Real to reject Guard of Honour for Barcelona | Small time or nothing major?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Pretty pathetic. I'd have us do it for City or Liverpool if they won the title. And the club would have ensured it as well. In fact I don't think it would have been up for debate.

amolbhatia50k

Barcelona wouldn't do it for Madrid either. Don't understand the fuss around guards of honour. It doesn't really matter whether it's done or not.
Haven't they done it before?

amolbhatia50k

The whole Guard of Honour thing is really stupid and unnecessary. So City are going to get clapped onto the pitch for the rest of the season??

Going on about sportsmanship and being small time is a joke, when you consider all the diving and dirty tackles that go on in the game.

I don't blame Real Madrid at all! It shouldn't be a compulsory thing either.
What's wrong with it? It's a good tradition to applaud the best team in the land. Whether we do it for others, or others for us. There's diving and dirty tackles in a high pressure/octane sport? I guess that means chuck respect, tradition and fair play entirely.

Infact I wish Sir Alex and Mourinho had mocked Wenger on Sunday instead of facilitating and celebrating him. Because.. diving. feck yeah.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Pretty small time. Its a bloody sport, respect your fellow professionals and put personal grievances/rivalries aside.

You just recently have to look at how United honored Wenger.

Treble

Small time kings. Hardly surprising though.

I wonder about the repercussions regarding Spain's chances in the WC.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't care, the same way I don't care whether Martial artist touch gloves before a fight. They don't have to be good losers and as long as they don't break any rules, they are entitled to not give a guard of honour or shake their hands.

Oldyella

That would be simply stupid though.

Notwithstanding the cultural backlash that would ensue, it just riles up the other team. Who just happened to be the greatest National team in sport.
If I remember rightly, Richard Cockerill faced up the Haka at Twickenham and got a bollocking for it. Even from Martin Johnson who asked wtf he had done as they walked away as it ended.

Always prefer it to be challenged, fund it weird they are basically allowed to do a war dance in front of you and you have to stand there and watch it.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I always welcome instances of humility and fair play in football, and I think that opportunities such as the one presented to Real Madrid should be seized upon. But it's not as if this is something mandatory, and rightly so as it would defeat its purpose otherwise. It's really up to them, and even if some players refuse to participate, people who are able to swallow their pride and acknowledge the achievement of their bitter rivals should certainly do so. All in all this is a really trivial issue compared to other more serious problems football, cases where not having a unified front would really hurt the game and those who are actively involved in it. This is, thankfully not one of them.

Last edited:

SpyLuke10

Its a shame, Real Madrid used to be such a classy club, case and point - how they reacted to the munich crash, offering us di stefano. now they are classless knobheads.

Murray3007

In fairness i dont think any team should really get a guard of honour, but its been a bit of a tradition of late and Barca have done it for Madrid before, but like all ready said shows a lack of class from Madrid which is very commen for that club.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Did Barca participate in UEFA cup when they gave the guard of honor to Sevilla? Actually one can argue that they did participate in CWC since they just couldn't make it (be CL champions), so they were just bitter.

Plus, the decision has nothing to do with the club, it is made by Zidané only, and he's got good reason for it.

The Purley King

At the end of the day, its a sport and clubs should be able to lose graciously.
Would be mortified if we didn't give the league winners a guard of honour, it comes across bitter and small time. If you don't like doing it then make sure you don't have to next season by winning the league.......

Cezzine

Supports
Real Madrid
Hahaha its amazing how much envious and hateful people vs Madrid write here, specially without having any idea of what the rivalry of Madrid and Barca respresents today in Spain.

First of all, I see a lot of hypocrit Barca fans that claim Barca didn't did it after Madrid won the WC because they didn't played in that tournament.
So tell me, why they did it to Sevilla a few years ago for winning the UEFA? Or why the Spanish teams like Villareal (with Valverde as manager) or Betis did it to Barcelona after winning also the WC? When they say you only have to do it when both play that tournament is false and a cheap excuse as history has shown us.

Then, today the rivalry between the clubs is not only a sport's thing as some people here suggest (pretty sure they shoud stick to discussing in PL threads, here they are looking ridiculous).

It has to do a lot with politics, nationalism, etc...

Barca represents the independentists, people that hate Spain, that don't respect the country, that hate and disrespect the King, the anthem and the flag, vs Madrid that represents Spain. Add on the top of that the sport's hate they have, and you have the biggest rivalry in the world in any sport.

Its not only football, its much more than that.

Decades ago if Barca made it to Madrid or Madrid to Barca, it was considered as an act of respect and recognition to the Champions. Today its an act of humillation, and the ones that will suffer it the most are the fans of the team.

