Real Madrid need to get ready for a terrible season | It’s happening

Schneckerl

Doesnt he suffer from a bad case of Tinnitus? He usually is awful on the bigger stage.
I don't follow Bundesliga that much and I wanted to check out how true that is so looked up his games in the biggest stadiums in Germany.

He didn't even play or got subbed off after a few minutes vs BVB/Bayern away in the past two years. :lol: Might be a coincidence though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This is Real Madrid we're talking about!
Yes, we are talking about Real Madrid, historically it's a club that supported United in tough times and their legends are all well treated by the club just look at Butragueno, Di Stefano or even Zidane.

Let a player go? they got a whopping 100M euros for a 33 year old! its not really letting some one go now is it!
I used the same expression than the one used in the quote. Of course they sold him but he is the one who allegedly asked for it.

SuperiorXI

Doesn't look good for them at the moment but like anything in football it can change quickly. They've lost a lot. Reminds me of the season we lost Gill and SAF; it's not as bad as that season but the feeling is they have lost quite a lot.

AR87

I hope paying what it takes for Neymar next summer is worth the lack of investment into the squad this summer. They have alot of promising young talent, but I'm very skeptical of their chances to compete in the league or in Europe this season.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Replacing Modric... with Eriksen or Hazard? People have imagination. None of these players are remotely similar to Modric, and Eriksen isn’t anywhere near good enough. Yeah he has a good set-piece and great delivery when he has time on the ball, but you won’t see him when he doesn’t. At Spurs and for Denmark you can have two out of five games that are shit, at Real Madrid you simply cannot.

Modric, even though small and skinny, had an excellent brain when it comes to defensive work and getting out of trouble. Eriksen is not the same player at all
A like for like replacement simply does not exist, so you have to get someone who can grow into that role RM want to play in midfield. And i disagree that hes just a set piece delivery merchant, Eriksen is one of the main reasons that Spurs team has finished so high on the table the previous 3 seasons. Did you watch many Spurs games last couple of seasons? He certainly did have a habit of going missing and being a bit inconsistent when he was young, as most young players are want to do. But the last 2-3 seasons he has been world class, in one of those seasons he posted the most chances created for his team in Europe.

RM are not getting De Bruyne off City, so they have to go to a club they know sell, and Spurs fit the bill, but he certainly wont be cheap given Coutinho went for 110mil.

Precaution

I don't follow Bundesliga that much and I wanted to check out how true that is so looked up his games in the biggest stadiums in Germany.

He didn't even play or got subbed off after a few minutes vs BVB/Bayern away in the past two years. :lol: Might be a coincidence though.
http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ise-before-being-substituted-in-besiktas-loss

Had to be forced off due to it, it'll probably explain why he goes "missing" in bigger games or not play at all, he looked off in Russia but i guess that could be said of all the German team :lol:

jesperjaap

Any team is going to suffer losing a player like Ronaldo, we certainly did. Take Neymar out of PSG, Messi out of Barcelona. I think Zidane had several of that team at there absolute peak like Ramos, Marcelo, Modric, Kroos, Ronaldo, Benzema and even Bale. I expect a declien in some of these players over the next season or so and of course is the hunger still there having won the cl so many times recently?
They do seem to have som etalented youngsters coming through and Viniscus could be exciting.......but the ageing players and Ronaldo leaving, every one of them is world class and consistant. Think as someone else said although they won the champions league there were signs last year that the amazing success was actually going slightly past the peak, think the new manager and board have a very hard job transitioning that side player wise

jesperjaap

A like for like replacement simply does not exist, so you have to get someone who can grow into that role RM want to play in midfield. And i disagree that hes just a set piece delivery merchant, Eriksen is one of the main reasons that Spurs team has finished so high on the table the previous 3 seasons. Did you watch many Spurs games last couple of seasons? He certainly did have a habit of going missing and being a bit inconsistent when he was young, as most young players are want to do. But the last 2-3 seasons he has been world class, in one of those seasons he posted the most chances created for his team in Europe.

RM are not getting De Bruyne off City, so they have to go to a club they know sell, and Spurs fit the bill, but he certainly wont be cheap given Coutinho went for 110mil.
I will say it now, they will sign Guimaraes in the summer and within 3years he will be one of the best players in the world

NoPace

Considering how brilliant James was playing off Quintero this summer pre-injury, you have to think he could have played well off of Isco rotating with Bale and Asensio out wide, or even given Madrid the option of playing Bale up top and benching or resting Benzema and of course an alternative to Isco as a 10 to build your side around if he need rest or is hurt. Massive loss.

If they'd had a buyback clause, even a 60M one, you'd say they're really only lacking a decent #9 to push Benzema from being incredibly tough to beat again and CL favorites considering their backline, midfield experience and balance and improved goalkeeper, if still not favorites in the league over Barca.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'm really shocked they didn't get Hazard, maybe it will happen in January. They can forget about Neymar or Mbappe for a while too.

