Real Madrid and Microsoft in Bernabeu naming talks

bigredmachine

Running smooth
If some one offers us 40m for naming Old Trafford, we should take the money and run. Times have changed and it would be stupid not to take the money.

C'est Moi Cantona

Are they really that short of money that they need to do a deal like this.

United have said several times that they won't sell Old Trafford's name, and from where I'm standing we are in a far worse place right now than Madrid are.

I'm sure we've got several offers on the table should we wish to do the unthinkable, and no doubt for considerable figures.

Tarrou

I don't see it as such a big deal, just so long as it doesn't sound silly. People will still call it the old name. If we got a huge sum of cash that helped the club, I'd be OK with it.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
It'll happen to Old Trafford someday too...
I think it will too.

I don't see it as such a big deal, just so long as it doesn't sound silly. People will still call it the old name. If we got a huge sum of cash that helped the club, I'd be OK with it.
I'd be ok with it too, long as the title still has 'Old Trafford' - Clubs get a stupid amount of money for stadium naming rights and no one calls it whatever it's called anyway, when St James' Park was the Sports Direct Arena, no one called it that.

Long as that money would be put into our transfer kitty then i'd be all for it, i know someone won't like that because of that word 'TRADITION' :rolleyes: balls to tradition, i say.

There's no tradition in football, it's all money and business and you have to fight fire with fire if others are doing it. If you try to be that 'traditional' club you get left behind or mess up, like we did going with a 'TRADITIONAL' British manager in Moyes.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I've always wondered about all this sponsorship malarkey. I'm betting 99% of the civilized world has heard of Microsoft, so what do they get out of this so called "exposure?"
Never underestimate your competitors. Without continuous advertisement, in 10 years, people will be saying "microsoft is so old school". Remember Atari?

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Something Bernabeu, isn't to bad. Everyone is basically going to just keep calling it Bernabeu anyway. And which ever sponser will just get to have it's name in pictures and on the building. Decent trade if the money is big enough.
What I wouldn't want to see is the name totally remove the traditional name and just be sponser x stadium or something similiar.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
It's a fecking desease in Germany:
AOL ARENA (now IMTECH ARENA)
SIGNAL IDUNA PARK
BAYARENA (the sponsor is not that obvious in this name)
ALLIANZ ARENA
VELTINS ARENA
PLAYMOBIL STADIUM
EASYCREDIT STADIUM
COMMERZBANK ARENA
it goes on and on...

All reporters are using the new names.

Now I liked the old stadium names. As for Real, I hope they get a shitty sponsor name for the stadium.
Can't stand them anyway.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
It also was HSH Nordbank Arena sometime inbetween. It had 3 different names within 4 years if I'm not mistaken.

I don't really care if new stadiums have sponsored names. The Allianz Arena never had a different name and I hope we'll never change it and it's actually not that bad of a name thanks to the double meaning of the word 'Allianz'. Renaming existing stadiums always looked wrong to me though, especially if the name changes all the time. At least make some longterm deals for it and keep one name for a decade, ffs.

The Easycredit stadium is by the way already renamed to Grundig Stadium and was 'Stadion Nürnberg' for a year in 2012. But Nürnberg changed the stadium name all the time even before it was about sponsorship deals, it only became the 'Frankenstadion' in 1991, before that it was 'Städtisches Stadion' and my father always called it Victory Stadium', which was the name for about 20 years after the war.

/edit:
oh and I actually liked Playmobil Stadium, it sounded cute and was fitting and it was a local company, that helped modernise the old stadium. It was basically a new stadium by then and it was more or less a new club after Fürth and Vestenbergsgreuth became one club. But isn't it Trolli Arena now, which really sucks? /edit2: just checked wiki, it's actually 'Stadion am Laubenweg' now and they're looking for a new sponsor at the moment, so it'll get a new name soon. It's just stupid.

Last edited:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It's a fecking desease in Germany:
SIGNAL IDUNA PARK
BAYARENA (the sponsor is not that obvious in this name)
ALLIANZ ARENA
VELTINS ARENA
PLAYMOBIL STADIUM
EASYCREDIT STADIUM
COMMERZBANK ARENA
it goes on and on...
That's awesome

PvsNP

AS reporting today that it is indeed happening:

The Bernabéu is set to be called the Abu Dhabi Bernabéu
During an event held yesterday at the Cepsa building, it was cited that the name to be used before Bernabéu is set to be Abu Dhabi rather than Cepsa.
On the 19th of November last year, Florentino Pérez mentioned at the Bernabéu to local politician, Lucía Figar: “The Bernabéu will be called IPIC or Cepsa, whatever they want”. (These declarations were picked up by a TV company). The president of the club was referring to the sponsorship deal that had just been concluded with Abu Dhabi, via IPIC, a third party investment company and 100% owned by the Emirate.