Why would they show respect to a club that you hate and they hate you, that doesn't respects you, your King, your country or any of their symbols? Of course they don't have to.

I know much of you hate Real, but please, most of you wouldn't stand to do it to Liverpool or City, and their rivalry with United isn't even comparable.

So get over it, the Guard of Honor between this teams will never be done again. Better for both clubs...

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Just to add some more info.

I just read this Guard of Honor was made after the CWC in 1998, 2002 and 2014 to Real Madrid but Sevilla didn't do it in 2016.

Barcelona also received it in 2010 and 2015, but apparently Guardiola asked L'Hospitalet not to do it in 2011 because they had "already celebrated it in Japan". Villarreal did it under Valverde for Barcelona after one CWC.

So actually there was some tradition with the CWC, that was broken by Sevilla in 2016 and Barcelona in 2017.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Hahaha its amazing how much envious and hateful people vs Madrid write here, specially without having any idea of what the rivalry of Madrid and Barca respresents today in Spain.

First of all, I see a lot of hypocrit Barca fans that claim Barca didn't did it after Madrid won the WC because they didn't played in that tournament.
So tell me, why they did it to Sevilla a few years ago for winning the UEFA? Or why the Spanish teams like Villareal (with Valverde as manager) or Betis did it to Barcelona after winning also the WC? When they say you only have to do it when both play that tournament is false and a cheap excuse as history has shown us.

Then, today the rivalry between the clubs is not only a sport's thing as some people here suggest (pretty sure they shoud stick to discussing in PL threads, here they are looking ridiculous).

It has to do a lot with politics, nationalism, etc...

Barca represents the independentists, people that hate Spain, that don't respect the country, that hate and disrespect the King, the anthem and the flag, vs Madrid that represents Spain. Add on the top of that the sport's hate they have, and you have the biggest rivalry in the world in any sport.

Its not only football, its much more than that.

Decades ago if Barca made it to Madrid or Madrid to Barca, it was considered as an act of respect and recognition to the Champions. Today its an act of humillation, and the ones that will suffer it the most are the fans of the team.

Why would they show respect to a club that you hate and they hate you, that doesn't respects you, your King, your country or any of their symbols? Of course they don't have to.

I know much of you hate Real, but please, most of you wouldn't stand to do it to Liverpool or City, and their rivalry with United isn't even comparable.

So get over it, the Guard of Honor between this teams will never be done again. Better for both clubs...
All the more reason to do the decent thing and show that sport has a capacity to unite and rise above that sort of stuff. Because you’re presumably going to be cheering on Catalan players in the World Cup this summer. I guess you only want to show them respect when it suits you?

Cezzine

Supports
Real Madrid
Why would they gave them a guard of honour for a competition they didnt take part? weak excuse imho. Beside Barca already gave them a guard of honour when Real won La Liga in 2006. it's pathetic from Ramos imho, just hope Zidane or Perez step in and tell the players to show bit respect to the champions.
Why the feck do you need a guard of honour for the Club World Cup?
It's a two game tournament and Barca did not participate in it.
Because when Barca won it, Villareal and Betis did it to them? :houllier: And Barca did it before to Sevilla after winning UEFA... :rolleyes:

Except Barca did?
This year they didn't and they should. Wouldn't had been the first time doing it to a team that played in a different competition. The problem was that it was Madrid, and it is understandable.

Barca had nothing to do with the CWC, they weren't even eligible for that tournament. Deportivo gave Barca one for Copa Del Rey.

Pretty pathetic from Madrid's perspective, but no one should be surprised.
And Barca gave one to Sevilla for UEFA. Also Betis and Villareal (with Valverde as manager) gave one to Barca after winning the WC. It only shows the team and fans traumas and inferiority complex vs Madrid.

And of course, as always hypocrits and with selective memory, but don't worry, you can be sure no one is surprised... ;)

Cezzine

Supports
Real Madrid
All the more reason to do the decent thing and show that sport has a capacity to unite and rise above that sort of stuff. Because you’re presumably going to be cheering on Catalan players in the World Cup this summer. I guess you only want to show them respect when it suits you?
Of course not, you will be cheereing to Spain as a team, and all the players that want to play and fight for that shirt and country.

But to show respect and recognition to the Barcelona team, to that club? Of course not. Barcelona supports the independentists, literally.

The team is a symbol to them, and as incredible as it seems, when Barcelona beats Madrid, for them it not only represents a team beating another team, but the team of the independentists beating the team of Spain.

Obviously there are Barca fans all around the world that are not even spanish or catalans, but Abrca as a team represents that.

Search what means their team phrase 'Mes que un club'...

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Of course not, you will be cheereing to Spain as a team, and all the players that want to play and fight for that shirt and country.

