Real Madrid need to get ready for a terrible season | It’s happening

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He could turn out to be a different player surrounded by the talent you guys have, but at Lyon he just looked like an over-excited puppy half the time. I was always a bit surprised when he actually scored, although to be fair to him he did score some nice goals.
He scored 21 for OL last season. 22M, homegrown, and he comes as Benzema's backup. He should do a job for us. He's replacing Mayoral...

PepG

Supports
Ajax
So typical for Madrid to sign a player they sold one or two years ago because he was not needed anymore. Now he is needed again :lol:

Javi

So typical for Madrid to sign a player they sold one or two years ago because he was not needed anymore. Now he is needed again :lol:
More a plan c than anything imo. It looks more and more like Perez is planning a transition season with Lopetegui as third choice coach and uninspiring transfers* like random spanish hype kid Odriozola, random Brazilian wonder kid Vinicius and now, for lack of better options, random striker Mariano Diaz. All while they netted 120m € for Ronaldo. He was probably as surprised than anybody that Zidane left and that late in summer (king size transfer wise) it's hard to save the day.

*probably a bit harsh.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
He scored 21 for OL last season. 22M, homegrown, and he comes as Benzema's backup. He should do a job for us. He's replacing Mayoral...
We’ll see, but you might want to remember that the standard in much of Ligue 1 is pretty dreadful. A genuine Madrid class striker should have been tearing that league to pieces.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
We’ll see, but you might want to remember that the standard in much of Ligue 1 is pretty dreadful. A genuine Madrid class striker should have been tearing that league to pieces.
Depends on the type of player he is. Service is a huge part of being a striker.

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
yet teams all over Europe are fighting between themselves to get the latest hot French prospect from that league. So what is it?

Karappa

If the deal goes through it's a great choice, he knows the club, will accept his role, score a bunch and it's very likely we will be able to ship him on with a profit in a year or two just like Morata. Very happy that it turned it to be Mariano who was one of my favourite choices right at the start of the summer (see my post from the 5th of July in the thread about "who will Real replace Ronaldo with").

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
Preet disappointed to see Mariano coming back, he is just pretty average, no way near Madrid level imo...I dont get why we didn't get Werner, Lewandowski or even a guy like Kasper Dolberg. Morata is way better than Mariano too.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid

It's not so much that they're not needed but that they have to play to develop as they're young. That's why they have buyout clause all of them. If he turns out being half as good as Casemiro or Carvajal then I think it will be a decent signing.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
yet teams all over Europe are fighting between themselves to get the latest hot French prospect from that league. So what is it?
If you’re talking about Mbappe, that’ll be because he actually has been tearing the league to pieces. His quality absolutely shines through in Ligue 1. The lower level can flatter people though, like it does sometimes with Fekir, an excellent player but one who I suspect might struggle a bit in the PL.

The problem with Mariano though is that he doesn’t even shine in Ligue 1. If you can’t terrorize defenders at this level, how are you going to step up several levels and suddenly do it? Also he’s 25 already, it’s not like we’re talking about some kid.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Why is Courtois not playing?
It would be hilarious is Navas some how kept his spot. Navas has won the CL 4 times with Real but, his entire time as their #1 they have been trying to replace him.

But, I have feeling Courtois just lacks match sharpness since he had that long World Cup run and he refused to train with Chelsea.

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
If you’re talking about Mbappe
I'm talking in general, like everyone thinks Ligue A is the league to get young prospects. Monchi gets almost all of his guys from there. Varane, Kante, Hazard... to many to mention.

Stiliyan

Supports
Real Madrid
In this market there is nothing better than Mariano even for 50-60 million euros. Rodrigo would be closer to 100 than what we would pay for him.
He will be second choice striker and probably will come off the bench in the final matches where we need goals. We know that he can do that perfectly from season 2016-2017. He is everything Benzema isn't which is good.
I like how determinant he is in the penalty area and overall the confidence he shows. These are very important skills for striker. I think he is a better version of Chicharito.

RoyH1

I think he is a better version of Chicharito.
That is exactly who he reminds me of. Not the most technical or talented of player, but good placement and spirit make up for his flaws. I don't know if he's better than Chicharito, but he's a useful backup and an upgrade over Mayoral.

