Real to reject Guard of Honour for Barcelona | Small time or nothing major?

shaky

Obviously they do not have to give a guard of honour.

Equally, Fergie didn't have to turn up in the away team dressing room with bottles of Champagne when Arsenal clinched the title by beating us at Old Trafford in 2002. But he did it anyway.

Real Madrid are pathetic and embarrassing.
Fergie's gesture was classy because it was personal and surprising. If the common expectation of all losing managers in that situation was to take a bottle of champagne to the winning team's dressing room, then it would have totally taken away from what was special about it. Doing what he did would have only been regarded as embarrassing, but necessary to avoid looking like a sore loser.
If any team wants to give a guard of honour, then fair play to them, but if the losing team are only doing it out of some sort of social obligation rather than out of genuine respect, then what's the point?

Decomposing In Paris

Fergie's gesture was classy because it was personal and surprising. If the common expectation of all losing managers in that situation was to take a bottle of champagne to the winning team's dressing room, then it would have totally taken away from what was special about it. Doing what he did would have only been regarded as embarrassing, but necessary to avoid looking like a sore loser.
If any team wants to give a guard of honour, then fair play to them, but if the losing team are only doing it out of some sort of social obligation rather than out of genuine respect, then what's the point?
It's an interesting one, because had City won the league against us this season, and if Mourinho then showed up with 2 bottles of champagne... I'm not sure it would have gone down so well on here.

Infra-red

I don't disagree and nor do I think taking champagne to the opposing team's dressing room is the obligation of every manager - I was just using it as an example of magnanimity in defeat and respect for one's advisaries, even in acute situations. But then that begs the question, why don't Madrid respect Barcelona's achievement.

Last edited:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Tbh, wish they ditch it altogether. It's not sincere, most players probably hate it, fans certainly hate it, so it is born out of some kind of tradition and feelings of sportsmanship which are not even honest in the first place.

I wouldn't care if for example Liverpool/City refuse to do it to us.

LoneStar

Well I wouldn’t want to give it to the likes of Liverpool or City, so makes sense. feck being nice and everything, all I care about is the football part.

Infra-red

It's an interesting one, because had City won the league against us this season, and if Mourinho then showed up with 2 bottles of champagne... I'm not sure it would have gone down so well on here.
It might not have gone down well on here in 2002 either, but, 16 years later, in the cold light of day, we can appreciate it for the act of magnanimity it was.

I'd have been disappointed if we hadn't given City a guard of honour this season, if they'd wrapped up the title in the game before the derby. *shudders at the thought*

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't think anyone here would want to do it for Liverpool if they ever win the league, and I doubt anyone would think of it as to being classless. It's just being a rival.
Any examples of us doing a guard of honour for Chelsea or Arsenal isn't even comparable to Liverpool.
I'd definitely want us to do it if that horrific situation ever arose.

We'll take the success and let you feed of the trivia.
The bitterness towards Real is just unreal. Every victory, every result, every title is scrutinized and people come up with 100 reasons daily to hate Real any way, just to make themselves feel better.
Yeah it's about that. You're free to feel that way you make yourself feel better.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Zidane doesn't care about looking classless and being the bad guy

He really is almost the perfect manager for us and Florentino in particular

Don't like it though. After the league they played...Zidane should be the first in line :lol:

And yes, it is classless and small time, which is why we needed Zidane to be the bad guy. Otherwise we would've dragged our feet the whole way but ultimately would have done it

Brightonian

Yeah.

On the contrary were Liverpool to refuse giving us one I'd find that hilarious
For sure. The thing is, it's amazing whether they do it or don't, because either option is agony for them.

Can't really express how relieved I am that we beat City and didn't have to host their title celebrations.

Andersons Dietician

Pathetic really. Sports supposed to be a competition between gentlemen. You show respect at the end, then try again next year. Feck boxers, fighters can have wars and after all is said nd done shake hands hug it out. Classless, tasteless and pathetic.

Uniquim

I wonder if them potentially winning unbeaten has something to do with it (assuming it's never been done before).

Unlikely though.
Athletic Bilbao did it in 1929-30, and Real Madrid did it in 1931-32. At the time there were only 18 games though.

In more recent times, the closest to going a full season unbeaten was Real Madrid in 1988-89, and Barcelona in 2009-10, both seasons ended with one defeat in the league, to Celta Vigo and Atlético Madrid respectively. Both away from home.

clarkydaz

I think it would be small time of it weren't for the fact that Catalonia doesn't want to be a part of Spain. So I can understand if the capital of Spain doesn't want to honour the capital of Spain in anyway shape or form . It's not like Liverpool Vs Manchester where it's just football rivalry. It goes much deeper. I can understand why Madrid may not want to give them that during this time
its far from just football rivalry. While politics are not directly involved, the two cities simply do not like or interact with each other

dogwithabone

My thoughts exactly. Half the time the team watching is already mentally beaten just from watching it.

Yes it’s astonishing in this day and age when so much emphasis is put on fine mental margins in sport that an opposing team virtually stand to attention and seemingly respect the haka. It shows a real mental weakness and god knows how much more pumped up the all blacks must be seeing the opposition looking in awe at them before a ball is kicked.