But to show respect and recognition to the Barcelona team, to that club? Of course not. Barcelona supports the independentists, literally.

The team is a symbol to them, and as incredible as it seems, when Barcelona beats Madrid, for them it not only represents a team beating another team, but the team of the independentists beating the team of Spain.

Obviously there are Barca fans all around the world that are not even spanish or catalans, but Abrca as a team represents that.

Search what means their team phrase 'Mes que un club'...
So what? They're in the same league, they've won it, stop being bitter.

If Swansea/Cardiff won the Premier League & Plaid Cymru launched an independence campaign, I'd... Probably laugh at first, but the thought of not giving them a Guard of Honour wouldn't even enter my mind.

UTDbornfan

I don't think anyone here would want to do it for Liverpool if they ever win the league, and I doubt anyone would think of it as to being classless. It's just being a rival.
Any examples of us doing a guard of honour for Chelsea or Arsenal isn't even comparable to Liverpool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infra-red

Obviously they do not have to give a guard of honour.

Equally, Fergie didn't have to turn up in the away team dressing room with bottles of Champagne when Arsenal clinched the title by beating us at Old Trafford in 2002. But he did it anyway.

Real Madrid are pathetic and embarrassing.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
It's nothing major obviously, just one excuse for those who want to hate to make the hate bigger.

Barcelona didn't respect the tradition in 2017, that's a fact, although admittedly Sevilla broke it one year before as well. And since Barcelona themselves gave it after one of Sevilla's Europa Leagues, it really doesn't matter if they were playing the competition or not.

I doubt Zidane and Ramos care much about politics by the way. 1998, 2002, 2009, 2011, 2014, 2015. In none of those years the rivals wanted to break the tradition. Sevilla and Barcelona did in 2016 and 2017, so that's the start of everything.

Akshay

Staff
I don't think anyone here would want to do it for Liverpool if they ever win the league, and I doubt anyone would think of it as to being classless. It's just being a rival.
Any examples of us doing a guard of honour for Chelsea or Arsenal isn't even comparable to Liverpool.
Want to do it? No. But we should, if such a thing should ever occur, rival or not. And I'm pretty sure United would, too.

Denis79

It's a political decision I'm 100% certain of this. If the Catalans never announced their independence from Spain last year Madrid would have given them a guard of honour.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Obviously they do not have to give a guard of honour.

Equally, Fergie didn't have to turn up in the away team dressing room with bottles of Champagne when Arsenal clinched the title by beating us at Old Trafford in 2002. But he did it anyway.

Real Madrid are pathetic and embarrassing.
That's absolute class to be fair.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Why is Ramos saying they aren’t doing it? It should come from the manager. If zidane disagrees then he should make them do it

ChaddyP

I think it would be small time of it weren't for the fact that Catalonia doesn't want to be a part of Spain. So I can understand if the capital of Spain doesn't want to honour the capital of Spain in anyway shape or form . It's not like Liverpool Vs Manchester where it's just football rivalry. It goes much deeper. I can understand why Madrid may not want to give them that during this time

TheLiverBird

Its not about "Wanting" to do a guard of Honour, its about sportsmanship

Real have totally lacked class on this front with some players showing zero sportsmanship abilities

As a Liverpool fan I'd hate to give guys a guard of honour, your all a bunch of (just joking :nono::D)

But I still wouldn't have a problem with it, afterwards I'd just be crying in the cupboard underneath the stairs in my underpants with a bottle of Jack Daniels blubbering out "we'll do it next yeaaaarrr" It's not the end of the world

Although for those few weeks in my pants under the stairs drinking heavily crying, I'm sure it would feel like it

Anyway

Real

Classless

gaucho_10

Typical real. All that success still cant buy you class.
We'll take the success and let you feed of the trivia.
The bitterness towards Real is just unreal. Every victory, every result, every title is scrutinized and people come up with 100 reasons daily to hate Real any way, just to make themselves feel better.

El Zoido

There’s no law about it, but they should do it. Have some class and show respect to the team that won the title no matter how much you hate them. I’d expect nothing less from Madrid though.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
The media have made it to be a sign of humiliation instead of a sign of respect so I think it's something that's going to die out from the sport.

Madrid still should have done it but they'll congratulate the Barcelona players anyway. I'm sure none of them even care about this.

gaucho_10

Barca had nothing to do with the CWC, they weren't even eligible for that tournament.
Exactly, they had nothing to do with it because they didn't win the champions league which they participated in together with Real.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It's Real Madrid, They're the experts of making small things big.

Camilo

Giving a guard of honour to any football team is the pathetic thing - it's only football. Quite right Madrid don't make a thing of it. Doing so would only be for the media.