Real Madrid need to get ready for a terrible season | It’s happening

Inter Yer Nan

Gotta feel for Lopetegui. Really hard job to take over Zidane in the post Ronaldo era after 3 straight CL titles. Had he waited a few weeks with his decision I've no doubt Spain would have gone a lot further (perhaps even the final) in the World Cup instead he's looking like he'll be out of a job by Christmas and be branded the Spanish Moyes.

They aren't going to win the Champions League. They are a quarter final team currently and I think it could be close between them and Sevilla for third place in La Liga.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Last season Ronaldo and Zidane took the blame in the first half of the season for what was caused by the summer transfers.

This time it will be Lopetegui and probably Ramos.

Hopefully the Madrid fans start looking to blame the one who’s making the team get weaker and weaker.

I don´t want Klopp or Conte. Pochettino could be an option. Right now Guti, Xabi Alonso or Raúl
I think most Madrid fans would disagree with you on Klopp but yes, I think you’ll also go with the former player route. Especially if Lopetegui doesn’t last until the end of the season.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Last season Ronaldo and Zidane took the blame in the first half of the season for what was caused by the summer transfers.

Hopefully the Madrid fans start looking to blame the one who’s making the team get weaker and weaker.

I think most Madrid fans would disagree with you on Klopp but yes, I think you’ll also go with the former player route. Especially if Lopetegui doesn’t last until the end of the season.
Yes, many fans like Klopp. I did not like his comments after the Champions final. I think he is a coach too impulsive who would demand more control than he could have, which would bring constant tension and disappointment both on his part and on the club.
The fans are aware of the lack of investment. His slowness in the transfer market, and although people like his plan with young players it is obvious that isn´t enough.
He(Florentino) will do as always, buy someone,sack someone or hurry to start the works of the stadium.
After 4 champions in 5 years, he can do whatever he wants

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

I haven't been following Real Madrid very closely this season, has Ramos really been that bad?

Karappa

Yes, many fans like Klopp. I did not like his comments after the Champions final. I think he is a coach too impulsive who would demand more control than he could have, which would bring constant tension and disappointment both on his part and on the club.
The fans are aware of the lack of investment. His slowness in the transfer market, and although people like his plan with young players it is obvious that isn´t enough.
He(Florentino) will do as always, buy someone,sack someone or hurry to start the works of the stadium.
Klopp is a loser with a history of losing finals. We don't need those at Madrid... I would accept Conte if it's only until the end of the season because after Zidane and Lopetegui it looks like we need someone who instills discipline a bit again (and Capello is too old by now)... And after that season we could bring in Guti, Raul or Xabi Alonso (pretty sure Barca will have Xavi and/or Henry as coach next season).

Lopetegui is clinging on for dear life right now and he still isn't ready to sit Benzema or give Vinicius a start when one of the first things he should have done was to change things around and make it his team. The fact that he failed to do that and that he apparently doesn't have a good connection with the players have sentenced him. Wouldn't be surprised if Florentino has already decided he has to go during the national team break but a loss to Alaves would 100% make sure of that, especially if we don't score once again...

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
it looks like we need someone who instills discipline a bit again
as long as we have the likes of Ramos, Marcelo and Benzema as the squad leaders, that will never happen. These divas hate everything resembling authority.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

If there’s any karmic justice, Real won’t win another European Cup for at least 30 years.

Yes, I’m obviously jealous but the luck Real have had in recent years makes me wonder about voodoo...

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
He shouldn’t though. Benzema won 4 champions in 5 years too and it won’t stop him from getting a load of criticism as soon as he goes a few games without scoring.

Perez deserves a lot of criticism for what he’s done in the past 2 years.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I haven't been following Real Madrid very closely this season, has Ramos really been that bad?
Well, he hasn’t been great that’s for sure but complaints about his power in the dressing room have already started to appear.

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
Well, he hasn’t been great that’s for sure but complaints about his power in the dressing room have already started to appear.
I'm incredibly annoyed at the fact that he's taking most free-kicks... with Ronnie gone I thought we finally would improve in that aspect, but someone grew an ego... also he's been acting like a headless chicken going to attack when he should be defending. He thinks he can be the star of the team now, delusional.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

That also means that United won't win a PL title in the next 30 years as well :smirk:
I’m old enough to have lived through a long time when United won nothing but the odd F.A. Cup, but I know if your club was playing the football we are it wouldn’t be accepted for one moment! Only 1 team can win each trophy - one can accept fewer titles; playing narcoleptic football is the real torture United fans are currently facing...

