prefers the left, he is a viable option on the right and paired with a decent RB, it could be a strong side for us.

NewYorkRed

RB, dalot isn’t looking great rn and AWB is not a footballer.

If people on the caf still think we need a RW then everyone here needs a right smack on the face since literally 95% of the forum was convinced that he is a “generational RW talent.”

PS I think Sancho will of course come good but the way he was hyped here as the sure solution to our RW problems and now many of the same people are saying we need a RW…for shame !

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
RB.

We can always try Sancho/Bruno on right, or even Garnancho on left.

But we only have AWB and Dalot on RB, we are fecked.

Morpheus 7

Don't think it's even a debate, right back every day. Stopping goals and bringing better support for right winger, Dalot is awful at both sides of the pitch. Awb only works good when we are a counter attack team defensively, when he has time to set. Offensive not good enough from him either.

The team with the best full backs win most in the modern game now, it's arguably the most influential position in deciding close games. I think we need to get our spine fixed, cb rb, dm more than any other position. We obviously need a new striker but doesn't matter if you can't create. Watching City last night again, everything comes from the build up of these positions.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Tough one. Completely ignoring realistic options available and just looking at what we have at the club:
  • Dalit probably fits Ten Hag's way of playing but is a bottom half of table quality right back
  • Wan Bissaka is a mid table player and doesn't fit ETH
  • Not really any youth that's gonna step up
  • Sancho/Elanga/Rashford our only wing options
  • Realistically there is a world where Rashfords finds form again and Sancho is the RW creator
  • Only Elanga as depth though, the rest are too far off IMO. Possibility of Bruno playing wide.
Team need, I'd say RB is a bigger need. However when you look at the options... There is nothing out there at right back, while RW we at least can target Raphinha/Antony.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
It's scary that we are still discussing this after the 2 year Sancho saga. Not all positions are going to be solved this summer and I think RW is probably the least important of the problem areas as we have some decent options that should be able to do a job there. We should be able to get a good fee in Europe for Dalot and bring in a good RB, or else go full FIFA 20 and get the RWB. But we need to solve CM, CDM, CF and CB first.

SER19

I'd love to get Bowen from West Ham.
I think he'd be excellent, but initially an unpopular signing.

If it had to be just one id go right back, but we need both. Full backs are so important nowadays, you can't afford to have ones as poor as ours