Real Madrid need to get ready for a terrible season | It’s happening

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Rumours from the usual sketchy Spanish media sources they are after Eriksen to replace Modric. Dont think they will be getting any players from the EPL as clubs dont have a chance to replace them until the next window.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Even if you don't have a Ronaldo or Messi type figure, usually every top team has to have a top goalscorer. And putting all your eggs in the Benzema and Bale basket, seems like an unnecessary risk to me.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Rumours from the usual sketchy Spanish media sources they are after Eriksen to replace Modric. Dont think they will be getting any players from the EPL as clubs dont have a chance to replace them until the next window.
They don’t have a chance with Eriksen I think, I would say it’s more likely that they would convince Chelsea to sell them Hazard and that’s almost impossible too. Spurs do not have any way they could figure it out if Eriksen left, they would be without their main playmaker and whoever could replace him in the starting line up would not come close to providing his qualities.

MUFC OK

They don’t have a chance with Eriksen I think, I would say it’s more likely that they would convince Chelsea to sell them Hazard and that’s almost impossible too. Spurs do not have any way they could figure it out if Eriksen left, they would be without their main playmaker and whoever could replace him in the starting line up would not come close to providing his qualities.
Ever man has his price but I imagine given the circumstances that it would take nearly £200m to make this deal happen. He would be more than capable though, he's a fantastic player.

Sarni

Ever man has his price but I imagine given the circumstances that it would take nearly £200m to make this deal happen. He would be more than capable though, he's a fantastic player.
I don’t even think they would sell him for £200m under these circumstances. Levy is crazy about keeping his players even if they don’t want to stay and in this case he wouldn’t even have a problem with Eriksen trying to force a move I think.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I don’t even think they would sell him for £200m under these circumstances. Levy is crazy about keeping his players even if they don’t want to stay and in this case he wouldn’t even have a problem with Eriksen trying to force a move I think.
And the 200m would mean nothing since he could not buy a player to replace him until January.

Sarni

And the 200m would mean nothing since he could not buy a player to replace him until January.
Even in January it would be almost impossible to bring a very good playmaker. Actually in Tottenham’s case, they aren’t a big club, it would be tough to find a player at the level of Eriksen willing to join them at any given time.

MUFC OK

It would be a struggle, not to mention the meltdown amongst Spurs fans if it happened, but Levy is a money man though and that contributes significantly towards their new stadium.
That's true, and by the same logic you have to wonder why anyone would contemplate United selling Pogba. He would surely be worth even more but would seriously jeopardise the upcoming season for either club.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
AS keep saying Lopetegui asked a centreback, a midfielder and a striker. Watching the market and knowing one can't get world class already made players from big teams, I would try signing Alderweireld/Boateng, Weigl, Milinkovic-Savic, and Icardi. Hell, that would be a massive boost for the squad. I don't think any of them would be impossible to get, just put the money on the table.

Somehow it seems Lopetegui doesn't rate Marcos Llorente, and as much as I rate Fede Valverde, right now it's just too much responsibility for him, I wouldn't put all the midfield eggs in that basket. Kroos-Modric-Casemiro simply can't play 70 matches per season.
Weigl seems discarded, although a while ago his name sounded a lot. I do not think it's necessary to sign two midfielders. It would stop Ceballos / Valverde even more. With Modric / Kroos / Ceballos / Isco, it seems an acceptable risk to sign only a cheaper substitute.
Alderweireld had a very bad experience in Atlético.Imagine that we spend 40/50m and he fails again.Besides he is too old.I read about De Ligt/Romagnoli.
Icardi seems a good option(I'd like Lautaro Martínez too) but don't know how the relations are now with Inter.According to Marca/As Madrid want to denounce Inter for the interest in Modric (Madrid denouncing another club for speaking with players with a contract,jejeje)

Sarni

If they want a center back then Alderweireld is still a viable option. I think he wouldn’t be close to first team there though, Varane and Ramos should be their main pair but with three main competitions he would still get to play a lot.

They should probably go younger though.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Even in January it would be almost impossible to bring a very good playmaker. Actually in Tottenham’s case, they aren’t a big club, it would be tough to find a player at the level of Eriksen willing to join them at any given time.
Yeah I think this transfer has legs, but RM will have to wait until next season. Eriksen has not signed a new contract, and is of the age where he probably wants to make that next step if he is good enough. To the RM's/Barca's of the world. Im sure RM wouldnt mind taking Pochettino and Kane off Spurs hands as well, but I dont think even RM has that kind of money just laying about.