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Klopp is a loser with a history of losing finals. We don't need those at Madrid... I would accept Conte if it's only until the end of the season because after Zidane and Lopetegui it looks like we need someone who instills discipline a bit again (and Capello is too old by now)... And after that season we could bring in Guti, Raul or Xabi Alonso (pretty sure Barca will have Xavi and/or Henry as coach next season).

Lopetegui is clinging on for dear life right now and he still isn't ready to sit Benzema or give Vinicius a start when one of the first things he should have done was to change things around and make it his team. The fact that he failed to do that and that he apparently doesn't have a good connection with the players have sentenced him. Wouldn't be surprised if Florentino has already decided he has to go during the national team break but a loss to Alaves would 100% make sure of that, especially if we don't score once again...
Any change of coach is always interesting, whoever it is, for the amount of news generated, changes and all that.
Historically Madrid signed sergeants after a soft so I do not rule out Conte.
Guti sounds great, but I also like the idea of seeing Xabi Alonso.

As @Inter Yer Nan says, I feel sorry for Lopetegui. He was brave to take Madrid without Zidane/Cris, and in the middle of a world cup, but the man is reading things wrong and the players do not help.
Ramos is beginning to have too much power.

JSArsenal

Any chance Wenger could take over?

Fiorentino used to love him. I remember him being linked with the Madrid job every year until around the time Mourinho took over. I think Wenger would do well there because he is a facilitator and man manager rather than a hard nosed tactician. Madrid players seem infinitely smarter than the lads at Arsenal so I would assume they would be better able to work things out on the pitch for themselves which is Wenger's philosophy

Bobski

They looked a team that needed to be evolved even last year, starting to look a little like the mid 00's Milan who saved their best for the latter stages of the CL.

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
Any chance Wenger could take over?

Fiorentino used to love him. I remember him being linked with the Madrid job every year until around the time Mourinho took over. I think Wenger would do well there because he is a facilitator and man manager rather than a hard nosed tactician. Madrid players seem infinitely smarter than the lads at Arsenal so I would assume they would be better able to work things out on the pitch for themselves which is Wenger's philosophy
Wenger would change nothing. We already have a soft coach who likes to play attacking yet fruitless football and doesn't know how to read games. Also Wenger wouldn't stand the lack of control at Madrid

peridigm

So they lose a match, draw a match, and lose a match and now it's time to change managers? They should go after Jose.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Anyone could have told you they needed to buy a new attacker.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I'm incredibly annoyed at the fact that he's taking most free-kicks... with Ronnie gone I thought we finally would improve in that aspect, but someone grew an ego... also he's been acting like a headless chicken going to attack when he should be defending. He thinks he can be the star of the team now, delusional.
And you would want him on the other end of FKs.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Sack watch already ticking.

Conte in January?

(I doubt Madrid will finish 3rd in the group stage, but if they are 3rd or 4th by Dec in la Liga Lopetegui will be sacked, Benitez-style)

MJJ

This is an absolutely disastrous, abysmal performance... Keeping Lopetegui any minute longer is a huge mistake. At the moment we still have chances in all competitions but it's obvious he isn't the right fit (and I doubt he is a great coach). We need a new impulse, new ideas that work because 3 games in a row without scoring? And we never looked like scoring in those three games... This is the worst since the Alcorconazo, completely shambles... I would even take Mourinho over Lopetegui any day of the week... Realistically it should be Conte, Guti or Raul - but Florentino has to act NOW, waiting any longer just damages our chances to win anything this season...
Can you start instigating the ultras and start a mourinho to madrid movement? We will even thrown in fellaini and mctominay for free for the times when he wants to bench kroos and asensio.

el3mel

Sack watch already ticking.

Conte in January?

(I doubt Madrid will finish 3rd in the group stage, but if they are 3rd or 4th by Dec in la Liga Lopetegui will be sacked, Benitez-style)
Conte looks to me one of the most anti-Madrid style managers present. Will never happen.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Real will get Pochettino next summer.
Not a RM style manager, almost the opposite of a RM style manager. Id give him about 6 months before the prima donna dressing room players kick up a stink about his double training sessions. Not to mention his my way or the highway style will not fly either. You can get away with it at Spurs, with young players. Not at a place like Madrid with a team full of superstars. Much easier to replace a manager than a bunch of superstar players upset with the training methods.

He certainly wouldnt be able to come in and ship out all the power players in the dressing room like he was able to do at Spurs.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Id give him about 6 months before the prima donna dressing room players kick up a stink about his double training sessions.
You are seriously underestimating how professional this Real Madrid side are. A team of primadonnas don't win three consecutive CL trophies.

