Real to reject Guard of Honour for Barcelona | Small time or nothing major?

Well it's not very becoming is it, especially if Barca has done it for them in the past.

montpelier

teams should do what they like, apart from being ready to kick off

even having to come out together & all shake hands is bollocks if you ask me

Oldyella

It's a stupid bloody idea anyway, and should just be done away with, but this does make Real look a bit small time

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Why do people think it's a stupid idea? I don't get it. A team wins and you want to say well done. What is so stupid about that? I hate Barca but this is small time from Real.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
This is what I thought as well... can any la liga fans confirm?
Yes,Barsa refused to do it since they only do it if the club participates in the same competition(according to Bartomeu).
However they did to Sevilla after winning UEFA in 2006,and Valverde,training in Villarreal did the guard of honor to Barcelona after winning the club world cup,2010 I think,therefore Barcelona explanations sounded as an excuse.
It seems that not to do it is Zidane's personal decision,and the club or players didn't know before the press conference.
As I said in la liga thread I think they should do it

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
They boo their own players including Ronaldo so I am not surprised by this. After Liverpool and City, Real are my most hated club. Can’t stand them!

borrays

Didn't Barca refuse to given them a guard of honour after winning the world club cup?
Why would they gave them a guard of honour for a competition they didnt take part? weak excuse imho. Beside Barca already gave them a guard of honour when Real won La Liga in 2006. it's pathetic from Ramos imho, just hope Zidane or Perez step in and tell the players to show bit respect to the champions.

RossoBianco

The guard of honour is the same as watching the other team lift the trophy if you lose a cup final. It’s a show of respect to the other team but also galvanising point for your team if they’ve got any balls. No professional would ever want to watch their bitter rivals succeed but you do it to remember that feeling and make sure it never happens again. It’s such a shithouse move to cry off and not do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

mav_9me

Yes,Barsa refused to do it since they only do it if the club participates in the same competition(according to Bartomeu).
However they did to Sevilla after winning UEFA in 2006,and Valverde,training in Villarreal did the guard of honor to Barcelona after winning the club world cup,2010 I think,therefore Barcelona explanations sounded as an excuse.
It seems that not to do it is Zidane's personal decision,and the club or players didn't know before the press conference.
As I said in la liga thread I think they should do it
It would be stupid to give a guard of honor for every club that wins something somewhere. Should Real give a guard of honor to Bayern cuz they won the Bundesliga? No, the same way Barca were right to not give it when Real won the World club cup. Stupid to do it for Sevilla for Europa league.

Real should do it. I would ask my players to do it, so that they remember how awful it feels.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Small-time & nothing major.
Guard of honor should be done with in my opinion, but while it's still a custom it should be followed.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Pathetic from ramos as he didn't mind walking out to one when real won it.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
They should do it. No need to stoop to Barca's level and refuse. Plus, it's the fecking league ffs not some mickey mouse cup.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Its a nonsense concept, just like the bullshit with the shaking hands before the match.

cyberman

Why would they gave them a guard of honour for a competition they didnt take part? weak excuse imho. Beside Barca already gave them a guard of honour when Real won La Liga in 2006. it's pathetic from Ramos imho, just hope Zidane or Perez step in and tell the players to show bit respect to the champions.
They kind of did participate in it though since you need to win the CL to qualify?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
It would be stupid to give a guard of honor for every club that wins something somewhere. Should Real give a guard of honor to Bayern cuz they won the Bundesliga? No, the same way Barca were right to not give it when Real won the World club cup. Stupid to do it for Sevilla for Europa league.

Real should do it. I would ask my players to do it, so that they remember how awful it feels.
the issue is that the explanations did not sound convincing. This should be an act of respect, but when you have to beg the other club to show you respect, it loses much of its essence.
If I'm not mistaken, Zidane's decision came during the comments for the Juventus penalty, and I interpret it as an act of camaraderie with the dressing room something like "I'm going to show my face for you".
One more notch in the chain of reproaches between the clubs, from the elite players, to the referees or to the chivalry, with its two versions, "valors" against "señorío".
I have never seen clubs from different countries doing It. In any case, doing it to Sevilla is respect, between Madrid and Barcelona it is humiliation, and they did not want to.
After la liga they have done, they would have to feck off and swallow the bitter pill

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Didn't Barca refuse to given them a guard of honour after winning the world club cup?
Why the feck do you need a guard of honour for the Club World Cup?
It's a two game tournament and Barca did not participate in it.

cyberman

Valencia and Betis did before Barca refused over the last two years? They weren't exactly battling it out with Madrid in the tournament.
Its a pathetic recent trend, these things should disappear along with managers handshakes but its a bit strange to be applying arbitrary rules of thumb for a nothing gesture.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Valencia and Betis did before Barca refused over the last two years? They weren't exactly battling it out with Madrid in the tournament.
Its a pathetic recent trend, these things should disappear along with managers handshakes but its a bit strange to be applying arbitrary rules of thumb for a nothing gesture.
I agree.
Two managers that obviously don't like each other, shaking hands is stupid.
Especially if they start calling each other names.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Well, it's not like Real Madrid have participated in the league this year either:D

dogwithabone

Why should they give a guard of honour ? The games gone soft with all this pathetic back slapping. As a fan it wouldn’t bother me one bit if the opposition didn’t give my title winning team a guard of honour. No one ever used to do it and everything rocked along perfectley nicely. it’s one of these fads a bit like giving every Tom, Dick and Harry a minutes applause when they pass away.

I can never get my head around why opposition teams stand and watch The Haka in rugby. Far far too much respect. I’d turn my back or if I was the coach call a team meeting or something down the tunnel.

Bwuk

Pathetic.

If real didn’t want to do it for Barca they should of won the league themselves.

I’d hate it if we had to do it for Liverpool but if it happens then it happens.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Zidane should make them do it and ensure they never have to experience anything like it again.

robinrooney

Classless from Madrid but expect nothing less

We showed how to do it yesterday. Fergie hated Wenger and had loads of ding dongs with him. Same for Jose. But when it came time to do what's right, we did not hesitate. We actually went a step further by presenting him with a vase thingy which we did not have to do but we did as we are respectful as a club and a bunch of fans.

Madrid are cnuts

I still hope they win the Champions League though

Brightonian

Honestly if we had to do one for Liverpool and the club refused I can't say I'd have a problem with that.

Chelsea no problem, Arsenal sure, even City fair enough. But Liverpool... nah, I'd rather be 'small time'.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Classless from a self entitled spoilt club, wouldn't expect any less from them

Charlie Foley

Honestly if we had to do one for Liverpool and the club refused I can't say I'd have a problem with that.

Chelsea no problem, Arsenal sure, even City fair enough. But Liverpool... nah, I'd rather be 'small time'.
Yeah.

On the contrary were Liverpool to refuse giving us one I'd find that hilarious

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
They aren't obligated to do it, but it is extremely petty not to given the unbelievably stupid reason they are using to justify it. Literally no-one anywhere talked about pasillos before the first Clasico, because it isn't for Super Cups, otherwise every team would do it all season long. Either nut up and do it, or just say "we don't take part in this tradition anymore" without the BS reasoning.

I guarantee the players that did it for Barca in 2008 remembered it the following season, and the next time they went to the Bernabeu they dished out a historic beating. A manager that isn't a total throbber would tell his players "Do this, and remember how it feels".