Madrid is saving all its pennies for either the stadium or a big time signing next year. Lopetegui looking very much like a transition manager to me.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That is exactly who he reminds me of. Not the most technical or talented of player, but good placement and spirit make up for his flaws. I don't know if he's better than Chicharito, but he's a useful backup and an upgrade over Mayoral.

Madrid is saving all its pennies for either the stadium or a big time signing next year. Lopetegui looking very much like a transition manager to me.
He is more Rémy than Chicharito, he spends a lot of time out of the box and he loves long distances shots.

More a plan c than anything imo. It looks more and more like Perez is planning a transition season with Lopetegui as third choice coach and uninspiring transfers* like random spanish hype kid Odriozola, random Brazilian wonder kid Vinicius and now, for lack of better options, random striker Mariano Diaz. All while they netted 120m € for Ronaldo. He was probably as surprised than anybody that Zidane left and that late in summer (king size transfer wise) it's hard to save the day.

*probably a bit harsh.

They had only 2 options: let Sevilla sign him and lose the player, or buy him cheap in today's market. There wasn't a third option.
Now they can sell Mariano for more than 22 million if they want.

Marcelo, Keylor Navas, Varane, Casemiro or Asensio were also random xxx players or wonder guys.

Javi

They had only 2 options: let Sevilla sign him and lose the player, or buy him cheap in today's market. There wasn't a third option.
Now they can sell Mariano for more than 22 million if they want.

Marcelo, Keylor Navas, Varane, Casemiro or Asensio were also random xxx players or wonder guys.
They could turn out great, agreed. If you read again I used them to underline my feeling that Perez is regarding this season as transition period.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Juve-PSG-Barcelona-Atletico. Call me old fashioned, but I want our triumphs to be emotionally devastating and scarring for our opponents :devil:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
It's exhausting to win so many things.TL;DR
We have to stop or we will devalue the competition

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
It's exhausting to win so many things.TL;DR
We have to stop or we will devalue the competition
Football clubs post some sh*te on their official social media at the best of times. But it's pushing it for them to deem Player of the Year, Goal of the Season, Goalkeeper of the Season, Defender of the Season, Midfielder of the Season and Forward of the Season as being trophies.

Who needs to worry about losing the UEFA Super Cup 4-2 to Atletico when they won 7 trophies last season?!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
In this market there is nothing better than Mariano even for 50-60 million euros. Rodrigo would be closer to 100 than what we would pay for him.
He will be second choice striker and probably will come off the bench in the final matches where we need goals. We know that he can do that perfectly from season 2016-2017. He is everything Benzema isn't which is good.
I like how determinant he is in the penalty area and overall the confidence he shows. These are very important skills for striker. I think he is a better version of Chicharito.
No buy back on William Jose? He was at Real Madrid and has done very well for Real Sociedad. Thought he might've been an option if Real Madrid just looking for back up strikers.

Cezzine

Supports
Real Madrid
Mbappe is definitely Madrid class and only scored 13 goals in that league, very hard to call that tearing that league to pieces bro...

Preet disappointed to see Mariano coming back, he is just pretty average, no way near Madrid level imo...I dont get why we didn't get Werner, Lewandowski or even a guy like Kasper Dolberg. Morata is way better than Mariano too.
Morata wasn't even better than him when they were both bench in Madrid, let alone now. The guy went to Lyon and in his first year he scored 21 goal and became the star of the team. Now tell us, how much goals did Morata scored with Chelsea. He got there as a star and ended as a bench warmer.

If you’re talking about Mbappe, that’ll be because he actually has been tearing the league to pieces. His quality absolutely shines through in Ligue 1. The lower level can flatter people though, like it does sometimes with Fekir, an excellent player but one who I suspect might struggle a bit in the PL.

The problem with Mariano though is that he doesn’t even shine in Ligue 1. If you can’t terrorize defenders at this level, how are you going to step up several levels and suddenly do it? Also he’s 25 already, it’s not like we’re talking about some kid.
Mbappe has being tearing up the French League into pieces having scored a gramd total of 13 goals! And Mariano that scored 21 goals in his first season there, in a clearly inferior team that PSG doesn't even shines there? Ok... :lol::houllier:

Football clubs post some sh*te on their official social media at the best of times. But it's pushing it for them to deem Player of the Year, Goal of the Season, Goalkeeper of the Season, Defender of the Season, Midfielder of the Season and Forward of the Season as being trophies.

