Reality-Monopoly Draft

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I weep for Pupi.

Edit: ffs, didn't realise someone picked him. Skipped him for Keane with a heavy heart.
I suspect it was the lack of thigh exposure on the image used.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
That is if you get that dying is wrong, for example. Or that you can eliminate the threat by shooting at it. Or that you can move and you should go forward in order to succeed.

(showcasing my latin) But the network itself is a tabula rasa - and if the concept of a game, winning etc. is natural to human (homo ludens and everything), or any other conscious animal, it's not a given to a blank neural network, which has to learn somehow that winning is better than not winning.

A strange place to have this discussion, probably
Do you have a link to that ? Because i thought the tabula rasa aspect was only in regards to rules and programming of the specific games but the deep network still had an overarching premise like "high score = good" that spurs the learning process.

On a side note related to AI , I definitely will not be an early adopter of the self driving cars which is going to be the first real big test of AI in a real world situation rathet than beating people at Go

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Do you have a link to that ? Because i thought the tabula rasa aspect was only in regards to rules and programming of the specific games but the deep network still had an overarching premise like "high score = good" that spurs the learning process.
Googling that... I guess I oversold it. They don't know that there are monsters, walls, that they have to shoot or kill, but when they find ammo they "understand that it's good", so there is some basic understanding of good/bad programmed into them.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Googling that... I guess I oversold it. They don't know that there are monsters, walls, that they have to shoot or kill, but when they find ammo they "understand that it's good", so there is some basic understanding of good/bad programmed into them.
Yeah thay makes sense. If i remember one early challenge for those self driving cars is how to balance the goal of keeping the driver safe compared to reducing collisions on the road.

antohan

All that was lacking there was Giggs' chest hair popping out.

Not sure what I like most about that image, the thighs or the way he looks completely comfortable and non-plussed about the threat of Ryan Giggs of all people.

Without a shadow of a doubt my favourite RB ever.

antohan

That is if you get that dying is wrong, for example. Or that you can eliminate the threat by shooting at it. Or that you can move and you should go forward in order to succeed.

(showcasing my latin) But the network itself is a tabula rasa - and if the concept of a game, winning etc. is natural to human (homo ludens and everything), or any other conscious animal, it's not a given to a blank neural network, which has to learn somehow that winning is better than not winning.

A strange place to have this discussion, probably
Surely after a few rounds of standing still and getting shot the network will try to do something. Not to win but just because the exercise looks completely pointless and there must be more to it. At the very least this "tabula rasa" should have an in-built inquisitive nature that leads to trial and error?

antohan

Apologies guys, I'm at the funeral. I'll make the pick in a few hours.

If you guys can't wait then move on without me and I'll make a lick tonight.
Drop me a few lines with tactics you are going for and key roles you need and I'll give you a bunch of options to choose from.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Apologies guys, I'm at the funeral. I'll make the pick in a few hours.

If you guys can't wait then move on without me and I'll make a lick tonight.
:lol:

Don't worry you still have time.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Hmm stuck in two minds here about which way to go from here.
I frankly don't see why you'd care either way. A «special event» could feck you over completely - and that's without considering that you will lose a random player through injury at some point.

Making plans is pointless. The only thing which makes sense in this draft is to ride your luck.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Cheers, we were looking to give you a good player that also fits the style.

Will pick in half an our just getting up.
He has the DNA to join my team :)

About fecking time! Picked him as my Nesta non-WC winning (x2) replacement.

Since NM can't pick my next guy, I'm almost done with name and surname targets (i.e. clear top target for a role). Just one more, then fill up the rest easily.
Indeed - in a draft where you have limited visibility on the final team - Krol is a gift since he was successful as a LB and Sweeper

Skizzo

I frankly don't see why you'd care either way. A «special event» could feck you over completely - and that's without considering that you will lose a random player through injury at some point.

