Real Madrid need to get ready for a terrible season | It’s happening

Doctor Tornasol

Supports
Football
This time last year Real spanked Barca by something like 4 goals and Barca looked screwed and ended up winning the double
Plus Real Madrid won the 2017 European Super Cup against United... without Ronaldo :wenger:

BTW, interesting fact: this is the first international final lost by Real Madrid in 18 years, after 13 titles.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Think most Madridistas are calling for Kane; would be the ideal fit in a 442 unless Benzema drops from the starting 11.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I thought their general football was excellent in the first half. All in all, the defence, particular Ramos and Varane, was pretty hopeless as it was last year in the league. What they do need in an upgrade/alternate goalscorer to Benzema and Bale. It's just silly to put all your faith an in ageing Benzema and an often injured Bale. I also think Bale has to be played in and around Benzema rather than on the wing.

I expect Isco and Asensio to really step up this season.

marktan

They still have a very good first XI that'll give any team a game.

But it's crazy how how much they've allowed their squad depth to deplete. Consider this - in Zidane's first season their bench regularly consisted of Morata, James Rodrigues, Asensio and Kovacic. All of those have now left, Asensio's been bumped to a starter, and they've not signed one single quality player to replace them (barring the 18 year old Brazillian who looks decent).

Their subs today were really bad - Ceballos, Mayoral and Vasquez - those would be fine bringing late on in a match to see the game out - but with an ageing first XI those players will be expected to put in regular starting appearances. Just not good enough really and makes me really wonder what Madrid have been doing in the transfer window these last couple of years.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

But it's crazy how how much they've allowed their squad depth to deplete. Consider this - in Zidane's first season their bench regularly consisted of Morata, James Rodrigues, Asensio and Kovacic. All of those have now left, Asensio's been bumped to a starter, and they've not signed one single quality player to replace them (barring the 18 year old Brazillian who looks decent).

Their subs today were really bad - Ceballos, Mayoral and Vasquez - those would be fine bringing late on in a match to see the game out - but with an ageing first XI those players will be expected to put in regular starting appearances. Just not good enough really and makes me really wonder what Madrid have been doing in the transfer window these last couple of years.
Players of that quality are not going to be content with a squad player role.

flappyjay

Think most Madridistas are calling for Kane; would be the ideal fit in a 442 unless Benzema drops from the starting 11.
One of the few people who could go somewhere close to replicate ronaldo's goal scoring ability. They wouldn't need to bench isco or Bale to fit him inn either. But the English window is closed and I don't think Levy would play ball even if it was open.

A-man

That is maybe the biggest difference. They played high tempo football and when everybody was tired, Real put three super subs on the pitch, maintained the high tempo, and that was often the difference. Ok, they will have one world class midfielder on the bench if no injuries, but not comparable to 2-3 years ago.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm quite sure they will buy 1 or 2 players. No way are they gonna start the season with this squad. The bench looks weak.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Yesterday I liked the first half of Madrid. Bale with a lot of presence, with the three of the attack moving a lot and Karim very involved.
Asensio did not have his best day but I would have left him a little more time in the field.
In the midfield it seems that Kroos plays closer to the defense.
Marcelo is always late on vacation and I do not know why he changed Casemiro, he had a blow ?.
I think that the moment that staged the need to sign was the extra time, when the best possible substitution is Mayoral.
Not very reassuring.
Apparently Madrid are interested in Rodrigo and Thiago. For 120/140 million I can think of better options.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Yesterday I liked the first half of Madrid. Bale with a lot of presence, with the three of the attack moving a lot and Karim very involved.
Asensio did not have his best day but I would have left him a little more time in the field.
In the midfield it seems that Kroos plays closer to the defense.
Marcelo is always late on vacation and I do not know why he changed Casemiro, he had a blow ?.
I think that the moment that staged the need to sign was the extra time, when the best possible substitution is Mayoral.
Not very reassuring.
Apparently Madrid are interested in Rodrigo and Thiago. For 120/140 million I can think of better options.
In this market and this late in the window? Who?