Who needs to worry about losing the UEFA Super Cup 4-2 to Atletico when they won 7 trophies last season?!
They won 3 CL in a row and 11 throphies in the last 2.5 years. So yes, who meeds to worry abput losing a Supercup that is played in preseason when you have lost your star player, and can't play guys like Modric, Varane, etc...

Now its bad that teams celebrate their players have won all the awards in all the positions to Europe's best players... :confused:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Mbappe is definitely Madrid class and only scored 13 goals in that league, very hard to call that tearing that league to pieces bro...
Mbappe is a kid who has been playing second fiddle to Neymar. Despite this his quality has absolutely shone through, as you’d know of you watched him and didn’t just read goal stats.

Morata wasn't even better than him when they were both bench in Madrid, let alone now. The guy went to Lyon and in his first year he scored 21 goal and became the star of the team.
No he didn’t. Fekir is the undisputed star of the Lyon team, Diaz isn’t even close to that. He went on a good scoring run despite being fairly shit last season. Even Depay looked better than him, and he was also pretty shit for the first half of the season.

Mbappe has being tearing up the French League into pieces having scored a gramd total of 13 goals! And Mariano that scored 21 goals in his first season there, in a clearly inferior team that PSG doesn't even shines there? Ok... :lol::houllier:
You clearly don’t watch French football. If you did, you’d be embarrassed to write that.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
It would be hilarious is Navas some how kept his spot. Navas has won the CL 4 times with Real but, his entire time as their #1 they have been trying to replace him.

But, I have feeling Courtois just lacks match sharpness since he had that long World Cup run and he refused to train with Chelsea.
Why is Courtois not playing?
Unnecessary signing. Navas is a good keeper.

Karappa

Unnecessary signing. Navas is a good keeper.
Not at all, Casilla was absolutely terrible last season and a club like RM can't be one injury away from absolute disaster in that spot. With Navas living off his reflexes every year over 30 can be the one it goes downhill - just as it happened with Iker. It was the right moment to get another top keeper in and Courtois was a great opportunity to get one of the world's top keepers at half the price other clubs were paying for worse ones... And after Courtois Lunin is already lined up, that's called smart moves in the transfer market and having a long term plan.

Reactions: Penna

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Not at all, Casilla was absolutely terrible last season and a club like RM can't be one injury away from absolute disaster in that spot. With Navas living off his reflexes every year over 30 can be the one it goes downhill - just as it happened with Iker. It was the right moment to get another top keeper in and Courtois was a great opportunity to get one of the world's top keepers at half the price other clubs were paying for worse ones... And after Courtois Lunin is already lined up, that's called smart moves in the transfer market and having a long term plan.
There is no point having a GK as good as Courtois or Navas on the bench. And the two GK set up rarely lasts for long see Roma or Barca. If Courtois does not become the undisputed #1 soon there was really no point in this transfer.

Karappa

There is no point having a GK as good as Courtois or Navas on the bench. And the two GK set up rarely lasts for long see Roma or Barca. If Courtois does not become the undisputed #1 soon there was really no point in this transfer.
Not sure what you're talking about. Keylor will be 32 in December, for a goalkeeper living primarily off reflexes on the line that's the twilight of their heyday usually. I'm a big fan of him but it would be absolutely wrong not to get a great gk in that situation seeing how other clubs are paying 70-80 millions for unproven ones. For half the money that Chelsea or Liverpool spent on one keeper, we have the goalkeeper pipeline filled for the next 10-15 years. From a financial standpoint the Courtois transfer was one of the best buys in the entire summer transfer market as we got him under par value and there's always the opportunity to sell players again (although I don't think it will happen in this case because of the age of the players involved).