Doctor Tornasol

Supports
Football
Weigl seems discarded, although a while ago his name sounded a lot. I do not think it's necessary to sign two midfielders. It would stop Ceballos / Valverde even more. With Modric / Kroos / Ceballos / Isco, it seems an acceptable risk to sign only a cheaper substitute.
Alderweireld had a very bad experience in Atlético.Imagine that we spend 40/50m and he fails again.Besides he is too old.I read about De Ligt/Romagnoli.
Icardi seems a good option(I'd like Lautaro Martínez too) but don't know how the relations are now with Inter.According to Marca/As Madrid want to denounce Inter for the interest in Modric (Madrid denouncing another club for speaking with players with a contract,jejeje)
Marcos Llorente isn't rated by Julen and Kovacic is gone, that's 2 midfielders less. Fede Valverde can't be your miracle man behind Kroos-Modric-Casemiro, I really rate him but it's too much for him. I don't see Ceballos and Isco playing a consistent midfielder role, but if Lopetegui gets any of them fulfilling that deeper role instead of an attack front 3 or trequartista role, then sure. But that's a bet, it's not a safe decision with safe consequences. I see more potential for that MF role in Ceballos than in Isco tho. And none of them can play the Casemiro role, Real Madrid has nobody to be his sub or to rotate as Marcos Llorente doesn't fill Lopetegui's eye.

I have nothing against Real Madrid developing their youngsters, they have some massive potential talents there. But remember: even Barça, when Valdés, Puyol, Xavi and Iniesta appeared with Van Gaal, won almost nothing. You can't put all the weight of a team in the youngsters if you want to win big trophies. If you don't want to win trophies but simply developing youth no matter the consequences, sure. But no project lasts more than 1 year in Madrid without trophies, you know it well.

I'm not saying he's the panacea, but can't compare the Toby from Atleti to the Toby from Spurs. I'm not saying he's gonna make the difference, but you need something more, and there's little more available. I rate De Ligt, but that's another youngster. You also need already made players with 26-29 y.o.

But anyway, it's simply imo.

PS: I don't see how the hell Eriksen could solve anything of this btw. It would be a completely redundant signing imo.

Last edited:

JoaquinJoaquin

Zidane knew this teams cycle was coming to an end, hence walking away. I think they will finish 3rd this season. The lack of squad depth and forward line is a major concern. Bale is often injured, Benzema is a bit meh these days and does Lucas Vasquez ever have a good game? He is the absolute epitomy of mediocre, and he will be a main starter this season. That is a big concern.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Marcos Llorente isn't rated by Julen and Kovacic is gone, that's 2 midfielders less. Fede Valverde can't be your miracle man behind Kroos-Modric-Casemiro, I really rate him but it's too much for him. I don't see Ceballos and Isco playing a consistent midfielder role, but if Lopetegui gets any of them fulfilling that deeper role instead of an attack front 3 or trequartista role, then sure. But that's a bet, it's not a safe decision with safe consequences. I see more potential for that MF role in Ceballos than in Isco tho. And none of them can play the Casemiro role, Real Madrid has nobody to be his sub or to rotate as Marcos Llorente doesn't fill Lopetegui's eye.

I have nothing against Real Madrid developing their youngsters, they have some massive potential talents there. But remember: even Barça, when Valdés, Puyol, Xavi and Iniesta appeared with Van Gaal, won almost nothing. You can't put all the weight of a team in the youngsters if you want to win big trophies. If you don't want to win trophies but simply developing youth no matter the consequences, sure. But no coach lasts more than 1 year in Madrid without trophies, you know it well.

I'm not saying he's the panacea, but can't compare the Toby from Atleti to the Toby from Spurs. I'm not saying he's gonna make the difference, but you need something more, and there's little more available. I rate De Ligt, but that's another youngster. You also need already made players with 26-29 y.o.

But anyway, it's simply imo.

PS: I don't see how the hell Eriksen could solve anything of this btw. It would be a completely redundant signing imo.
Probably you are right but it might sound better to spend that amount on a midfielder. The truth Tornasol is that I do not know what I want. Every week I want something different. as you say it seems that Llorente is going to leave, and possibly Vallejo too.

Now it is said that they are waiting for a possible sanction to PSG the last days of the transfer market to try something. Pure improvisation

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Odegaard might go on loan again to Heerenveen

Doctor Tornasol

Supports
Football
Every week I want something different.
Believe me, I completely understand you. It all looks COMPLETELY chaotic right now. I'm not even madridista as I told you, but this feeling about Real Madrid's situation right now... I got it before, and it didn't end up well. I know Real Madrid grows when in turmoil, but this is not the kind of turmoil that usually boosts Real Madrid, I think you as madridista understand what I mean.

Pure improvisation
Absolutely. As I heard today, it's like Florentino got completely knocked out after Zidane leaving. There was no "doomsday" contingency plan at all. They simply didn't consider the chance of that happening at all.

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
We need Hazard+ Icardi/Lewandowski/Werner before the end of the month.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't even think Bale staying fit is enough. Bale most prolific season has him scoring 23 goals in all competition. When last did Benzema score on a regular basis and Benzema is 31.
They are taking an almighty gamble not signing anyone.