Making plans is pointless. The only thing which makes sense in this draft is to ride your luck.
True, although I like to have some kind of blueprint in mind. As it keeps me somewhat focused and enjoying the draft more than just showing up each round, seeing what's fecked is over this time, and throwing a name out there.

Granted, I know the whole premise of the draft is to be a clusterfeck, but still...

Moby

Dick
All that was lacking there was Giggs' chest hair popping out.

Not sure what I like most about that image, the thighs or the way he looks completely comfortable and non-plussed about the threat of Ryan Giggs of all people.

Without a shadow of a doubt my favourite RB ever.
It is why, I fecking keep banging on the drum that he who wins the mental battle wins the game, period! You can be the strongest, fastest, tallest, and have the technique down to a tee, none of that can ever, EVER, overcome someone who's already seen 3 steps ahead of you. We know what Cruyff said about pace -

What is speed? The sports press often confuses speed with insight. See, if I start running slightly earlier than someone else, I seem faster.
This - right here - is absolutely the be all and end all in this sport. One needn't go past Pep's Barca to see just how powerful you can be simply by having an absolute beast when it comes to strategy, planning and speed of thought - and he went by the name of Xavi. The second he declined, that absolute foothold Barca used to have over teams went away. You still had a GOAT talent winning games simply because how good he was and is, and the 15 CL winning side still seemed unbeatable but there is a word called - control! No one had a fecking clue on what level Xavi used to think and run games. It's where the end game lies and the true greats attain that level. There's a reason I start running low on testosterone when the names of Redondo or Scirea, or Xavi for that matter are mentioned - simply masters of the mental game who'd checkmate you before you've touched the ball. That for me is where the beauty of watching this sport lies, brains >>>>> brauns, forever!

NM

Saw your team and your probably right. Only mine is better of course :)

antohan

It is why, I fecking keep banging on the drum that he who wins the mental battle wins the game, period!
You are preaching to the converted here.

Although my idea of mental battle has huge doses of brawn/blood and thunder, I always look for that first in a team: who are the guys who will stand out, streets ahead of the rest in their ability to enforce THEIR will on the game?

That's what wins you the tight contests, not stats or fancy tricks.

I did get your point earlier with Redondo, although I disagreed on the choice of game (soooo many variables). To fully appreciate him I actually think you have to look past the magnet comments, peak perfirmances surrounded by sheer quality and go back to his Tenerife games. He was absolutely incredible, a force of nature. A bit like how I keep refusing to place Messi above Maradona. Fair or not, it is when surrounded by ordinary -not crap- men that you can gage the significant impact their genius and dominant performances makes.

antohan

Disagree. Randomness means you should PLAN for a flexible side not overreliant on any one player.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Good question: which player (in this draft) is the most appealing man for women?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@RedTiger

I'm sure anto has advised you to take him :wenger:

In terms of versatility, he's perfect. Brilliant stats for a hard-working player.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

R8 Rolls

1 P-Nut | 6 | 20
2 harms | 9 | 27
3 Tuppet | 8 | 14
4 oneniltothearsenal | 7 | 19
5 Pat_Mustard | 7 | 23
6 Skizzo | 8 | 26
7 mazhar13 | 8 | 10
8 2mufc0 | 11 | 23
9 prath92 | 5 | 9
10 Chesterlestreet | 5 | 21
11 Oaencha | 6 | 26
12 Moby | 3 | 13
13 RedTiger | 6 | 17
14 NM | 7 | 11
15 Enigma_87 | 4 | 25
16 Ecstatic | 6 | 25

P-Nut - 1. Ronaldinho (9) 2. D. De Gea (13) 3. Neymar (19) 4. DROPPED 5. A. Sanchez (26) 6. Bale (16) 7. G Heinze

harms - 1. DROPPED (10) 2. G. Donnarumma (20) 3. L. Figo (1) 4. R. Marquez (7) 5. L. Riva (12) 6. R. Giggs (18) 7. Carvajal