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
Did they just arrogantly think they'd have their pick of the top players like old days? Thus letting Ronaldo leave and just casually presuming they'd get whoever else in?
Did they miss that the transfer market has changed immeasurably?
You are talking about the biggest club in history and the winner of 4 CL in the last 5 years we are not Stoke City you know? it's the dream of a lot of players to play for us and I think we can probably make two big signings before the end of the transfer window. Let's see how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The thing is neither Ceballos nor Isco can play the Casemiro role, it's simply ridiculous. It's like Coutinho playing in Busquets role, it's nuts. As I said, Ceballos playing the midfield playmaker role whether rotating Kroos or Modric should potentially work if he's accompanied by the experience of Casemiro and one of the other two -I don't see Isco playing that role as much as him, he may play 5 matches a season in that role due to extreme needs, but Isco has ALWAYS been better playing near the rival area, it's a fact-.

I do rate Llorente as a straight backup for Casemiro, but Lopetegui not rating him did surprise me. I thought it was some kind of Zidane crazy fixation, same he had with James just disliking him for whatever reason, but if Lopetegui doesn't rate him either... He's becoming another Theo.
Not saying Ceballos or Isco should be Case's backup. They should be backup for Modric and Kroos. Isco i like much better in midfield, simply doesn't have the end product in a more attacking role

Lopetegui needs to either trust one of Llotente/Valverde as Case's backup, or the club should sign one.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'm really shocked they didn't get Hazard, maybe it will happen in January. They can forget about Neymar or Mbappe for a while too.
Flo won't forget Neymar

Also Hazard is not a particularly big upgrade over Isco, generally plays a similar role to Asensio, and Chelsea wanted €250m for him

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Believe me, I completely understand you. It all looks COMPLETELY chaotic right now. I'm not even madridista as I told you, but this feeling about Real Madrid's situation right now... I got it before, and it didn't end up well. I know Real Madrid grows when in turmoil, but this is not the kind of turmoil that usually boosts Real Madrid, I think you as madridista understand what I mean.

Absolutely. As I heard today, it's like Florentino got completely knocked out after Zidane leaving. There was no "doomsday" contingency plan at all. They simply didn't consider the chance of that happening at all.
time to prepare the era post-Lopetegui :D

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
Well they did loose to them last season also

izec

Not sure if they will win a big trophy, but i would be surprised if they werent in the title race for quite a long time and in the semis in the CL. They still have a top squad and a certain playstyle, even if it is much more possession based than usually.

MuFc_1992

I can see Bale having his best season there if he stays fit because the team won't be oriented towards getting the best out of Ronaldo.

zonaldefending

Liverpool Fan
Not sure if they will win a big trophy, but i would be surprised if they werent in the title race for quite a long time and in the semis in the CL. They still have a top squad and a certain playstyle, even if it is much more possession based than usually.

They don’t look great right now, but, which team will look great after their first 2-3 matches. The style is changing slightly so it’ll take a while for them to get on the same page with new tactics, etc. They have such good quality, especially in the first 11, that they’ll be in the hunt for the league this year.

Loublaze

ATLien
They don’t look great right now, but, which team will look great after their first 2-3 matches. The style is changing slightly so it’ll take a while for them to get on the same page with new tactics, etc. They have such good quality, especially in the first 11, that they’ll be in the hunt for the league this year.
When is that never the case?

Karappa

Not convinced by Lopetegui, he may be a good coach tactically but it's already pretty obvious that he doesn't have the dressing room under control (as much as Zidane). With so many potential boiling points available I'm not sure he'll be able to navigate them successfully.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not convinced by Lopetegui, he may be a good coach tactically but it's already pretty obvious that he doesn't have the dressing room under control (as much as Zidane). With so many potential boiling points available I'm not sure he'll be able to navigate them successfully.
What boiling points?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I can see Bale having his best season there if he stays fit because the team won't be oriented towards getting the best out of Ronaldo.
Agree he needs to stay fit though. New RM strategy seems to be blending Spanish youth products with only the very occasional mega signing, Neymar next imo. Can't argue with results really. They've also been very clever getting Kroos and Courtois cheap. 13 Spanish players in the squad. Very well run club these days.

They could actually be a better team in the league at least without Ronaldo, we'll see I guess.

RoyH1

Like I wrote before, it won't be a terrible season. Madrid will drop less points against mid, lower table points due to a more consistent gameplan from Lopetegui. Last season they lost in Girona.

Having said that, I think they will suffer against loaded teams in big games. The massive bench they had in seasons past just isn't there, specially up front. If Benzema or Bale go down, in comes...Mayoral? That's not good enough in the CL or against Atlético or Barsa.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Casemiro was shocking last night. And we still don'r move nearly enough off the ball, the midfielders don't make cuts and runs into the box. 3 games in, and we're a worse version of the last 2 seasons...lots of work to do for lopetegui

Stiliyan

Supports
Real Madrid
This is Real Madrid we're talking about!
What do you mean with this? Ronaldo asked to leave, not the other way round. 100 million euros for a player without any alternative in the market neither in football perspective, nor in image rights.
Kovacic wanted to leave for more playing time, we let him go.
Morata also wanted to leave to be first choice striker and we let him go.
James wanted to leave, Real agreed to absurd terms by Bayern just to satisfy his wish.
All of these players were important for the club and helped Real Madrid win first double since forever.
From the best bench in the world, we now have only youngsters there.

