Real to reject Guard of Honour for Barcelona | Small time or nothing major?

Canagel

Barcelona wouldn't do it for Madrid either. Don't understand the fuss around guards of honour. It doesn't really matter whether it's done or not.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Stuck between "Real are smalltime if they don't wanna return the favour" and "teams shouldn't even be forced to shake hands before games"...

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Why should they give a guard of honour ? The games gone soft with all this pathetic back slapping. As a fan it wouldn’t bother me one bit if the opposition didn’t give my title winning team a guard of honour. No one ever used to do it and everything rocked along perfectley nicely. it’s one of these fads a bit like giving every Tom, Dick and Harry a minutes applause when they pass away.

I can never get my head around why opposition teams stand and watch The Haka in rugby. Far far too much respect. I’d turn my back or if I was the coach call a team meeting or something down the tunnel.
That would be simply stupid though.

Notwithstanding the cultural backlash that would ensue, it just riles up the other team. Who just happened to be the greatest National team in sport.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The whole Guard of Honour thing is really stupid and unnecessary. So City are going to get clapped onto the pitch for the rest of the season??

Going on about sportsmanship and being small time is a joke, when you consider all the diving and dirty tackles that go on in the game.

I don't blame Real Madrid at all! It shouldn't be a compulsory thing either.

FujiVice

One thing I bet, Rangers and Celtic would never give each other a guard of honour in this day and age. There would be hell on in the crowd.

FujiVice

I thought you had to do it...
Individual players dont have to do it if they dont want to. I think there was a Celtic player on load to a club who had to do it for Rangers and he didnt do it. It's a respect thing more than a rule.

Parry Gallister

Doesn't really matter, but they should if it's the presentation day or the match immediately after a win, I'd want us to do it to City or Arsenal for example. At worst, it's just the class thing to do. At best, it's something for your own players to react to.

theralyst

I actually don't mind. Being petty against your bitter rivals is what makes football fun. I wouldn't want us to do one for Liverpool either - not much chance of that happening though.

manunited1919

Either all clubs have to do it, or no clubs should do it, ever.

So if Real would like to have a guard of honor next time they win La Liga, they have got to man up and do it for Barsa. Or get docked points for next seasons n in liu of doing the GofH.

manutddjw

Im ok with this even though I want nothing more than to bash Madrid. To be honest I miss the hate in football. I’ve been watching football since 1994 and nothing has come close to us vs Arsenal. Good football, big characters and a proper rivalry and hatred between everyone involved. To me that hatred has been sorely missed.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Barca showed class when they did it for Real. It's total bullshit they dont repay the favour.
Times change massively though and the rivalry wasn't as vitriolic as it is now. It was a bit of a dull period in between the Figo saga and Pep-Jose antics that ramped everything up tenfold.

Plus add in all the Catalan nationalism stuff going on at the minute and it's impossible to compare to 2008 (yes I'm aware Catalan nationalism was around then too).

InfiniteBoredom

Im ok with this even though I want nothing more than to bash Madrid. To be honest I miss the hate in football. I’ve been watching football since 1994 and nothing has come close to us vs Arsenal. Good football, big characters and a proper rivalry and hatred between everyone involved. To me that hatred has been sorely missed.
Madrid-Barca 10-12 was pretty bad.

A heated rivalry has to come down from the managers imo. If they are all lovey dovey then the players will hardly be arsed to scrap on the pitch.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
i think every team lower in the table should give a guard of honor to the team higher in the table. ive bolded the teams giving the guard of honor this weekend to demonstrate my idea.

Stoke v Crystal Palace
Bournemourth v Swansea
Leicester v West Ham
Watford
v Newcastle
West Brom v Tottenham
Everton v Southhampton

and thats for saturday, wait till you what sunday has to offer

Manchester City v Huddersfield
Arsenal v Burnley
Chelsea
v Liverpool

imagine how thrilled bournemouth fans will be see their players get a guard of honor. just think of how proud scott danns parents will be to see him walk in between a clapping joe allen and geoff cameron

manutddjw

Madrid-Barca 10-12 was pretty bad.