RoyH1

Plus Real Madrid won the 2017 European Super Cup against United... without Ronaldo :wenger:

BTW, interesting fact: this is the first international final lost by Real Madrid in 18 years, after 13 titles.
That's an insane statistic. Absolutely bonkers.

You could almost argue that statistically they were due a loss in an international final. But it's clear that they simply have not replaced sufficiently the losses of some big players over the last couple of years. Bringing Mayoral when down by 2 is not going to win you any silverwarwe. They need a veteran centre forward who can push Benzema and a midfielder who can replace the tempo that Kovacic brought when he came in from the bench.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
In this market and this late in the window? Who?
It can be a player instead of two, or two paying a little more. A top level forward Icardi type (110?), And an "unknown" midfielder by 30.Or Rabiot, 50 and a forward by 90. Or even Rodrigo, that seems feasible now that Valencia has Gameiro / Batsuayi but another midfielder. Lemar... :drool: ... :(

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
It can be a player instead of two, or two paying a little more. A top level forward Icardi type (110?), And an "unknown" midfielder by 30.Or Rabiot, 50 and a forward by 90. Or even Rodrigo, that seems feasible now that Valencia has Gameiro / Batsuayi but another midfielder. Lemar... :drool: ... :(
If it was in July I’d agree but now I don’t think there’s any chance the likes of Icardi or Milinkovic-Savic get sold and I don’t think Madrid will settle for worse than that with the prices in the current market. It would be very tough to even get someone like Rodrigo at this point, I’d be surprised if someone else comes in now.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
One of the few people who could go somewhere close to replicate ronaldo's goal scoring ability. They wouldn't need to bench isco or Bale to fit him inn either. But the English window is closed and I don't think Levy would play ball even if it was open.
Kane would be prohibitively expensive, like the most expensive transfer in football ever kind of expensive. Just signed a new improved contract at Spurs, 25, arguably the best out and out striker in the game atm.

LoneStar

Hazard and Lewandowski with Salah in the summer, do it Perez !
Na, feck the Spainish giants. I'm tired of all them always hand picking the best players from all other clubs.

Now that Ronaldo is gone, and once Messi retires, they will be in the same level as the rest of the top clubs.

But on topic, it's very surprising that they let Ronaldo go without buying a superstar player. If there was ever a year to splash crazy money, this would be it.

Who knows, maybe they have something big planned next year. Neymar or Mbappe.

Ziginho

Supports
Barcelona
As a Barca fan I'm delighted to see RM struggle so much. Finally their luck ended. Zidane really had a voodoo charm and a winning aura around him. With him and CR7 gone it's all falling apart for them now. Tbh I think that they will struggle even for the top 4 in La Liga. There is no quality enough on the bench to be competetive on all fronts. Vazquez, Ceballos, Mayoral are good to be in a midtable team but not good enough to make a starting 11 with RM. I think that this season is going to be a disaster for Real. Nothing to worry about that though. :)

Trizy

As a Barca fan I'm delighted to see RM struggle so much. Finally their luck ended. Zidane really had a voodoo charm and a winning aura around him. With him and CR7 gone it's all falling apart for them now. Tbh I think that they will struggle even for the top 4 in La Liga. There is no quality enough on the bench to be competetive on all fronts. Vazquez, Ceballos, Mayoral are good to be in a midtable team but not good enough to make a starting 11 with RM. I think that this season is going to be a disaster for Real. Nothing to worry about that though. :)
Great first post. feck Madrid.

Promote this man to member!

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Na, feck the Spainish giants. I'm tired of all them always hand picking the best players from all other clubs.

Now that Ronaldo is gone, and once Messi retires, they will be in the same level as the rest of the top clubs.

But on topic, it's very surprising that they let Ronaldo go without buying a superstar player. If there was ever a year to splash crazy money, this would be it.

Who knows, maybe they have something big planned next year. Neymar or Mbappe.
I really do not think they planned for it at all or expected it.

gaucho_10

Lose one player and they need a transition season? Their issue is the revolving door for managers.
Our issue right now is selling goal scorers season after season (James, Morata, Ronaldo) and not replacing them with aynone. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for your "revolving door comment", managers deliver or they get sacked. Considering Real Madrid is by far the most succesfull club in Europe, I'd say that part or our policy is spot on.