And as much as I like Navas he won't get any better. It would be foolish to play everything on one card and pray that he stays healthy, especially after he already had surgery on his achilles tendon about two years ago and seeing how he had his mistakes (e.g. Juventus return leg last season, first goal in the European supercup this season). I would rather have two great options than only one, especially after seeing how Casilla played last season.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Not sure what you're talking about. Keylor will be 32 in December, for a goalkeeper living primarily off reflexes on the line that's the twilight of their heyday usually. I'm a big fan of him but it would be absolutely wrong not to get a great gk in that situation seeing how other clubs are paying 70-80 millions for unproven ones. For half the money that Chelsea or Liverpool spent on one keeper, we have the goalkeeper pipeline filled for the next 10-15 years. From a financial standpoint the Courtois transfer was one of the best buys in the entire summer transfer market as we got him under par value and there's always the opportunity to sell players again (although I don't think it will happen in this case because of the age of the players involved).

And as much as I like Navas he won't get any better. It would be foolish to play everything on one card and pray that he stays healthy, especially after he already had surgery on his achilles tendon about two years ago and seeing how he had his mistakes (e.g. Juventus return leg last season, first goal in the European supercup this season). I would rather have two great options than only one, especially after seeing how Casilla played last season.
I think generally you have to choose one and for the amount of money that paid for him and what I assume his wages are it has to be Courtois. Courtois makes sense as Navas' immediate replacement not backup. You can usually find a decent backup GK for nearly nothing. We got Romero on a free, Milan got Pepe Reina on a free this summer.

And I am not sure Courtois is better than Navas especially since Navas' distribution is better but, that is a different discussion.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I wouldn´t have bought Courtois, or I would have bought him with the conviction that Keylor was going to leave.
And with less reason if they have bought a 19-year-old goalkeeper. Now Lunin future is loan after loan or be a substitute for Courtois during years.
Having two elite goalkeepers never ends well because factors such as status and hierarchy in the dressing room on the one hand and the desire to see the new signing on the team collide.
The solution of giving liga to one and Champions to the other does not convince me either.
Now we will have to see Courtois face on the bench with each failure of Keylor, and Keylor on the bench, after his three European cups and adored by the Bernabéu, unnecessary problems.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I wouldn´t have bought Courtois, or I would have bought him with the conviction that Keylor was going to leave.
And with less reason if they have bought a 19-year-old goalkeeper. Now Lunin future is loan after loan or be a substitute for Courtois during years.
Having two elite goalkeepers never ends well because factors such as status and hierarchy in the dressing room on the one hand and the desire to see the new signing on the team collide.
The solution of giving liga to one and Champions to the other does not convince me either.
Now we will have to see Courtois face on the bench with each failure of Keylor, and Keylor on the bench, after his three European cups and adored by the Bernabéu, unnecessary problems.
Yeah as soon as they bought Courtois they should have made it known that Navas is available to whoever wants him.

And Lurin will get fed up if he is sent on loan year after year. Heck Courtois use to be in the same position.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Surely Courtois being an ex-Atlético player should factor into the fans opinion as well? Not many players in recent years that have played for both clubs.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Surely Courtois being an ex-Atlético player should factor into the fans opinion as well? Not many players in recent years that have played for both clubs.
Yes, it is always an incentive. In addition, in his presentation his underestimated quite well his past in Atleti, saying that he was where he always wanted to be, blabla. Although I think his agent spoiled it a few days later saying that if it were not for his children he would continue in London.
Fans are happy and I think most accept and want a change of goalkeeper.
At the moment I am still "Keylorista" :D

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
Courtois is the most stupid signing in years, Florentino caving to the press which always had a vendetta against Keylor from day 1. After Modric, Keylor is my favorite player in the squad and the vast majority of madridistas love him. Real Madrid shouldn't act like an NGO to please the press and let Courtois be close to his kids

red4ever 79

Did they really replace Ronaldo with Aspas? Did that go through? Surely gotta be on the same level as when we replaced Ronaldo with Valencia

MrBest

Courtois is the most stupid signing in years, Florentino caving to the press which always had a vendetta against Keylor from day 1. After Modric, Keylor is my favorite player in the squad and the vast majority of madridistas love him. Real Madrid shouldn't act like an NGO to please the press and let Courtois be close to his kids
He cost of 30m right? Or close to it. Great deal if you ask me. 2 amazing goalkeepers, both will give each other competition. Navas is 31, so courtois has plenty of time to be number one even if he don't dispatch Navas this season. That's GK sorted for them for up to 10 years.