During a media event held yesterday on the 34th floor of the Cepsa building, directors of the Spanish company (who were bought out by IPIC in 2011) commented that finally the name that will be used in conjunction with Bernabéu is to be Abu Dhabi instead of Cepsa. The idea to use IPIC (International Petroleum Investment Company) was rejected. Abu Dhabi is to finance a percentage of the 500 million euro which will be spent in the remodeling of the new Bernabéu, paying an annual cost of 20 million euro per season to Real Madrid.

http://as.com/diarioas/2015/01/28/english/1422428937_635723.html

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Hmm. €20 million per season seems a bit on the low end of the spectrum for the naming rights to one of the greatest, most storied stadiums in the world.

eg. Etihad is apparently on a £10 million ~ €13.5 million agreement with City since 2011. And to be fair it's not a patch on the Bernabeu in terms of prestige and brand value.

RedorDead21

It'll happen to Old Trafford someday too...
Exactly, and we shouldnt miss out on trophies from this day to that day through sentimentality. Fans will always call it Old Trafford regardless of whatever it gets called.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Exactly, and we shouldnt miss out on trophies from this day to that day through sentimentality. Fans will always call it Old Trafford regardless of whatever it gets called.
Considering we're doing just fine for decades without any need of change, I do not mind "missing out on trophies" (like that would happen) through sentimentality such as not changing the name of the great stadium.

justboy68

feck that. We make enough money to win trophies. Plenty of teams have won Champions Leagues on a lower budget than us. No need to ever rename the stadium for a few million quid extra a season, I think there'd be uproar the likes of which have yet to be seen if it was to happen.

RedorDead21

Considering we're doing just fine for decades without any need of change, I do not mind "missing out on trophies" (like that would happen) through sentimentality such as not changing the name of the great stadium.
Doing just fine? We finished 7th last season no trophies.......we were doing just fine you mean with Sir Alex 2 years ago and before that! Progress generally splits fans down the middle. What is certain as it will happen at some point. If it means 50m a season extra and makes us capable of competing at the very top (not 7th or 4th) then I have no problems at all as long as the name was chosen selectively.

MDFC Manager

Hmm. €20 million per season seems a bit on the low end of the spectrum for the naming rights to one of the greatest, most storied stadiums in the world.

eg. Etihad is apparently on a £10 million ~ €13.5 million agreement with City since 2011. And to be fair it's not a patch on the Bernabeu in terms of prestige and brand value.
Well that probably says more about city's artificial sponsorship.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Not a lot of money to justify selling your soul for.

RedorDead21

feck that. We make enough money to win trophies. Plenty of teams have won Champions Leagues on a lower budget than us. No need to ever rename the stadium for a few million quid extra a season, I think there'd be uproar the likes of which have yet to be seen if it was to happen.
The Vatican should sponsor us and we can call it The Holy Trinity! With them on board we'll have all angles covered!

RedorDead21

Not a lot of money to justify selling your soul for.
So we could be the only club with a soul whilst all others move on........thats not a soul.....thats a history viewed as more important than the future.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Wow, wonder what the supporters think of this. If this happened to OT I suspect there would be uprisings in Manchester. Disgraceful really.

Edit: although I do think it sounds worse because it's Abu Dhabi and not something like Signal Iduna Bernabeu.

RedorDead21

Wow, wonder what the supporters think of this. If this happened to OT I suspect there would be uprisings in Manchester. Disgraceful really.
If it co-incides with a Messi purchase and global domination it would be just fine with them!

Like the Glazer Green and Yellow Brigade kind of uprisings?...they look laughable as fans now clamber for a repeat 150m spend this summer and a debt they no longer care about!

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
So we could be the only club with a soul whilst all others move on........thats not a soul.....thats a history viewed as more important than the future.
You can call it whatever you want, but I'd be disgusted if we sold the naming rights to OT. I could at least understand it if it were for an obscene amount of money, but €20m per season is a pathetic amount to throw away something as sacred as the stadium name and all the history that comes with it.

Dunk

Body language expert
If some one offers us 40m for naming Old Trafford, we should take the money and run. Times have changed and it would be stupid not to take the money.
Totally agree. Kind of jealous of this deal actually.

Skills

Snitch
I wouldn't mind it being renamed 'Apple Trafford'. We really lack some swag as a club at the moment, and a nice big apple logo plastered on top of OT could help restore some of it.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
That's not a nice name. Real now have basically named their stadium after an Arsenal crock. Makes you wonder if Diaby is actually a footballer, maybe he is just a robot brought to English football for promotional purposes.

If Woody ever feels like selling our name, we should name it the 'Coca-Cola Theatre of Dreams' or something, 'Old Trafford' should remain sacred.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
agreed - whilst we are at it see if we can get carrington sponsored as well -provided the money goes on paying off debt or the team rather than being siphoned off into the Glazers and their advisors pockets

Skills

Snitch
agreed - whilst we are at it see if we can get carrington sponsored as well -provided the money goes on paying off debt or the team rather than being siphoned off into the Glazers and their advisors pockets
We already have. It's called the AON Training Complex.