You think you'll get another SAF? You won't, there are no others like him around.

Doctor Tornasol

Supports
Football
AS keep saying Lopetegui asked a centreback, a midfielder and a striker. Watching the market and knowing one can't get world class already made players from big teams, I would try signing Alderweireld/Boateng, Weigl, Milinkovic-Savic, and Icardi. Hell, that would be a massive boost for the squad. I don't think any of them would be impossible to get, just put the money on the table.

Somehow it seems Lopetegui doesn't rate Marcos Llorente, and as much as I rate Fede Valverde, right now it's just too much responsibility for him, I wouldn't put all the midfield eggs in that basket. Kroos-Modric-Casemiro simply can't play 70 matches per season.

Le Red

Our issue right now is selling goal scorers season after season (James, Morata, Ronaldo) and not replacing them with aynone. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for your "revolving door comment", managers deliver or they get sacked. Considering Real Madrid is by far the most succesfull club in Europe, I'd say that part or our policy is spot on.

You think you'll get another SAF? You won't, there are no others like him around.
You know what you are saying. Sometimes people call for patience with the manager only for patience's sake. You have to give chances to managers that feel like he's leading the team somewhere. If it's clearly not working the door's always there, no use delaying what needs doing for 5 years.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
AS keep saying Lopetegui asked a centreback, a midfielder and a striker. Watching the market and knowing one can't get world class already made players from big teams, I would try signing Alderweireld/Boateng, Weigl, Milinkovic-Savic, and Icardi. Hell, that would be a massive boost for the squad. I don't think any of them would be impossible to get, just put the money on the table.

Somehow it seems Lopetegui doesn't rate Marcos Llorente, and as much as I rate Fede Valverde, right now it's just too much responsibility for him, I wouldn't put all the midfield eggs in that basket. Kroos-Modric-Casemiro simply can't play 70 matches per season.
Alderweireld is definitely available, Spurs have been trying to sell him because he will not sign a new contract at Spurs.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
If Bale stays fit the whole season and plays at a high level then they’ll be more than fine and most likely compete for the big trophies. If that doesn’t happen they don’t have a chance of winning the league or the CL unless Lopetegui turns into a footballing genius.

With the current squad that’s pretty much their position.

Colombian Mancunian

They need a striker urgently. Kane is imposible due to BPL window being closed. It’s betwe overpaying for Lewandowski or Cavani (both awesome, but over 30), or going with Icardi who may cost 100-120, which isn’t crazy on this market.

With a goalless number nine as Benzecrap, Madrid ain’t winning anything this season. That’s sad, not because I want Madrid to win, but because I want UEFAlona to fail. Madrid La Liga and Atletico Copa del Rey.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I still find it staggering that they sold their 50 goal a season forward without any reinforcements. That’s without looking into the fact they lost both James and Morata last summer who chipped with 20-30 goals between them.

You can have all the creativity in the side but you need a finisher to put all those chances away. Benzema has been finished for a while and relying on Bale to remain fit through the season is a wish in itself.

I expect a few late buys still, they are way too light at the moment.

Kapardin

They need a striker urgently. Kane is imposible due to BPL window being closed. It’s betwe overpaying for Lewandowski or Cavani (both awesome, but over 30), or going with Icardi who may cost 100-120, which isn’t crazy on this market.

With a goalless number nine as Benzecrap, Madrid ain’t winning anything this season. That’s sad, not because I want Madrid to win, but because I want UEFAlona to fail. Madrid La Liga and Atletico Copa del Rey.
Icardi would be a bargain for 100 million, but I don't see Inter letting him go. He seems to be happy as well.

Doctor Tornasol

Supports
Football
Icardi would be a bargain for 100 million, but I don't see Inter letting him go. He seems to be happy as well.
I think it was Pedrerol the one saying several times Wanda Nara wants to bring him to Real Madrid by land, sea or air, offering him from time to time. I trust him when it comes to Real Madrid as the source of his words is always Florentino.

Anyway, I did hear someone reliable talking about that recently. Not about Real Madrid potentially signing him but about Wanda teasing around.

Can Bale stay fit for the whole season that's the real question - I think that's what Madrid are expecting.