Karappa

Conte looks to me one of the most anti-Madrid style managers present. Will never happen.
Not if Florentino decides that discipline is what's needed. For a short time these managers can be very successful at Real Madrid, Capello was here 2 seasons, won 2 league titles and laid the foundation for two great sides.

But the truth is the problems go way further than only Lopetegui. Players like Varane, Nacho, Marcelo, Modric, Kroos, Lucas Vazquez, Asensio and even Casemiro (and Isco before his injury) look to be on vacation still. To say nothing of Benzema who should have started his last game for us today, there is no hope for this guy anymore. He can have flashes of brilliance but if he is your main target man he is the wrong fit. In a 4-4-2 alongside Mariano he could be useful, otherwise on the bench with him.

One of Lopetegui's biggest mistakes was that after the very successful preseason tour he didn't trust the young players like Odriozola, Reguilon, Vinicius, Fede etc. I thought it would be a great idea to ease the World Cup players slowly back into the team as that would give them extra time to get rest and fitness and it would give minutes to those young guys. He elected to throw the big names right in there with the effect that they weren't ready for the Supercup and haven't had any chance to gather fitness because of a lack of preseason training. And it shows with the aforementioned players - all of which played at the World Cup...

el3mel

Not if Florentino decides that discipline is what's needed. For a short time these managers can be very successful at Real Madrid, Capello was here 2 seasons, won 2 league titles and laid the foundation for two great sides.

But the truth is the problems go way further than only Lopetegui. Players like Varane, Nacho, Marcelo, Modric, Kroos, Lucas Vazquez, Asensio and even Casemiro (and Isco before his injury) look to be on vacation still. To say nothing of Benzema who should have started his last game for us today, there is no hope for this guy anymore. He can have flashes of brilliance but if he is your main target man he is the wrong fit. In a 4-4-2 alongside Mariano he could be useful, otherwise on the bench with him.

One of Lopetegui's biggest mistakes was that after the very successful preseason tour he didn't trust the young players like Odriozola, Reguilon, Vinicius, Fede etc. I thought it would be a great idea to ease the World Cup players slowly back into the team as that would give them extra time to get rest and fitness and it would give minutes to those young guys. He elected to throw the big names right in there with the effect that they weren't ready for the Supercup and haven't had any chance to gather fitness because of a lack of preseason training. And it shows with the aforementioned players - all of which played at the World Cup...
It's not just his defensive management and his 3-4-3 that I can't see Madrid playing with. He wants full power and entered in problems with Juve and Chelsea because the board didn't back him. He won't get the power he wants at Madrid either.

I think he will return to Italy.

Karappa

It's not just his defensive management and his 3-4-3 that I can't see Madrid playing with. He wants full power and entered in problems with Juve and Chelsea because the board didn't back him. He won't get the power he wants at Madrid either.

I think he will return to Italy.
If he gets a contract until the end of the season he would take it without hesitating a second... I think Conte is a very versatile coach who can adapt to the players he has at his disposal. His weak side are his people skills but if you don't keep him around too long that shouldn't be a problem. And if he really wouldn't be interested Guti or Raul would still be better solutions than Lopetegui. But no matter who is the coach the lineup has to reflect some kind of meritocracy - and at the moment it's Lopetegui desperately clinging to names even if they play like crap...

el3mel

If he gets a contract until the end of the season he would take it without hesitating a second... I think Conte is a very versatile coach who can adapt to the players he has at his disposal. His weak side are his people skills but if you don't keep him around too long that shouldn't be a problem. And if he really wouldn't be interested Guti or Raul would still be better solutions than Lopetegui. But no matter who is the coach the lineup has to reflect some kind of meritocracy - and at the moment it's Lopetegui desperately clinging to names even if they play like crap...
No manager will refuse Madrid, if he's offered the job he will crawl to get it, but I think he'll fall with Perez at some points due to market business and his lack of power over incomings and outcomings.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
You are seriously underestimating how professional this Real Madrid side are. A team of primadonnas don't win three consecutive CL trophies.
Those guys aren't the pinnacle of professionalism, they had a squad capable of winning more than 1 league title in the last 6 seasons with their depth and quality. Ronaldo had a point in what he said years ago, not about that particular moment, but if 6 of the starters had 2/3 of his hunger, that team could've gone in history at the level of our Pep team, maybe even better.