A heated rivalry has to come down from the managers imo. If they are all lovey dovey then the players will hardly be arsed to scrap on the pitch.
I agree with that. Sir Alex and Wenger speaks for itself, but I also thought the high point of our rivalry in the Premier League was when Benitez was managing them and the Suarez vs Evra feud. Despite competing with them for years I never felt the hate vs Chelsea from the players which validates your point because Sir Alex respected Mourinho and Ancelotti.

manunited1919

Suggestions like this are why I’m iffy about it
If cnut’s such as Sergio Ramos wants to treat the tradition like garbage, just let him do it, but as long as they pay a price. If they don’t want to pay a price, then just do the honorable thing and do the GofH for the Champions.

manunited1919

Any chance the disrespect shown by Sergio Ramos will affect the Spain national team during the WC?

Seij

Real being Real. Petty and classless. Too bad they're going to win their third CL in a row and will be the heavy favorites again next year.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Didn't Barca refuse to given them a guard of honour after winning the world club cup?
Barca had nothing to do with the CWC, they weren't even eligible for that tournament. Deportivo gave Barca one for Copa Del Rey.

Pretty pathetic from Madrid's perspective, but no one should be surprised.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
They should do it. No need to stoop to Barca's level and refuse. Plus, it's the fecking league ffs not some mickey mouse cup.
LOL Barca gave them one in 2008, Barca have never refused it, they had nothing to do with Club World Cup so it makes sense for them not to do it. Had Madrid won La Liga or CDR I guarantee you Barca would have done it. Had their been a way to give them one after CL Barca would have done it. It's been tradition for nearly a 100 years.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
They did in 2008, look it up.

Barca don't need to give one for club world cup, they had nothing to do with that tournament.
Barça had nothing to do with UEFA and Sevilla had the guard of honour

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You compete on the field. When the dust is settled it's just a game of sports after all.

Small time for madrid, besides barcelona gave them in 2008. You don't want to give them the satisfaction fight on the field .not outside of it

redshaw

Who gives a shite? When did this Guard of honour become a thing?
United gave a guard of honour in the 1950s to Chelsea under Sir Matt Busby and to Arsenal in 1991. Not sure when it became a thing, might go quite far back in English sport.

Would like to know how long it's been done in Spanish football or is it a recent thing?

It's nice gesture and show of respect, I don't mind it but at the same time I can understand if we never saw it again for a league winners next fixture after securing the league.

It feels right to do so on a cup final day by standing in line or simply applauding and looking on when the trophy is lifted, it's all on the day.

Last edited:

dogwithabone

I agree. The very best atmospheres in football are when there’s an undercurrent of hatred, when everything from the actual game to the terraces is played out right on the edge.

PaulRich

Non-Event. These two are major, bitter rivals I'd be pissed off if we ever did it at Anfield or the Emptyhad.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
United gave a guard of honour in the 1950s to Chelsea under Sir Matt Busby and to Arsenal in 1991. Not sure when it became a thing, might go quite far back in English sport.

Would like to know how long it's been done in Spanish football or is it a recent thing?

It's nice gesture and show of respect, I don't mind it but at the same time I can understand if we never saw it again for a league winners next fixture after securing the league.

It feels right to do so on a cup final day by standing in line or simply applauding and looking on when the trophy is lifted, it's all on the day.
When it is done as respect, fair enough, but it seems like a stick for opposition fans to beat teams with now. I remember some on here dreading having to give one to City. Many would see it as kissing their sky blue arse.

Robertd0803

I can never get my head around why opposition teams stand and watch The Haka in rugby. Far far too much respect. I’d turn my back or if I was the coach call a team meeting or something down the tunnel.
My thoughts exactly. Half the time the team watching is already mentally beaten just from watching it.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I'm embarrassed for people who are justifying it by saying Barca didn't do it for them when they won the Club World Cup.

Nobody does that and it's just whataboutery from them to justify not having to do it. I've always known it to be that your first opponent after winning the league gives you one. What next? A guard of honour for winning the Charity Shield?

Although, I will say that in cases of it being your biggest rival I think it's fair game not to but just be open about it and say 'no, we hate you'. Don't make up BS excuses about not getting one after winning a daft tournament with like 4 teams.

Ulises

Supports
Real Madrid
It's kinda classless. As a Blanco, I'm ashamed. The first Pasillo (guard of honour)
was in 1988 between Madrid and Barça (2:1 for Madrid, btw). It's a tradition and the love of my live Madrid is breaking it. As Santiago Bernabéu says once "La camiseta del Real Madrid es blanca. Se puede manchar de barro, sudor y hasta sangre, pero jamás de vergüenza"

I'm just ashamed. Just do it, dammit.

Edit: Betis didn't do the Pasillo for Barça, after the Club World Cup, cause it isn't a tradition. So, Madrid ist wrong here.