Tuppet - 1. M. Desailly (2) 2. J. Neeskens (9) 3. DROPPED 4. D. Dzajic (19) 5. L. Suarez (14) 6. Van Hanegem (6) 7. A. Chivadze

Onenil/ctp - 1. J. Bican (D) 2. DROPPED 3. G. Facchetti (25) 4. H. Stoichkov (4) 5. J. Bozsik (8) 6. J. Zanetti (12) 7. D. Walker

Pat_Mustard - 1. R. Gullit (11) 2. A. Brehme (16) 3. DROPPED 4. P. McGrath (2) 5. Paco Gento (23) 6. A. Pirlo (16) 7. Viv Anderson

Skizzo - 1. Kaka 2. R. Dasayev 3. G. Souness 4. DROPPED 5. M. Buchan 6. R van Nistelrooy (18) 7. I. Helguera

mazhar13 - 1. D. Law (4) 2. U. Seeler (11) 3. P. Nedvěd (16) 4. DROPPED 5. J. Santamaria (19) 6. P. Vieira (2) 7. S. Jardine

2mufc0 - 1. DROPPED 2. E. Davids (17) 3. P.R. Falcao (25) 4. Z. Ibrahimović (3) 5. P. Shilton (8)6. L. Thuram (12) 7. A. Carboni

prath92 - 1. M. Ballack (4) 2. T. Henry (10) 3. DROPPED (16) 4. C. Tevez (18) 5. R. Donadoni (16) 6. P. Montero (4) 7. W. Gallas

Chesterlestreet - 1. J. Masopust (6) 2. R. Baraja (13) 3. E. Cantona (18) 4. DROPPED (1) 5. J-P. Papin (1) 6. T. Finney (16) 7. D. Hamann

Oaencha - 1. A. Del Piero 2. R. Lewandowski 3. S. Gerrard 4. DROPPED 5. S. Campbell 6. O. Dembele 7. Nelinho

Moby - 1. D. Drogba (7) 2. DROPPED 3. A.Robben (17) 4. N. Vidic (14) 5. M. Sindelar (22) 6. R. Keane (10) 7. Sanchis

RedTiger - 1. C. Seedorf 2. Batistuta 3. J. Stam 4. DROPPED 5. F. Redondo 6. C. Gentile 7. Futre 8. L. Enrique

NM - 1. D. Edwards 2. P. Scholes 3. DROPPED 4. John Charles 5. Dani Alves 6. Cannavaro 7. van Bronckhorst 8. K.H. Forster

Enigma_87/Sjor - 1. DROPPED 2. R. Ferdinand (18) 3. DROPPED (26) 4. G. Mendieta (8) 5. Luis Suárez Miramontes (10) 6. K. H. Rummenigge (21) 7. J. Capdevila 8. J.Kohler (25)

Ecstatic/MDFC - 1. M. Laudrup (5) 2. Xavi (10) 3. O. Varela (19) 4. DROPPED 5. G. Bailey (1) 6. A. Shevchenko (19) 7. M. Reiziger 8. R. Krol (25)

Block list: Alfredo Di Stéfano, Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Cristiano Ronaldo, Daniel Passarella, Diego Maradona, Elias Figueroa, Eusébio, Ferenc Puskás, Franco Baresi, Franz Beckenbauer, Gaetano Scirea, Garrincha, George Best, Gerd Müller, Johan Cruyff, Lev Yashin, Lionel Messi, Lothar Matthäus, Luis Ronaldo, Marco van Basten, Matthias Sammer, Michel Platini, Paolo Maldini, Pelé, Rivaldo, Roberto Baggio, Romário, Zico, Zinedine Zidane

Dropped list: Frank Rijkaard, Samuel Eto'o, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Laurent Blanc, Philipp Lahm, Paul Breitner, Pietro Vierchowod, Giuseppe Bergomi, Kopke, Lizarazu, Jimmy Greaves, Mats Hummels, Alessandro Nesta, Oscar Ruggeri, C. Puyol, V.Valdes, A. Iniesta, Valdes