Realistic buyers...

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We have a Norwegian manager. We have a lot of fans in Norway. Norway has the biggest Sovereign Wealth Fund in the world to the tune of something like 1% of all the world's wealth which is over $1 trillion.

Get them to pinch in 20-30% and find some proper British investors, ideally a Fans' Trust. The Glazers can have 40ish % left.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
For all the will in the world, I’m struggling to see any realistic buyers for our club that have the right money, pass a fit and proper test and do not breach anti-competition legislation.

Be that as it may, looks as good a time as any. So, realistically, who are out options?
Roman Abramovic(?)

We need the German model at the very least, whereby, by law, the fans have a controlling stake. I don't want to see United under the control of private individuals ever again. It is our club - all of us - and should be controlled by all of us. It should never be the property of one family or one consortium; it is not private property. This club belongs to millions of people around the world who should own it and run it democratically. We are not customers, we are the members of a great institution.

Last edited:

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We are a decent hedge fund option I think. All good acquisitions come after an extended period of mismanagement. That mismanagement is usually reflected in the price and the new buyer has the simple task of managing the business correctly for a reasonable period and then selling it on.

stevoc

Unless you want to buy Newcastle.
Think that has only been held up because another group of very wealthy people who put money into the PL were against it.

It had nothing to do with the potential buyers.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Bezos would be a sacking owner. Elon is just mentally unstable.

The best hopes would be Gates or Ballmer. But Gates doesn't seem to invest in anything that entertains but saving lives. Cnut!

So Ballmer then.

DMacgraw

Each of the 43,520 members would need to pay £70k. I'm game.
Won't be enough. I fully expect the Glazers to demand something close to 4b. Each member must be willing to put in at least 90k.

Tallis

We apparently have a global fan base of 1.1 billion. Assuming 1/10th of them can be convinced to becomes owners, we have c. 100 million fans. Our market cap is US$2.8bn ? Everyone cough up US$30 / fan and we can do this.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Will we see this level of ferocity of opposition from the fans if the Saudi's enter the race to take us over? I hope so. Thoughts?
You're fortunate to have not read the mental Saudi takeover threads on here with the most pathetic of arguments to support why it should happen. They are always bumped after random twitter updates that never have any substance to them as well.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
We apparently have a global fan base of 1.1 billion. Assuming 1/10th of them can be convinced to becomes owners, we have c. 100 million fans. Our market cap is US$2.8bn ? Everyone cough up US$30 / fan and we can do this.
Hell I'll pitch in 10 times that bc I'm such a high roller and I want to be a majority shareholder. Math is also my strong suit.

Tarrou

the lads in the crypto thread will take care of this

just need poo-coin to 10,000x and some diamond hands and we're sorted

Halftrack

We have a Norwegian manager. We have a lot of fans in Norway. Norway has the biggest Sovereign Wealth Fund in the world to the tune of something like 1% of all the world's wealth which is over $1 trillion.

Get them to pinch in 20-30% and find some proper British investors, ideally a Fans' Trust. The Glazers can have 40ish % left.
I've been advocating for this for years, but the King never replies to my emails about it.

::sonny::

Hope he’s still interested

He can buy the woody shares

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
For all the will in the world, I’m struggling to see any realistic buyers for our club that have the right money, pass a fit and proper test and do not breach anti-competition legislation.

Be that as it may, looks as good a time as any. So, realistically, who are out options?
We have a vast amount of rich fans who love the club and have some decent influence or know people with influence, surely a Consortium could be set-up backed by a Bank who frankly would be licking their lips at the interest they would get back.

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
Manchester United Famous Fans : Gary Oldman, Kit Harrington, Ian McShane, Connor McGregor, Nigel Benn, Stormzy, Olly Murs, Usain Bolt, Danny O' Donoghue, Dominic Monaghan, Iain Glenn, Conleth Hill, Sam Bradley, John Simm, Julia Roberts and more. Plenty of People with Money and Influence who could easily be persuaded to be apart of a consortium to buy the club.

lsd

The Oracle
Manchester United Famous Fans : Gary Oldman, Kit Harrington, Ian McShane, Connor McGregor, Nigel Benn, Stormzy, Olly Murs, Usain Bolt, Danny O' Donoghue, Dominic Monaghan, Iain Glenn, Conleth Hill, Sam Bradley, John Simm, Julia Roberts and more. Plenty of People with Money and Influence who could easily be persuaded to be apart of a consortium to buy the club.

What a board that would be

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We have a vast amount of rich fans who love the club and have some decent influence or know people with influence, surely a Consortium could be set-up backed by a Bank who frankly would be licking their lips at the interest they would get back.
Nowhere near rich enough, any consortium realistically trying to but the club will just run it like Arsenal, again - due to being nowhere near rich enough. To make any sort of return on such an outlay will require extreme frugality, and to not require any sort of return on that sort of outlay will again, require people rich enough to not miss such money. The banks wouldn’t stand for it, they’d demand their money back and I’ve even seen Stormzy mentioned, who hasn’t even got as much money as Marcus Rashford!

Lentwood

I think this is missing the point somewhat. It's well and good having new owners but that doesn't change the fact we're at the mercy of the whims of an individual.

The rules need to change to make it impossible for an individual to have sole control over a football club. I don't know how you do this legally or financially, someone cleverer than I will have to explain that.

Blake's 7

The Glazers don't need to and won't sell. They have an asset that continues to increase in value whilst others service the debt for them allowing them to continue to harvest the dividends. It's like having a buy to rent mortgage - the rent covers the debt and pays a profit, the house price keeps going up. They, UNFORTUNATELY, will not sell unless they get an unrealistically large bid and where is that coming from in the current climate?

BULB

No one will be buying us until it's made certain 50+1 won't be happening.

RUCK4444

The Glazers don't need to and won't sell. They have an asset that continues to increase in value whilst others service the debt for them allowing them to continue to harvest the dividends. It's like having a buy to rent mortgage - the rent covers the debt and pays a profit, the house price keeps going up. They, UNFORTUNATELY, will not sell unless they get an unrealistically large bid and where is that coming from in the current climate?
Saudi Arabia... it’s the only way.

Why is this even a question, nobody else will fork out the money required to tempt the Glazers into selling.

I’m in, I’ve been sat on this bus waiting for others to jump on board since it was last suggested.

If you don’t like it then be happy with the Yankies. Anybody similar to the Glazers will only take more money out than these leaches do already.

MTF

I keep seeing stuff about Jim Ratcliffe.
Seems to be the only single person who would be rich enough. I don't see someone worth just 5 billion for example, putting over half their wealth into a football club vanity project. If you're worth 5 billion you probably don't have more than 500 million that's even in liquid assets to begin with.

But Ratcliffe has said he doesn't like the valuation, thinks it would be a bad investment. The read from that comment is not just that he's unlikely to want to do it, but also that if he were to buy it he would be looking to make a return, not fund fans' dreams of buying the latest highly touted prospect every season.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
There’s an interesting article in the DM, apologies, and in it he talks about these rich owners.

It’s all well and good saying this person could buy the club or that person or group could but ultimately unless forced they have to be willing sellers.

Carragher talks about they won’t be able to attend games. does anyone really think that will truly upset any of the owners?

But in all this it’s the hypocrisy that amazes me particularly the players. If they really felt for the supporters they wouldn’t take so much out of the game. OK I am not naive to think that the owners wouldn’t rub their hands with glee but there is a direct link between wages and ticket costs. So when this player or that player wants an extra £2-3 million a year that has to come from somewhere