Adisa

They've also gone from having by far the best bench in football to a bench I don't even think is better than ours.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Lopetegui is giving a shape, a structure of the way this Real Madrid team will play. It will take a bit of time for the players to adapt but the quality is there so i think Real will do just fine during the season.

JSArsenal

What is a terrible Real Madrid season?

Champions League semi-finals, 3rd in the league and the Copa Del Rey?

RoyH1

Clearout of the manager and his coaching staff and 5 or 6 new players being brought in:lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I agree that we needed more signings in defence. I've been saying that for years though. I knew letting Pepe go was a mistake and i know going into the season with only 3 reliable CBs, and only 1 LB will be another. It's not like Varane had been amazing and the market didn't offer good options. Inter got De Vrij on a free FFS

And it's even worse at LB, where Marcelo might well find himself with no cover for essentially the 4th straight season. Theo was a mistake, allright, but at least a mistake in the right direction. I know Reguilon looked good in preseason, but last year we were saying the same things of achraf...

I'm also a bit troubled by the way the midfield has gone stale, with a lack of a reliable backup for Casemiro(i'm not against trusting Llorente, Ceballos and Isco. But the manager needs to trust them, too, otherwise we end up like last season. Better to sign someone else in that case)

Nothing to say about the attack though. Flo let Mendes take him to the shed with Cristiano, but in general, i didn't see any good realistic options in the market. Neymar, Mbappé, Cavani, Lewandowski and Kane were simply not for sale. Maybe if Flo moved on Salah in April/May instead of pining after Neymar, that might have been possible, though the CL final might have complicated things. Beyond them i just don't see other options. I watch Icardi every week and i'd sooner roll the dice with Benzema than blow €350m(total) on him...

There just weren't any good enough players available. Just look at least season when Chelsea and United fought like dogs over Morata and Lukaku. We could have pursued a solid backup i guess, but then, who?

James Peril

Replacing Modric... with Eriksen or Hazard? People have imagination. None of these players are remotely similar to Modric, and Eriksen isn’t anywhere near good enough. Yeah he has a good set-piece and great delivery when he has time on the ball, but you won’t see him when he doesn’t. At Spurs and for Denmark you can have two out of five games that are shit, at Real Madrid you simply cannot.

Modric, even though small and skinny, had an excellent brain when it comes to defensive work and getting out of trouble. Eriksen is not the same player at all

Doctor Tornasol

Supports
Football
I'm also a bit troubled by the way the midfield has gone stale, with a lack of a reliable backup for Casemiro(i'm not against trusting Llorente, Ceballos and Isco. But the manager needs to trust them, too, otherwise we end up like last season. Better to sign someone else in that case)
The thing is neither Ceballos nor Isco can play the Casemiro role, it's simply ridiculous. It's like Coutinho playing in Busquets role, it's nuts. As I said, Ceballos playing the midfield playmaker role whether rotating Kroos or Modric should potentially work if he's accompanied by the experience of Casemiro and one of the other two -I don't see Isco playing that role as much as him, he may play 5 matches a season in that role due to extreme needs, but Isco has ALWAYS been better playing near the rival area, it's a fact-.

I do rate Llorente as a straight backup for Casemiro, but Lopetegui not rating him did surprise me. I thought it was some kind of Zidane crazy fixation, same he had with James just disliking him for whatever reason, but if Lopetegui doesn't rate him either... He's becoming another Theo.

Reactions: Penna

Inter Yer Nan

I think no trophies would constitute a terrible season for them.

I think they'll come 3rd and I think they'd need a bit of luck to get to the CL semi's or win CDR as I think there's 5 or 6 sides better than them and 2 of those are in the same country.

Adisa

Replacing Modric... with Eriksen or Hazard? People have imagination. None of these players are remotely similar to Modric, and Eriksen isn’t anywhere near good enough. Yeah he has a good set-piece and great delivery when he has time on the ball, but you won’t see him when he doesn’t. At Spurs and for Denmark you can have two out of five games that are shit, at Real Madrid you simply cannot.

Modric, even though small and skinny, had an excellent brain when it comes to defensive work and getting out of trouble. Eriksen is not the same player at all
Madrid simply aren't going to find a similar player that's anywhere near good enough.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Did they just arrogantly think they'd have their pick of the top players like old days? Thus letting Ronaldo leave and just casually presuming they'd get whoever else in?
Did they miss that the transfer market has changed immeasurably?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Did they just arrogantly think they'd have their pick of the top players like old days? Thus letting Ronaldo leave and just casually presuming they'd get whoever else in?
Did they miss that the transfer market has changed immeasurably?
Maybe they simply let a player go because he asked to? No arrogance, just respecting the wishes of a club legend.