Instead 1 league title and they're yet to be found in the cup, they survive by showing up 5/6 times a year in the champions league legs, who was going to stop Ronaldo, Bale, James, Modric, Marcelo, Kroos or even Isco from reaching 90 points in la liga every year?. They made history at continental level, but with that squad, you could expect a treble season and some league/cup titles, instead of showing up in a couple games from February to May.

Karappa

No manager will refuse Madrid, if he's offered the job he will crawl to get it, but I think he'll fall with Perez at some points due to market business and his lack of power over incomings and outcomings.
Which is why I would not keep him any longer than next summer. But what people don't realize: There will never be a coach who has that kind of power at Real Madrid which is a good thing because it makes the club less dependent on their coach. When talking about Mourinho and if he should be sacked at United people say but then you have to give the new guy a couple of transfer windows to get the players he wants and that's why the club is in constant flux and very dependent on the manager at that time.

At Real Madrid we have something I would call the "presidential model" where it's the president and his board (who are elected for 4 years but usually stay multiple terms) that guarantee continuity no matter who the coach is. That way the coach is much more disposable and you don't miss a beat regarding transfer dealings and a coherent strategy. Coaches are expected to work with what is at their disposal and if they aren't up to the task someone else will be. In my opinion it's a way better model than the English one as the "we have to give the new one a couple of transfer windows to make it his team" phase is completely cut out. That's why we can change coaches rather quickly and still be successful. And if there is one person at the club I have total confidence in it's Florentino.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
They should wait till Ramos eithe rretires or gets sold before bothering with other managers.

el3mel

Which is why I would not keep him any longer than next summer. But what people don't realize: There will never be a coach who has that kind of power at Real Madrid which is a good thing because it makes the club less dependent on their coach. When talking about Mourinho and if he should be sacked at United people say but then you have to give the new guy a couple of transfer windows to get the players he wants and that's why the club is in constant flux and very dependent on the manager at that time.

At Real Madrid we have something I would call the "presidential model" where it's the president and his board (who are elected for 4 years but usually stay multiple terms) that guarantee continuity no matter who the coach is. That way the coach is much more disposable and you don't miss a beat regarding transfer dealings and a coherent strategy. Coaches are expected to work with what is at their disposal and if they aren't up to the task someone else will be. In my opinion it's a way better model than the English one as the "we have to give the new one a couple of transfer windows to make it his team" phase is completely cut out. That's why we can change coaches rather quickly and still be successful. And if there is one person at the club I have total confidence in it's Florentino.
Agree on your principal.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

While i dont completely disagree with your post different teams would not be a guaranteed success with that kind of system though. There are many teams in england actually adopts that kind of hierarchy albeit they have owners instead of president. Chelsea, tottenham, even city is on a similar hierarchy.

Plus madrid is a different animal altogether. It could be their stars aligned with ronaldo and zidane, not to mention they're undisputed champions in spain with only barcelona as the real competition (atleti is still too inconsistent to challenge the duo hegemony in the long term).

Something that works in spain might not work in england without the same factor and condition.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
While i dont completely disagree with your post different teams would not be a guaranteed success with that kind of system though. There are many teams in england actually adopts that kind of hierarchy albeit they have owners instead of president. Chelsea, tottenham, even city is on a similar hierarchy.

Plus madrid is a different animal altogether. It could be their stars aligned with ronaldo and zidane, not to mention they're undisputed champions in spain with only barcelona as the real competition (atleti is still too inconsistent to challenge the duo hegemony in the long term).

Something that works in spain might not work in england without the same factor and condition.
The English system is very nice since it is based on the respect of the person, in his evolution.
It could be said that at the moment of truth it is only the coach and his players, without so much noise during the week.
I'm sure many here have read books about Ferguson, and surely there are scholars about his life and miracles.
Here the football theme is a constant hammer in conversations, radio, television. We are all trainers. Even my grandmother had something to say about Messi and Cristiano.
Maybe it's that people have grown like this.
I've heard from fans of different teams a lot of times "We need our own Ferguson" but people get tired too soon.
The only "but" that I see in the English model is that sometimes the owners are not intimately related to the team.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I still can't understand the logic of not signing a striker.

Their squad is brilliant but it's obviously got a hole in it. Had Ramos left wouldn't they have replaced him?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I still can't understand the logic of not signing a striker.

Their squad is brilliant but it's obviously got a hole in it. Had Ramos left wouldn't they have replaced him?
They did sign one in Mariano.

I saw plenty of him at Lyon. I thought he looked decent - potentially very good - but I never really had him down as becoming an elite striker. Maybe he'll come good, though. There's definitely potential there.