Casemiro was shocking last night. And we still don'r move nearly enough off the ball, the midfielders don't make cuts and runs into the box. 3 games in, and we're a worse version of the last 2 seasons...lots of work to do for lopetegui
Too early for such conclusions. Given the fact that this is our best start in the league since 2010/2011...
I liked the fact that JL subbed out Marcelo when we were in the lead. Marcelo has been disaster and all of the trouble was coming from his side.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What do you mean with this? Ronaldo asked to leave, not the other way round. 100 million euros for a player without any alternative in the market neither in football perspective, nor in image rights.
Kovacic wanted to leave for more playing time, we let him go.
Morata also wanted to leave to be first choice striker and we let him go.
James wanted to leave, Real agreed to absurd terms by Bayern just to satisfy his wish.
All of these players were important for the club and helped Real Madrid win first double since forever.
From the best bench in the world, we now have only youngsters there.

Too early for such conclusions. Given the fact that this is our best start in the league since 2010/2011...
I liked the fact that JL subbed out Marcelo when we were in the lead. Marcelo has been disaster and all of the trouble was coming from his side.
Who replaces Marcelo nowadays ?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I liked the last match.I like the new style of possession, especially because it is being fast and fluid.
I like the new position of Kroos, and the freedom and freshness in the attack.
Benzema is a different player, Bale is in goal/assist every match and Asensio, although with gaps played a very good second half.
However Lopetegui has to improve certain issues with the players/board, questions perhaps inconsequential but usually end badly.
It's okay to trust Isco and Ceballos, but it was Modric's second straight game on the bench. It would be wonderful to put Modric in the most beautiful matches to not tire him but it is not realistic in the long term.
Nor is it good that the second captain begins to complain about substitutions, or that Vinicius has been sent to play with Castilla.
Madrid is about to sign Mariano,when he was very close to Sevilla.Mayoral to Sevilla on loan
Who replaces Marcelo nowadays ?
Reguilón,from Castilla.He played a good preseason but was quite unknown before.
Nacho could play there too

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I liked the last match.I like the new style of possession, especially because it is being fast and fluid.
I like the new position of Kroos, and the freedom and freshness in the attack.
Benzema is a different player, Bale is in goal/assist every match and Asensio, although with gaps played a very good second half.
However Lopetegui has to improve certain issues with the players/board, questions perhaps inconsequential but usually end badly.
It's okay to trust Isco and Ceballos, but it was Modric's second straight game on the bench. It would be wonderful to put Modric in the most beautiful matches to not tire him but it is not realistic in the long term.
Nor is it good that the second captain begins to complain about substitutions, or that Vinicius has been sent to play with Castilla.
Madrid is about to sign Mariano,when he was very close to Sevilla.Mayoral to Sevilla on loan

Reguilón,from Castilla.He played a good preseason but was quite unknown before.
Nacho could play there too
So the Hernandez who couldn't do kick ups really left :lol: ?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Madrid is about to sign Mariano,when he was very close to Sevilla.
Mariano Diaz?!? Hahahaha..

I’m sorry (and maybe I’ll end up with egg on my face later) but I watched most Lyon games last season and Mariano was absolute garbage. To the point that I was making jokes about him every game, and laughing when he was brought on. If Diaz is Madrid’s new level, then they really do have problems.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Mariano Diaz?!? Hahahaha..

I’m sorry (and maybe I’ll end up with egg on my face later) but I watched most Lyon games last season and Mariano was absolute garbage. To the point that I was making jokes about him every game, and laughing when he was brought on. If Diaz is Madrid’s new level, then they really do have problems.
yes, not the most exciting transfer after the expectations created. From Neymar to Mariano.
I would like to think that they are saving the money for a future when Neymar or Mbappé are available and consider that Icardi,Lewandowski,Werner are very expensive.
Personally I prefer to pay 20 for Mariano (they'll pay 30 but Madrid has 35% of the rights) than 50 or 60 for Rodrigo, who was the option that Lopetegui wanted.
Actually I liked him during his time in Madrid. He did well when he played and I read that people are happy with his return, but maybe It's simply because he is quite appreciated by the fans.
From Lyon I only saw highlights with the goals but never the mistakes.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Actually I liked him during his time in Madrid. He did well when he played and I read that people are happy with his return, but maybe It's simply because he is quite appreciated by the fans.
From Lyon I only saw highlights with the goals but never the mistakes.
He could turn out to be a different player surrounded by the talent you guys have, but at Lyon he just looked like an over-excited puppy half the time. I was always a bit surprised when he actually scored, although to be fair to him he did score some nice goals.